Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Agree, JetBlue has a lot of the same issues as Spirit in regards to IRROPS. however in my experiences their customer service is worlds better than Spirit.

Also they've been working to do better with having a more robust network to account for such things.

Spirit has no qualms with staying exactly the way they are and leaving people to rot while their one plane on the route is downed for maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
Wrong thread. Ignore this.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Mackieman posted:

You must not fly UA.

What exactly is the problem with UA at IAD? I've flown on them multiple times and never had any issues.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

asur posted:

What exactly is the problem with UA at IAD? I've flown on them multiple times and never had any issues.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 19, 2015

asur
Dec 28, 2012

This is that big of a deal? Seems pretty minor to me. I guess if the comparison is if they had extended the train to concourse D it's somewhat annoying, but it's still only takes 10-15 minutes to get from security to concourse D. There's also the option of taking the train to concourse C and walking if the wait time on the bus is long.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

They're pretty annoying. Also the United concourse is pretty dated, makes for a lovely experience.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

asur posted:

The C and D concourse at IAD is surpassed in shittiness only by LGA in terms of major airports in the US. It was a temporary building built in the 80s, supposed to be used for a couple of years, that has lasted more than 30 years now. The gate holding areas are tiny, the lounges are in crappy basements, there is little in the way of decent food (though this is attempting to get better, albeit with higher prices) and other basic amenities. One has to traverse to Terminal B (which UA doesn't use) to get a look at a real airport.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Hey guys,
So I have a couple of friends that are doing a Den / Hong Kong / Tokyo trip. Im unable to join for the whole thing, but would like to show up with them in Tokyo. They will arrive on the 18th @ 15:10 according to their flight itinerary, and head home on the 26th. I'm doing a bike trip in Colorado on the 28th, so I'm thinking if I return the 26th that gives me enough time to get my poo poo together and get rested up. So if I could get on their return flights, that'd be a whole hell of a lot less boring for me. But also, I want to try and save what I can.. so? I'd like to maximize the amout of time I'm there, but can be flexiable on dates if it makes a big difference.

Origin : DEN
Destination : NRT
Duration of trip : ~9 days
Leave : Tues Aug 18
Return : Wed Aug 26 (If I could rope in United 838 -> United 753 baller)
Time of day you leave : Open

On hipmunk, the best I'm seeing is to layover in Calgary and fly out via Air Canada for 1500 today. I think it was 1300 2 days ago.
Although going through this thread I saw someone used SkyScanner. But that one takes off 5pm Tues, and land 3pm Thursday. That cost savings doesn't seem worth the layover...

Not sure about airports. Not really sure I have an option outside of DIA from Colorado? I'd be willing to go to Co Springs to get to SFO/Calgary if it helps.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check ANA (United codeshare.) Their fare calendar lets you compare +/- 3 days and specific flights easily.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

deong posted:

Hey guys,
So I have a couple of friends that are doing a Den / Hong Kong / Tokyo trip. Im unable to join for the whole thing, but would like to show up with them in Tokyo. They will arrive on the 18th @ 15:10 according to their flight itinerary, and head home on the 26th. I'm doing a bike trip in Colorado on the 28th, so I'm thinking if I return the 26th that gives me enough time to get my poo poo together and get rested up. So if I could get on their return flights, that'd be a whole hell of a lot less boring for me. But also, I want to try and save what I can.. so? I'd like to maximize the amout of time I'm there, but can be flexiable on dates if it makes a big difference.

Origin : DEN
Destination : NRT
Duration of trip : ~9 days
Leave : Tues Aug 18
Return : Wed Aug 26 (If I could rope in United 838 -> United 753 baller)
Time of day you leave : Open

On hipmunk, the best I'm seeing is to layover in Calgary and fly out via Air Canada for 1500 today. I think it was 1300 2 days ago.
Although going through this thread I saw someone used SkyScanner. But that one takes off 5pm Tues, and land 3pm Thursday. That cost savings doesn't seem worth the layover...

Not sure about airports. Not really sure I have an option outside of DIA from Colorado? I'd be willing to go to Co Springs to get to SFO/Calgary if it helps.

Denver is already a pretty big airport, you probably won't find savings going elsewhere. I found you $1,057 roundtrip DEN -> NRT on those dates with one stopover in LAX. On the flight out you'd be doing an overnight at LAX, but that's not a big deal. You can get a hotel room and still pocket the savings.

