Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So am I reading Freya right in that she's getting off on Bell's progress?

Also I'm kinda sad it took 2/3rds of the season for the party to form. They are just so delightful to see bounce off each other.

Edit: Hestia and Hermes going in with glasses and a metool hat. :allears:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eren, please stop trying to murder the dungeon-crawlers.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

ConanThe3rd posted:

So am I reading Freya right in that she's getting off on Bell's progress?

Also I'm kinda sad it took 2/3rds of the season for the party to form. They are just so delightful to see bounce off each other.

Edit: Hestia and Hermes going in with glasses and a metool hat. :allears:

The metool hat is actually the standard japanese construction worker safety hat! :eng101:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kyte posted:

The metool hat is actually the standard japanese construction worker safety hat! :eng101:

I totaly know that. It's just funnier to call it a metool hat.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I like how it says "Safety First" in the weird alphabet they have.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Darth Walrus posted:

Eren, please stop trying to murder the dungeon-crawlers.

*insert youtube video of AoT theme song over that scene*

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
What race is Lili actually? I can't tell if her cat ears are actually a lovely disguise or if them being hidden is the disguise.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

What race is Lili actually? I can't tell if her cat ears are actually a lovely disguise or if them being hidden is the disguise.

She's a Pallum (hobbit, basically). The ears are a disguise to keep Souma Famila fooled into thinking she is dead.

I imagine this works because they're ether too drunk or suffering from withdrawal symptoms to think stright.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wait so she disguised as both dog girl and hobbit boy when she's in fact a hobbit girl?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kyte posted:

Wait so she disguised as both dog girl and hobbit boy when she's in fact a hobbit girl?

She's not disguised as a hobbit boy though, only as a dog(cat?) girl.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

ViggyNash posted:

She's not disguised as a hobbit boy though, only as a dog(cat?) girl.

I think disguised was used in past tense, as in when they first introduced her she kept her hair hidden and looked like a hobbit boy then.

At least I think they did that at first. Can't remember for sure.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I think disguised was used in past tense, as in when they first introduced her she kept her hair hidden and looked like a hobbit boy then.

At least I think they did that at first. Can't remember for sure.

Was she supposed to look like a boy then? She still looked like a girl to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm pretty sure that the only disguise she ever had was the dog ears or lack thereof.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The book narration explicitly had both Bell and some other dude confuse her with a hobbit boy (and instead get a dog girl). So yeah.

I guess it was probably just the cloak muddling things for the characters.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 17, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's dog ears. She describes herself as a chienthrope. Chien is french for dog.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Yes that part was never under question.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kyte posted:

Yes that part was never under question.

look 5 and 8 posts up from mine and try again

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master
Well that was an interesting thing to close to. I guess Eren is coming to say hi or something. Also it turns out that not many people like actually pissing a god off.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Oh, Hestia. The other Gods are going to send you back for messing with their entertainment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm confused on the whole "Is Lili a halfling" thing again because she said she located Hestia using her werewolf sense of smell.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that just means hestia got a bit of a stank.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Kanos posted:

I'm confused on the whole "Is Lili a halfling" thing again because she said she located Hestia using her werewolf sense of smell.

But didn't she change into the werebunny, so maybe her changeling/whatever power gives her their abilites as well.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe Lili is actually an alien Changeling playing the long con. She needs the big bag so that she has somewhere to rest in liquid form without anyone seeing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Kanos posted:

Her magic lets her transform into anything her own size, and she gains the abilities of the target form as well.

In the book, we get to know Ryu's level and the name of her Familia, so they cut quite a bit of her backstory. Oh well.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Hoping Ryu? joins his family.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

darkgray posted:

Her magic lets her transform into anything her own size, and she gains the abilities of the target form as well.

In the book, we get to know Ryu's level and the name of her Familia, so they cut quite a bit of her backstory. Oh well.
Okay, so what level is she? Seems pretty high.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Hoping Ryu? joins his family.
She was black-listed, so probably not, Right?

Seems like the most logical explanation for what is about to occur in the next episode is a direct effect of what Hestia did, but I'm not 100% convinced of that fact for some reason. But I don't really have any specific reason. I am just not sure.

Also, Hermes is obviously after something. What is it?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Judging by the rest of the show, Bell probably.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
She's level 3.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

BlitzBlast posted:

She's level 3.

