Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

If they actually meant something instead of arbitrarily unlocking a boss fight and true ending then sure. But man why is batman running around taking photos of random things for the riddler? Shouldn't he be piecing something together and then half way through just turn the table over on riddler and bust his rear end?

I agree it's nice that there's so many but I don't want to do a hundred turn grate off puzzles to see the boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The second Robin, 'killed' by The Joker (depending on what canon you follow/prefer), who hired a woman to lure him away from Batman by posing as his birth mother. Also depending on the canons in which he survives, he becomes Red Robin, who's basically Huntress with a dick, or a varyingly-unhinged antihero/psychopath/sociopath like we kind of see here.
You mean Red Hood. Tim was rebranded as Red Robin when DC rebooted a few years back.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Sorry, but as someone who's never read a batman comic book in his life, who is Jason Todd?

Jason is best known for a call-in vote DC held in the mid-80s to determine if he lived or died. The Bat-audience voted thumbs down (by not tooooo wide a margin), and so the Joker received his Boy Blunder gamer achievement.

Jason was not well liked as Robin, and even killed a dude by dropping him off a balcony.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 26, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

If they actually meant something instead of arbitrarily unlocking a boss fight and true ending then sure. But man why is batman running around taking photos of random things for the riddler? Shouldn't he be piecing something together and then half way through just turn the table over on riddler and bust his rear end?

That sounds like it would be a really boring video game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CharlestonJew posted:

that fight against the Goliath was really cool, the game needs more double Beatdown-fests

They need to let you do it more in the AR Challenges. I've done the one with Nightwing like 5 times just because it's so great. I know it DEFINITELY won't happen, but it would've been cool to see Batman/Red Hood or Nightwing/Robin too.

TheJoker138 posted:

There's 250-ish, aren't there? I think somewhere between 50-100 is much more reasonable. Especially when most of them are just lovely puzzles that aren't any fun, and a bunch of others are loving photo hunts.

Honestly even 50-100 might be too many because they're all loving terrible. If they were good and fun to get maybe I wouldn't hate them so much.

You sound like someone who is very frustrated being stuck on a particular riddle. There could be less, but I quite enjoyed most of them. They really test your reflexes or your way of thinking. The photo hunt ones are clever most of the time, but still totally dumb. I'll grant you that. Never enjoy clicking Detective Mode forever to get the perfect angle.

Everybody posted:

Jason.

Why not just tell Under the Red Hood? Sure we would've known the twist, but I don't see how that devalues it. We all knew Batman was never in danger of dying in Asylum or City, but still stuck around for the ride.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds like it would be a really boring video game.

As opposed to the thrilling action that the riddles provide in their current state? At least what he suggested would fit the Riddler's actual MO, and would be some actual detecting for Batman to do.

SonicRulez posted:

You sound like someone who is very frustrated being stuck on a particular riddle. There could be less, but I quite enjoyed most of them. They really test your reflexes or your way of thinking. The photo hunt ones are clever most of the time, but still totally dumb. I'll grant you that. Never enjoy clicking Detective Mode forever to get the perfect angle.

Nah, I haven't even started them. I just remember how loving tedious they were in City and shudder at the thought of doing them.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Overheard goon chatter - "My significant other is a human rights lawyer. He thinks I'm on a business trip."

A gay goon, that's pretty neat.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm well into the game and don't see any suit damage... someone said a ton of pages ago that switching up the costumes even once resets the damage. is this true?

On the ps4 if that matters. I'm about to go to wayne tower to try and find a certain someone...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

As opposed to the thrilling action that the riddles provide in their current state?

I would rather have the Riddler trophies than almost any other collectible in a video game. They actually ask you to do something besides go to a place and pick something up. v:shobon:v It's fine if you don't like them but that doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

I don't really get what you think 'actual detecting' would be. In video game terms you have a limited amount of things you can do so 'actual detecting' would be... solving puzzles, pointing out specific things in the environment, figuring out the answers to riddles and possibly collecting items. In other words what you're doing already.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I would rather have the Riddler trophies than almost any other collectible in a video game. They actually ask you to do something besides go to a place and pick something up. v:shobon:v It's fine if you don't like them but that doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

Except for all the ones that have you just got to a place and pick something up, you mean? But if you enjoy doing the same puzzle over and over again, more power to you, I guess.

E: And by detecting I mean something along the lines of the CSI stuff from Origins, but maybe throw in a few instances of the things you're doing already, like you said. Solve some puzzles, find things in the environment, etc. But not 250 times. A Riddler thing as long as just the stuff with Catwoman would have been the sweet spot, in my opinion, but they just have to shove in their Banjo Kazooie-esque collect-a-thon.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I just wish the ones locked behind puzzles were more fun overall. Some of them are neat and fun. Some are boring or frustrating. Some of them will break and require a reload such as the one near the orphanage. The photo challenges waste a lot of time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Perry Normal posted:

Overheard goon chatter - "My significant other is a human rights lawyer. He thinks I'm on a business trip."

