Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Sapo posted:

The latest .exe included the change "Fix: endless clock as vehicle tries to cower," so I grabbed it along with the newest directory. So far I've taken Drassen and haven't had any problems.

A few people over the last dozen pages (the last year) have asked how to get AFS with wildfire maps. I threw together an archive of 1.13 (7875 on 2245) and AFS configured to use wildfire 6.07 for easy installation and uploaded it. Extract to the root of a fresh installation and launch AFS or any of its sub-mods. The adjusted NCTH system works really well with the more restricted wildfire maps. Some found items will show up as NAdA (removed guns?) but the majority of placed items are fine.

This is great. How did you manage to get them to play nicely together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Sapo posted:

The latest .exe included the change "Fix: endless clock as vehicle tries to cower," so I grabbed it along with the newest directory. So far I've taken Drassen and haven't had any problems.

A few people over the last dozen pages (the last year) have asked how to get AFS with wildfire maps. I threw together an archive of 1.13 (7875 on 2245) and AFS configured to use wildfire 6.07 for easy installation and uploaded it. Extract to the root of a fresh installation and launch AFS or any of its sub-mods. The adjusted NCTH system works really well with the more restricted wildfire maps. Some found items will show up as NAdA (removed guns?) but the majority of placed items are fine.

Holy poo poo, thanks for this. I was wondering if it can even be done at all, I guess the answer is yes!

As for the infinite clock: I've got a weird variation of that. Whenever I open a door and then crouch down immediately afterwards, before the animation finishes, it eats the AP it's supposed to take, but just gives me the spinning clock for a long while, like a minute or so. Then the character is frozen in the standing stance and I have to move them to another tile to crouch/go prone. It's really loving annoying

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
SO is Flashback good now or was it yet another JA2 flop?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mans posted:

SO is Flashback good now or was it yet another JA2 flop?

Its a flop.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Dumb question but, how do I play this? Using the 1.13 mod with new cth and interrupt system turned on.

I don't mean reading the manual or knowing hotkeys etc. I got all that. I mean actual gameplay. I try to take cover while checking it out holding end and nothing really seems to work. Both me and my enemies miss every shot and I feel like I'm just bumbling through everything. Is there a good let's play or video to go through?

I'm not finding the game too difficult but so far all I've done is run up to enemies and just blow them away point blank as only those shots can hit with the pistols I have. Not very subtle or tactical. lol.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Red Mundus posted:

Dumb question but, how do I play this? Using the 1.13 mod with new cth and interrupt system turned on.

I don't mean reading the manual or knowing hotkeys etc. I got all that. I mean actual gameplay. I try to take cover while checking it out holding end and nothing really seems to work. Both me and my enemies miss every shot and I feel like I'm just bumbling through everything. Is there a good let's play or video to go through?

I'm not finding the game too difficult but so far all I've done is run up to enemies and just blow them away point blank as only those shots can hit with the pistols I have. Not very subtle or tactical. lol.

The early game stinks a bunch, it doesn't really open up until you get some rifles or something with range.

You can look to hire a higher end merc that may have a rifle early, that can allievate a lot of the frustration.

Also (and I say this because it took me foreeevvvveeerrrr to figure out) you can right click on the target to improve accuracy of your shots.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, I've been right-clicking a bunch to aim which helps but Christ almighty the early guns are ridiculiously bad. A Colt 1911 is not that inaccurate!

Should I have turned on the new cth system? Reading up on it it might contribute to problems I'm having.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, I've been right-clicking a bunch to aim which helps but Christ almighty the early guns are ridiculiously bad. A Colt 1911 is not that inaccurate!

Should I have turned on the new cth system? Reading up on it it might contribute to problems I'm having.

Pistols are kind of frustrating outside of situational use.

One midlevel merc with a rifle can make a huge difference, and once you take Drassen and can order from Bobby Ray's the game takes off quite a bit.

I don't know if you'd see much improvement with ncth/old cth, both have inaccuracy with pistols over longer ranges, maybe somebody else can clarify a bit more.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I've been playing the newest stable release and there are a ton of features now that are somewhat poorly documented although most info on them can be found on this subforum . Examples include artillery support, spotting, building fortifications and a ton of other stuff.

