Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

SectumSempra posted:

Sure ok then. Someone needs to adjust their free time trying to do easy sidemissions to gain skills as opposed to tackling the 200+ riddler trophies. :downs:

yes you do - i've got skill points for days just playing the more engaging sidemissions rather than hunting down 10-20 instances of the most trivially easy, boring sidequest in the game. apart from the riddler tropihes obviously, but I guess even those require some lateral thinking that's more engaging than the fireman mission.

you're basically level grinding. in a loving batman game. stop ruining batman for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Generic Monk posted:

yes you do - i've got skill points for days just playing the more engaging sidemissions rather than hunting down 10-20 instances of the most trivially easy, boring sidequest in the game. apart from the riddler tropihes obviously, but I guess even those require some lateral thinking that's more engaging than the fireman mission.

you're basically level grinding. in a loving batman game. stop ruining batman for yourself.

I think the bigger joke is he was doing it before even opening all of the islands :psyduck:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Funky Valentine posted:

AzBats, Final Form: Peak 90s Comic Book Design

You know I actually liked this costume in Arkham Origins. It 90s as gently caress, but looks great in game.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I did not know you couldn't get hit in the azrael sections. I guess that explains why it happens in the ar challenge. I thought it was weird that untouchable and the combo one are basically the same except for playing azrael vs playing batman.

Anyway. One of my favorite gadgets in this game is the disruptor because it gives you so much utility. Combat or predator. Because there is usually more than 4 things so you can be like, do I want to invalidate these medics? Or stun stick? Disable guns? Blow up guns? Prevent more guns from entering play? The answer is always medics. But it's nice to have options. It really nails the prep time master aspect of batman.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Generic Monk posted:

can someone explain to me who azrael is, why i've never heard of him before in my life, and why this assassins creed looking mother fucker is in my batman game + looking to succeed batman???????? this guy??????????????? seriously?????????????????????
The Azrael made famous by Knightfall (the one in the hella-sweet 90s tech costume seen above, named Jean-Paul Valley) is not this Azrael. They share nothing but a codename. This guy in the Arkham games is a former cop named Michael Lane, who is a member of the same pseduo-religious Order of St. Dumas that '90s Azrael was. I'm pretty sure he has a character bio page in Arkham City, too, that would fill in some blanks.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Rirse posted:

You know I actually liked this costume in Arkham Origins. It 90s as gently caress, but looks great in game.

this looks absolutely loving mental - is there more stuff like this in origins rather than the 100% grey buildings overlaid with grey particle effects that the trailers seemed to show? might play it if that's the case (though it could be difficult; I remember it looking like garbage even compared to City, and Knight is a whole other level)

redbackground posted:

The Azrael made famous by Knightfall (the one in the hella-sweet 90s tech costume seen above, named Jean-Paul Valley) is not this Azrael. They share nothing but a codename. This guy in the Arkham games is a former cop named Michael Lane, who is a member of the same pseduo-religious Order of St. Dumas that '90s Azrael was. I'm pretty sure he has a character bio page in Arkham City, too, that would fill in some blanks.

does it lean on the supernatural poo poo much? I love batman as I've experienced it through the movies and the animated series, neither of which incorporated much supernatural stuff (I haven't seen all of TAS but it didn't have much of that in from what I remember)

actually maybe 'supernatural' isn't the right word - I mean comic book ridiculous poo poo that takes itself far too seriously. poo poo like the 'lazarus pit' in batman: under the red hood that just seems weird and incongruous with the setting. I guess I can suspend my disbelief for Mutant Man Bat Creature and Evil Plant Lady but not BIG GREEN FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 29, 2015

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Oh yeah, how the hell do i get that riddle in the old cinema where you have to scan a cell. Something about father figure and i assumed it's something to do with Robin in the cell, but i just keep getting subject obscured.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is nothing as fun as that outfit in Arkham Origins except maybe the Deathstroke boss.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

this looks absolutely loving mental - is there more stuff like this in origins rather than the 100% grey buildings overlaid with grey particle effects that the trailers seemed to show? might play it if that's the case (though it could be difficult; I remember it looking like garbage even compared to City and Knight is a whole other level)

Origins isn't bad really, but the way you unlock stuff through the challenges that many times only have a single place you can do them in until NG+ is literally the worst.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Generic Monk posted:

this looks absolutely loving mental - is there more stuff like this in origins rather than the 100% grey buildings overlaid with grey particle effects that the trailers seemed to show? might play it if that's the case (though it could be difficult; I remember it looking like garbage even compared to City and Knight is a whole other level)
It's just a PS4 exclusive skin. It has no bearing on the actual game.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

Oh yeah, how the hell do i get that riddle in the old cinema where you have to scan a cell. Something about father figure and i assumed it's something to do with Robin in the cell, but i just keep getting subject obscured.