A gay goon, that's pretty neat.
I thought that was a neat touch. Good thing you're ready to ruin his relationship by showing up and basically punching all his teeth out. Explain that business trip to your partner!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

Except for all the ones that have you just got to a place and pick something up, you mean? But if you enjoy doing the same puzzle over and over again, more power to you, I guess.

"The same puzzle over and over" isn't an accurate description at all. (And yeah, there are some which are just 'pick this up' and those ones are boring.) There's a fair variety of gadget-based puzzles for example which are not the same puzzle over and over. There are "find this thing in the environment and take a picture of it" puzzles but those are basically as close to detecting as you're going to get in that you're asked to solve an actual riddle and point to the solution.

TheJoker138 posted:

E: And by detecting I mean something along the lines of the CSI stuff from Origins, but maybe throw in a few instances of the things you're doing already, like you said. Solve some puzzles, find things in the environment, etc. But not 250 times. A Riddler thing as long as just the stuff with Catwoman would have been the sweet spot, in my opinion, but they just have to shove in their Banjo Kazooie-esque collect-a-thon.

The "CSI stuff from Origins" is already in the game. Also, again, the number of items in Arkham Knight is fewer than those in Arkham City despite being in a significantly larger area, and it actually ends up making them feel somewhat sparse and far-between at times.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 26, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I haven't seen destructible physics in a game this good since Red Faction Guerilla.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
Is there nowhere to go inside the GCPD to talk to Gordon, Tim, or Scarecrow after finishing the main storyline?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I've enjoyed the hell out of almost everything here, the racing (these apc and firefly chases are not hard What are you on about), the batmobile puzzles, the usual batman stuff, I even like the tank combat. There's just so, so much of it.

ImpAtom posted:

"The same puzzle over and over" isn't an accurate description at all. (And yeah, there are some which are just 'pick this up' and those ones are boring.) There's a fair variety of gadget-based puzzles for example which are not the same puzzle over and over. There are "find this thing in the environment and take a picture of it" puzzles but those are basically as close to detecting as you're going to get in that you're asked to solve an actual riddle and point to the solution.

The "CSI stuff from Origins" is already in the game. Also, again, the number of items in Arkham Knight is fewer than those in Arkham City despite being in a significantly larger area, and it actually ends up making them feel somewhat sparse and far-between at times.

Those games didn't ask you to complete it all to get the proper ending though, which is a pretty significant point to me. Some of the puzzles are also much more elaborate and time consuming with the vehicle switching.

I do enjoy it, but last night I set out to do a bunch of Riddler stuff, did about an hour, then looked at the stats and saw I'd done a whole twenty three. It's going to take forever to do this, and it's just too much given that it's already starting to feel samey.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 26, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The best thing for dealing with tank combat is the drone hack because your hacked drones prevent enemy drones from spawning. It also works on cobras which kicks all sorts of rear end.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
There's something loving wrong with me because I enjoy the tank combat.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don't understand people who say the car handles poorly. Have you never played a racing game? Are you trying to stay in one lane instead of plowing through anything and everything?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

There are a finite number of gadgets in the game, and a finite number of ways they can be used. Just mixing and matching them isn't making new puzzles. It's all the same puzzles that they've been making since Asylum but in slightly different configurations. Some of them exactly so, like ones where all you have to do is freeze a pipe to get to an area. There was a neat one with monkeys in the airship, but then on the other side of the same room was another version of the same exact puzzle. The amount they reuse stuff is ridiculous, especially when it's the third game where they've been doing it, and it stopped being fun sometime about halfway through Asylum.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

JackDarko posted:

I like it for what it is, but I really disliked the Cobra Drone sequences. It's really fun to actually play in, but having a goddamn 60mm-equipped tank in a Batman game goes against a lot of what Batman is about, and I don't know why movie directors and game designers want to put guns on all his poo poo.

EDIT: The rubber bullet gun/cannon is hilarious and works for me. The rest is weird.

Namaste fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 26, 2015

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Hey PS4 master race: is anyone able to see ranks or AR high scores? I've been getting a PSN connection error in game for a day or two. I want to see how I stack up to you dweebs.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

bunky posted:

Hey PS4 master race: is anyone able to see ranks or AR high scores? I've been getting a PSN connection error in game for a day or two. I want to see how I stack up to you dweebs.

I get the same error every time I launch the game, even though I can switch to the store and browse around or play Bloodborne online with no problem.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

JackDarko posted:

There's not much to it, and the game overdoes it by making you go tank mode all the time. All you do is strafe back and forth spraying the vulcan until the 60mm spins back up and you dodge lines and shoot missiles and hit another button to make a special attack every so often.

