Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

apatite posted:

If you poo poo in an outhouse there might be spiders but if you're making GBS threads in a bucket of sawdust in the winter time there probably won't be any spiders. You probably don't want to go full on hippy-wilderness-immersion if you are scared of spiders or any bugs at all, a more normal lifestyle but still in the woods would probably be preferred.

I saw a 2 inch wide wolf spider chilling out on the fender of one of my broken down trucks in my yard while working on the other one right next to it. Sure was a cute little guy, he'll get bigger. And that means he ate a bunch of mosquitoes so get to it buddy, start growing.

It's only when they get to like 3 or 4 inches and are in my shower that I get somewhat unhappy about their presence. That was rather startling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I try and nurture the presence of Harvestmen when they find a way into my abode somehow. They eat all the other bugs, including unpleasant spiders, and are adorably gregarious by nature. :3:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Rime posted:

I try and nurture the presence of Harvestmen when they find a way into my abode somehow. They eat all the other bugs, including unpleasant spiders, and are adorably gregarious by nature. :3:

Harvestmen are the best. They chill out in my borage flowers, don't bother my bees, and keep uppity centipedes down under the leaf litter where they belong.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Last night I had a not-unattractive complete stranger doctor lady digging in my groin area with scalpals and needles to get out the pieces of deer-tick mouth that didn't come out when I removed it... Spiders are super awesome compared to loving ticks and I would rather sleep in a giant pile of spiders like that Harry Potter movie than have to deal with so many ticks all the time.

There are a couple of spiders that have been living in our house with us for over a year, they don't bother anybody they just eat bugs. All hail the spider king!

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 16, 2016

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

apatite posted:

There are a couple of spiders that have been living in our house with us for over a year, they don't bother anybody they just eat bugs. All hail the spider king!

You mean dogs. :colbert:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693793

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Yeah, right sorry, :airquote: dogs :airquote:

Faerunner this crappy pic was specifically taken for you while I was walking by and remembered to grab a pic

The rest are just some pics

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

There are treatment programs available for ramp mainlining.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

apatite posted:

This can be arranged still if you are serious
I tried to PM you but you can't accept them :(

My stepfather used to tap trees in his youth but we're living down in VA and it'd be nice to give him some as a gift on father's day and tell him the story of a guy I sort of know on the internet. I can paypal, if that's easiest for you.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If you guys are serious and OP doesn't want to be bothered, my In-Laws made about 1500 gallons this year. I can do video of them doing the process, pictures, whatever... A gallon is $42 locally, and a bit more shipped. They ship all over the US anyway.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

apatite posted:

Faerunner this crappy pic was specifically taken for you while I was walking by and remembered to grab a pic

<3

Yeah, I'm jealous. Mine doesn't compare. :(

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Get some guinea fowl. They're dumb as rocks but ticks are their favorite food and you'll get delicious guinea eggs out of the bargain. That's how I cleared up my tick problem. I went from pulling 2 to 3 ticks off of the 3 dogs and cat per day to no ticks seen at all ever in about a months time. After I got them, they were on those ticks so fast that there were almost no ticks at all after just a week. They completely cleaned out my 5 acre property and then started flying over the fence and working on the neighbors' places too. Greedy, tick devouring retarded birds.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Are they the ones that are loud as gently caress though?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haji posted:

Get some guinea fowl. They're dumb as rocks but ticks are their favorite food

I parsed this sentence wrong and originally thought you were just suggesting using guinea fowl as a lightning rod for the ticks :v:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Motronic posted:

There are treatment programs available for ramp mainlining.

Hey man, I can stop like... Any time I want, I just don't want to right now OK? It is not like my work performance is dropping or anything and nobody even knows

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 16, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

apatite posted:

:dance: 1500gal is awesome, do you have any pics of their setup?

Just a couple from 2 years ago. They have a sugarhouse with a full kitchen and bunk beds for hunters on the other side.

I don't know how my FIL feels about having his face on the internet, so have a black box instead.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Their boiler is indoors? They must have some amazing ventilation to keep the place from getting sopping wet from all the steam.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah, see those two dials above the boiler? Those are two massive vent fans that suck it all out the chimney-thing.

I don't know too many sugarhouses that boil outside. None, other than Apatite actually.

Edit: This isn't my in laws, but this is how all of them are set up that I know of.

