Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I'll post the full results this evening when I'm not on my phone, but it looks like And More is our lucky winner for this season by a single point!

And More, would you prefer to receive a semi-appropriate game on Steam, a semi-appropriate show on Amazon Instant View, or the mystery prize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Take the mystery prize. Take the mystery prize!!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be clear I'm fine with people posting their top/ bottom tens, and in fact would like to see them I'm just sayin that to not make it just a bare list, justifying why the episodes are where they are is what makes them interesting

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'll post the full results this evening when I'm not on my phone, but it looks like And More is our lucky winner for this season by a single point!

And More, would you prefer to receive a semi-appropriate game on Steam, a semi-appropriate show on Amazon Instant View, or the mystery prize?

I screwed up with my final guess, a C, but if I actually am the winner I will of course take the mystery price.

Your commentary on the guessing game was really great, btw. It made the whole thing feel way more exciting than month old guesses have any right to be. :)

And More fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 25, 2015

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
So we gonna live watch Deep Breath or what?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

armoredgorilla posted:

So we gonna live watch Deep Breath or what?

He's taking a break before starting season 8. Which certainly makes sense. They're not even on Netflix in the States yet anyway.

Also, not every episode lends itself to an entertaining live thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay here's my top list:

10. The Lodger
09. Listen (Occ you haven't seen this one yet)
08. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
07. Midnight
06. The Time of the Doctor
05. The Doctor’s Wife
04. Blink
03. The Day of the Doctor
02. Dalek
01. Human Nature/The Family of Blood

so yeah even I end up with half my list being Moff era (and half being Moffat scripts no matter the era). I don't really have huge amounts of justification for any of this; these are just the episodes I either got the most enjoyment out of (like Time) or that actually legitimately hit me like a ton of bricks (the top 2). I myself am really surprised I only ended up with one season 5 episode and not even one of the acclaimed ones, although Eleventh Hour, Amy's Choice, and maybe Vincent and the Doctor would definitely make it in if this list was 5 or 10 episodes longer. In fact if I had to take mystery episode out Amy's Choice (or Gridlock) would be 10. I think the majority of these are quite self-explanatory. Not so much Time but my logic is similar to Occ's in that regard. Dalek is the closest I come to being like Occ and loving something based on one scene - the bit where Eccleston first meets the Dalek and spits all that venom at it is still probably the most powerful individual scene Who has ever done IMO. Probably not gonna do a bottom list but my worst is still A Good Man Goes To War because it has the unfortunate issue of being lovely and boring.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, almost all of my top 10 are Moffat era or Moffat penned. The only RTD years one that makes it (and is penned by Davies himself) is Midnight, and we've already had that discussion.

Vincent and the Doctor is one that I put in my top 10 that probably isn't in most people's. I understand why, but I really love it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

I agree 100%!!

It arrived today!

So, uh.... roughly how long does one playthrough of this game take, anyways? Haha.

The whole '4 playthroughs' thing is misleading. The game's broken into Acts, and you only have to do Act 1 once, as I recall, plus it saves all non-main quest progress, so you don't have to redo sidequests. They really do make it about as painless as possible.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seeing as how I'm laid up with a URI that has me having trouble breathing and sounding like Christian Bale's Batman, I decided to do a Top/Bottom 10 of episodes so far. I realize while writing this that I basically suck Moffat's dick. Huh.:

Top 10:

10. The Rings of Akhaten
I'm a sucker when Who is willing to acknowledge the deep roots of this series, and I'm that weirdo who loved Clara even though she was so badly characterized. There's a lot to dislike in this one, but it worked for me.

9. The God Complex
This is an episode that does a sine wave over the line between working and not working, but it ultimately worked for me with stylistic flourishes, clever little details, and a dogged commitment to the concept.

8. Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead
River Song got on my nerves as time went by, but her introduction to the series is note-perfect.

