Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Speaking of Buffy, what was going on with them having her character appearing from behind a whole bunch? Like, why did they keep bringing the character on if they clearly didn't have SMG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Moriatti posted:

Speaking of Buffy, what was going on with them having her character appearing from behind a whole bunch? Like, why did they keep bringing the character on if they clearly didn't have SMG?

You mean in one episode?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It's a gag in The Girl in Question, but also used earlier in the season, I think in Soul Purpose. They also use dialouge clips of her from the show? It struck me as really weird.

EDIT: It's like "hey remember this character? We can't actually bring her in, but she looks kind of like this from behind I guess?"

EDIT 2: Also, Andrew's speech in Damage felt like a Buffy speech to me, but a lot of characters do that, so it's less glaring then Soul Purpose.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 23, 2015

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, over the course of the day I've come to accept the ending as it is. I think I just really enjoyed that universe? Especially after season 5, that almost made up for season 4's... Season 4ness.

But you're saying the comics are bad then? Fair enough.

What did you think of season 4?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

hope and vaseline posted:

Actually I'm kind of curious, since Angel is now on Dark Horse, do the current Buffy comics acknowledge any of After the Fall as happening?

The After the Fall comics are Canon, and actually led to the biggest status quo change in Season Eight. The comics after that aren't.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

redshirt posted:

What did you think of season 4?

I think it had some neat moments, but was overall surrounded by having 2 different love triangles run at once, one of which had intentional oedipal themes, and was even more uncomfortable because of it. Also, it was the worst with Buffy/Angel's problems of no one talking to each other so now they all hate each other. I quite liked the Jasmine arc though, and although Evil Cordelia seemed weird and awkwardly handled, it was kind of fun to have an evil character they could show us when things went wrong.

It wasn't the worst season of anything I've ever watched, but I did consider droping the show during it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The best thing about the comics is that Nicholas Brendon is like the only cast member who even read them.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bicyclops posted:

The best thing about the comics is that Nicholas Brendon is like the only cast member who even reads them.

No wonder he's still got a drink problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

The best thing about the comics is that Nicholas Brendon is like the only cast member who even read them.

James Marsters had input on several Spike related stories. We got him to sign a Spike trade at WizardWorld and he asked if we liked the direction IDW took with them. Proving once again that Spike is the best Buffy/Angel character ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've only read Season 8 and After the Fall. The first half of Season 8 is sort of okay, though there's a lot of stuff that came off as a bit pandering (they go to Japan to fight Japanese vampires who have a giant robotic version of Dawn, which fights regular Dawn, who has been turned into a giant by a magic STD), and there's one story arc by Brian K. Vaughan with Faith and Giles that I thought was very good. However, at the midway point, Jane Espenson starts writing, and it becomes well naff.

You have a much larger canvas with comics than you do with television; they were able to target much larger-scale storytelling in the comic than was feasible on TV but a lot of the time, it's just too far removed from the series, and it ends up feeling less like a Buffy comic and more like a comic with Buffy characters in it. It doesn't always feel like the same universe.

As for After the Fall, it has a cool idea, but the art is pretty inconsistent and I don't think it's really all too coherent taken as a whole. Never read any of the subsequent stuff, though what I've heard isn't exactly favourable.

I've not really been bothered with Buffy comics since, though I've heard that Seasons 9-10 and Angel & Faith are meant to be good (probably because they have actual comic book writers doing them).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Season 8 is dogshit. As is most of 9. Season 10 is better if only for the Buffy/Giles moment early in the series.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moriatti posted:

I think it had some neat moments, but was overall surrounded by having 2 different love triangles run at once, one of which had intentional oedipal themes, and was even more uncomfortable because of it. Also, it was the worst with Buffy/Angel's problems of no one talking to each other so now they all hate each other. I quite liked the Jasmine arc though, and although Evil Cordelia seemed weird and awkwardly handled, it was kind of fun to have an evil character they could show us when things went wrong.

It wasn't the worst season of anything I've ever watched, but I did consider droping the show during it.

I started watching Angel at the end of Season 3 as it aired so Season 4 was just a thrill ride for me, as I had no real idea who any of these characters were and just had to roll with the story. Like the Beast was awesome and the first couple of Jasmine episodes were so weird it just threw me.

I then bought all the DVD's for Angel and Buffy so I got the backstory. I recently re-watched all of of Angel and I was surprised how much Cordelia's Season 4 heel turn bummed me out, as she had become my favorite character. But the heel turn makes sense as part of her larger story, I guess (she's being used the whole time by one side or the other). Still, season 4 followed by no Cordelia in Season 5 save the one episode was a real bummer. Cordelia was a core part of the show and casting her off in such a fashion feels cheap.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am not the biggest fan of Cordelia as a character or Charisma Carpenter as an actor but it really does seem like what happened in seasons 4 and 5 of Angel were a punishment for Capenter's pregnancy, and that is severely hosed up.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Amazingly enough Bound (2015) does not improve when viewed at blu ray resolution.

Will provide update upon 4k release. Fingers crossed!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Adam Baldwin continues to be a huge oval office.

http://www.avclub.com/article/adam-...eview:1:Default

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

"continues"? What else has he said/done? I mean those tweets are enough in themselves but I'm not aware of other stuff he's done that's lovely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

double nine posted:

"continues"? What else has he said/done? I mean those tweets are enough in themselves but I'm not aware of other stuff he's done that's lovely.

We've known he's been a huge oval office since Firefly, do you not read this thread? It comes up from time to time as well as how Joss takes great pleasure in tormenting him.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think his main crime was being a huge outspoken George W Bush supporter and thereby an Iraq War enthusiast while living in Hollywood. Where he is instead supposed to be a passionate Democrat and continue to silently push the massive tax on the poor/millionaire's welfare that is the residuals system and Hollywood's limitless copyright extensions. And he pissed off that really snippy ex-NFL kicker on twitter.

