Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

caiman posted:

Would something like Free DNS be an adequate solution for a slave DNS server?

I haven't used it, can't really comment. I use Amazon Route 53 for all our important DNS stuff, and our on-premises DNS is Active Directory so I let AD take care of replication for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014
FreeDNS is good for personal projects, or small projects, but I wouldn't use it on super important stuff. I must say it's really stable and easy to use though.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Use HE.net or cloudflare or route53 for DNS. There's no point hosting your own unless you have a very good reason (split horizon views?)

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I've been dabbling in a few python related projects and also have an interest in testing out open source projects such as OpenProject, OSticket, and a few applications made available on GitHub.

I'm using a 2010 Macbook Air and setting up a testing environment via Vagrant/Virtualbox hasn't been a success as it eats up all my resources and makes my computer crawl. I was thinking of using a hosting service as my playground but considering that I have zero experience with self-management, I have a few questions.

- Is it possible to partition out the server for purposes of different projects?
For example, OpenProject and OSticket both require (I think) that you run Apache, but 90% of the GitHub projects I'm interested in playing with are set up using nginx. Or is possible for them to run regardless of whether Apache/nginx is running?

- The whole self-management aspect is a little daunting but considering that this is all new territory for me, I wouldn't mind a little support to get things going. What should I look for in a hosting provider to help me get on my feet (e.g., I think you can install OSticket relatively easily via cPanel, but so many people seem to be anti-cPanel; what are the alternatives aside from shell installations?).

Also, I'm reeeallly new and dumb to all of this. It took me 3 hours to properly install php as I couldn't get my 'info.php' page to display (it instead kept downloading the drat file). :doh:

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
I'm sure others can provide better/more detailed answers, but as a developer who is also a reluctant sysadmin, my 2 cents:

Tortilla Maker posted:

I've been dabbling in a few python related projects and also have an interest in testing out open source projects such as OpenProject, OSticket, and a few applications made available on GitHub.

I'm using a 2010 Macbook Air and setting up a testing environment via Vagrant/Virtualbox hasn't been a success as it eats up all my resources and makes my computer crawl. I was thinking of using a hosting service as my playground but considering that I have zero experience with self-management, I have a few questions.

Up until recently I was using an old iMac and ran into the same problem. Just got a new 2015 rMBP, and it runs VirtualBox, netflix, xcode, and a bunch of other stuff all at the same time without breaking a sweat. Is there NO way you can get new hardware? This really is your best option. That said:

Tortilla Maker posted:

- Is it possible to partition out the server for purposes of different projects?
For example, OpenProject and OSticket both require (I think) that you run Apache, but 90% of the GitHub projects I'm interested in playing with are set up using nginx. Or is possible for them to run regardless of whether Apache/nginx is running?

You can run both at the same time as long as they are listening on different IP addresses/ports. This will of course require you to edit httpd.conf (and any included virtual server confs) as well as nginx.conf (and related virtual server confs). Can't be more specific as some VPS/dedi boxes come with a bunch of IPs, some come with just one, so it depends what kind of hosting you end up with.

Tortilla Maker posted:

- The whole self-management aspect is a little daunting but considering that this is all new territory for me, I wouldn't mind a little support to get things going. What should I look for in a hosting provider to help me get on my feet (e.g., I think you can install OSticket relatively easily via cPanel, but so many people seem to be anti-cPanel; what are the alternatives aside from shell installations?).

Also, I'm reeeallly new and dumb to all of this. It took me 3 hours to properly install php as I couldn't get my 'info.php' page to display (it instead kept downloading the drat file). :doh:

You're just going to have to power through, unless you want to pay serious monthly $$$ for fully managed. Even then, most fully managed plans don't cover 3rd party scripts or non-standard configurations. You could pay a pro by the hour, in the range of $50-$150, but honestly you're better off just learning this stuff. Me? I used stackoverflow, google, actual product docs (e.g. nginx site documentation) and an O'Reilly Safari Online subscription ($50/month) to learn what I needed. It's not easy going, but as devs, our needs don't really fit into that neat little box of traditional online server users.

Also, Digital Ocean and Linode have excellent how-to articles that can get you set up and running securely and efficiently. My preference in terms of hosting is Linode over DO (but DO has better how-to docs, which you can still use if you have a Linode VPS), but either will do you just fine.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
Is anyone familiar with getting SSL certificates to be recognized by Chrome for Android?

I have a site at Lithium Hosting that uses an SSL certificate orderered through Gandi. The SSL certificate, private key and intermediate certificates are installed correctly: SSL Labs is showing that one of the two certification paths is fully trusted (the second requires fetching another intermediate cert), and all browsers I've used so far have no problems... Except Chrome for Android, which gives the error "NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID".

