Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

New chapter out.

Touta manages to blow away Dana through sheer random reflexes and luck?

Also more Eva stuff, with some predestination going on... Wonder what Dana has in store for Kitty as the chapter ends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Haha the FINAL BOSS stuff was great and that form looked amazing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dana is great. She's fun.:allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh hey, it reads as if Touta's made peace with the Negi (Or Nagai?) situation in regards to Eva so that's nice.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I love how the paper is so small in her hands. Scale!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
It's only the beginner's course after all! :eng99: :nyd:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

GhostStalker posted:

Touta manages to blow away Dana through sheer random reflexes and luck?
I think he absorbed the blow with the dark side and expel it back to her with the white side.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 24, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nyaa posted:

I think he absorbed the blow with the dark side and expel it back to her with the white side.

Yeah, but he didn't do it consciously, just reflexively. It's why he couldn't do it again when Eva tried to get him to do so.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm really confused why Touta went from loving his adoptive mom in a normal platonic way to being in love with adoptive mom.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Backdown happened entirely because he realized who Kitty was.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rodyle posted:

The Backdown happened entirely because he realized who Kitty was.

I'm not sure I follow. He didn't know it was Evangeline until when?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nah, sorry guys. Touta is totes in love with Eva.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not sure I follow. He didn't know it was Evangeline until when?

Pretty much the end of last week's chapter?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Nah, sorry guys. Touta is totes in love with Eva.

It's this. I don't like it, but it's definitely this.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It's this. I don't like it, but it's definitely this.

I seriously don't think that this is the direction it's headed in. Maybe I just have more faith in Akamatsu? Of all the pervy stuff he draws, this seems less his style. Negi backed off from an Asuna romance, and a Touta/Eva pairing would lead the story/themes in a direction that doesn't make any sense.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

It's a one-sided crush and will likely never be more than that. Kid's a teenager, it's not strange that he's got the hots for the woman he's known and lived with for only two years

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's pretty clear he finds the idea of liking Yukihime weird, but he still has trouble associating Eva and Yukihime as one and the same.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I feel like he's just in the bizarro alternate dimension version of finding an old photograph and going "Man that girl is hot who is that? ... Oh poo poo that's my mom!?" and he'll snap out of it once he, y'know, starts talking to his actual mom again. But maybe I just want to believe.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Kyte posted:

It's pretty clear he finds the idea of liking Yukihime weird, but he still has trouble associating Eva and Yukihime as one and the same.

I feel like this is the best summary of the situation.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

New chapter up

Touta finally finds out he and Eva are existing in different times. And Kirie gets a bit suspicious of why he's so happy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm willing to ignore some of the weirder parts of all this so long as Eva gets her happy ending. Her life kinda sucked.:smith:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
You know, given the time shenanigans there's now a non-zero chance she fell for Nagi because he resembled Touta.

Also I don't think anybody mentioned it back when it first showed up but it's interesting that when Eva goes Yukihime she wears the same hairstyle as her mom.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I just made it to chapter 77. Madam Dana literally messing up Yukihime makes for one hell of a first impression. I didn't make it very far in the previous series but are nobles something that get's brought up in there? I keep putting it off but I'm starting to feel like I need to read to get more out of the references that keep cropping up about Negi and Yukihime.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Negima didn't establish the nobles but you should read Negima on the grounds that it's good.

It has less Jetstream Sam than UQ Holder does though.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
But it does have Jack Rakan.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think the compromise here is obvious: MGR dlc where Raiden fights Jack Rakan.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
It'd be something similar to the Armstrong fight, but even more awesome.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Noble vampires aka 'high day walkers' are mentioned a few times in Negima - at first Evangeline is called one. Then later on it's explained that she's actually not, she's a similar creature made artificially by the life maker, but real ones did exist, and that she was actually a failure at making one and not as naturally powerful as they tended to be.

