Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exaccus
Jan 2, 2015

"Hmph. Not much of a selection, is there?"
The class trailer translations have several things wrong, dark magic in this context is just regular tomes, and the golem stuff is just the translators take on the word garou, I think

and brave heroes still use swords and axes, not lances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
"Social Knight" is a hilarious literal translation.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

TWIST FIST posted:

that werewolf description hahaha

Uh, yeeeah, that's supposed to be "A werewolf that is said to eat people". I get the feeling this guy hasn't been studying Japanese very long.

Nihilarian posted:

Also apparently the upgraded werewolf is Megagolem? Weird.

It's actually Mánagarmr.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Most of those translations are painfully literal.

That said, the unit types all look pretty rad in terms of weapon diversity/combinations. Also appearance.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
w

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So promoted you in Nohr gains Dark Magic, whereas in Hoshido you gain staves.

wow hoshido really is useless

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Okay, so that's what makes Camilla's class unique, she gets tomes as her second weapon. I assumed Revenant Knight was a replacement for Griffon Rider, and would be axes-only or possibly like GBA Wyvern Lords and gains swords on promotion. Did not expect it to be the replacement for Dark Flier.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

The Iron Rose posted:

wow hoshido really is useless

It's what you deserve for betraying the family who took you in and raised you.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm playing Path of Radiance now. It's my first time playing a console Fire Emblem game. Is there anything I should take note of? Does the regular advice of avoiding using pre-promos still hold?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

It's what you deserve for betraying the family who took you in and raised you.

typical hoshido scum, turning their back on the people they love for skinship with their little sister

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vegetable posted:

I'm playing Path of Radiance now. It's my first time playing a console Fire Emblem game. Is there anything I should take note of? Does the regular advice of avoiding using pre-promos still hold?

Titania's actually pretty good as far as Jeigans/Oifeys go. Shinon is fine for the early game but availability fucks him hard. Everyone else is...ehhhhhhhh. Bastian is pretty drat bad. Calil is okay.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vegetable posted:

Actually use Titania because she's awesome.

Just don't overuse her but using her as an assassin or a unit weakener is good.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

So promoted you in Nohr gains Dark Magic, whereas in Hoshido you gain staves.

Whelp that made my Nohr decision even easier.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Look at all these scrubs who don't want to heal their waifus and/or husbandos

Nohr is still superior overall though

E: Also I'm playing FeGirls chapter 9 and Im pretty sure there's almost no way to get the ~5k gold from one chest without sending a blessed/overleveled mounted character rampaging through the level on their own ahead of the rest to intercept the thieves, except doing that means you kill a bunch of enemies with valuable weapons you can steal so it ends up not gaining you any value and wasting all the XP on one character. How am I meant to do my OCD collect-a-thon this way?

I guess if I leveled a bunch of strong mounted units and rescue-dropped my thieves + dancer to steal on the way maybe...but gently caress that.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 21, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

I know this is supposed to be benign things like hugs and pats but I can't hear the word without imagining a literal love of the person's skin to the point where you want it without the rest of them. :gonk:

Insurrectionist posted:

Look at all these scrubs who don't want to heal their waifus and/or husbandos

Real S ranks don't need healing. They're an insurmountable wall of love and death.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Obviously you should be using dark magic to kill the enemies before they hurt anyone in the first place :colbert:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

AradoBalanga posted:

Okay, so that's what makes Camilla's class unique, she gets tomes as her second weapon. I assumed Revenant Knight was a replacement for Griffon Rider, and would be axes-only or possibly like GBA Wyvern Lords and gains swords on promotion. Did not expect it to be the replacement for Dark Flier.

wasn't Garon also confirmed to be a Revenant Knight or something? we can see him using magic in the treehouse nohr livestream

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Every mounted unit is overpowered. If you want to use Titania give her all the boss kills.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Every mounted unit is overpowered. If you want to use Titania give her all the boss kills.
Why the boss kills?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Vegetable posted:

Why the boss kills?

those give plenty of EXP, enough for her to level up more quickly

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vegetable posted:

Why the boss kills?

