Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They probably used the cart slot since it's got the same total control that the edge connector has, and it keeps it from being uglier or you doing something dumb like plugging in a 32x game in the normal slot and breaking something or having three separate games trying to load at once. The patch cable probably would have had to still exist too since the 32X and the Genesis were basically two completely different consoles running half of a game each and just happening to overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
A package arrived from a very special former-goon. (You know the one)

A soon to be functioning Model 1 Sega CD, Streets of Rage 1 - 3, a purple 3ds (to replace my more lame black one) and a mystery japanese cassette of some kind.

~100 total. Good deal :retrogames:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RodShaft posted:

So, what are some good 2 player games?

Going for some lesser known titles since I'm going to assume that you've played all the major ones:

M.U.L.E. (NES) - the definitive economics game for the NES. You get land grants and have to produce food, power, or ore and then auction it between players between rounds. Random events keep things moving.

Smash TV (SNES) - BIG MONEY! BIG PRIZES! I LOVE IT!

Star Control (Genesis) - don't bother with the strategic mode. The game is best when two players pick ships from a set with unique powers and fight space duels from an overhead view. There's a spiritual sequel called The Unholy War on the PSX that no one ever talks about; the real sequel is brilliant but the only console version is on the 3do.

Gauntlet Legends (N64) - There's good versions of this on other platforms, too, but I had to pick something for the N64 and the options are pretty thin there.

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game (Saturn) - :unsmigghh: More seriously, Puzzle Fighter's fun and overlooked.

RodShaft posted:

Edit: also, unrelated, what home version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy/UMK3 is the best?

Dreamcast is the one that most people seem to prefer.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Have you guys heard of this "Retrofreak" console going for preorder in Japan: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZZ70HQ0/jin115n-22/ref=nosim/

It's like $200 and plays:

quote:

Famicom

Super Famicom / Super NES

Game Boy

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Advance

Megadrive / Sega Genesis

PC Engine / Turbo Grafx-16

PC Engine SuperGrafx

It's got Bluetooth and supports whatever controllers like DS4 plus USB and it's HDMI out. I'm sure with gamestop getting into retro games these sort of systems will sell like hotcakes. I've never owned a retron and enjoy owning my original systems but I can see others really wanting a quality all in one. I really like that it plays all the old gameboys.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

univbee posted:

Because then you can have both. :haw: Don't forget "32x CD" games are a thing (FMV games with better quality video since they have a more powerful processor to decrypt with)

Fahrenheit was unique out of those games since it came with both a standard Sega CD version and a CD 32X version. For whatever reason, the audio on the CD 32X version was worse than the regular CD version.

You could also use it to divide the Sega CD and Sega 32X games on your shelf I guess.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Housh posted:

Have you guys heard of this "Retrofreak" console going for preorder in Japan: http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZZ70HQ0/jin115n-22/ref=nosim/

It's got Bluetooth and supports whatever controllers like DS4 plus USB and it's HDMI out. I'm sure with gamestop getting into retro games these sort of systems will sell like hotcakes. I've never owned a retron and enjoy owning my original systems but I can see others really wanting a quality all in one. I really like that it plays all the old gameboys.

I think it popped up in the thread before and talked about in the IRC channel. From the sounds of how it works it'll probably work far better than the Retron 5 does.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Housh posted:

Goddamn I hope this is decent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mikeycp posted:

That's $29 too much for Battletoads.

Don't hate it just because you can't beat it :smuggo:.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Housh posted:

It's probably just a thing that runs Android with emulators

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

peeNamaste posted:

A package arrived from a very special former-goon. (You know the one)

A soon to be functioning Model 1 Sega CD, Streets of Rage 1 - 3, a purple 3ds (to replace my more lame black one) and a mystery japanese cassette of some kind.

~100 total. Good deal :retrogames:

Oh man, I know which "very special" former goon you're talking about because I paid for that very 3DS last year and waited for four months while it was "definitely shipped" before they finally refunded me.

Good riddance.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Ptarmigans posted:

I know you said no fighting games but Powerstone and Powerstone 2 on the Dreamcast are excellent and very easy to learn. Zombies Ate My Neighbours is a lot of fun with two people.

Random Stranger posted:

Going for some lesser known titles since I'm going to assume that you've played all the major ones:

M.U.L.E. (NES) - the definitive economics game for the NES. You get land grants and have to produce food, power, or ore and then auction it between players between rounds. Random events keep things moving.

Smash TV (SNES) - BIG MONEY! BIG PRIZES! I LOVE IT!

Star Control (Genesis) - don't bother with the strategic mode. The game is best when two players pick ships from a set with unique powers and fight space duels from an overhead view. There's a spiritual sequel called The Unholy War on the PSX that no one ever talks about; the real sequel is brilliant but the only console version is on the 3do.

Gauntlet Legends (N64) - There's good versions of this on other platforms, too, but I had to pick something for the N64 and the options are pretty thin there.