If Robin is in the cell, keep playing the story. I don't think you can get it until a certain thing happens in the plot, but you are on the right track that it is somewhere around that cell

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, something to do with a staff? You can't do it until later.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kin posted:

Not sure about before, but in the post game there's a broken stave with some batarangs on it in front of that cell.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Not sure about before, but in the post game there's a broken stave with some batarangs on it in front of that cell.

It'll show up there as soon as Scarecrow kidnaps Robin, which is still during the main game.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

redbackground posted:

It's just a PS4 exclusive skin. It has no bearing on the actual game.

:(

origins just seems to be kind of dull and populated with the loving b-tier of batman villains that no one who hasn't read the comics has ever heard of (because they're Not Very Good)
black mask - goofy mafia boss
deadshot - shootmans
deathstroke - shootmans(?????)
firefly - burnmans

apart from joker obviously, other than that there's no real draw to it, at least for me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does game difficulty have any bearing on the apc chases? most of the time they're ok but once in a while i get snagged on something and i never see the loving thing again for like 10 minutes of chasing until i fail and have to wait to retry. I'm hoping i can make their AI stupid by going to easy mode.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's actually why I was excited for it, because B-List Batman villain shenanigans for a side game while waiting for Rocksteady sounded fantastic and then it turned out to be not that and my favorite mafioso in Batman got shat on hard because they needed a plot twist.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Deathstroke is also in Knight though so. He's not a great boss battle at all though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Generic Monk posted:

does it lean on the supernatural poo poo much? I love batman as I've experienced it through the movies and the animated series, neither of which incorporated much supernatural stuff (I haven't seen all of TAS but it didn't have much of that in from what I remember)

The Azrael material in this game is meant to sound supernatural, but has no actual magic involved. I suspect that, based on the later sidequest, the League is actually behind the Order of St Dumas, which would not be a first, but which would fit the whole "human puppets/manipulation across the centuries/purify the earth"schtick.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

origins just seems to be kind of dull and populated with the loving b-tier of batman villains that no one who hasn't read the comics has ever heard of (because they're Not Very Good)
deadshot - shootmans
firefly - burnmans

apart from joker obviously, other than that there's no real draw to it, at least for me

Deathstroke was the villain of one of DC's most popular and long-running cartoon shows and also regularly appeared in other DC material. As far as obscure goes he's not really more than any other non-Joker villain.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I have no idea if this is possible, but if I follow Riddler's missions through to the end without getting every loving trophy, will I get the bad Riddler ending or something? Should I hold off on the last few missions in case I go insane and decide to catch 'em all?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

iGestalt posted:

There is a very solid Audiobook called 'Batman: Knightfall' on youtube that is about the first Azrael. It's worth a listen if you want more batman and Azrael backstory.

Edit: Probably best to use the search term "Audiobook Youtube Batman: Knightfall" as if you just search youtube for "Knightfall" you may get Arkham Knight spoilers.

I assume this is probably the BBC radio play. They actually did a couple of Batman and Superman stories in that format. The Batman stuff is pretty neat because they got Michael Gough to be Alfred in them, and the dude playing Batman has a pretty unique take on the voice, going off the idea that the Wayne's are old-money.

The Superman ones are neat too, but you have to deal with some of the goofiness from the comic stories being adapted that might otherwise have been dropped (like Lex Luthor being Australian).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Steve2911 posted:

I have no idea if this is possible, but if I follow Riddler's missions through to the end without getting every loving trophy, will I get the bad Riddler ending or something? Should I hold off on the last few missions in case I go insane and decide to catch 'em all?

Once you do all of riddler's challenges he'll tell you to get the trophies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kin posted:

How do i get back into the sewers (under construction) on founders island? I've gone into the lift and charged it up with the batmobile but nothing happens.

Turn the Batmobile. It doesn't go straight in, it goes in sideways.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Steve2911 posted:

He just hides out like a baby until you find the rest of them, which is fine. Nothing bad happens.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

That's actually why I was excited for it, because B-List Batman villain shenanigans for a side game while waiting for Rocksteady sounded fantastic and then it turned out to be not that and my favorite mafioso in Batman got shat on hard because they needed a plot twist.

Batman with the classic villains was basically my childhood and I never really read the comics, so when the newer villains pop up I'm kind of predisposed against them for little good reason.

Interesting to hear that black mask got shat on for the sake of a plot twist; the same thing happened in the red hood film I remember seeing. Crown for directly transplanting a plot twist from that obviously goes to Knight though. I wonder what the thought process behind the 'character' of arkham knight was - no one who's just played the games or watched the movies is going to know who jason todd is, and anyone who's even passingly familiar with the less popular Batman works is going to call it instantly. It says a lot about how bad your twist is when the worst instincts of comic book fans, that is to predict a character that looks superficially similar to another is going to have the exact same plot twists, are right on the money. probably wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try and build up the intrigue in the marketing

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

I assume this is probably the BBC radio play. They actually did a couple of Batman and Superman stories in that format. The Batman stuff is pretty neat because they got Michael Gough to be Alfred in them, and the dude playing Batman has a pretty unique take on the voice, going off the idea that the Wayne's are old-money.

