Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

repiv posted:

Yeah about AMDs ground-up low-level driver path being their saving grace
:suicide:

Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On one hand, mantle is kinda deprecated? Do they even still develop for it, or is the support just there and left to rot while amd works on dx12/vulkan instead?

On the other hand, lmbo @ d3d faster than mantle. I'd say :dice:, but this being straight up :amd: is just as likely at this point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Truga posted:

On one hand, mantle is kinda deprecated? Do they even still develop for it, or is the support just there and left to rot while amd works on dx12/vulkan instead?

On the other hand, lmbo @ d3d faster than mantle. I'd say :dice:, but this being straight up :amd: is just as likely at this point.

Mantle was already officially abandoned.

I am really surprised AMD didn't allow voltage unlocking for overclock benchmarks unless there is a problem with it.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Mantle was already officially abandoned.

I am really surprised AMD didn't allow voltage unlocking for overclock benchmarks unless there is a problem with it.

They probably in all reality needed the extra month until the non-X fury comes out to really finish the Fury X too but really needed to push it out the door?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

There's still several major Frostbite games upcoming which will feature Mantle and aren't confirmed for getting DX12 support, so you'd hope not. Who knows though.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bleh Maestro posted:

They probably in all reality needed the extra month until the non-X fury comes out to really finish the Fury X too but really needed to push it out the door?
AMD's marketing department works in strange, mysterious, and hilariously counterproductive ways

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2015/05/12/on-apis-and-the-future-of-mantle

"The Mantle SDK also remains available to partners who register in this co-development and evaluation program. However, if you are a developer interested in Mantle "1.0" functionality, we suggest that you focus your attention on DirectX® 12 or GLnext."

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD's marketing department works in strange, mysterious, and hilariously counterproductive ways

yep

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
The nano could still be interesting? Right guys?

At least I still have a reason to :f5: until then!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bleh Maestro posted:

The nano could still be interesting? Right guys?

At least I still have a reason to :f5: until then!
The Nano and regular Fury are less likely to be hilariously throttled but the Nano is going to be more interesting as it's supposed to be slightly better than a more efficient 290. If they manage to pull that off and price it below $400 there's already an interesting card.

Sucks about the voltage locking though. I'd have figured they'd lay off on that at some point in a timely fashion.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
drat, according to this review the EVGA SSC 980ti averages higher than the Titan X in most scenarios. Mine is coming today! http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/1.html

Also, 301.2 fps @ 1080p with 4xAA? That's ridiculous, even if it is a non-taxing game.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

suddenlyissoon posted:

drat, according to this review the EVGA SSC 980ti averages higher than the Titan X in most scenarios. Mine is coming today! http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/1.html

Also, 301.2 fps @ 1080p with 4xAA? That's ridiculous, even if it is a non-taxing game.

Yeah, the Gigabyte G1 with a 1152 base clock has already been well known to ravage the poo poo out of a Titan X.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

suddenlyissoon posted:

I put the SC bios on my Titan X last night and so far been able to clock up to 1480boost and 8000mem with no issues. Haven't pushed much past that yet since it took me so long to get the right flash commands to work due to my board having a PLX chip. Also, didn't get to test as SW:ToR had to repair after the patch.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Truga posted:

Wasn't it already a thing for Mantle to poo poo the bed in BF4 when using a strong CPU even with Hawaii?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
When you guys overclock a gpu, do you just use the tweaking programs for that card, or is it more if a bios change?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Kragger99 posted:

When you guys overclock a gpu, do you just use the tweaking programs for that card, or is it more if a bios change?

For nvidia afterburner or precision x. Bios change is only if you are hitting power or voltage limits.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Well, that sure was worth the wait. Glad I gave AMD one last opportunity to poo poo their pants.

Now to decide between a 980 Ti or a used Titan X (extra memory for compute)...