On top of that, my phone is the one Android device that doesn't have that problem. I feel like I'm stepping into black magic territory and I'm not even sure what tools I could use to research this.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Anaxite posted:

Except Chrome for Android, which gives the error "NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID".

On top of that, my phone is the one Android device that doesn't have that problem. I feel like I'm stepping into black magic territory and I'm not even sure what tools I could use to research this.

Is there a possibility the root certificates installed on that Android are out of date? What Android version is the phone running?

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

nem posted:

Is there a possibility the root certificates installed on that Android are out of date? What Android version is the phone running?

I tested this on Android 4.2.2 and 5.1.1, Chrome versions 43 and 44 beta.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Anaxite posted:

I tested this on Android 4.2.2 and 5.1.1, Chrome versions 43 and 44 beta.

Only time I've seen that happen then is when the intermediate certificate isn't present in the handshake, i.e. in Apache SSLCertificateChainFile is missing or supplying an erroneous certificate - you can send as many as necessary, client will only use those certificates applicable to resolving the chain. At least one path must be sent by the server (i.e. not an additional download) resolving up to a certificate trusted in its store. That store would be the root certificates in the phone's OS.

So either the chain isn't sent or the CA (gandi) isn't trusted in the root certificates that ship with both OSes (unlikely).

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

Unlikely, but I wonder if that's what it is. I'll keep looking around while I wait to hear what Gandi has to say about it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Anaxite posted:

Unlikely, but I wonder if that's what it is. I'll keep looking around while I wait to hear what Gandi has to say about it.

You should always include the cert chain, it's best practice.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I need some advice about VPS vs shared hosting. I'm a web developer who offers hosting to my clients. I'm with Stablehost and have been using their reseller plan (shared hosting). It has worked fine, but lately I've had the desire to have more control over things on the server end (post-deployment Grunt tasks, for example). So I signed on for their least expensive unmanaged VPS plan just to test the waters. I've got everything set up, installed Virtualmin, got the DNS figured out, etc.

But I'm having doubts about the VPS. On one hand I want control. But on the other hand I want to focus my time on web development, NOT server admin. I can't afford to hire a dedicated server admin, and I don't really want to pay Stablehost for the managed option.

Here's my biggest question: aside from the initial setup (which I'm mostly finished with), how much time will I need to commit to an unmanaged VPS? Will I need to perform regular security patches, system monitoring, etc? I don't know much about server security. If my preference is a more hands-off experience, would I be better off sticking to the shared hosting?

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

caiman posted:

I need some advice about VPS vs shared hosting. I'm a web developer who offers hosting to my clients. I'm with Stablehost and have been using their reseller plan (shared hosting). It has worked fine, but lately I've had the desire to have more control over things on the server end (post-deployment Grunt tasks, for example). So I signed on for their least expensive unmanaged VPS plan just to test the waters. I've got everything set up, installed Virtualmin, got the DNS figured out, etc.

But I'm having doubts about the VPS. On one hand I want control. But on the other hand I want to focus my time on web development, NOT server admin. I can't afford to hire a dedicated server admin, and I don't really want to pay Stablehost for the managed option.

Here's my biggest question: aside from the initial setup (which I'm mostly finished with), how much time will I need to commit to an unmanaged VPS? Will I need to perform regular security patches, system monitoring, etc? I don't know much about server security. If my preference is a more hands-off experience, would I be better off sticking to the shared hosting?

If you don't want to get owned and end up being a spam zombie, yeah, you're going to need to do lots of regular maintenance and proactive monitoring. If you want a hands-off experience where it's all managed for you, a self-managed solution is the last thing you should be looking at. Either get managed service, or stick with the shared hosting. Keeping systems running well involves a good deal of work, it's hardly ever fire and forget.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

caiman posted:

You will be responsible for security patches, any monitoring you want, operating system updates, debugging the web server and so forth. If you prefer not to do all of this, a VPS may not be for you. Shared Hosting is probably the easiest to deal with

There is a middle ground of application hosting: Platform as a Service. You're responsible for setting up your web app and possibly the web server instance, but the platform/OS/libraries it uses will be handled by the host. This kind of service includes hosts such as Heroku, OpenShift, Google App Engine and so forth. Their pricing structure is not necessarily as predictable, though, and I don't know how well they work.

ElCondemn posted:

You should always include the cert chain, it's best practice.