The Superman ones are neat too, but you have to deal with some of the goofiness from the comic stories being adapted that might otherwise have been dropped (like Lex Luthor being Australian).

I'm not sure - I don't think they are BBC. They are really good and up on Youtube, unabridged, though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Deathstroke was the villain of one of DC's most popular and long-running cartoon shows and also regularly appeared in other DC material. As far as obscure goes he's not really more than any other non-Joker villain.

if you think he's as iconic as two face, poison ivy, mr freeze, catwoman etc you're out of your mind. i don't even know (remember? i can't remember whether he was in city or not) what he looks like.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Generic Monk posted:

Batman with the classic villains was basically my childhood and I never really read the comics, so when the newer villains pop up I'm kind of predisposed against them for little good reason.

Interesting to hear that black mask got shat on for the sake of a plot twist; the same thing happened in the red hood film I remember seeing. Crown for directly transplanting a plot twist from that obviously goes to Knight though. I wonder what the thought process behind the 'character' of arkham knight was - no one who's just played the games or watched the movies is going to know who jason todd is, and anyone who's even passingly familiar with the less popular Batman works is going to call it instantly. It says a lot about how bad your twist is when the worst instincts of comic book fans, that is to predict a character that looks superficially similar to another is going to have the exact same plot twists, are right on the money. probably wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try and build up the intrigue in the marketing

The Red Hood movie is different because he is at no point presented as the central villain and is more of like Mob Boss version of J Jonah Jameson, so it's wonderful. Promotional material for Arkham Origins made it out like he was going to be the central villain though and no one ever let the beans slip on the twist surprisingly, so it was about all I had to look forward to when the game was coming out since I was 100% it would be boring and not build upon anything the other two games had set... and yeah. I also grew up on the Batman cartoon so I know where you're coming from, but like it's just fun to see comic characters you've never heard of for me. It's like eating your favorite candy, but they changed a few of the flavors without you knowing and it's still good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

iGestalt posted:

I'm not sure - I don't think they are BBC. They are really good and up on Youtube, unabridged, though.

This one?

Because that's the BBC version. And sketchy as gently caress to be listening to on YouTube because I doubt they're getting any revenue, and you can absolutely buy it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Generic Monk posted:

deadshot - shootmans
firefly - burnmans

You've never heard of Deathstroke before? Not even in Teen Titans?

Steve2911 posted:

Riddler will tell you to gently caress off until you get all of his trophies. He will still release Catwoman, though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

wait what there's a batman radio play with the cultural titan of bbc radio 4 behind it? I'm Going To Cum

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be fair, Deathstroke was at no point called that inTeen Titans so a lot of people would have to like find that info themselves unless a thing featuring Deathstroke actually uses his real name which happens, but very seldomly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

if you think he's as iconic as two face, poison ivy, mr freeze, catwoman etc you're out of your mind. i don't even know (remember? i can't remember whether he was in city or not) what he looks like.

More iconic as a Batman villain? No. A guy people who are not comic fans but fans of DC stuff will recognize? Yes, I think so. More people watched Teen Titans than read DC comics these days. He also has shown up in both Smallville and Arrow. In the latter he's a major villain in the second season. He also showed up as one of the playable fighters in Injustice.

Beef Chief posted:

To be fair, Deathstroke was at no point called that inTeen Titans so a lot of people would have to like find that info themselves unless a thing featuring Deathstroke actually uses his real name which happens, but very seldomly.

Batman calls him Slade all the drat time in both games he shows up in. (Probably entirely because of what you said about TT using his real name instead of the ridiculous Deathstroke)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You've never heard of Deathstroke before? Not even in Teen Titans?

nope. my main experience of batman as a child was through VHS tapes of the movies and TAS. never seen teen titans.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Batman calls him Slade all the drat time in both games he shows up in.

I would never blame anyone for not paying any attention to the character interactions in Injustice and he is in Arkham Origins for all of five minutes.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

This one?

Because that's the BBC version. And sketchy as gently caress to be listening to on YouTube because I doubt they're getting any revenue, and you can absolutely buy it.

That one. Huh! I did not know it's BBC. I have it sitting on a shelf behind me, too. Listened to it like hell as a kid.

Totally worth buying though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beef Chief posted:

I would never blame anyone for not paying any attention to the character interactions in Injustice and he is in Arkham Origins for all of five minutes.

He's in Knight too, that's the second game I meant.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

He's in Knight too, that's the second game I meant.

Oh... idk, I know he's in this game but I don't know ho significant his presence is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Beef Chief posted:

Well, he's also a playable character in challenge modes. They put a lot of work into him, though. He definitely doesn't reuse animations from any characters in Arkham City or anything, because that would be dumb.

• Locked thread