Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

Do people still say "iMBO" and rathole?

I'll take the AR to find out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

Do people still say "iMBO" and rathole?

Stop ratholing this thread. Take it offline.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So what are "foils" and why are we ridiculing them?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Holofoil
I hope I'm not right

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Panty Saluter posted:

So what are "foils" and why are we ridiculing them?

Guessing it's a fabrication term, maybe something to do with masks from way back when? Google isn't coming up with much.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps it refers to :tinfoil:?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Overhead projector sheets are sometimes called viewfoils or foils. It was used in that Intel document in place of slide.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

Overhead projector sheets are sometimes called viewfoils or foils. It was used in that Intel document in place of slide.

Yep, and the author has a German name and in Germany these virtual-things-to-project are commonly called "Folien".

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm toying with the idea of doing a "lite" version of this: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multi-headed-VMWare-Gaming-Setup-564/

At Microcenter I can get a 5820k, ASRock X99 board, and 32GB of DDR4-2400 for $700-ish. I was planning to replace my wife's Phenom II 965 with Skylake later this year, but now I'm considering consolidating both of our machines into a single box, putting both our GPUs into it, and having a single box be our gaming / general use desktops. Is this an insane idea?

In my harebrained plan, we get effectively 2 desktops, with the option to shut down one and allocate all resources to the other if wanted.

This is actually an insane deal if you do the math against a 4790K/B85 mobo/16GB DDR3 which is already ~$500. $200 for 2 more cores, much better board and 16GB RAM is a no-brainer IMO.

BTW I find it especially :lol: when the Reddit/Linustechtips crowd writes off the LGA2011 platform or the 4790K because "i7 sux for gamingz" while they themselves have no qualms blowing $300+ on mobo/cooling to overclock a $240 4-threaded only CPU for an mere extra 500MHz "because it's easy to change a number in the BIOS."

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
While we're tangentially on the subject of Microcenter, I have no idea how they get their bundle prices so low. Are they basically selling at cost or a small loss just to get you in the store?

For example, a couple weeks ago I saw a bundle of a Z97 motherboard plus a G3258 (Pentium Anniversary Edition) for $60, plus you could add on an 840 Evo and/or 8 GB of Cruical memory for about 15% less than newegg. I was so close to buying it just because of how ridiculous that price was (plus a $40 after rebate Antec P70 case) but I just don't need another PC right now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chuu posted:

While we're tangentially on the subject of Microcenter, I have no idea how they get their bundle prices so low. Are they basically selling at cost or a small loss just to get you in the store?

For example, a couple weeks ago I saw a bundle of a Z97 motherboard plus a G3258 (Pentium Anniversary Edition) for $60, plus you could add on an 840 Evo and/or 8 GB of Cruical memory for about 15% less than newegg. I was so close to buying it just because of how ridiculous that price was (plus a $40 after rebate Antec P70 case) but I just don't need another PC right now.

Yeah, they sell around cost as a loss leader to get you in the store assuming you might buy the rest of your system while you're there. AFAIK they're not super pushy about it but some goon from the parts thread left with an antistatic wrist strap and some thermal paste he probably didn't need.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Chuu posted:

It doesn't stop at the bundle deals - if you go in there with a PC Part Picker printout and let them know you're building a new computer, they'll almost always cut you a break for buying a lot of poo poo from them instead of from Newegg/Amazon. The downside is tax, and the more you get from them, the more likely they are to 'suggest' their product protection plan to you as an incentive to make their particular store more money. The only reason I can think of as to why MC is able to outprice Newegg/etc. is that they still build their own in-house systems with the Powerspec line.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

NihilismNow posted:

For reliability you should buy server class hardware with redundant power supplies and also buy 2 of everything and configure Vmotion (don't forget to buy your Vcenter license, oh and a SAN for shared storage, probably new managed switches so you can seperate iscsi traffic into its own vlan). It will be just like a real VDI project (doesn't save any money, makes things more complex).
I've found most enterprise IT projects that don't save money really on the project in itself are probably meant to save money via less management BS in another area. If you have high turnover and want to stop shipping company laptops to people and doing the dance with FedEx not want to give many folks RSA tokens, VDI is a way to lock down people's environments sufficiently. But my point really is that enterprisey setups at home tend to only make sense unless you already have a lot of BS to deal with in terms of management, not actual technology problems. IT is a time-honored whipping boy for bad business workflows and practices.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Hey guys.

I have an i5-2500k and my motherboard has crapped out (still works but onboard USB an two SATA ports are dead)

Debating between finding a replacement motherboard, or a new CPU and board, so at least I'm up to date.

Don't game much, but do some development , and a LOT of virtualization. Any thoughts?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Here's a cheap LGA 1155 board if you want to get up and running again on the cheap. No overclocking though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Walked posted:

Hey guys.

I have an i5-2500k and my motherboard has crapped out (still works but onboard USB an two SATA ports are dead)

Debating between finding a replacement motherboard, or a new CPU and board, so at least I'm up to date.

Don't game much, but do some development , and a LOT of virtualization. Any thoughts?

I actually have an Asus Z77-LK board that's been sitting around doing nothing if you want it. Send me a PM.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It doesn't stop at the bundle deals - if you go in there with a PC Part Picker printout and let them know you're building a new computer, they'll almost always cut you a break for buying a lot of poo poo from them instead of from Newegg/Amazon. The downside is tax, and the more you get from them, the more likely they are to 'suggest' their product protection plan to you as an incentive to make their particular store more money. The only reason I can think of as to why MC is able to outprice Newegg/etc. is that they still build their own in-house systems with the Powerspec line.
I really don't understand how Microcenter is still in business.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Do we have an estimated time that Intel will start cease manufacture of Devils Canyon processors? (4790k in particular?)