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game (Saturn) - :unsmigghh: More seriously, Puzzle Fighter's fun and overlooked.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I can't believe I forgot Smash TV. But I forgot about Dreamcast Mortal Kombat and I think I even own that one. I also need some suggestions for good 2 player Shoot-em-ups. Also is the 32X version of NBA Jam the best one?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't hate it just because you can't beat it :smuggo:.

My being able to beat it wouldn't suddenly not make it a piece of garbage.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

RodShaft posted:

Also is the 32X version of NBA Jam the best one?

The Saturn/Playstation versions are better than the 32x also the comedy Jaguar version.

The 32x version is basically the Genesis version of my memory serves me right, so no scaling or anything and the sound is still bad. The Saturn/PSX versions are basically the arcade with some load times. I believe the Jaguar had the scaling as well, but who would play with that controller?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Cloks posted:

Oh man, I know which "very special" former goon you're talking about because I paid for that very 3DS last year and waited for four months while it was "definitely shipped" before they finally refunded me.

Good riddance.

Wonder if I'll ever see that PS2 memory card I paid for over a year ago.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Starhawk64 posted:

This could be a good idea if Gamestop doesn't go with online prices. When did retro games get so expensive? The price of most SNES games are retardedly high.

But then again, it's Gamestop........

Its a little over third party game store prices but that will change as soon as they realize that the way to sell games is to put them at ebay auction prices +/- 3 dollars. The success of this thing, to me, depends on if they start accepting trade-ins again. If so then they'll probably have a better supply of this stuff than anywhere else. If not, well why buy from Gamestop over Ebay with its better selection?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Fahrenheit was unique out of those games since it came with both a standard Sega CD version and a CD 32X version. For whatever reason, the audio on the CD 32X version was worse than the regular CD version.

You could also use it to divide the Sega CD and Sega 32X games on your shelf I guess.

Twitch. I hate it when they do poo poo like that.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

The only MK game on Dreamcast is MK4 (Gold) and I wouldn't recommend any version of that game.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Keiya posted:

Twitch. I hate it when they do poo poo like that.

Oh the choices. To put it like the guy above did, with the colors merging in the wrong direction? To flip the case and have one of your games be upside-down with the text going in the wrong direction? To put the Sega CD stuff after the 32x stuff despite the CD being released earlier? So many ways to sperg out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The only MK game on Dreamcast is MK4 (Gold) and I wouldn't recommend any version of that game.

For some reason I thought Mortal Kombat Gold was based on Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. That series was really confusing in the late 90's.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If N64 had a proper controller MK Trilogy would be the best.

BUT if you have a flash cart on Genesis there is a Russian Ultimate MK trilogy rom out there and it is probably my favorite. The roster is just nuts with 54 playable characters

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/mk/fan_made/umkt_main.htm

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

RodShaft posted:

Edit: also, unrelated, what home version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy/UMK3 is the best?

Probably the one on the recent digital MK collection, which is not quite the same as the arcade (they changed the sounds or something? I dunno, something related to the fact that it started out as a full remake) but more accurate than every contemporary console port. The Nintendo DS version is also probably worth a look.

N64 Trilogy seems to get shat on compared to the other versions for various omissions due to space (no Goro), but it's also the only one without crap loading times and thus the one to get if you like playing as/against Shang Tsung. Has some unique stuff to make up for it, too.

MK Armageddon on Wii is the one to get if you just want to play as everyone ever.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 23, 2015

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Cloks posted:

Good riddance.

G-Prime posted:

Wonder if I'll ever see that PS2 memory card I paid for over a year ago.

That's sucks, guess I got lucky :shrug: I also got my n8 and memory card from her without issue last year. But that whole situation is super polarizing so nevermind.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ever since I got a PSP I've had to fight the urge to buy up all the UMDs I can find that I'm remotely interested in, because it's such a doofy format and I love it dearly. Like, I've started playing the Legends of Heroes games, and they're great! I would like to own them!

But poo poo

This was a dumb hobby to get into, at all.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I killed my RGB NES tonight. I disabled the CIC lockout chip, which was causing a blinking red light nine times out of ten with my Everdrive N8.

After clipping the lockout chip's pin, now all I get is a gray screen. Has anyone had this issue? At this point, I'm thinking I'll just get a new toaster, but the thought of desoldering another NES PPU is totally bumming me out.

I feel like I need to see a grief counselor.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Grey Screen means no game loaded, maybe you missed and clipped the wrong pin?

Also make sure you didn't shift anything, your connector and cart loader could have become misaligned.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh the choices. To put it like the guy above did, with the colors merging in the wrong direction? To flip the case and have one of your games be upside-down with the text going in the wrong direction? To put the Sega CD stuff after the 32x stuff despite the CD being released earlier? So many ways to sperg out.

I'm more annoyed by the 32X copy of Doom having its "Genesis 32X" text inverted compared to the rest of the 32X games, myself.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

Elliotw2 posted:

Grey Screen means no game loaded, maybe you missed and clipped the wrong pin?

Also make sure you didn't shift anything, your connector and cart loader could have become misaligned.