At least the Cobra tank stuff was kinda interesting, it felt like predator mode with the Batmobile.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It's pretty funny how much they try to keep who the Arkham Knight is a secret. The game actually blocks the stream off for the fight with the Knight. The only other time that I think it does this is the endings.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The best part about the character of Arkham Knight is the first time you run into him you are like "drat who is this cool badass?" Then he starts talking and sounds like a petulant child having a tantrum every single time and its like welp.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

It's pretty funny how much they try to keep who the Arkham Knight is a secret. The game actually blocks the stream off for the fight with the Knight. The only other time that I think it does this is the endings.

That is the most astoundingly stupid thing I've ever heard.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

The best part about the character of Arkham Knight is the first time you run into him you are like "drat who is this cool badass?" Then he starts talking and sounds like a petulant child having a tantrum every single time and its like welp.

I also love that this mastermind's decade long plan to take down the Bat was to just hire as many guns and tanks as possible and then act befuddled when it doesn't work.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

FutonForensic posted:

I also love that this mastermind's decade long plan to take down the Bat was to just hire as many guns and tanks as possible and then act befuddled when it doesn't work.

"Look, we need to separate our force and put them in these areas. No one may go help the other dude. This way, we have total coverage!"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

FutonForensic posted:

Don't forget that he also undersold Batman to all of them. "He has a car, call's it the Batmobile lol. It's a loving stupid name isn't it!"

Batman rolls up in the god damned bat tank.

:stare:

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
What are all the takedowns I need to do for the trophy/achievement? I've done the following: From a grate, from a vent, from a ledge, inverted, fear, corner, from above on a ledge, collapsed wall, through a window, through a window in the ceiling, exploding a gas tank with the hacker, with a drone hacked drone.

What's left to do?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

FutonForensic posted:

Except it does work, only Arkham Knight just doesn't shoot him in the face when he has the chance.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Pwnstar posted:

Most of us who are familiar with the comics went, "It's just loving Jason. This is stupid."

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

J2DK posted:

Most of us who are familiar with the comics went, "It's just loving Jason. This is stupid."

I'm not all the way through but the point seems so far too be "batman denies its Jason" rather than them hiding it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having trouble with missions not starting? I have a couple where I go to the marker but absolutely nothing happens except the marker disappears, only to reappear when I get 10m or more away. So far it's happening on the second serial killer mission and second Azrael mission and a restart hasn't fixed it. PS4 copy.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Bown posted:

Anyone else having trouble with missions not starting? I have a couple where I go to the marker but absolutely nothing happens except the marker disappears, only to reappear when I get 10m or more away. So far it's happening on the second serial killer mission and second Azrael mission and a restart hasn't fixed it. PS4 copy.

Sometimes, if you're headed to a marker for "intel" you won't actually get to start the mission when you head to it. You'll have to look around; for the burning Bat symbol if it's Az, for the opera music for that guy, for a tower or an APC or whatever. Then, after you actually find what you're looking for, the actual mission starter will be available

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah his identity is pretty obvious the first time he's like "WELL I KNOW YOU AND I'M BETTER AND I'M GONNA GET YA BECAUSE YOU'RE OLD AND STUPID AND I HATE YOU"

The helmet is cool though. Could prove a decent alternative to the eternal question of "How the hell do you make the Batman Beyond suit work in detailed artwork?"

I really wonder what Rocksteady's next project will be. I think they pretty clearly have what it takes to do an original IP, but as a publisher-owned studio the pressure might be on them hardcore to adapt a pre-existing IP with a built-in audience. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up having to do a Batman game again in a Kojima-esque fashion.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Anyone knows how to put the batmobile on top of the drill in the arkham knight hideout? the drill is all the way down and the batmobile is stuck down there.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
I need to hurry up and beat this loving game; you guys are getting lax on the spoilers.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Do you have to use the Batmobile to chase down Firefly? I've tried twice now, and I lose sight of him almost instantly, smash the Batmobile into every wall trying to follow the line leading to him, and then lose track of him entirely. And then, adding insult to injury, I cant even try again without waiting 5 minutes for the quest to turn back on and then flying randomly around Gotham to find another smoke trail.

I have been enjoying most of this game on PC despite the graphical issues, but good god was the Batmobile a huge misstep. I haven't played a GTA title since Vice City because I just cannot stand this sort of gameplay. I love the combat, the predator rooms, the puzzles, the flying, virtually everything else, but I don't know why on earth they thought making a third of the game car chases or tank battles fit in with what fans expect from an Arkham game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Why are people so bad at driving lol. It's actually hard to lose your tail on Firefly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

blackguy32 posted:

Except it does work, only Arkham Knight just doesn't shoot him in the face when he has the chance.

He was going to. Scarecrow just stopped him and turned off his gun when he first planned to do so. Because he wants to make him suffer.

• Locked thread