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

It's as easy as moving a few sliders on the gpu tweak programs these days :coal:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Whoa that Superclocked hangs right up with the Gigabyte G1. The Gigabyte G1 might be slightly faster, and overclock better, but it's also over 2 and a half times louder under load. If I was gonna buy a 980ti, I'd sacrifice a few fps for those db's.

I wonder what the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid is like!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tigerdirect deal is dead

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Tigerdirect deal is dead

Check back next week. :v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ak Gara posted:

Whoa that Superclocked hangs right up with the Gigabyte G1. The Gigabyte G1 might be slightly faster, and overclock better, but it's also over 2 and a half times louder under load. If I was gonna buy a 980ti, I'd sacrifice a few fps for those db's.

I wonder what the EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid is like!

All the "top tier" GPU skus will probably end up OC'ing to the same levels and the real difference will be the coolers. The exception to this will be water cooling which has more potential - although not necessarily, there is a limit for every chip regardless of 30 degrees temperature difference. But, water cooling does allow you to change the bios with virtually zero concern about temperatures which is nice as well.

Where are you seeing 2.5 times louder? Are you going by the 3db is twice as much noise thing or something else?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am still hoping to get my hands on the MSI 6g for reasonable overclock and quiet. It was briefly in stock at newegg the other day, but that is it. Come on MSI, ship those suckers out!

This is the closest thing we have to a review of the 6g. Would prefer something better though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iORNWrgty4

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 24, 2015

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am still hoping to get my hands on the MSI 6g for reasonable overclock and quiet. It was briefly in stock at newegg the other day, but that is it. Come on MSI, ship those suckers out!

This is the closest thing we have to a review of the 6g. Would prefer something better though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iORNWrgty4

Can you post a link to the newegg or Amazon listing? I can't seem to find any of the aftermarket cooler 980ti

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Where are you seeing 2.5 times louder? Are you going by the 3db is twice as much noise thing?

Yes.

I can't imagine 35db under full load. My current 680 SLI probably hits 48db.

[edit] 55db @ 71c using a free phone app at 90 cm vs their $4000 equipment at 100cm. (same background level)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 24, 2015

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

Can you post a link to the newegg or Amazon listing? I can't seem to find any of the aftermarket cooler 980ti
It isn't in stock anywhere, but here are the links.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889&cm_re=980ti-_-14-127-889-_-Product
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-980Ti-GAMING-6G/dp/B0106QZE62/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1435167193&sr=1-20&keywords=980ti

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ak Gara posted:

Yes.

I can't imagine 35db under full load. My current 680 SLI probably hits 48db.

[edit] 55db @ 71c using a free phone app at 90 cm vs their $4000 equipment at 100cm. (same background level)

I am only asking because I didnt see it in that noise list, and if its measured from two different websites it doesnt really relate well. I am interested because that particular EVGA cooler didn't perform so great for the other Maxwell releases.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

EVGA 980 Ti SC
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/29.html

Gigabyte 980 Ti G1
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/29.html

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, the gigabyte is not that quiet. The windforce cooler does cool very effectively though, beating out EVGA and the reference.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/34.html

The gigabyte gaming cards are often the best performers, but not all that silence oriented. Still, if you just put on a headset, you might not care.

MSI has been the kings of quiet with recent cards. Here is the old 980.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Gaming/24.html

Here is another one, that shows the 980 noise and temps compared to other 980s.
http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5867/10/15x-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-and-980-review-what-card-to-pick-cooling-noise-levels-and-power-use

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 24, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

El Scotch posted:

Aye. I really want the Fury X2 to be worth it, because I love the idea of sticking a HBM powerhouse in an itx case and downsizing. If AMD can't make it viable, there's no incentive for Nvidia to do it with Pascal - aside from a new $3000 Titan Q or whatever the hell they call it.

I think the whole premise of Pascal is hbm/new form factors/ new NVLink bus connection, so that doesn't seem like a big worry.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Filthy Monkey posted:

The gigabyte gaming cards are often the best performers, but not all that silence oriented. Still, if you just put on a headset, you might not care.