7. The Girl Who Waited
It kills me not to put more Donna episodes on this list because she is my favorite companion, but this episode edged off every other Series Four episode because holy poo poo did the Who team go to work on analyzing Amy in a way that'd break every RTD companion over their knee. Karen Gillian deserves a long career because she can put in the work like no one's business.

6. The Waters of Mars
My only complaint about this one is that we never really get to see Ten on his "Time Lord Victorious" rampage and the plot is resolved almost as quickly as it's introduced, but otherwise we have a crackerjack sci-fi story, and the makeup on those monsters is dynamite.

5. Blink
It had to be on here, but it deserves to be on here. Tightly plotted, tightly produced, with the best new villain Who ever introduced and the lightning-in-a-bottle fortune of getting Carey Mulligan immediately before she broke out to lead the way. "Because life is short, and you are hot."

4. The Day of the Doctor
It doesn't feature McGann, nor Eccleston, nor McCoy, but it does everything a proper multi-Doctor story should do and as the 50th Anniversary special it earns the right to play the "every Doctor shows up at once" card--something that should never ever happen more than once in 25 years.

3. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
The rare Series One episode where everything works, and the reveal really is killer. Nine's finest hour, although his speech in "Dalek" alone was almost enough to get me to put that episode on here as well.

2. The Eleventh Hour
If I could pick only one episode to show to someone who had never seen Doctor Who before to encapsulate the franchise, this is the one. Given the incredible scope of tones, genres, and material Doctor Who has covered that is a very high compliment.

1. The Doctor's Wife
The most exceptional episode of Doctor Who I've ever seen. This is what baby Doctor Who episodes dream of becoming.

Bottom 10:

10. Nightmare in Silver
No one bats 1.000, but watching the same man who wrote "The Doctor's Wife" whiff this badly alongside all the other problems of this episode makes it memorably painful.

9. 42
This is an episode I have confused with "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit" multiple times. It is the very definition of repetitious and disposable. Even really bad Doctor Who should not be this disposable, especially relative to disposable episodes of itself.

8. The Angels Take Manhattan
Nothing about this episode really bothered me except this was a pivotal episode, and that moment deserved better. Doctor Who, I'm as uncomfortable as you are when I see US shows try to transplant their characters to London. Please quit trying to come to New York. You never do it well.

7. Closing Time
"The Lodger" was a refreshing diversion towards the end of Series Five, so it was really disappointing to see the show return to that well and cock it up. Other than Eleven and Craig's chemistry nothing about this episode worked.

6. The Planet of the Dead
It's astonishing that this was made after "Midnight" because every cliche RTD levels against Ten and by extension himself in "Midnight" is on full display here.

5. The End of Time
Ten is my least favorite Doctor of the new series by a mile, but Tennant is a fantastic actor and he deserved way better than this. So much better. "I don't want to go." Shove it up your rear end RTD. Speaking of...

4. Daleks In Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks
A Dalek shoves a grown human up his rear end and walks around with penis dreadlocks in a bad New York accent. A+++ for schlock value, but an embarrassment to everyone involved otherwise.

3. The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe
Aside from being a dynamite showcase on how Matt Smith can make even the worst writing work for him, it's a first-draft screenplay and oh lord does it feel like one. Moffat, even with your cachet as a writer you were a lazy bastard with this one. gently caress you.

2. "Voyage of the Damned"
This is everything I hate about RTD's writing, even more than in "Planet of the Dead." Excessive, schlocky camp that could work if the show had a sense of winking fun about its ridiculousness but it always stops short and has Tennant acting like this poo poo is "for real." Poor guy.

1. Love and Monsters
This was the first one I decided on, because there really hasn't been a worse episode since the series came back in 2005. Not only is it one of the most offensively bad episodes of Who I've ever seen on multiple levels, it uses a killer pulp premise that deserved a much better treatment than a funhouse mirror version of how the creators saw the fanbase. They are Blowjob Cinderblock and this is their song about a whale.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 25, 2015

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Handles really was great.