What I noticed is that lasers now negatively affect a merc's camouflage rating and the ghilli suit is somewhat incomprehensible now given that it now an armor type without providing any armor rating. Camo in general is kind of hosed up.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Red Mundus posted:

Play with the old CTH system imo. NCTH is a system that stems from a good idea but hasn't been implemented in a fun way. Like, the initial aim was to combat the headshot game that you'll eventually get into when you have high level mercs with shiny assault weapons and all the tacticool poo poo. While that is a problem of the endgame, NCTH made the early game even more tedious than it already was and imo it still isn't tuned enough. Some people like it, but I'm not fond of it at all. Though, it gets a lot better once you have some rifle type weapons and a dinky x2 scope. But getting there can be a huge pain.

Give the old CTH system a try, and see if it changes your experience. Though, the pistol phase is tedious by default, and you need to make a few ballsy moves to close the distance and get into range with your starting guns. Your IMP merc should at least start with a SMG type weapon if you don't gimp your shooting skills. Use him as a center piece if you don't start with any of the more costly mercs in your group. Like, get that SMG on a roof and suddenly the range is less of an issue. Especially since the AI will move towards you. But keep in mind that they can afford to take a million 1% shots, while you can't. So usually I have my SMG dudes get the attention so that soldiers move towards them and come closer. And then my pistol guys jump out of corners and poo poo to get in close range shots before getting back to cover. Omerta should be easy this way. Taking Drassen can be a bit more challenging though. Either go for a Night Ops team and use the darkness as your main advantage, or deal with the daylight and try to get the enemy to move towards a spot that's advantageous for you so that you can pick them off.

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 24, 2015

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I haven't played in ages, but for early game the goto strategy was to go for night assaults, set up an ambush, and draw the enemy in by having one dude make a hell of a lot of noise. That used to draw the enemy into your ambush, and since its nighttime everyone's gonna be close combat fighting.

But yeah, hire a high level merc for a day, take drassen, and then take all the high level merc's stuff while you order in from Bobby rays.

I think turning on "enemies drop everything" might help a bit too.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

NCTH is...actually even worse in some aspects when it comes to that. It does give you a whole lot more feedback on how accurate your shots are gonna be and stuff, though.

Mostly it's just pistols sucking and early game mercs having low stats, it kinda ends up with pretty unfun gameplay for a short while.

With a reasonably high Marksmanship stat and a tag in a weapon skill (I think?) your custom merc should spawn with something a bit more long ranged, like a SMG, and 1.13 added multiple loadouts for the hireable mercs so most of them have a slightly more expensive loadout option with a rifle/smg/shotgun. This helps a lot, too.

Burns
May 10, 2008

M.Ciaster posted:

NCTH is...actually even worse in some aspects when it comes to that. It does give you a whole lot more feedback on how accurate your shots are gonna be and stuff, though.

Mostly it's just pistols sucking and early game mercs having low stats, it kinda ends up with pretty unfun gameplay for a short while.

With a reasonably high Marksmanship stat and a tag in a weapon skill (I think?) your custom merc should spawn with something a bit more long ranged, like a SMG, and 1.13 added multiple loadouts for the hireable mercs so most of them have a slightly more expensive loadout option with a rifle/smg/shotgun. This helps a lot, too.

I suggest also trying Arulco Reloaded. This mod changes the maps somewhat and also adds more life to the old plain sectors, several cities and so forth. The most significant change is that Drassen is less significant early on as Bobby Ray's is available much further. The maps all have more useful stuff around, so you get shotguns, carbines a little earlier. Just make sure you have a merc with good lockpicking skill. Also, if you really want to cheese it, make 6-10 IMPs, name them after your friends and go have fun that way!

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Also, give shotguns and buckshot to mercs with bad aim. Each pellet counts as a separate bullet when calculating suppression effects, so even if the merc can't hit anything, he'll still keep the enemy cowering on the ground from all the buckshot flying over his head. Then you can sprint your pistol mercs up and execute them from point blank range. Or stab them after running halfway across the map in 1 turn, if you hired Razor. :v:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CCKeane posted:

Pistols are kind of frustrating outside of situational use.