It might be the webserver's fault. The whole certificate chain was uploaded, but may not be properly sent by Apache. Oh well, at least I have a vague idea of what to do.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

What's the error you get after restarting apache when you uncomment the namevirtualhost and listen lines for port 1337?

When I do this, I get:
code:
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: Stopping web server: apache2apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:46 2015] [error] VirtualHost *:1337 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:46 2015] [error] VirtualHost *:8080 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:46 2015] [error] VirtualHost *:8080 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:46 2015] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:1337 has no VirtualHosts
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:46 2015] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:8080 has no VirtualHosts
Jun 15 14:20:48 beaglebone apache2[3236]: ... waiting ..
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: Starting web server: apache2apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:49 2015] [error] VirtualHost *:1337 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:49 2015] [error] VirtualHost *:8080 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:49 2015] [error] VirtualHost *:8080 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:49 2015] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:1337 has no VirtualHosts
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:49 2015] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:8080 has no VirtualHosts
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: .
in systemd-journalctl. I don't see any errors in /var/log/apache2/error.log, nor in the /var/www/log/ error.log files for the two websites.

This also causes the webpage normally just hosted on port 8080 to be hosted at port 1337 as well.

Edit: bonus question, I'm using Debian and what owner and permissions should my files in /var/www/ have? Probably not root:root but is 755 for directories and 644 for files good?

reading fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 15, 2015

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Not really sure if there's a better place to ask this.

I'm looking into various options for a site to host short fiction stories. I've taken a look at Wordpress, which seems to have way way more features baked than I need (like comments), and I've also taken a look at some basic CMSes (Pico in particular), but the documentation was terrible.

I'd like something I could tweak to my satisfaction with my CSS knowledge, as I'm not very well-versed in Javascript/MySQL/PHP. Do you guys have any suggestions?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Djeser posted:

Not really sure if there's a better place to ask this.

I'm looking into various options for a site to host short fiction stories. I've taken a look at Wordpress, which seems to have way way more features baked than I need (like comments), and I've also taken a look at some basic CMSes (Pico in particular), but the documentation was terrible.

I'd like something I could tweak to my satisfaction with my CSS knowledge, as I'm not very well-versed in Javascript/MySQL/PHP. Do you guys have any suggestions?

If you want a static website without those extra Wordpress features that you mention, GitHub offers free hosting for user pages or project pages. You can put all your short stories and html files into a git repo (could be a private repo too) and then use github's automatic tool to build a simple static site hosting each story. It's free and you can either use the domain they provide at username.github.io or redirect a web domain you already have to it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I suppose that's an option, but it feels like it might be a misuse of their resources? I'll look into it, but my ideal pick would be something where I'm only beholden to a web host.

If there isn't anything out there that fits what I want in specific, that's fine. I just want to know if there's an obvious solution I've missed.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

If you want a really basic site, an S3 bucket and a static site generator (Octopress, Pelican, etc.) might be the way to go. You'll have to learn markdown, but it's pretty simple. There's also plenty of resources online to walk you through the process of setting it all up.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

reading posted:

When I do this, I get:
code:
snip really wide log files
in systemd-journalctl. I don't see any errors in /var/log/apache2/error.log, nor in the /var/www/log/ error.log files for the two websites.

This also causes the webpage normally just hosted on port 8080 to be hosted at port 1337 as well.

Edit: bonus question, I'm using Debian and what owner and permissions should my files in /var/www/ have? Probably not root:root but is 755 for directories and 644 for files good?

https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/VirtualHostsMixingPorts

The probable reason for that error is that either you have a

NameVirtualHost *

or a

<VirtualHost *>

statement somewhere in your config.

You need to specific a port number on every virtual host definition.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

reading posted:

When I do this, I get:
code:
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: Stopping web server: apache2apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:46 2015] [error] VirtualHost *:1337 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:46 2015] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:1337 has no VirtualHosts
Jun 15 14:20:46 beaglebone apache2[3236]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:46 2015] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:8080 has no VirtualHosts
Jun 15 14:20:48 beaglebone apache2[3236]: ... waiting ..
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: Starting web server: apache2apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:49 2015] [error] VirtualHost *:1337 -- mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not supported, proceeding with undefined results
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:49 2015] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:1337 has no VirtualHosts
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: [Mon Jun 15 14:20:49 2015] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:8080 has no VirtualHosts
Jun 15 14:20:49 beaglebone apache2[3263]: .

Those errors mean you have a declaration like "NameVirtualHost *" somewhere, get rid of that and it should fix all your problems. Also remember to set the ServerName in the virtualhost definition to get rid of those "no virtualhosts" errors.