And hooray, 12! He very quickly became my favourite Doctor.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good list overall, walrus! Although man I was so tempted to make my top 10 a top 20 because then Love and Monsters would have been on it and it would have been fun to watch you all flip out.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

What we need to understand from my perspective is that while Doctor Who has been a big part of my life, it's been so only in bursts. During the '80s I would watch Doctor Who on WTTW, Chicago's PBS station. It'd be on at 10:30pm Sunday nights right after Monty Python and Dave Allen at Large. When I could get away with it, I'd watch it that night until midnight then be sleepy at school the next day. When my parents caught me, I'd tape it and watch it Monday afternoon after school. Like so many other Americans, Four was my Doctor. The first episode I ever saw was "Robot", Four's first. Then Four stuck around for so long that you just got the idea, "okay, this is what Doctor Who is." Every Doctor after Four felt off. Five was too strident, too panicked. He never seemed to be in control the way Four was. Six was too goofy and over the top for my teenaged self, while Seven was just too...Seven. These opinions have changed over the years, mind you, but the important part was that by the time I left home to go to college, I'd always been unsatisfied with the rest of Doctor Who because it wasn't Four. The differences grated on me. And since Doctor Who had been canceled, there was no Who I hadn't seen (or at least that I was aware I hadn't seen) I packed up my love for Who in a box and set it aside and moved on to other things. Star Trek: the Next Generation was a big deal at the University of Illinois in 1991, and I would join dorm lounges full of geeks for weekly episodes. Babylon 5 appeared on the scene only a couple of years into my college career, and occupied my sci-fi TV headspace for most of the '90s, and so on.

Sure, the '96 TV movie made an appearance, and while it allowed me to open up my Who fandom box for a while, it wasn't very good and more importantly, was a big flop so Fox never made more. So I shrugged, closed the box again, and went back to dreaming about the Shadow War.

Rolling it forward to 2005, and suddenly Doctor Who was a thing again. And it was a big enough of a deal that myself and a group of friends would gather at one friend's condo and watch it on his nice TV. Then we'd talk about it, try to figure out "what it all meant", then come back the next week and do it again. It was great. We watched all of Eccleston, and then we found out he was leaving after only one season and we were bummed out. But then Tennant showed up and, man he was better! Or at least the stories were more enjoyable. We went through the three+ seasons of Ten and then bang, he's leaving too. The same fears as before arose, that the new guy wouldn't be as good, and then what do ya know, Matt Smith was even better than Tennant had been! And a funny thing happened starting with "The Eleventh Hour". For the first time, Who wasn't fire and forget for me. I rewatched "The Eleventh Hour" two more times the night it aired. Same for "Amy's Choice" and "Pandorica/Big Bang" and "Impossible/Moon" and "The Doctor's Wife" and "Good Man". I was much more invested in Doctor Who than I'd ever been before. Or since, really, as Twelve hasn't grabbed me the way Eleven had.

Which is a very long way to go to say that Eleven is my Doctor in a way that none of the others have been, even Four. And my top ten revival episodes, excluding season 8, reflects that rather strongly:

Honorable Mentions:
"Utopia" / "The Sound of Drums" / "Last of the Time Lords" - There's a lot of goofy as poo poo in these three episodes, particularly Gollum Doctor which I find off-putting. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the Master/Doctor interactions, and while it's a shame he only got to play him for like 90 seconds, that minute and a half of Derek Jacobi as the Master was glorious.

"The Angels Take Manhattan" - Mostly for the ending, especially with the unfilmed post-script attached. It's a terrible shame that Mark Williams wasn't available to film "P.S.", because it's the ending that Rory deserved to get.

