Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Abner Cadaver II posted:

When you truly believe that there's either eternal bliss or eternal torment awaiting you depending on your accepting a very particular version of Jesus into your heart or not, things like honesty and common decency in a relationship seem irrelevant in light of potential Soul Saving.

All religious people are literally insane and should be treated. They believe in stuff that doesn't exist. They're no different than the roswell kooks.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

effectual posted:

All religious people are literally insane and should be treated.

I wouldn't go quite that far...personal faith can be a wonderful and helpful thing. There ARE people that take it too far though and either start being bigots about it or do literally insane things in the name of their religion...but its not everyone.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

effectual posted:

D&D, folks.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

pentyne posted:

"Now, I'm going to suck your dick, but you need to remember that I'm not gay and I'm not enjoying it and hate it but I really really really think I can convert you to Evangelical Christianity and you'll learn to become straight. Please tap my head twice when you're about to finish."

Well this certainly gave me a colored view while googling the term. You mean there aren't hordes of ultra-religious dudes out there waiting to blow me if I just buy them a meal at Joe's Crab Shack!?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

effectual posted:

Everyone who believes in the peculiar theology I described is utterly misled by a very warped reading of the Bible. Most religious people are completely sane and very nice and don't think their deity is so torture-happy that they need to spend every waking moment desperately trying to save people from hellfire by any means available.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

effectual posted:

*injects strawman with haldol*

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I had to Bing this.

All I can say is da fuq?

It's a term they use amongst themselves when one of their group dates a non-believer, hoping the heathen will find the lord and they'll live happily ever after in the eyes of God.

Of course, the secular partner is trying to get the religious one to put out, so its this marvelous, months-long Faustian dance of deception and desire; a holy war waged on the anthills of her b-cups.

Ah, to be young in the South. *sips iced tea, twirls moustache*

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
All the young Christians here just do anal sex because it's technically not PIV so it's a-ok.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I had to Bing this.

All I can say is da fuq?

Look at all this judging people's lifestyles. Their sexy, sexy lifestyles packed with erotic tension.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Can anyone figure out what exactly these guys are trying to argue here? Like, apparently they think gay polygamy got legalized too? Or that Friday's ruling was just a stunt to make divorce money? I'm seriously confirmed.

Edit: in a different comment, he asked me if I thought we should repeal any law based on the Ten Commandments, since that's just people using their religion as a basis for law....so maybe he's just an idiot.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 30, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Eh, dnd complains about ratheisms like that all the time.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

jivjov posted:

Can anyone figure out what exactly these guys are trying to argue here? Like, apparently they think gay polygamy got legalized too? Or that Friday's ruling was just a stunt to make divorce money? I'm seriously confirmed.

Edit: in a different comment, he asked me if I thought we should repeal any law based on the Ten Commandments, since that's just people using their religion as a basis for law....so maybe he's just an idiot.

Hmm...I wonder how many friend of the court briefs were filed by lawyers just salivating over that sweet, sweet gay divorce money.

I could actually look this up - this is information freely and readily available to me and would take me about an hour to work out - but I'm not going to look it up.
Instead I'm just going to jerk my dick imagining yet another sinister plot revolving around gays getting married.

(they're not arguing anything. They're circle-jerking in an echo chamber for the dislike of gays.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

jivjov posted:

Can anyone figure out what exactly these guys are d TX ds sad trying to argue here? Like, apparently they think gay polygamy got legalized too? Or that Friday's ruling was just a stunt to xx make divorce money?

For them, marriage has a definition set in stone via God's word/natural law, because that allows them to avoid addressing any arguments against it.

So by deviating from this rigid definition, all bets are off. As in, they literally believe that anything and everything goes as far as the definition of marriage is concerned now, because gay marriage goes so far against what they define it as that the term is basically meaningless from a legal standpoint.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The Bible talks about multiple instances of people getting married (as people itt pointed out, it also gives rules for how you have to marry your rapist, or your military captor, and gives accounts of lots of hosed up marriages including harems, servants, sisters, etc).

But does it ever directly give a "listen up, here's the definition of marriage"? Legit curious. As far as i know it's all incidental.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

I know critical thinking is not normally your strong suit but why are you posting reactionary garbage when someone already took the time to give me actual good and thoughtful reasons why this isn't a valid concern and I accepted them.

I was drawing your attention to an ingrained double standard in our society, it wasn't a personal attack on you :shrug:

eldridge cleaver
Apr 11, 2015

by Lowtax
Jesus talks about marriage a lot. Check out Matthew 19:1-19:13 or so for a very clear "man & woman, no divorce" definition.

But, polygamy when? Because it has a pretty long and clear history of practice, including in the United States.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

But does it ever directly give a "listen up, here's the definition of marriage"? Legit curious. As far as i know it's all incidental.
There isn't really any detail on which the Bible has only one perspective.

Normatively, the Bible tends to prefer one-man-one-woman-forever, but it also explicitly allows a bunch of other stuff, including polygamy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

The Bible talks about multiple instances of people getting married (as people itt pointed out, it also gives rules for how you have to marry your rapist, or your military captor, and gives accounts of lots of hosed up marriages including harems, servants, sisters, etc).