Permissions are complicated, I usually chown myuser:www-data on the directory. 755 for the main directory and 644 for everything inside should probably be good though.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks for that help, I had to get rid of the stupid /conf.d/virtual.conf file with "NameVirtualHosts * " in it which this site (https://www.debian-administration.org/article/412/Hosting_multiple_websites_with_Apache2) had told me to do. Once I got rid of that things worked!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

caiman posted:

Don't do it man. Remember the discussion we had in the web dev thread about this a few months ago? You've given yourself a whole new job role with loads of extra time and stress, and you're not going to make any money out of it. I hosted all my client sites on VPSs for a couple of years and I just spent the whole time vaguely paranoid they were about to crash or start sending out spam (because they usually were haha). And I was only making like $30 per month from each client - total waste of time.

I switched over to a managed hosting thing and now I actually pay less per month on servers/hosting, I can call support any time I have a problem, and I still get ssh access to everything so I can feel vaguely like a developer.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

After my trouble getting an SSL certificate to be trusted by Android devices, I finally got to test it from nginx on a VPS. Turns out the SSL certificate is fine. One packet capture later, and I saw that my original problem was that only 1 of 2 CA certificates was being served, where correct behavior would be to serve both.

I've got a ticket open with Lithium Hosting. At least the certificate wasn't a dud and I know what's up, now.

Edit: and fixed, fast support response! Now I get to find out if it's my browser that doesn't like cPanel. Later.

Anaxite fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 17, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rackspace support is so terrible. Control panel features don't work, it takes 6+ hours for a ticket to be responded to.

FANATICAL SUPPORT

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

So I have a really irritating issue that I'd like to ask for some advice/opinions on.

A company that I do contract work for recently switched ISPs. They host their own Exchange server. Now that they've switched ISPs and have a new static IP, email to certain external mailservers bounces due to a lack of reverse-DNS. So this should be simple, right? Email the ISP and ask for a PTR record to be set up, right?

Except that the ISP claims that they run no nameservers for their IP space and says we have to contact our forward-DNS providers (who do not own the IP block.) I've been going back and forth with the ISP's support person on this all morning and haven't had any luck.

Are there any options for enabling rDNS if the ISP isn't running nameservers? Or should I be trying to bark up the management tree to explain to them that it's their responsibility to be running nameservers for their IP blocks?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Kaninrail posted:

So I have a really irritating issue that I'd like to ask for some advice/opinions on.

A company that I do contract work for recently switched ISPs. They host their own Exchange server. Now that they've switched ISPs and have a new static IP, email to certain external mailservers bounces due to a lack of reverse-DNS. So this should be simple, right? Email the ISP and ask for a PTR record to be set up, right?

Except that the ISP claims that they run no nameservers for their IP space and says we have to contact our forward-DNS providers (who do not own the IP block.) I've been going back and forth with the ISP's support person on this all morning and haven't had any luck.

Are there any options for enabling rDNS if the ISP isn't running nameservers? Or should I be trying to bark up the management tree to explain to them that it's their responsibility to be running nameservers for their IP blocks?

This is one of the biggest issues with on-premise Exchange using crappy local ISPs. You need to talk to someone more qualified at the ISP, the person you are talking to is a retard.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Kaninrail posted:

i'm going to assume they are too dumb to delegate rdns to other nameservers or cname it too

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Kaninrail posted:

You could configure a smarthost in Exchange that points to the ISPs email server, that's the simplest fix. Even if you do get them to set up the rDNS for you, plenty of over aggressive spam filters will probably still end up blocking you, because they love to just treat all client IP ranges with ISPs as belonging to the residential dynamic ranges.

Also, if the company is using a hosted spam filter, often times you can set the smarthost to point to their servers instead of the ISPs.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
(Cross post from the web dev thread)

I've been monitoring some of my sites for the last week or so using dotcom-tools.com (pretty cool) because I feel like they are slow and I don't know why.

Most of the tests look like this:

But there are quite a few like this:

That can't be normal right? Can anyone explain what "First Packet" means exactly? Am I right that it suggests a slow server response time? Basically I need to know whether I should be blaming my hosting provider or if the problem lies with my image-heavy, badly optimised websites.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

fuf posted:

I've been monitoring some of my sites for the last week or so using dotcom-tools.com (pretty cool) because I feel like they are slow and I don't know why.

Most of the tests look like this:

But there are quite a few like this:

That can't be normal right? Can anyone explain what "First Packet" means exactly? Am I right that it suggests a slow server response time? Basically I need to know whether I should be blaming my hosting provider or if the problem lies with my image-heavy, badly optimised websites.