Tue, Aug 18

5:25 pm – 6:57 pm
Denver (DEN) – Los Angeles (LAX)
United 1203 · Economy class · Boeing 737
Average legroom (31")
2h 32m

Layover in Los Angeles LAX Overnight16h 23m

11:20 am+1 – 3:00 pm+2
Los Angeles (LAX) – Tokyo (NRT)
United 32 · Economy class · Boeing 787
Above average legroom (32")
11h 40m

Wed, Aug 26

5:00 pm – 11:10 am
Tokyo (NRT) – Los Angeles (LAX)
United 33 · Economy class · Boeing 787
Above average legroom (32")
Overnight flight
10h 10m

5:55 pm – 9:17 pm
Los Angeles (LAX) – Denver (DEN)
United 1651 · Economy class · Boeing 737
Average legroom (31")

To clarify, I didn't see any routes getting you there without a lengthy delay heading out to Narita. I suppose you could leave the 17th so you get there on Wednesday instead of Thursday, but you're still laying over somewhere. Don't do this, flights are much more expensive leaving the 17th.

You could leave early morning Wednesday from Denver, avoid the LAX layover, and catch that same LAX -> NRT flight I have listed.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 20, 2015

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

You could leave early morning Wednesday from Denver, avoid the LAX layover, and catch that same LAX -> NRT flight I have listed.

That's an awesome idea that didn't occur to me at all. Thanks.
Should I hold off till say Tues/Wed to buy the tickets? Is that when stuff gets lowered? or is that just some thing I heard with no fact?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

deong posted:

Should I hold off till say Tues/Wed to buy the tickets? Is that when stuff gets lowered? or is that just some thing I heard with no fact?

That's already a very good price for a Pacific crossing, I'd book it now if those are the dates you want to fly.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

deong posted:

It's not a hard and fast rule. As Whip noted, if the price is good, buy it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm planning a summer trip to Europe right now, and I'm getting all antsy about tickets. My ideal plan is:

Leave SEA on Aug 11th and end up Prague. The best deal I see between Google Flights and Kayak is ~$900 for SEA -> FRA via Condor and FRA -> PRG via Lufthansa

I'll be bouncing around in Europe by train or whatever until I end up in Berlin.

My plan to come home is straight from Berlin to Seattle, and the best deal I see is ~$750 for TXL -> FRA via Lufthansa and FRA-> SEA via Condor

Are these reasonable? I've never flow on either of those airlines so any comments about their reliability/general quality would be helpful. My gut says they're well run because they are ze Germans but it's worth an ask. Also, both ways the layover in Frankfurt is only about 1-1/2 hour, is that enough to make it? I like to travel light so there's a chance I could even get away with not taking a checked bag.

Also, there wasn't anything in the OP about where to go about booking flights in these situations. Should I just use the search service like Kayak etc., especially for these hybrid flight setups?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm planning a summer trip to Europe right now, and I'm getting all antsy about tickets. My ideal plan is:

Leave SEA on Aug 11th and end up Prague. The best deal I see between Google Flights and Kayak is ~$900 for SEA -> FRA via Condor and FRA -> PRG via Lufthansa

I'll be bouncing around in Europe by train or whatever until I end up in Berlin.

My plan to come home is straight from Berlin to Seattle, and the best deal I see is ~$750 for TXL -> FRA via Lufthansa and FRA-> SEA via Condor

Are these reasonable? I've never flow on either of those airlines so any comments about their reliability/general quality would be helpful. My gut says they're well run because they are ze Germans but it's worth an ask. Also, both ways the layover in Frankfurt is only about 1-1/2 hour, is that enough to make it? I like to travel light so there's a chance I could even get away with not taking a checked bag.

Also, there wasn't anything in the OP about where to go about booking flights in these situations. Should I just use the search service like Kayak etc., especially for these hybrid flight setups?

What's your estimated date of return? How flexible are your dates? How flexible is your travel situation (can you get to a different airport cheaply)?

I'm seeing some prices in the 1400's and 1500's (round-trip), but it'll be dependent on the answers to those questions.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 23, 2015

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I forgot to mention the return date, my mistake. I'd like to be back in Seattle on August 25th plus or minus a day. The departure date could be the 9th, 10th or 11th.