I definitely only clipped the fourth pin. I'm going to get my magnifying glass out tomorrow to see if I can spot any traces I may have cut accidentally. I also disconnected and reseated the 72-pin connector just to be sure nothing got jostled out of place.

I guess if I get desperate, I'll break out the multimeter and see if I can diagnose the problem myself. I'm no engineer, so this is feeling like a re-do to me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Out of all of the US 32x releases, Fahrenheit and Doom are the only ones that don't match the rest of the line up.

Hope you have a model 2 Sega CD to play that Fahrenheit on too.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

peeNamaste posted:

That's sucks, guess I got lucky :shrug: I also got my n8 and memory card from her without issue last year. But that whole situation is super polarizing so nevermind.

I pointed this out when it was happening (I'm actually in Security for what it's worth BTW) but it's a pretty common con game. Basically you endear yourself to a community of people by offering deals that are really good. Not unrealistically good, but exceptionally good none the less and of a kind that it would be essentially impossible to find anywhere else. You do this a couple times to build up confidence, often times if you are bad at con games you may lose money in this step but if you are good you'll usually break even. Once people have enough confidence in you you do the blow out, where you do the same sort of deal but on a larger scale often with more money or people less connected to the original core group of people who were getting your original deals (but the new people believe you because the old group vouches for you). Once all those people hand you money you simply make an excuse to delay shipping/providing goods and then run with the cash, never to be seen again. And if you did invest in some of the product you usually then provide it to the old guard who will often still back you because these new people clearly don't know you like they do and you're a totally legit fella.

If you're good you then rinse and repeat using a new community and different goods so people can't connect you to your previous identity.

So yeah, congrats on being the guy in the "building confidence" arm of a confidence game. Those people almost always come away good because it's needed to prolong the game and set up marks.

If you wan't to watch a cool talk that I mentioned last time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTzQmhmgLC0
Jason Scott is cool computer historian and everybody should watch his everything because it's really cool.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 23, 2015

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

flyboi posted:

If N64 had a proper controller MK Trilogy would be the best.

BUT if you have a flash cart on Genesis there is a Russian Ultimate MK trilogy rom out there and it is probably my favorite. The roster is just nuts with 54 playable characters

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/mk/fan_made/umkt_main.htm

I believe this one doesn't work on my Everdrive... Sad really.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://masterratings.blogspot.com/2015/06/game-eighteen-phantasy-star-1987.html I was a bit delayed for various reasons but I still have my second game of the month reviewed and this time its Phantasy Star! Which is a great game even if the US version/translation isn't the best choice to play these days.

Plus you know, I was trying out or dealing with other things.

NEVER FORGET WE NEVER GOT THIS.

Minor house leak from heavy rainstorm causes small puddle in basement? Well find a bunch of PC game boxes I forgot I even still had!

Still, Phantasy Star holds up amazingly well to the point of being better than a lot of 16 bit RPGs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Housh posted:

I would buy one of those only if it satisfies these conditions:

1. No issues playing any of the games it can load in the slots(can it not do nes? Maybe buy a nes to famicom adapter then)

2. It can use original controllers, and/or 8 bit do updates their controllers to work with it. Probably would need to get usb adapters really.

3.the picture quality over hdmi is actually decent, like almost xrgb great.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Fans of Wanpaku Graffiti and Twinbee should check out today's t-shirts on theyetee.com:

I'm definitely getting the Wanpaku one but I can't wear it till i've actually finished the game...

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Elliotw2 posted:

Hope you have a model 2 Sega CD to play that Fahrenheit on too.
What's the story here, issues on model1?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lepecard posted:

I'm definitely getting the Wanpaku one but I can't wear it till i've actually finished the game...

OMG these shirts are amazing. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In light of Batman: Arkham Knight coming out today on PS4/XBox One/PC, here's an article I wrote about Sunsoft's Batman games (some rad, some bad) from the early 90s:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/batman/batmansunsoft.htm

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

This was a dumb hobby to get into, at all.

Really, that should be the thread motto.

Captain Rufus posted:

Minor house leak from heavy rainstorm causes small puddle in basement? Well find a bunch of PC game boxes I forgot I even still had!

Warlords is one of those series that had some great games, but it's effectively forgotten these days. The second one is my favorite, though the third game has more than its fair share of fans. Maybe I should dig out my disks and do a write up on it...

Also, Might and Magic IV and V are my favorites of the series, so play that, too. :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I was surprised and thrilled that Alien Breed got a great re-release on the PS3 after the horrendous reboot episodes.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Captain Rufus posted:

http://masterratings.blogspot.com/2015/06/game-eighteen-phantasy-star-1987.html I was a bit delayed for various reasons but I still have my second game of the month reviewed and this time its Phantasy Star! Which is a great game even if the US version/translation isn't the best choice to play these days.

Thanks for doing these, I read through all of them a few weeks back. VGJunk recently did an article on Fist of the North Star SMS and it was a pretty interesting comparison to what you had shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

falz posted:

What's the story here, issues on model1?

It needs you to insert disk 2 without turning off the console to use the 32X video , and the model 1 uses reset to eject the drive.

• Locked thread