Is it becoming imminent or still something like next year?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

slidebite posted:

Do we have an estimated time that Intel will start cease manufacture of Devils Canyon processors? (4790k in particular?)

Is it becoming imminent or still something like next year?

I can't answer about a manufacturing stop, but they should be in retail channels in decent quantity until mid next year. If you don't mind paying a small price premium, I'd expect you to still be able to easily get them new in box in 4 years. You can still find 2500Ks new, and even older CPUs if you look harder.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Has anyone had any experience with ordering things from ShopBLT?

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a i7-4790T next month before Skylake hits and cool OEM chips mysteriously stop being sold. Gonna recycle my current i5-4670T into a set-top box sized PC, which will also make use of the 1.5V SO-DIMMs I have for some stupid reason.

keymaster02
Mar 11, 2014

I had sex with a 32-year old at 16. SA is run by SJWs. Liking 16-year olds is not pedophilia. I hate your pronoun. I like young boys. I donate to the NAACP and probably NAMBLA too.
I picked up an atom powered low end notebook today. When did atom stop being terrible?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

I picked up an atom powered low end notebook today. When did atom stop being terrible?

With Silvermont in Q4 2013.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6936/intels-silvermont-architecture-revealed-getting-serious-about-mobile/2

drcrumble
May 20, 2001
I WANNA RUB MAH BONER ON UR ASS
p.s. I enjoy guzzling bull semen.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Has anyone had any experience with ordering things from ShopBLT?

I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy a i7-4790T next month before Skylake hits and cool OEM chips mysteriously stop being sold. Gonna recycle my current i5-4670T into a set-top box sized PC, which will also make use of the 1.5V SO-DIMMs I have for some stupid reason.

Despite the website looking at least 15 years old, they seem quite legit. I ordered a NUC from them a couple months ago and they shipped it out the same day. Everything went super smooth and fast. Can't comment on how they handle RMAs and such.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wintering Stinkbug posted:

Somewhat recently. It allowed for a deluge of great little net/not/notebooks, windows tablets, and transformers like my kickass Asus T100.

I've always loved the form factor and now it's even useable. God bless our strange, power efficient age.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

I know these would get blown away by mobile-oriented parts and they aren't overclocked either but still :stare:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
So along those lines, how about those Xeon-Ds???

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9185/intel-xeon-d-review-performance-per-watt-server-soc-champion/13

The title there just about says it all, but these suckers are real killers compared to the Haswell based Xeon E3s they're supplanting. 50% better perf/watt than the Xeon E3-1230L v3, and better absolute performance everywhere as well.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think if you need the best possible performance per watt they're unbeatable right now. In terms of total single threaded performance it seems they're not so hot and a 3-ishGhz Haswell will beat it by a fair margin there.

Too bad about the price though. Yea its a server board and all but still its a weenie ITX board without lots of DIMM slots or on board hardware RAID controllers, minimal USB ports, and no SAS controller/ports. Hopefully they come down in price quickly.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
They're meant for a lot of bulk workhorse nodes that are trying for architectures similar to Facebook, Google, etc. where the availability is built into the software layers. These kinds of nodes make plenty of sense for some random web servers for horizontal scaling but might be a bit underpowered for multi-tenant stuff like web hosting very different workloads and/or big data stacks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I think if you need the best possible performance per watt they're unbeatable right now. In terms of total single threaded performance it seems they're not so hot and a 3-ishGhz Haswell will beat it by a fair margin there.

Too bad about the price though. Yea its a server board and all but still its a weenie ITX board without lots of DIMM slots or on board hardware RAID controllers, minimal USB ports, and no SAS controller/ports. Hopefully they come down in price quickly.

Isn't that price significantly undercutting existing 10GigE pricing? I thought that NICs alone were >$200 still.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't that price significantly undercutting existing 10GigE pricing? I thought that NICs alone were >$200 still.

Yea, Intel's own X540-T2 dual port 10 gigabit adapter is $500.
The MSRP for the Supermicro server board that Anandtech had in their review unit is ~$950, which includes the CPU. Odds are after the initial rush you'd be able to buy under MSRP as well, so from that point of view, it's a great value.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Twerk from Home posted:

It doesn't have 10Gbe ports though, just dual 1Gbe. If it had 10Gbe ports like the one in the Anandtech review then yes it'd be a good deal.

Not all boards will have 10Gbe ports even if its supported by the SoC! Gotta actually click the link guys!

quote:

Intel i350-AM2 dual port GbE LAN

The system Anandtech was reviewing sells for about $1200 which still isn't bad at all considering the specs but is also certainly not really cheap:
http://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-servers-compact-embedded-processor-sys-5028d-tn4t-10024470

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The boards are a little pricey, but not really all that out of line considering. The CPU itself is ~580$, which slots in quite nicely under the previous generation Xeon E5-2630L V3, the 55w 8 core Haswell low voltage chip, which sells for 680$ ish.

Retail prices don't mean a whole lot for this kind of stuff though considering what kind of customers these chips are marketed towards.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

without ... hardware RAID controllers

That's a feature.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
So how 'bout that Kaby Lake

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:stare:

I didn't see that coming.

You can do it Zen, you can not be garbage. :smith:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

physics is a bitch

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

physics is a bitch
Moore's Law has rammed into a wall. At least for silicon.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rastor posted:

Moore's Law has rammed into a wall. At least for silicon.

And the non-silicon semiconductors are still years away from even being half as good as silicon in a production environment.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I can't wait to see how entertaining the 14nm fab fistfight moshpit is going to be for the next few years as we'll be stuck with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
tock-tock-tick-tock-tock

It's a waltz now!