10. "Amy's Choice" - The idea of a female companion who loves someone besides the Doctor and leaves him for that someone isn't new. In fact it was the very first "how to write a companion off the show" trick they ever used. But in almost all those cases, the romance is a one episode affair that leaves a sour taste in the viewer's mouth. "Really, Leela? You just met the guy, and as far as we could tell you don't even LIKE him!" For Amy to already be in love with Rory before she meets the Doctor, to stay in love with Rory, and eventually to choose to die with Rory? That was new. And "Amy's Choice" was the first time we really saw that in Amy. Plus, I really enjoyed Toby Jones as the Dream Lord.

9. "The Impossible Astronaut" / "Day of the Moon" - Nixon as a protagonist, the clever bit of using father and son Sheppards for old and young Canton, River being cool, and the shock of the death scene in the beginning of "Astronaut" all contribute to my fondness for these episodes. These are a great season opener that establishes a great mystery for the rest of the season. That the season fails to stick the landing on said mysteries is not the fault of either "Astronaut" or "Moon".

8. "Human Nature / The Family of Blood" - I like the "Life and Times of John Smith". I especially love the ending where The Doctor returns, goes apeshit on the Family, but ends up having Joan shut him down cold regardless. The bit with Joan's granddaughter doing the book signing was my favorite part of the extended goodbye tour in "The End of Time", and it works because "Human" and "Family" both scored.

7. "Blink" - I loved this episode. The fact that because of various real life delays, our watching group ended up a couple of weeks behind and watched "Human Nature", "Family of Blood", and "Blink" all on the same night made for great night indeed. It's a shame that we'll probably never see Sally Sparrow again, because Carey Mulligan killed it.

6. "Dalek" - If you've seen nearly everything the Daleks have been in, and I have, Dalek really is the end all and be all of the Dalek storyline. Eccleston is at his best losing his poo poo before the enemy he thought had finally been wiped out. That the story is weakened after the fact by other episodes isn't this episode's fault either.

5. "Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead" - I like River. Seeing her story end makes the rest of her time with the Doctor that much more tragic. Funny story. As we finished watching "Forest" I turned to the rest of the group and said "you know, they should totally keep River as a recurring character, just reverse her appearances chronologically." The rest of the group laughed and said that would never happen and that River was clearly a one and done character. Well gently caress you guys, I got it right. :colbert:

4. "The Doctor's Wife" - I'm a big Gaiman guy. I loved Sandman, American Gods is my favorite novel. In fact I've had to buy that novel like three times now, because I keep lending it to people and never getting it back. It didn't surprise me at all that when he finally got to write for Who, Gaiman knocked it out of the park. ("Nightmare in Silver", on the other hand, did surprise me. :cripes:) "Wife" really is a great little story, and a funny thing happened by the end of it. After the episode, for the first time, I actually wanted Gallifrey and the Time Lords back!

3. "The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang" - A seasion finale that actually brings a season to a real conclusion? Who'd a thunk it? There are so many great moments, but what really impresses me is that it hangs together really well.

2. "The Eleventh Hour" - I watched the drat thing three times in one night. I love this episode. What else is there to say? :shrug: I guess I could add that Eleven grabbed me from his very first conversation with Amelia, I loved both Amelia and Amy, and the way the Doctor won the day with a "I'm so awesome, fear me!" speech is a beautiful setup for the fact that he's managed to scare everyone, leading to his downfall in "Pandorica". Which is just nifty.

1. "Day of the Doctor" - For the most part I agree with everything that Occ said in his review, except that the things that bugged him like Four and the Zygons worked for me! I got the references to the beginning of "An Unearthly Child", I liked bringing back the lil dildo guys as a nod to the old days, I laughed as I realized that Mofat was going out of his way to provide the background to one throwaway line in "The Shakespeare Code", and I loved the War Doctor's exasperation at his future selves. But most of all, I loved how "Day" worked hard to be for old fans and new. Occ's reaction shows that even New Who fans love "Day of the Doctor" but it had so much in there that was a reward if you're a survivor from Old Who. As Steven Moffat himself is. Seeing Four again, who was once my Doctor, brought a tear to my eye. Especially since I'd somehow managed to not be spoiled on that little point, and was actually surprised by it. Maybe it was just odd and off putting if you weren't from the Old School, but so what? Not everything's for you. That one? That was for me, and people like me.