I don't recall him tangibly doing something that makes him an awful person.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're both right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I never said he was an awful person, I said he was a huge oval office.

There's a difference.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
He was the one who named that misogynist gamer movement that shall not be named (please don't discuss that here) and no joke, is even more of a Republican nut than his character on Chuck.

So... what's Joss doing now that he isn't a key figure in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I never said he was an awful person, I said he was a huge oval office.

There's a difference.
Not that I want to stick up for Baldwin but using gendered insults makes you an awful person

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Women can be dicks and cockheads... we're past it being gendered.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rocksicles posted:

Women can be dicks and cockheads... we're past it being gendered.

This.

bowmore posted:

Not that I want to stick up for Baldwin but using gendered insults makes you an awful person

Don't be a dick.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

This.

Don't be a dick.
Nah, you are being the dick.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

And aren't we also through the looking glass to where it was actually bowmore who committed the faux pas for excluding people by soley equating oval office-havery with just one gender?

Argue posted:

He was the one who named that misogynist gamer movement that shall not be named (please don't discuss that here)
Just to be clear we are also talking about the movement that is fine with women but hates the nepotistic enthusiast press for pushing facile poo poo like Gone Home as Game Of The Year and having the staff of Polygon use the exact language of 90's Think of The Children religious right game-ban crusaders against their hobby?

I'm not emotionally attached to the issue but you just tried to pull off one lovely drive-by and declare yourself home free in the same savlo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bowmore posted:

Nah, you are being the dick.

That is a gendered insult good sir.

shadow puppet of a posted:

And aren't we also through the looking glass to where it was actually bowmore who committed the faux pas for excluding people by soley equating oval office-havery with just one gender?

Oh snap.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just to be clear we are also talking about the movement that is fine with women but hates the nepotistic enthusiast press for pushing facile poo poo like Gone Home as Game Of The Year and having the staff of Polygon use the exact language of 90's Think of The Children religious right game-ban crusaders against their hobby?

I'm not emotionally attached to the issue but you just tried to pull off one lovely drive-by and declare yourself home free in the same savlo.

You sound pretty emotionally attached. I don't think that's a bad thing, but you also seem really invested in that "notice I'm an oppressed minority in this particular crowd" way and it's not endearing.

Argue posted:

So... what's Joss doing now that he isn't a key figure in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

I imagine a nice long vacation with what was hopefully a ton of money that he got paid for The Avengers. Hopefully he doesn't sit too long, if he times this right he'll have his pick of whatever geek property he could want.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

mind the walrus posted:

You sound pretty emotionally attached. I don't think that's a bad thing, but you also seem really invested in that "notice I'm an oppressed minority in this particular crowd" way and it's not endearing.
The only things I genuinely care about is hating the Xbox One, hating Bajorans and hating game writer Patrick Klepek for years prior to that misogyny movement.

I'm a fat white 30+ goon, I'm in no way a minority to anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The only things I genuinely care about is hating the Xbox One, hating Bajorans and hating game writer Patrick Klepek for years prior to that misogyny movement.

I'm a fat white 30+ goon, I'm in no way a minority to anything.

My love of Major Kira means we are now blood enemies.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Rhyno posted:

My love of Major Kira means we are now blood enemies.

As far as it can be said, I classify her as "One of the good ones." I'm convinced she only tolerated her own people to get in Vedic Bareil's robes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Vedic Bareil's robes.

"Shaolin Rapist" is my troll handle.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Every time Nicholas Brendon does something embarrassingly self-destructive and disheartening, I think, "Well, at least he's not Adam Baldwin."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Every time Nicholas Brendon does something embarrassingly self-destructive and disheartening, I think, "Well, at least he's not Adam Baldwin."

Every time I see Brendon in the news for being a public drunk I'm like "It must be Tuesday."

But seriously, he tried real hard to get a gig on Agents of SHIELD and it's no wonder why Joss never called him back is it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I didn't know about Agents of SHIELD. That's really sad. Dude is talented enough to be worth a drat if he can keep his act together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

I didn't know about Agents of SHIELD. That's really sad. Dude is talented enough to be worth a drat if he can keep his act together.

We've met him about 8 times now (because his career is in such a shambles that he does cons to get by) and it was the saddest story. One summer he talks mad poo poo about Joss, the next he has endless respect and admiration for him. You have to wonder what kind of meds he's on or off that triggers his fits.

Edit: It's even sadder when he talks about how Xander is basically turned into a Nick Fury-ish character in the Buffy Season 8 comics and how badly he wanted to be a part of the MCU.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Edit: It's even sadder when he talks about how Xander is basically turned into a Nick Fury-ish character in the Buffy Season 8 comics and how badly he wanted to be a part of the MCU.

Worst of all I think I know the character he'd have been angling to play on Agents and if he was on his game he'd have been perfect for the part.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
who?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That Grant Ward guy. Granted I checked out of Agents of Shield before that big turn, so I don't know how the actor is doing now, but like all the actors on the first season of Agents he was so stiff and unlikable. I think Brendon would have brought some much needed personality to the "stiff soldier" routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

mind the walrus posted:

That Grant Ward guy. Granted I checked out of Agents of Shield before that big turn, so I don't know how the actor is doing now, but like all the actors on the first season of Agents he was so stiff and unlikable. I think Brendon would have brought some much needed personality to the "stiff soldier" routine.

I doubt he could play the batshit insane ward we have now. I also think that he would be too old for the role as Ward as he was written.

• Locked thread