35 XP to Titania is a lot harder to come by than 75 XP to anyone else. Boss kills are the key to getting Jeigans experience in most games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vegetable posted:

Path of radiance uses a skill system pretty heavily, and every class has a badass ultimate skill associated with it that can only be gotten from occult scrolls, which are incredibly rare and hard to come by.
For the love of god, save one for Ike and hand it to him the second he promotes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most of the prepromotes in FE9 are really good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im like 6 chapters in and so far path of radiance is really easy but man is it stingy with strength growths. also really hope i unlock some way of storing items soon cause everyones inventory is full

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Vegetable posted:

Look up a recruitment guide (for the desert level at the very least) because a couple characters are locked behind extremely obscure bullshit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

im like 6 chapters in and so far path of radiance is really easy but man is it stingy with strength growths. also really hope i unlock some way of storing items soon cause everyones inventory is full
you get the convoy automatically around like chapter 7.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

most of the prepromotes in FE9 are really good.

really good:

titania
stefan
tanith

good:

haar
largo
geoffrey
calill
tauroneo, i think

bad:

devdan
lucia
bastian
shinon

yeah they're pretty good

fe7 prepremotes are probably the best though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't get over how awesome that werewolf/troll/ogre thing is. Hoshido's dumb fox guy is nothing by comparison.

Also did they change Valkyrie's to Strategists or is that just a unique class for your little sister on the Nohr side?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Path of radiance uses a skill system pretty heavily, and every class has a badass ultimate skill associated with it that can only be gotten from occult scrolls, which are incredibly rare and hard to come by.
For the love of god, save one for Ike and hand it to him the second he promotes.

Wrath & Vantage is better, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

give shinon an energy drop and he's pretty much just as good as rolf

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

just as good as rolf is some pretty faint praise, though

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nanomashoes posted:

Wrath & Vantage is better, though.

Look if you don't think Ike being a death saw outweighs it I'm sorry but we can't be friends

You are my Hoshido

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Any unit without canto is garbage compared to those with it. It was so bad that Fiona in Radiant Dawn had to have the most impossible situation to gain decent levels in a game, and even then she's still above others.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
shinon is good in the earlygame when you need to use him the most, therefore he is good

Tae posted:

Any unit without canto is garbage compared to those with it. It was so bad that Fiona in Radiant Dawn had to have the most impossible situation to gain decent levels in a game, and even then she's still above others.

in all fairness canto has a lot less value in the endgame as well as cavs being too slow for a good chunk of the enemies there, so you still need to train up footsoldiers for it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also question, did anybody ever post a source on the generational system being time skip based

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

SC Bracer posted:

in all fairness canto has a lot less value in the endgame as well as cavs being too slow for a good chunk of the enemies there, so you still need to train up footsoldiers for it

Not with resolve they don't. I kind of wish you got more than one of it though(I mean I guess taureono comes with it but...), because that skill is just stupid good in 9. The only reason vantage+wrath beats vantage+resolve is because resolve is only accessible end game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh, one important thing to note for the Tellius saga: Wyverns are not vulnerable to arrows unlike every other game. So throw them at archers without worry.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tae posted:

Oh, one important thing to note for the Tellius saga: Wyverns are not vulnerable to arrows unlike every other game. So throw them at archers without worry.

Also Thunder magic is sort of rear end so really just throw wyverns at everything.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

FoolyCharged posted:

Not with resolve they don't. I kind of wish you got more than one of it though(I mean I guess taureono comes with it but...), because that skill is just stupid good in 9. The only reason vantage+wrath beats vantage+resolve is because resolve is only accessible end game.

I was referring to RD, where if you can't hit 34 speed, you get doubled by quite a few endgame enemies

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

horses are pretty mediocre in RD. they have canto, but rd has lots of maps with lovely terrain they can't move around on easily, any maps with elevation hurts them hard, and they have less move indoors
and they don't hit 34 speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

canto is broken in fe9, but otoh my brain functions and my parents loved my so i still only use 2-3 paladins