And I loved it.

I'm not going to get bogged down by a Bottom Ten. I just don't feel it right now. Maybe later.

e:sp

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 26, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bown posted:

Good list overall, walrus! Although man I was so tempted to make my top 10 a top 20 because then Love and Monsters would have been on it and it would have been fun to watch you all flip out.

love and monsters is in my top ten, gently caress you all

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I think most people were surprised by Four showing up, weren't they? I remember the thread flipping out. Especially because, like Nine, the actor had previously had a "never doing Who again" stance. Of course, he's obviously changed that stance since, now doing audios and whatnot, but for a long time he was done with it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I recall hearing Tom Baker regretted not doing The Five Doctors after the fact so I imagine he saw this as a chance to square his legacy away.

BSam posted:

love and monsters is in my top ten, gently caress you all

First rule of Who. I really don't care that you or Bown like it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

NarkyBark posted:

I think most people were surprised by Four showing up, weren't they? I remember the thread flipping out. Especially because, like Nine, the actor had previously had a "never doing Who again" stance. Of course, he's obviously changed that stance since, now doing audios and whatnot, but for a long time he was done with it.

Actually I think he dropped hints a day or two before broadcast but nobody particularly believed it because they thought it was just Tom Baker being Tom Baker.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Noxville posted:

Actually I think he dropped hints a day or two before broadcast but nobody particularly believed it because they thought it was just Tom Baker being Tom Baker.

I am still about 20% sure that it wasn't meant to be part of the episode, but he just turned up and started talking to Matt Smith.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo i realized that I never gave out prizes for S6

yo, Notatwat, you won the S6 guessing game, you get your pick of

BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Deus Ex HR
MGR: Revengeance
Skyrim
Bastion
Papers, Please
Bully
Super Meat Boy
Spec Ops: The Line

And More you get a game too, whatever you want of what notatwat doesn't choose

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I recall hearing Tom Baker regretted not doing The Five Doctors after the fact so I imagine he saw this as a chance to square his legacy away.

First rule of Who. I really don't care that you or Bown like it.

Hey Bown is ok, but don't lump my Who opinions in with his Who opinions. That's just not on.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BSam posted:

Hey Bown is ok, but don't lump my Who opinions in with his Who opinions. That's just not on.

One of the inferences of the first rule of Who is that as no group of Who fans will ever have aligned opinions about the quality of any given story, therefore there will be strange overlap between people about what they like and dislike even if the why is vastly different.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Yo i realized that I never gave out prizes for S6

yo, Notatwat, you won the S6 guessing game, you get your pick of

BIT.TRIP BEAT
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Deus Ex HR
MGR: Revengeance
Skyrim
Bastion
Papers, Please
Bully
Super Meat Boy
Spec Ops: The Line

And More you get a game too, whatever you want of what notatwat doesn't choose

Normally I say anything that isn't Rising is a scrub choice, but honestly, Bully, Papers Please, Bastion and DX:HR are all great choices, and I've heard good poo poo about SMB and Spec Ops.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

NarkyBark posted:

Beats me. I went dark for a couple of weeks before the 50th just to avoid spoilers. Given how bad the spoilers get online about Who, I guess I assumed that the spoilers were out there. If they weren't, it's a pretty impressive feat for Moffat and company, even more so given that whole fuckin' episodes got leaked for the first quarter of season eight.