The long left side of the building is stacked floor to ceiling with wood for most of it's length, then the boiler so you can just grab wood from behind you and chuck it into the opening without moving more than a few steps. The vents and whatnot are dead center and vent out the roof like the image. The milktruck that rolled over and was bought by the farmer is usually out back behind the sugarhouse to store the sap.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 14, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Their boiler is indoors? They must have some amazing ventilation to keep the place from getting sopping wet from all the steam.

That is a steam hood you can see just above it, for just that reason. Almost nobody but super small hobby producers boil outside :)

Thanks for the pics Spermy Smurf!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Prepare to have your mind blown.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Guineas are loud as gently caress, dumb as rocks and they do roost extremely high in trees at night if you let them.

I had mine trained to go into the chicken coop at night. They're really amazingly dumb. We got into this pattern in which they would fly over my fence and then at night most of them would successfully get back into the coop except for one which would run back and forth next to the fence yelling because it was "trapped" and couldn't remember it could just fly over the fence. So I would go forth and herd the retarded bird back in through the gate and as soon as it cleared the gate it would run as fast as possible towards the coop singing it's terrible song of joy. When one of them started roosting next to the coop, I would go out after sunset and pluck the retarded thing out of the tree and throw it into the coop. It would seriously roost at head level to me. The only difficult part of this procedure was avoiding getting smacked in the face with a wing.

For winters, I would suggest a small enclosed shed with lots of birds. They will keep each other warm. Especially if the shed is insulated. And you'll want something completely enclosed for nighttime flock safety anyway. Just let them out in the morning and run around and free range and then when the sun starts to go down, stand outside the shed door shaking a small scoop of food for them and call them home. When you get them all attracted in, toss the scoop of food into the shed then shut and lock the door. Presto!

I hear they are incredibly tasty. I haven't eaten any myself, but their eggs are SO freaking good that I wouldn't be surprised in the least. I imagine that they taste really gamey. More like pheasant or something and less like chicken.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

You should have eaten the dumb one.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Haji posted:

Guineas are loud as gently caress, dumb as rocks and they do roost extremely high in trees at night if you let them.

I had mine trained to go into the chicken coop at night. They're really amazingly dumb. We got into this pattern in which they would fly over my fence and then at night most of them would successfully get back into the coop except for one which would run back and forth next to the fence yelling because it was "trapped" and couldn't remember it could just fly over the fence. So I would go forth and herd the retarded bird back in through the gate and as soon as it cleared the gate it would run as fast as possible towards the coop singing it's terrible song of joy. When one of them started roosting next to the coop, I would go out after sunset and pluck the retarded thing out of the tree and throw it into the coop. It would seriously roost at head level to me. The only difficult part of this procedure was avoiding getting smacked in the face with a wing.

For winters, I would suggest a small enclosed shed with lots of birds. They will keep each other warm. Especially if the shed is insulated. And you'll want something completely enclosed for nighttime flock safety anyway. Just let them out in the morning and run around and free range and then when the sun starts to go down, stand outside the shed door shaking a small scoop of food for them and call them home. When you get them all attracted in, toss the scoop of food into the shed then shut and lock the door. Presto!

I hear they are incredibly tasty. I haven't eaten any myself, but their eggs are SO freaking good that I wouldn't be surprised in the least. I imagine that they taste really gamey. More like pheasant or something and less like chicken.

Are chickens also this dumb? I want guineas now. And bees, lots of bees.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Chickens are not nearly as dumb and guinea fowl. Chickens are mensa material in comparison to guinea fowl. Guinea fowl are just so amazingly retarded there just isn't any way to explain the dumb.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
My chickens are smart. One of them enjoys following me around because she knows if she looks hopeful and trails after me for long enough I will give in and produce delicious mealworm treats or grapes for her.