One midlevel merc with a rifle can make a huge difference, and once you take Drassen and can order from Bobby Ray's the game takes off quite a bit.

I don't know if you'd see much improvement with ncth/old cth, both have inaccuracy with pistols over longer ranges, maybe somebody else can clarify a bit more.

I like slaughtering that farm with the inbred hics and stealing their weapon stash.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

etalian posted:

I like slaughtering that farm with the inbred hics and stealing their weapon stash.

Isn't there stash mostly shotguns?

Although they WOULD be pretty easy targets in the early game, especially if you hide out in the shed.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kris xK posted:

I haven't played in ages, but for early game the goto strategy was to go for night assaults, set up an ambush, and draw the enemy in by having one dude make a hell of a lot of noise. That used to draw the enemy into your ambush, and since its nighttime everyone's gonna be close combat fighting.

But yeah, hire a high level merc for a day, take drassen, and then take all the high level merc's stuff while you order in from Bobby rays.

I think turning on "enemies drop everything" might help a bit too.

Last time I played I had to turn it on as all the wandering groups on the map swarmed Drassen after I took it. It was really tense (fun) cowering on the roof and watching my ammo slowly disappear. We had to resort to punching people to death on the roof to nick their weapons at a certain point when ammo almost ran out and my IMP and Ira almost died. I think I killed 68 enemy soldiers (red and black) in one long rear end combat situation. Even Ira killed loads of people stupid enough to climb onto the roof in front of her dual pistols (she still managed to miss shots despite being in their face). I really should finish that game at some point even though I'm overpowered as can be now.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

Last time I played I had to turn it on as all the wandering groups on the map swarmed Drassen after I took it. It was really tense (fun) cowering on the roof and watching my ammo slowly disappear. We had to resort to punching people to death on the roof to nick their weapons at a certain point when ammo almost ran out and my IMP and Ira almost died. I think I killed 68 enemy soldiers (red and black) in one long rear end combat situation. Even Ira killed loads of people stupid enough to climb onto the roof in front of her dual pistols (she still managed to miss shots despite being in their face). I really should finish that game at some point even though I'm overpowered as can be now.

Tell me you've got a screenshot of this. I've never much had any success with such a tactic.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

Just FYI a combination of no experience, terrible marksmanship and non-ambidextrous makes akimbo guns pretty much useless. Give her a light SMG with plenty of ammo so you can use her to spray and lock down enemies while your useful mercs close in for the kill.

Use Danny if you want akimbo goodness (like you needed another reason to recruit Danny every single time)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Burns posted:

Tell me you've got a screenshot of this. I've never much had any success with such a tactic.

I still had the save game, I even saved it with a special name. This is part of it, there are more dead guys out of range of the screenshot and there were still 4 enemies alive. Notice the many guys on the tiny roof. Normally getting on the roof is not such a great idea since you'll get interrupted and shot. Stay near the centre of roof and you're incredibly hard for them to hit since they can only aim for your head.

Mans posted:

Just FYI a combination of no experience, terrible marksmanship and non-ambidextrous makes akimbo guns pretty much useless. Give her a light SMG with plenty of ammo so you can use her to spray and lock down enemies while your useful mercs close in for the kill.

Use Danny if you want akimbo goodness (like you needed another reason to recruit Danny every single time)

Yes I know, but who gives Ira weapons like that when you´re surrounded like that and just started out. I was happy even having 2 smgs. Any enemies on that roof were at point blank range for her, which is the only reason I did it. :)

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Mans posted:

Spraying down people has never worked for me, especially in early game when the moment you set a gun to burst, or auto, bullets will go everywhere but near your target. So I'm wondering how you get suppression to be useful at all. Even if the shots are near misses, it never makes them scared enough to stop shooting, even after wasting a magazine's worth of ammo. Let alone the 5 other dudes that will come around while you try to pin down one of them. Do you use settings different than the default?

Also, Fox supremacy.