That's the time between the request being sent and the first packet of the response being sent back from the remote server, as you had guessed. I'd yell at your hosting provider. 25 seconds before even sending any data back is pretty ridiculous. Hell even 4.6 seconds is pretty ridiculous.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Kaninrail posted:

As an alternative you can use mandrill as a smart host, and use it to add DKIM signing to your outbound emails. It also gets round the ISP ip ranges being blackholed by a lot of spam lists.

Its free for less than 12,000 emails sent per month

http://www.mandrill.com/pricing/

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

fuf posted:

Where is this magical thread you speak of???

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

fuf posted:

Also start doubting the server that's doing the test if it's really weird results (25seconds??).

Lots of these companies just use the cheapest vps server they can find in the region - even worse is when they don't tell you when the server moves...

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

jre posted:

As an alternative you can use mandrill as a smart host, and use it to add DKIM signing to your outbound emails. It also gets round the ISP ip ranges being blackholed by a lot of spam lists.

Its free for less than 12,000 emails sent per month

http://www.mandrill.com/pricing/

Just a heads up, Mandrill isn't really ideal as outbound for regular day to day email. It intercepts bounces and doesn't send them to the generating user, so if you're using it in front of say Exchange, your users will never know if they typoed someone's email address and it bounced back. AFAIK there's no option to forward bounces back to generating users either. The only services I've found in my limited searching that will actually send bounces back to the originating user are SendGrid and SMTP2GO. I personally use SMTP2GO for my Exchange deployment, works a treat. SendGrid's great, but in order to get the DKIM signing going so you don't show up as "sent via SendGrid" you have to be on a $70/mo plan at minimum, which just isn't worth it for the low volume of mail I have.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks for the responses.

Croc Monster posted:

Where is this magical thread you speak of???

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3554791&perpage=40&pagenumber=126 :)

unknown posted:

Also start doubting the server that's doing the test if it's really weird results (25seconds??).

Lots of these companies just use the cheapest vps server they can find in the region - even worse is when they don't tell you when the server moves...

eek I hope not because I just used that data to justify sending a message to my host. They test the sites every 15 minutes from one of the following locations, and that crazy long "First Packet" delay seems to show up regardless of the location, so I'm assuming that means it's my host rather than the testers. I would get crazy long load times using pingdom and gtmetrix etc. too.

MN, USA
NY, USA
CA, USA
FL, USA
Montreal, Canada
CO, USA
TX, USA
VA, USA
Amazon-US-East
Buenos Aires, Argentina
WA, USA
Europe and M. East
London, UK
Frankfurt, Germany
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Tel-Aviv, Israel
Paris, France
Warsaw, Poland
Asia, Australia, Africa
Hong Kong, China
Brisbane, AU
Amazon, Japan
Shanghai, China
South Africa
Mumbai, India

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

:tipshat:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Thalagyrt posted:

Just a heads up, Mandrill isn't really ideal as outbound for regular day to day email. It intercepts bounces and doesn't send them to the generating user, so if you're using it in front of say Exchange, your users will never know if they typoed someone's email address and it bounced back. AFAIK there's no option to forward bounces back to generating users either. The only services I've found in my limited searching that will actually send bounces back to the originating user are SendGrid and SMTP2GO. I personally use SMTP2GO for my Exchange deployment, works a treat. SendGrid's great, but in order to get the DKIM signing going so you don't show up as "sent via SendGrid" you have to be on a $70/mo plan at minimum, which just isn't worth it for the low volume of mail I have.

You can get the bounce info to users via a web hook, its requires a little extra work but it can be done.

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

jre posted:

You can get the bounce info to users via a web hook, its requires a little extra work but it can be done.

Or you can use a service that gives you the option to send the bounce to the originating user and not have to do anything at all other than check a box. I don't know about you, but I know which option I'm choosing!

Also, Mandrill has (had?) a tendency to take 20-30 minutes to deliver emails to Gmail users. We used to use it at vNucleus and abandoned it after many complaints about email authentication mailers (which email you a code to enter in order to log in, good for 15 minutes) were taking 20+ minutes to show up for Gmail users and making it impossible for a large number of our users to even log in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I recently added a new domain to my Google Apps account.

According to Google's documentation, I can't use my new domain for the Mail/Calendar/Contacts/etc. landing pages (ie: mail.organization.com, calendar.organization.com, contacts.organization.com, etc.).

I thought that I could get around this by adding an Aliases in my Cloudflare control panel for the new domain, pointing mail.newdomain.com to mail.organization.com.

This clearly didn't work as I simply get redirected to a Google 404 page.

Any workarounds for this?