I don't know much about the transportation infrastructure in the places I'll be going so it'd be nice to stick to the major airports, unless there are easy options I don't know about. Berlin has a second airport (SXF) it seems, but I don't know anything about Prague. Seattle only has the one major airport unless someone is flying into Boeing Field these days.

Edit:

I found comparable rates to what Whip SlagCheek found through Google FLights, but when I go click on the "Book with Airline" button the options on the airline's website aren't the same exact flights. The biggest difference is that the flights I'm finding through Condor's site have huge (9+ hour) layovers.

oXDemosthenesXo fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 23, 2015

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I forgot to mention the return date, my mistake. I'd like to be back in Seattle on August 25th plus or minus a day. The departure date could be the 9th, 10th or 11th.

I don't know much about the transportation infrastructure in the places I'll be going so it'd be nice to stick to the major airports, unless there are easy options I don't know about. Berlin has a second airport (SXF) it seems, but I don't know anything about Prague. Seattle only has the one major airport unless someone is flying into Boeing Field these days.

I have you leaving on the 10th, landing in Prague on the 11th in the morning. Fly back from Berlin via Newark to Seattle on the 25th, getting back early evening. Lufthansa on the way out, United coming back.

$1,477 round-trip.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I have you leaving on the 10th, landing in Prague on the 11th in the morning. Fly back from Berlin via Newark to Seattle on the 25th, getting back early evening. Lufthansa on the way out, United coming back.

$1,477 round-trip.

Wow that was fast Whip!

Thanks for the help on that, I was worried I'd waited too long to get tickets and I was going to pay a ton.

How do you recommend booking them? I assume that for a trip like this going through the search site is the right option?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Wow that was fast Whip!

Thanks for the help on that, I was worried I'd waited too long to get tickets and I was going to pay a ton.

How do you recommend booking them? I assume that for a trip like this going through the search site is the right option?

Yeah I mean really any site can handle it, just do a "multi-city" trip and you can set your origins and destinations to whatever. I used Hipmunk for that particular price and they linked to a third party site, but its legit. Google Flights doesn't always like multi-city. Best I was finding on there with your itinerary was in the 1600's.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

deong posted:

So, any reason I should avoid American Airlines?

code:
$978.80
Departure: DEN  NRT • Wed, Aug 19 -- 17h 35m
American - (AA) 5927 -- 2h 30m
Compass dba American Eagle operated • in Coach on a American E75
  6:50am, Wed Aug 19 • Denver (DEN)
  8:20am, Wed Aug 19 • Los Angeles (LAX)
Layover in Los Angeles (LAX) -- 3h 30m

American - (AA) 169 -- 11h 35m
in Coach on a Boeing 777-200
  11:50am, Wed Aug 19 • Los Angeles (LAX)
  3:25pm, Thu Aug 20 • Tokyo (NRT)
Flight takes off on Wed, Aug 19 and lands on Thu, Aug 20

Return: NRT  DEN • Wed, Aug 26 -- 15h 54m

American - (AA) 170 -- 10h 30m
in Coach on a Boeing 777-200
  5:25pm, Wed Aug 26 • Tokyo (NRT)
  11:55am, Wed Aug 26 • Los Angeles (LAX)
Layover in Los Angeles (LAX) -- 3h 05m

American - (AA) 5903 -- 2h 19m
Compass dba American Eagle operated • in Coach on a American E75
  3:00pm, Wed Aug 26 • Los Angeles (LAX)
  6:19pm, Wed Aug 26 • Denver (DEN)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
IcelandAir flys out of Seattle and makes it easy to arrive in one European city and leave from another (is Icelandair bad?)

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

FISHMANPET posted:

IcelandAir flys out of Seattle and makes it easy to arrive in one European city and leave from another (is Icelandair bad?)

Icelandair is decent. I've flown with them before. They won't give you much, but their food is ok and their IFE is pretty good. My SO didn't like the pitch of the seats for sleeping, but I thought it was about on par with US carriers.

Also they let you do an "extended stopover" in Iceland for upto seven days without charging extra fees, if you have the time take the opportunity to at least see Reykjavik and hit the blue lagoon.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looking to fly them to Europe next summer, and the biggest selling point for me is the layover halfway through the journey not 90% of the way through the journey. Also a layover point that is on the way to everywhere, so I'm not backtracking (I could fly Condor to London but I'd have to fly all the way to Germany and then back to London to do it).

