Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was implied to be his soul. He kept talking about he'll, but Batman is an atheist for some reason, so his subconscious wouldn't talk of that.

I don't believe Batman has ever been characterized as an atheist. If anything he's got a whole lot of religious symbolism goin' on. I mean I assume there's probably ONE book out there or something where he says it but he's also a guy who regularly visits churches and holds Christmas parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Beef Chief posted:

Arkham Knight should've pulled off the mask and revealed himself as Troy Baker, that would've been a pretty cool twist.

"You can't stop me, Batman.

I'M EVERYWHERE"

And then instead of Joker clones, it's just thousands of mooks who are all played by Troy Baker.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I don't believe Batman has ever been characterized as an atheist. If anything he's got a whole lot of religious symbolism goin' on. I mean I assume there's probably ONE book out there or something where he says it but he's also a guy who regularly visits churches and holds Christmas parties.

He's also buddies with a guy who has literally battled angels.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

"You can't stop me, Batman.

I'M EVERYWHERE"

And then instead of Joker clones, it's just thousands of mooks who are all played by Troy Baker.

But... but Troy Baker IS the Joker.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

My God. We're through the looking glass now, people.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

He's also buddies with a guy who has literally battled angels.

There's also the Spectre.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

And Two-face. Or I guess One-face if you understand fractions like some thugs.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Think about it, Troy Baker has voiced a character in almost every Batman game, only he could be so familiar with Batman to counter him at every turn!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

And Two-face. Or I guess One-face if you understand fractions like some thugs.

Beef Chief posted:

Think about it, Troy Baker has voiced a character in almost every Batman game, only he could be so familiar with Batman to counter him at every turn!

He's even voiced Batman himself once...

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ImpAtom posted:

There's not really anything backing that up at all. The Joker has explicit knowledge of events that Bruce couldn't have and is able to directly lie to Bruce and provide information he wouldn't have otherwise. Likewise the other infected Joker patients display knowledge and ability they couldn't have.The entire thing with the 'fake cured' Joker couldn't really work as he displays both knowledge of Joker's affairs far beyond what a non-Bat could have and abilities such as computer hacking which are intentionally out-of-character for the person involved and that is used as a hint that he isn't trustworthy.

Do you have any examples of this? Yes, the Joker-infected victims have some general knowledge of the Joker's behavior, but that's not unusual given his "celebrity". And it's not remotely surprising that an alternbate personality trying to sabotage Batman's could attempt to lie to him and manipulate him through hallucinations. I see no evidence of actual "knowledge of Joker's affairs," nor skills beyond the ability of the uninfected character, infected with something that gives them Joker's general mental traits.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 30, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Beef Chief posted:

He's played two different Robins just within this franchise, of course he'd be intimately knowledgeable about the Bat's tactics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Do you have any examples of this? Yes, the Joker-infected victims have some general knowledge of the Joker's behavior, but that's not unusual given his "celebrity". And it's not remotely surprising that an alternbate personality trying to sabotage Batman's could attempt to lie to him and manipulate him through hallucinations. I see no evidence of actual "knowledge of Joker's affairs," nor skills beyond the ability of the uninfected character, infected with something that gives them Joker's general mental traits.

You really think the headmaster dude would be capable of hacking the Batcomputer and contacting Harley Quinn on his own?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I will never not chuckle at the cops taking selfies with the batmobile. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

I will never not chuckle at the cops taking selfies with the batmobile. :allears:

The cops in Knight own.

edit: I mean they're completely and utterly useless but they're fun anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They really did put a lot of love into the cops hanging around the police station. First thing I noticed is that some of them are ones you rescue from the Riddler in Arkham City, and being able to talk to each cop individually and be the nosiest batman ever is great.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Troy Baker doesn't bother me so much in this game, its the random mook voiced by Steven Blum that bugs me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Never before-seen concept art of the scrapped Two-Face boss fight in Asylum.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ImpAtom posted:

You really think the headmaster dude would be capable of hacking the Batcomputer and contacting Harley Quinn on his own?