Is it not possible to make a custom fan curve in afterburner or something?

zebez
Apr 27, 2008
Oh god I just ordered a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming to replace my old rear end Gigabyte Radeon HD6950 2GB. I was waiting until AMD's Fury got reviewed. And It seems the 980Ti beats it handily at 1080p which is the resolution I'll use for the foreseeable future (Don't wanna replace my monitors or TV for a few years). Gonna be quite the upgrade!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, the gigabyte is not that quiet. The windforce cooler does cool very effectively though, beating out EVGA and the reference.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/34.html

My 980 TI G1 is considerably louder than the 970 G1 SLIs they replaced. It only gets loud in GTA 5, though, and I'm wondering if the SLI 970s would have throttled up in that game too. I was playing Fallout 3 with them :/

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This is why I watercool. My titan at 1485 core hit 41C yesterday. I almost had to turn the fans on the rad back on :smaug:

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I just snagged MSI 980ti gaming on New Egg. Should be at the house by the weekend. Sending 980 vanilla back to Amazon. I got to say I was disappointed at Fury X. AMD had some top end claims in that e3 PC show.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

veedubfreak posted:

This is why I watercool. My titan at 1485 core hit 41C yesterday. I almost had to turn the fans on the rad back on :smaug:

The rest of my PC is silent, so it's irritating. I'm not a tinkerer, though -- I have limited time to game, no time to research parts, and I want poo poo to just work. Right or wrong, that's not the impression I have about water cooling.

If I could do something leak proof, <1 hour to install, guaranteed to fit my H440, etc. I totally would.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

HalloKitty posted:

Is it not possible to make a custom fan curve in afterburner or something?

It's easy to do, yup.

It's not what I'd call a loud card, but I've also got it in a very well dampened Silverstone FT-02 case.

For loud card reference, I also owned a GTX480 at one point :suicide:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Gwaihir posted:

It's easy to do, yup.

It's not what I'd call a loud card, but I've also got it in a very well dampened Silverstone FT-02 case.

For loud card reference, I also owned a GTX480 at one point :suicide:

If you havn't owned a 5800ultra i feel bad for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYWaUJakMfg

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

KS posted:

The rest of my PC is silent, so it's irritating. I'm not a tinkerer, though -- I have limited time to game, no time to research parts, and I want poo poo to just work. Right or wrong, that's not the impression I have about water cooling.

If I could do something leak proof, <1 hour to install, guaranteed to fit my H440, etc. I totally would.

You can do it in an hour, guaranteed to fit in that case as I happen to have it and have used CLC watercooling for both my CPU and GPU with room to spare. What I used is the NZXT G10 and some flavor of AIO water cooler. I'm sure the EVGA hybrid kit works a little better, but will cost you probably twice as much. Leaks are essentially a thing of the past, and mostly associated with first gen water coolers and occasionally open loop cooling (a different method completely)

However, what I recommend first if you want is repasting your card. That means unscrewing the four screws on the back, removing the cooler, and replacing the paste. Paste brand matters somewhat here... but I am so out of date right now I can't even remember what to use someone else will know for sure.That can drop you 5-15 degrees, which is huge, and then you can adjust your fan curve in afterburner to allow warmer temps(if you even need to, you might be right on the edge). The advantage to this is that its very cheap and even for a first timer it takes very little time.

The water cooling method costs more and takes a little longer but of course totally smashes your temps. You can set your curve where the fan simply never changes speed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp was waiting for amd to show off the fury x before making a decision but its now almost guaranteed to be a 980ti unless something happens in the next 3 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

What I used is the NZXT G10 and some flavor of AIO water cooler.

how do you refill the AIO after attaching it to the g10? I imagine they have fill ports, but I have never looked closely.

I just read the item description and see that its more of an adapter for an AIO kit.

Nevermind