We never actually meet one in the series until Dana shows up in UQ Holder.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Eva seems to be who most people think of when the subject of powerful vampires comes up in this setting, since the real ones are incredibly reclusive. Heck, we haven't even seen any other vampires in uq holder (the organization). I'm not sure if Touta is one, even. He has decided on his own that he isn't a vampire, but Eva did say that she made him immortal.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I finished Negima a couple weeks ago, but I didn't write up a post about it. Here's my thoughts now:

• I can see why people are disappointed by the ending; there's a pretty big storyline that was just skipped over.
  • On the other hand, I liked the epilogue part. A happy ending for everybody except Chisame, I guess. It's good to see that some of the girls ended up getting married to other people instead of pining over Negi their whole lives, and pretty much everyone accomplished something cool with their lives.
  • So the one who ended up with Negi in the end is...Chachamaru? (It wasn't stated directly, but it seemed to be implied.) Makes sense, I guess, although I wasn't expecting it.
  • It's kind of weird that, after all the weird sexual stuff in this manga, Akamatsu had to be so coy about Konoka and Setsuna getting married to each other. Oh, Japan...
  • Speaking of Konoka, I'm a little annoyed that she never really developed a personality beyond her generic niceness, despite being set up as one of the main characters from the start. Maybe she would have gotten more character development in the missing arc...
  • I can see where the speculation that UQ Holder takes place in the timeline where Asuna oversleeps comes from; the Lifemaker probably wouldn't still be around if Asuna had been there to destroy him.
  • I should probably see the anime sometime for the alternate ending Akamatsu mentions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He ended up with Chisame (who got her ideal ending) and I will hear no disagreement.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
A funny thing that people noted: In the Asuna-oversleeps timeline, Chisame appears to lead a fulfilling life as part of whatever committee develops the space elevator. But with Asuna awake she becomes a hikkikomori. Asuna somehow destroyed her life I guess?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

HellCopter posted:

A funny thing that people noted: In the Asuna-oversleeps timeline, Chisame appears to lead a fulfilling life as part of whatever committee develops the space elevator. But with Asuna awake she becomes a hikkikomori. Asuna somehow destroyed her life I guess?

It's implied that Chisame is at least occasionally accomplishing things for Negi while being a hikkikomori; probably she ended up about the same in both timelines.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

It's implied that Chisame is at least occasionally accomplishing things for Negi while being a hikkikomori; probably she ended up about the same in both timelines.

Yeah it flat out states that she's one of his most trusted advisors, so at the very least they likely talk a lot. Chachamaru probably visits her, too. But really she's living the NEET dream. A position of vital importance without ever having to leave your room.

But speaking of Chisame and Chachamaru, their being buddies reminds me of one of the things I really liked in Negima, that the side characters all had pretty developed relationships with other side characters, at least by manga standards, rather than all of them just being with Negi.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 1, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I for one would have liked to see one of these drinking parties Chamo and Chachazero supposedly had.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Rodyle posted:

I for one would have liked to see one of these drinking parties Chamo and Chachazero supposedly had.

You know, now that you bring him up, did we ever find out what Chamo's deal is? Who was he, how did he know Negi before becoming a ermine, or what he did to get turned into one? I honestly can't remember if it was ever addressed.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

You know, now that you bring him up, did we ever find out what Chamo's deal is? Who was he, how did he know Negi before becoming a ermine, or what he did to get turned into one? I honestly can't remember if it was ever addressed.

He wasn't turned into an Ermine, he's a naturally magical animal.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Silver2195 posted:

I finished Negima a couple weeks ago, but I didn't write up a post about it. Here's my thoughts now:

• I should probably see the anime sometime for the alternate ending Akamatsu mentions.

Though you may know this, there are two anime series - Negima! and Negima?!. The first kinda ended early (since it started so early) and has a totally-out-of-left-field ending that's actually surprisingly good and poignant, though it doesn't fit the feel of the series (since it's not really a fighting anime at all by that point). The other anime is just a 100% swerve from the source material into crazytown.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think Akamatsu was referring to the ending in the Magic World OVAs and not either of the TV series though.

What was Negima?! Even actually about anyway? All I remember seeing was Nekane being Tukedo Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Negima didn't establish the nobles but you should read Negima on the grounds that it's good.
Huh, Giving this a second shot and already making some connections. I notice on Negi's role call sheet there is a certain familiar name with a note attached saying to contact Takahata if she becomes a problem. Also I must be incredibly dense because I somehow didn't notice the robot and ghost my first attempt through.

quote:

It has less Jetstream Sam than UQ Holder does though.
But can Negima really handle a person who can send people to the moon?

• Locked thread