Eh? Ryu is level 4. See http://danmachi.com/character.html

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

In my defense, they're right next to each other on a keyboard. :downs:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Dan7el posted:

boobs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Huh. So Ryu is a literal mass murderer. Didn't see that one coming.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ryu was right. So refreshing to see a character take the appropriate response to adventurers who are complete assholes. I'd have been fine with team losers jealous of Bell being killed, they were certainly willing to kill others themselves.

It's too bad we didn't get to see Hestia do anything beyond glow and change some of her mannerisms/appearance, I was hoping she'd curse the guy Bell was fighting at least. Ah well, if Bell and friends are never going to eliminate the people and familias that are full of assholes that mess with them, at least I'll know that Ryu was willing to stage an amalgamation of Rambo and the Bride from Kill Bill to avenge her comrades. It'd be nice if Bell finally snapped and killed a dude who had really crossed the line, but that'd be interesting story material that you could explore for a full light novel on its own, so it'll never happen. I could see Hermes continuing to get others to mess with Bell before finally emerging from the shadows and seriously threatening Hestia, then being killed by Bell, and have that all be a plan by Hermes to raise Bell into a fighter who can stand a chance against the real enemy, presumably that crazy lady who was watching Bell fight the Minotaur through a crystal ball. An endgame of a black-listed level 4 or 5 Bell acting as the only hope after the enemy somehow disables everyone registered in the guild and invades the town seems like a good finale, and really builds up the legend of one-man Hestia familia.

But I guess Bell and friends being nice people and beating the enemy through the power of friendship and combined attacks will have to do. It's a waste of a lot of foreshadowing to not have Bell save the Sword Princess just like she saved him in the first episode, so there's that to look forward to.

Overall I'm just bugged that even a flawed anime like SAO has its characters freak out when threatened by death by other people in an RPG setting, but it's happened to Bell like 5 times now and he just keeps no selling it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I dunno, he was literally traumatized by minotaurs for a while. Even now he still kind of freaks out when he sees one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would actually rather Bell never have to rescue Ais because that would be lame.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The entire point of Bell's character is that he has a childlike innocence/naivety and a desire/ability to see the best in people in ways that other people don't, coupled with an infinite well of forgiveness and compassion. That's the entire reason why he's successful and the entire reason why his friends and allies were drawn to him and are loyal to him in the first place. Hermes's plan appears to be trying to temper Bell's naivety with wisdom through harsh experience, which doesn't necessitate Bell ramming a knife into a person's eye. Him going grimdark murder avenger would be about as tonally appropriate as Mario mowing Bowser down with a machine gun. As for why Hestia didn't take petty vengeance on the guy who Bell had effectively already beaten, that probably has something to do with 1. Gods/Goddesses aren't supposed to use their divine powers on earth by mutual agreement and 2. Hestia isn't even supposed to be in the dungeon in the first place. It would probably cause a loving shitstorm of reprisals from whatever familia rear end in a top hat was with if she turned him into a frog or something and the Hestia familia doesn't have the power base or resources to deal with that kind of backlash.

It's shown that it's a pretty common thing for adventurers and familia to gently caress with each other, but Ryu's story also shows that letting it escalate too far(or getting caught when it escalates too far) has serious repercussions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like the stark reminder that Gods are gods and regardless of their playfulness now aren't to be trifled with.

I also like how they kinda sorta illustrate how in those old fairy tales some gods can be easily tricked or captured by people who really shouldn't be able to; it's because they can't be bothered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Isn't Hestia in deep poo poo now? I was under the impression that any use of divine powers aside from level up tattoos would get them sent straight back to heaven. Heck, this earthquake might be just that. But goddamn, Hestia is terrible. She almost made Bell lose that fight (which he had in the bag) by distracting him, then got angry and used her divine powers completely unnecessarily. Hestia has like no faith at all in Bell. Obviously she isn't going to be banished (or at least not permanently), but she probably should be.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Cut her some slack. I don't think she could see the battle, and she was really pissed off that her charge was in danger. If Bell gets offed, she's never going to get anyone to join her familia again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

CrazySalamander posted:

Cut her some slack. I don't think she could see the battle, and she was really pissed off that her charge was in danger. If Bell gets offed, she's never going to get anyone to join her familia again.

Exactly, she couldn't see the battle and wasn't sure what was going on but went straight to god mode anyway. Situations where gods have to use their powers or die are probably why they are prohibited from entering the dungeon, but Hestia couldn't even get that right.

• Locked thread