Yeah, there are several mentions of how you can have more than one spouse. Plus concubines.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, there are several mentions of how you can have more than one spouse. Plus concubines.
I assume that like a lot of things in religious texts, they just picked their battles and decided they couldn't stop men from having women on the side.

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Louisiana State Senator, David Vitter after the Supreme Court legalizes gay marriage

A little late, but I just realized that I ate Chik fila on decision day. :ohdear:

(You get a free chicken sandwich with your baseball ticket if the Pittsburgh Pirates turn a double play in the "Spot the Cow" inning. Our local Chik fila's gave out a lot of free chicken that day).

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Baseball pirates weren't the only kind of pirates who won that day.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Normatively, the Bible tends to prefer one-man-one-woman-forever, but it also explicitly allows a bunch of other stuff, including polygamy.

There was a really good Bible thread a long time ago, I can't for the life of me remember in which subforum though. Had some very interesting analyses on various topics, all I remember is the OP wasn't religious, just had a really high academic-like fascination with the Bible.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

usbombshell posted:

A little late, but I just realized that I ate Chik fila on decision day. :ohdear:

(You get a free chicken sandwich with your baseball ticket if the Pittsburgh Pirates turn a double play in the "Spot the Cow" inning. Our local Chik fila's gave out a lot of free chicken that day).

At least you didn't give them money for the sandwich :unsmith:
And the buccos turned a double play so win win

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Cingulate posted:

Christians (like every social group) pick and choose the tenants they want, but in general they look to the new testament for their Terms and Conditions. The idea is that when Jesus was born, poo poo got real/prophecy fulfilled, so now we are going to start doing things a different way.

So, alot of things that were OK in Genesis and Exodus, etc. became Not OK when Jesus came around.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yesssssss

Remember Bryan Fischer who said 6/26 was their 9/11

He returns

Supreme Court Makes It Easier to Go to Hell

quote:

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. It may also be paved with misguided, immoral, unlawful and unconstitutional Supreme Court decisions.

The Supreme Court’s unconscionable ruling released on Friday, which imposes recognition of sodomy-based marriage on the entire United States, will have devastating consequences for our nation.

Our first national sin was slavery. It took a civil war and 600,000 American deaths before we turned as a people from that abomination both culturally and in our national public policy.

Our second national sin is abortion, which the Court embraced on our behalf in 1973. We have yet to turn from that pernicious form of evil. God’s justice demands an accounting for the shed blood of 57 million innocents.

Now the Court has added a third national sin to the list by embracing sexual perversion and ordering everybody in America to accept it or else. Who knows what kind of national catastrophe it will take to humble us as a people and persuade us to turn from the wickedness of murdering the unborn and engaging in sexual perversion?

If it took a civil war to compel us to deal with slavery, I shudder to think of what awaits us. As Thomas Jefferson did, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever.

But, as Dale, a caller to my program on Friday pointed out, there is another feature of the Court’s ruling that is even more sobering. The Court has made it easier for people to go to hell.

The Scriptures are clear in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 that unrepentant homosexuality is a sin that will keep a man from the kingdom of God. “Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Everyone of these sins will keep us out of God’s eternal kingdom if it is not repented of, whether the sin is sexual deviancy or cheating in business. On the other hand, the great news of the gospel is that not one of these sins can keep us out of God’s eternal kingdom if it is confessed as sin and brought under the blood of Christ. That’s why the gospel is literally “the good news.”

The Supreme Court on Friday jeopardized the eternal souls of millions of Americans by justifying the sin of homosexuality. The Court has used its considerable authority to communicate the exceedingly dangerous message that homosexual marriage is not a perversion to be renounced but a constitutional right to be celebrated and promoted.

Thus the Court has moved millions of impressionable Americans one giant step further from repentance and eternal life. Who knows how many of them will use the Court’s ruling to defend their own behavior? The liberal majority will have much to answer for on The Day.

Jesus warned us in Luke 17:1-4, “Temptations are sure to come, but woe to the one through they come! It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were cast into the sea than that he should cause one of these little ones to sin.”

God’s design is that every segment of society – family, church, community, government, education, business, and media – reinforce the abiding and eternal moral standards of the word of God, in order that citizens may be reminded of the divine nature of these standards, develop a reverence and respect for them, and be prompted to seek God for forgiveness when they recognize their own moral failings.

The Court has told the world that homosexuality is not something over which men should repent but something over which they should rejoice. In so doing, the liberal majority on the Court has done a historical disservice to this nation and an eternal disservice to mankind. They have aided and abetted those misguided souls who are inclined to engage in unrepentant sin which will separate them from God forever.

Jesus told us in Matthew 7:13 that “the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction.” The Supreme Court has just added an express lane on the highway to hell.

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

http://barbwire.com/2015/06/30/0900-supreme-court-makes-it-easier-to-go-to-hell/

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blarzgh posted:

Christians (like every social group) pick and choose the tenants they want, but in general they look to the new testament for their Terms and Conditions. The idea is that when Jesus was born, poo poo got real/prophecy fulfilled, so now we are going to start doing things a different way.