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

FISHMANPET posted:

Looking to fly them to Europe next summer, and the biggest selling point for me is the layover halfway through the journey not 90% of the way through the journey. Also a layover point that is on the way to everywhere, so I'm not backtracking (I could fly Condor to London but I'd have to fly all the way to Germany and then back to London to do it).

Yeah Keflavik is fine for that. Lots of European destinations from there and the airport is really nice and well laid out. Be warned: boarding is a bit of a cluster because they corral you into the gate area before boarding you and everyone loads at once.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'd imagine it's a bit of a zoo no matter what because you've got all planes from Europe and North America landing at once, everyone scrambles from the Europe to the NA side, and all the planes take off at the same time. I hear it's a pretty dead airport outside of a few hours when everybody is laying over.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

FISHMANPET posted:

I'd imagine it's a bit of a zoo no matter what because you've got all planes from Europe and North America landing at once, everyone scrambles from the Europe to the NA side, and all the planes take off at the same time. I hear it's a pretty dead airport outside of a few hours when everybody is laying over.

I just hung out in the food court/duty-free area until it came time for boarding. It was pretty open and had plenty of seating. The areas by the gates are quite crowded though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go for it. Just check your terminal transfers at LAX (it's a long, skinny airport) and brace yourself for Japanese summer (it's like South Carolina.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

peanut posted:

Go for it. Just check your terminal transfers at LAX (it's a long, skinny airport) and brace yourself for Japanese summer (it's like South Carolina.)

No terminal transfers for his outbound flight -- it departs from 48B and he'll arrive into there as well.

Return will go out of the American Eagle but you have to take a bus to the terminal (and also a longer layover but you'll need to clear customs).

I would not fly IcelandAir unless I was going to Iceland due to irregularities in their schedule but that's just me. Maybe their interline agreements have improved.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

peanut posted:

Thanks everyone. Bought the ticket.
Im prepared to sweat like a pig. Denver is low humidity, so I don't really know what'll be like.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sellouts posted:

I would not fly IcelandAir unless I was going to Iceland due to irregularities in their schedule but that's just me. Maybe their interline agreements have improved.

Not sure what this means. Are you saying that since they don't codeshare or interline with many other airlines that if you miss a flight you might be stuck in Iceland or something until the next day?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Waiting overnight is p common with canceled international flights. Iceland just has some weird layovers - make the best of it!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FISHMANPET posted:

Not sure what this means. Are you saying that since they don't codeshare or interline with many other airlines that if you miss a flight you might be stuck in Iceland or something until the next day?

That's exactly what it means. That, and there aren't exactly a ton of options other than Iceland Air.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mackieman posted:

That's exactly what it means. That, and there aren't exactly a ton of options other than Iceland Air.

Are you saying WOW Air isn't a viable option for traveling??? :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There are worse places to be stuck overnight than Reykjavik, especially if you're there in the middle of summer.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm looking to do a mileage / segment run on American/US Air from DCA (or IAD, less preferred but if $50 or cheap will do) to LAX for a weekend sometime between now and winter.

Looks like Kayak and Hipmunk will help me find cheap flights by date over the next 90 days, but they don't let me do it by airline. Any thoughts on the best way to do this?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dexter6 posted:

I'm looking to do a mileage / segment run on American/US Air from DCA (or IAD, less preferred but if $50 or cheap will do) to LAX for a weekend sometime between now and winter.

Looks like Kayak and Hipmunk will help me find cheap flights by date over the next 90 days, but they don't let me do it by airline. Any thoughts on the best way to do this?

Google flights. The calendar view that overlays when you're putting in dates will show you a graph of fares over time for the same duration. Find the lowest fares and then limit by alliance (OneWhirld) to see US/AA fares.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just booked a round trip on Sun Country from MSP to DCA on the last runs of the night for them. I like to live dangerously.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I had a question, would a 1 h 13 m layover in LAX be enough time to change planes (for a domestic flight)? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I don't travel a lot and wanted to double check if that sounded like enough time to disembark and reboard another plane. Both would be the same carrier.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

More than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I had a question, would a 1 h 13 m layover in LAX be enough time to change planes (for a domestic flight)? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I don't travel a lot and wanted to double check if that sounded like enough time to disembark and reboard another plane. Both would be the same carrier.

Yeah you're fine. If things get held up with a delay or whatever there's typically airline staff waiting at your connecting terminal so they can expedite you to your next gate.