And I was just about to put a bunch of season eight spoilers here because I forgot which thread I was in. Whew. Lemme take it to the main thread.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well a couple of days before it aired, Tom spilled the beans on being in Day... but because Tom is crazy, no one believed him!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I assumed Four was going to show up because he's, well, Four, but was hoping on surprise appearances from literally any other Doctor, which we didn't really get unless you count Twelve or the finale (which I don't). Still, The Five(ish) Doctors was a great consolation prize.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

Well a couple of days before it aired, Tom spilled the beans on being in Day... but because Tom is crazy, no one believed him!

Hilarious. Still, I'm glad I went in blind.

mind the walrus posted:

I assumed Four was going to show up because he's, well, Four, but was hoping on surprise appearances from literally any other Doctor, which we didn't really get unless you count Twelve or the finale (which I don't). Still, The Five(ish) Doctors was a great consolation prize.

Given how fast and how far Tom ran away from Who, the only thing that would have surprised me more would have been Eccleston showing up. For real, not just a regeneration image.

Maybe Eccleston'll show up for the 75th or something. :shrug:

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
There was a lot of supposedly leaked stuff about the Classic Doctor's returning - talking paintings being a big one. So when Tom started saying he was actually in Day but Davison and the rest had come clean that they weren't, it was met with cautious chuckles of "well, okay... the Classic Doctor's are clearly out... but what if?"

Who knows?

WHO. KNOWS.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

For anyone who hasn't seen the Five (ish) Doctors, knows about past Doctors and their relation to each other, watch it all on Vimeo. It's a treat.

https://vimeo.com/81726249

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Toxxupation posted:

Orla Brady, who's just Madame Kovarian with a who's just Madame Kovarian, enters the story
So you understand what we mean by "Moffat women" now. They're all like posh women who escaped from 1947(??) and are usually equal parts vain and poisonous.

quote:

But, all of this also means that Eleven gaining more regenerations because he's literally gifted magic Time Lord space dust is, uh...stupid as poo poo.. The resolution felt weak and awkward and made me raise my eyebrows in the moment, even knowing that Plot Shenanigans were gonna give Eleven a way to regenerate anyways.
Time Lord Space Dust was actually established back in The Master three-parter, if not in some random point of the classic show. As we talked about back then, the character was the definition of a Time Lord on his last life, cheating death through all sorts of underhanded ways (including looking like the Crypt Keeper for a few years, and being played once by Eric Roberts.) RTD waved it off with "Time Lords gave me more lives to fight in their war." We all knew it could happen.

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like this should be pointed out again.

I think that's how a lot of people feel about those first four episodes, and how he STILL feels about them.

What's bonkers is this:

Toxxupation posted:

[*] Don't be a giant loving Dr. Who nerd in this thread. I don't care if you insult me, if you say I'm a giant stupid human being bitch for hating the show, but don't post longass tryhard careposts about how I "just don't get it" with a point-by-point refutation that reads like the manifesto of the Asperger's Killer. It's weird and pathetic and me and Oxxidation are gonna mock you for it. Post in this thread with the mentality "Doctor Who is loving stupid, don't treat it as anything besides the stupidest loving thing".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Master is offered new regenerations by the Time Lords back in the Five Doctors.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mortanis posted:

There was a lot of supposedly leaked stuff about the Classic Doctor's returning - talking paintings being a big one. So when Tom started saying he was actually in Day but Davison and the rest had come clean that they weren't, it was met with cautious chuckles of "well, okay... the Classic Doctor's are clearly out... but what if?"

Who knows?

WHO. KNOWS.

The only thing I dislike about Day of the Doctor is that they used all those stock lines for the previous Doctors.

They had an actor who could play the First Doctor, and many if not all of the surviving classic Doctors would have almost certainly contributed a new line or two. During the discussion on the plan imagine if the "...but don't worry, I started a very long time ago" line had been said over a shot of something like the First Doctors console with a blue envelope sitting propped up on it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Considering the Five (ish) Doctors it really doesn't make sense, you're right. 4-8 would have been on-hand to contribute a line or two.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

The only thing I dislike about Day of the Doctor is that they used all those stock lines for the previous Doctors.