Broose fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 25, 2015

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe it's because i'm using that old AINMAS version but spraying 20 bullets all over the radious of five guys usually steals most of their APs for the next turn.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
yeah, same. Even with my lovely guns and mercs I've been taking potshots to eat up enemy ap and then run up and kill them. Works nicely although sometimes someone eats a bullet because the enemy had just enough ap to fire off a round.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If complain about range and what please remember that JA2 counts actual range incredibly strangely it's something like 1 tile = 10 meters. You can the... F key, i think, in game on a tile and it will give a bunch information on how far it is for you merc, the range vs. gun's range, cover, lighting, etc.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CCKeane posted:

Isn't there stash mostly shotguns?

Although they WOULD be pretty easy targets in the early game, especially if you hide out in the shed.

Yeah but the stash usually has some mini M14s plus night vision goggles which can help out the early game.

Plus you get to kill inbred rednecks.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just hire Flo and give her as a gift to the hillbillies.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Mans posted:

Not even Flo deserves that.

Just shoot 'em all

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I really like Leech despite being creepy as hell. Starts with a good long-range gun and decent marksman. But man, finding .44 rounds are impossible early on. Not even Bobby Ray's sells them.

I also restarted and just hired a few mercs who didn't have pistols to start with and it made a huge difference. Also turned off the ncth system and I'm liking it much more than when it was on.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mans posted:

Shame on a leader that doesn't park her at Tony's place to make her a top tier arms dealer

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Quick question about 1.13 I noticed that I can park mercs at certain places in sector. Like in Drassen there's a something called a combat hospital and I can place a merc there. What does that do? Does it allow me to place certain mercs around the place and act as hospitals, etc?

Another question. How do I turn off merc lights at night? G key doesn't work anymore.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 26, 2015

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Putting them in those positions allows them act both as a medic if needed and also train their skills faster than the training option iirc.

Also there should be something under options menu itself, check that out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

Maybe it's because i'm using that old AINMAS version but spraying 20 bullets all over the radious of five guys usually steals most of their APs for the next turn.

AIMNAS if I remember correctly sets the suppression numbers much higher than the default 1.13 configuration, so playing that you might get used to suppression being really effective compared to 1.13 where it's just okay. Of course it's all just presets in the config file so you can easily tweak the numbers to be more satisfying.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Red Mundus posted:

Quick question about 1.13 I noticed that I can park mercs at certain places in sector. Like in Drassen there's a something called a combat hospital and I can place a merc there. What does that do? Does it allow me to place certain mercs around the place and act as hospitals, etc?

Another question. How do I turn off merc lights at night? G key doesn't work anymore.

If you click on a facility like you're going to assign a merc to it then hover over 'staff' it tells you what the facility does.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Urgh. I forgot how much the normal maps suck.

Dug through the archives for the old burn notice style LP for this game, found the ANIMAS maps which are pretty good if you still want to invade Alruco. http://kermi.pp.fi/JA_2/v1.13_Releases/Unofficial/English/tais/Old/AIMNAS/

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Oh hey, time for me to repost the V21 link to old AIMNAS again. Kermi only has the V20 iirc, though I don't even know if V21 had important fixes. But it was the last release before the bigmaps thing, so might as well

AIMNAS V21

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Anyone have an advice in getting 1.13 to run in Ubuntu linux? I recently installed it over top of ChromeOS and it works great, actually. I thought JA2 would be a perfect thing to run in that environment, but I'm guessing I have to use some sort of emulation. Any tips?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've owned this game for years but Invisible Inc and the XCOM 2 announcement have pushed me to finally try it. Glad this thread is still going!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can't seem to get the game to launch using INI Editor. It doesn't like windowed mode because nothing runs in 16-bit colour anymore and trying fullscreen 1024×768 doesn't work either. Can I launch through GOG Galaxy or will that bypass all of 1.13?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

I can't seem to get the game to launch using INI Editor. It doesn't like windowed mode because nothing runs in 16-bit colour anymore and trying fullscreen 1024×768 doesn't work either. Can I launch through GOG Galaxy or will that bypass all of 1.13?

You didn't install it in the Program Files folder, did you? I have no idea how that'd interact actually but IIRC it can cause really wonky poo poo.

Also, tried just running it in your native res? 1.13 seems to pretty much support all the resolutions under the sun since the last stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Are you trying to run it on windows8? Because good luck. Didnt work on my win8 laptop.