They seem to understand the boundaries of our yard and don't leave it to go wandering down the street even though I have no fence (but I am also supervising them closely when they are outside to ensure no one gets any bright ideas about the neighbor's lawn). They also know what "time to go home!" means and will file back toward the coop when I say it. I haven't managed to teach them any tricks yet, though. In general chickens are not the brightest critters and will view new objects in their world with extreme suspicion and prejudice, but this is funny. This chickspicion is extended to new foods, perches, animals or toys. They do however learn what tastes good very quickly by watching their more adventurous flockmates peck it first, and then stealing it. You should definitely get chickens. :henget:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

apatite posted:

Syrupers--- I have three (3) 12oz bottles that have a tiny tiny tiny bit of niter (sugar sand) in the bottom, this is Medium Amber syrup and was the first batch we bottled this year, I squeezed the filter at the end which was dumb and so some niter came through in the bottles. There are probably also 2-3 pint canning jars (16oz) left that are not part of our personal stash. I would be willing to sell these after I figure out how to change my paypal address to something that is not my full name. One of them I would probably trade for the right av because this GARBAGE DICK stuff is getting old. Let me get back to you on total amount available.

To clarify I did not sell the rest of it in bulk, it was all bottled in half

What do you use potassium nitrate for when making the syrup??

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

goodness posted:

What do you use potassium nitrate for when making the syrup??

haha holy poo poo, I just googled only the word "niter" trying to figure out what you were talking about.

No potassium nitrate---- "niter" or "sugar sand" is just what people call the stuff that forms in syrup when you heat it, this is the reason that it needs to be filtered really well before bottling. It is basically minerals/sediment

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

We are moving up in the world. 3.2 ft^3 electric fridge/freezer and pure sine wave inverter.

Now I can ditch that stupid giant 1950s propane Servel fridge that takes up as much space as a 275gal water tank and uses more propane than our kitchen stove/oven and water heater combined. It doesn't even have much space in it for food, it's just gigantic.

:boom:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

apatite posted:

We are moving up in the world. 3.2 ft^3 electric fridge/freezer and pure sine wave inverter.

Now I can ditch that stupid giant 1950s propane Servel fridge that takes up as much space as a 275gal water tank and uses more propane than our kitchen stove/oven and water heater combined. It doesn't even have much space in it for food, it's just gigantic.

:boom:

Very nice. I went the opposite route. I live with about 7 people in a slum and we just picked up a mini-fridge to host our drinks, since I'm not drinking warm beer and there's no room in the regular fridge. :(

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

We broke the cardinal rule of living in the middle of the loving woods, yesterday.

Grilled some meat outside after dark, left a cooler of food on the porch. Black bear found it in the night and wrecked some poo poo up, including flipping generator right off the porch. Basically it went all "hulk-smash" on my poo poo and now we've accidentally taught it that it can come wreck our stuff and potentially find a single hotdog and a thing of mustard

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
At least you can stock the cooler with the bear next time he shows up.

Win-Win. Sacrificing a hotdog and mustard for 150 pounds of meat is a fair trade.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

At least you can stock the cooler with the bear next time he shows up.

Win-Win. Sacrificing a hotdog and mustard for 150 pounds of meat is a fair trade.

Yeah this sounds like a prime opportunity to stock up on some bear burgers.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Another vote for eating the bear. You absolutely cannot be a crazy forest hermit without a rifle.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Really we just need to not be dumb n00bs that leave foot outside overnight after -cooking delicious meats in the open air-

apatite fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 16, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I post this video anywhere I can possibly vaguely excuse it as sort of on-topic. So for this thread: here's how you get rid of a bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
As a bonus when it comes back and you shoot it, it will be pre-seasoned.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What state do you live in where you wont be allowed to get a nuisance permit with a single phonecall to the game warden?

My father in laws last call went like this: "Hey. Got a fuckin moose takin' down mah fences. K. Thanks. *hangs up and looks at me* Ever shot a moose?"

Alternatively take the South Park approach. It's coming right for us!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Spermy Smurf posted:

What state do you live in where you wont be allowed to get a nuisance permit with a single phonecall to the game warden?

My father in laws last call went like this: "Hey. Got a fuckin moose takin' down mah fences. K. Thanks. *hangs up and looks at me* Ever shot a moose?"

Alternatively take the South Park approach. It's coming right for us!

New York, if I remember correctly. So, no. He's not getting a nuisance permit with just a phonecall.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I have a bone-ologist question. We're stumped.

NE quadrant of Oklahoma.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

joat mon posted:

I have a bone-ologist question. We're stumped.

NE quadrant of Oklahoma.

Teeth says it's a rodent of some kind. Maybe a mole or a gopher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
A brief googling and the size suggest probably a hare or rabbit of some sort to me. Definitely not a mole, they're much smaller and have loving terrifying teeth.

• Locked thread