They had an actor who could play the First Doctor, and many if not all of the surviving classic Doctors would have almost certainly contributed a new line or two. During the discussion on the plan imagine if the "...but don't worry, I started a very long time ago" line had been said over a shot of something like the First Doctors console with a blue envelope sitting propped up on it.

Yeah, I don't think filming new shots would've worked but they should've recorded new lines, at least from the living actors.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
As I recall, they actually did have someone else record the First Doctor's lines--it wasn't David Bradley, I want to say it was maybe someone Big Finish uses. You can tell because the Doctor's home planet wasn't named as Gallifrey until after Hartnell had left.

Which just raises further questions as to why they didn't get the other Doctors to record lines. They were actually there during filming!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Occ if you're still reading our drivel, I'd just like to share this fan video that appeared a bit before this episode aired. It's a whole bunch of clips from various episodes where the Doctor has either died or (in the case of Eleven) come close to it. It's also set to the Man Of Steel theme and generally owns.

Now that you've seen Tom Baker and McGann, you'll probably recognize Doctors more often than you're comfortable with.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Master is offered new regenerations by the Time Lords back in the Five Doctors.

He was offered them if he was a good boy, but he wasn't, so he was sent away empty-handed at the end.

What happened to the Master between Seven and Eight doesn't have a clear canon even by the ridiculous nerdy TARDIS wiki, but The Sound Of Drums uses the term "resurrection" to explain his recruitment into the Time War. In a recent BBC Book, Rassilon tasks the War Doctor with finding him; but that regeneration obviously has his own agenda.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 26, 2015

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Toxxupation posted:

Ending A is twenty-ish hours

Ending B is about...five to seven?

Endings C and D take about two hours total, the only thing that differentiates both of them is the final choice you make during the final boss battle, just keep a save right outside the final boss' room and you can get both of them 15 minutes apart from each other

other general tips:

1) do every single sidequest besides the one involving pink roses, you'll know it when you see it. the sidequests are basically reverse-RPG sidequests, in that they give pointless and immaterial rewards but are fairly plot crucial and are some absolutely brilliant worldbuilding

2) don't play the game on hard, it just makes the game more tedious over more difficult

3) drop rates are tied to the game's difficulty so whenever you're on a sidequest that involves farming stuff from dudes quit out to the main menu, pump up the difficulty, then go back in and farm until you get what you need, then drop the difficulty again

Considering how time consuming it is to get eagle eggs, I'd say ignore that one as well.
Same with the gardening ones.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Of course Tasha Lem is River. River's always recognizable by her terrible, obvious names. Lem is just Mel spelled backward, and Tasha is the familiar/diminutive form of of a name that means Christmas. Her name is literally Christmas Mel.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Senor Tron posted:

Agree 100% right down to the envelopes. A couple of minutes of work from each would have been worth quite a bit to the fans.

Reminds me - did we ever get a reason as to why there's two Seven's there? I mean, I can imagine that of course it'd be McCoy that'd show up to save the planet twice, but I'm wondering what the real reason was to use two separate bits of footage was. Production gaffe (which would be pretty big, all things considered)?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Squizzle posted:

Of course Tasha Lem is River. River's always recognizable by her terrible, obvious names. Lem is just Mel spelled backward, and Tasha is the familiar/diminutive form of of a name that means Christmas. Her name is literally Christmas Mel.

So what you're saying is River is the new Master?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Squizzle posted:

How would that work though? If Tasha was River she'd need to be a mature version of River, not a pre-Mels version, and River's body was killed in the library.

Sometime between NotD and TotD he'd need to go back to the library and download her into another body. I suppose he might have the knowledge to get some of the Flesh and download her memories into it, then use the TARDIS to stabilize the Flesh form and make her a normal human. Resurrecting her that way would be really weird though, and there would be no reason for her to look different.

It seems more likely she is a different woman.

• Locked thread