So, alot of things that were OK in Genesis and Exodus, etc. became Not OK when Jesus came around.
Christians are all over the place, and I'd say by the broadest possible definition (the one where you arrive at > 1 billion Christians), are better characterized as "really don't orient their lives according to the bible" than the other way around.

Which is one reason why it's a lot simpler to talk about what the Bible says than what "Christians" do. For example, the Bible explicitly says that Jesus came not to overturn the mosaic law.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Barbwire really is on a goddamn roll

LET’S DO THIS IN RESPONSE TO THE GOD-MOCKING SCOTUS DECISION

quote:

there is something that can be done to immediately express disapproval loud and clear and have a future impact.

I was extremely disappointed by the decision and like so many people believe that, as a nation, our religious freedoms are at risk, and will be diminished.

After letting that sink in I began to wonder how I could respond in a meaningful way anticipating the changes that are coming through lawsuits, court challenges, fines, etc. against our deeply held beliefs. Denying this, in my view, is not reality.

The question to me was how do we minimize the future activity against us, respectfully. How can we have a meaningful effect quickly?

So, in the middle of a restless last night the thought came; black ribbons hanging on the American flag, on as many as possible as soon as possible.

It is my belief that if enough are seen by and on the 4th of July the message will not be ignored. That message is “we disagree with the decision and we are many”.

It doesn’t require elaborate explanations in fact, the fewer the better. But the response has to be quick and in large numbers. This can be done now….all it takes is contacting those you know who are disappointed.

And do this by any and all social media asking them to hang a black ribbon on their flag and ask them to pass the idea on.

This could cover the nation in days, not waiting for organized demonstrations.

To have impact the response has to be quick and impressive.

*I’m writing this anonymously since I think there could be personal reprisals. I’m sure Tami would forward any comments.

http://barbwire.com/2015/06/29/breaking-lets-do-this-in-response-to-the-god-mocking-scotus-decision/

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

This isn't the place for a biblical derail, particularly with someone who's already decided what they want to believe and is going to cherry pick the passages they want in order to support it(!)

Here, everyone, have this instead:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Barbwire really is on a goddamn roll

LET’S DO THIS IN RESPONSE TO THE GOD-MOCKING SCOTUS DECISION

http://barbwire.com/2015/06/29/breaking-lets-do-this-in-response-to-the-god-mocking-scotus-decision/

If anyone disagrees with the decision this much, I'm sure they've already made everyone they know more than aware.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If that does catch on I bet you're gonna see some rainbows hanging from American flags too

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

If that does catch on I bet you're gonna see some rainbows hanging from American flags too

It's already caught on. You wouldn't believe the amount of statehouses and government buildings that have objected to marriage equality for years.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do It Once Right posted:

It's already caught on. You wouldn't believe the amount of statehouses and government buildings that have objected to marriage equality for years.

Oddly, the local VFW has been obsessed with it for ages. They even make bumper stickers with the same logo :confused:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One of those same guys from my last photo just replied with the following, and I honestly think it broke me a little bit:

what is this, I cannot even begin to process posted:

If my neighbor told me that 2 plus 2 = 3 and I tell him that he is incorrect, and that 2 plus 2 = 4, would that make me a bigot in the way that word is being used today? For the same situation, if I were to show him a math textbook that explained the above problem, would that be bigotry? My personal belief is that 2 plus 2 = 4 if that will help. The first 2 examples will be "A" and "B". Example "C" is this. I have a personal belief that 2 plus 2 = 4 and I do not share it with my neighbor who believes that 2 plus 2 = 3, would that make me a bigot in the way that the word is being used today?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

jivjov posted:

One of those same guys from my last photo just replied with the following, and I honestly think it broke me a little bit:

I've heard that but it was 2+2=6

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

blarzgh posted:

This isn't the place for a biblical derail, particularly with someone who's already decided what they want to believe
I neither know what you think I've settled on, nor what I have settled on so this is actually you being way off base.

I also can't place you anywhere. Are you pissed because you think I'm trying to prove the Bible hates gays? Or because I'm trying to prove Christians are bad people?

Do It Once Right posted:

is this the ISIS flag

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The best response I could formulate that wasn't just laughing in his face was "mathematics is not an issue of civil rights. If your neighbor believes that 2+2=3, he's factually and demonstrably incorrect"

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

He doesn't understand the subtle difference between objective truth and subjective truth.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

southpaugh posted:

He doesn't understand the subtle difference between objective truth and subjective truth.

Yeah but isn't all truth subjective :smug:
*quotes the bible as irrefutable*

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You have to remember that they believe their opinions match those of a being who is Correct by default. However much they claim otherwise, it is literally beyond their understanding that their beliefs are opinions and not facts ingrained into the very fabric of the universe. Like one of the things you posted earlier, it's a fantastic way to avoid facing up to being wrong about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cingulate posted:

is this the ISIS flag

Yes.

• Locked thread