Yes, just like the singer can manufacture explosives- or Joker was able to do any of those things in the first place. It's a symptom. If they made specific references to unknown actions, or were manufacturing Smilex from scratch, that would be a different story- but it's established that they don't share a consciousness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, just like the singer can manufacture explosives- or Joker was able to do any of those things in the first place. It's a symptom. If they made specific references to unknown actions, or were manufacturing Smilex from scratch, that would be a different story- but it's established that they don't share a consciousness.

A symptom that explicitly gives them knowledge and capabilities they wouldn't have normally that happens to match what the Joker has but in turn is somehow not the Joker's memory. It's just a special infection symptom that gives them generic explosive and hacking capabilities. That's a real drat far stretch when somehow "The Joker passes along his genetic memory via blood transfusion" is the less complex answer.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 30, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

"Now this time say I'M BATMAN :haw:"

The post game banter continues to be amazing. So many mooks are sad over how Batman's lost all his mystique, like the one who was complaining it's similar to finding out Santa Claus is actually just a drunken pervert.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

"Now this time say I'M BATMAN :haw:"

The post game banter continues to be amazing. So many mooks are sad over how Batman's lost all his mystique, like the one who was complaining it's similar to finding out Santa Claus is actually just a drunken pervert.

My favorite there is the guy who is like Wait, so if Bruce Wayne has been Batman this entire time... WHO IS BRUCE WAYNE?!

I also like the Militia guy who respects that a rich guy like Bruce Wayne is dedicating his life to helping people. He's still going to shoot him but he respects him.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

My favorite there is the guy who is like Wait, so if Bruce Wayne has been Batman this entire time... WHO IS BRUCE WAYNE?!

I also like the Militia guy who respects that a rich guy like Bruce Wayne is dedicating his life to helping people. He's still going to shoot him but he respects him.

I like the thugs who freak out because they saw Hush earlier that night and now they're just really confused

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

I like the thugs who freak out because they saw Hush earlier that night and now they're just really confused

Speaking of which I asked this earlier but what changes in Hush's mission if you wait to complete it until after the story.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ImpAtom posted:

A symptom that explicitly gives them knowledge and capabilities they wouldn't have normally that happens to match what the Joker has but in turn is somehow not the Joker's memory. It's just a special infection symptom that gives them generic explosive and hacking capabilities. That's a real drat far stretch when somehow "The Joker passes along his genetic memory via blood transfusion" is the less complex answer.

It's loving stupid either way

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It's also more consistent with the information the story provides. The characters remain distinct-it's the disease.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

That's just your guesswork. We have no evidence at all that the poisoned Joker babies have his memory. They never look Bats in the eye and say "You really fell for the Clayface gag!" or anything similar. All of the stuff Joker does through the game is in Batman's head. That's literally the point. He's tripping on fear toxin and imagining what Joker would said and/or do in every situation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ayn rand hand job posted:

It's loving stupid either way

Oh, it absolutely is.

Discendo Vox posted:

It's also more consistent with the information the story provides. The characters remain distinct-it's the disease.

No it isn't. The scenes of the Joker showing what happened to Jason Todd only make sense if it is the Joker's memory. There is only one you can reasonably extrapolate as Batman having knowledge of and that is the one that the Joker explicitly was recording and later sent to Batman. "Oh, it's just Batman imagining what happened to Jason Todd" doesn't actually make much sense for that scene.

SonicRulez posted:

That's literally the point. He's tripping on fear toxin and imagining what Joker would said and/or do in every situation.

Except, again, we have a scene where he explicitly shows Batman what he did to Jason Todd in unambiguous detail. It was only recorded once (Bruce even refers to tape in singular when discussing it) while we have Todd's exact words that he was missing for MONTHS. The first scene is even Bruce already having recruited Tim to replace him. Those scenes lose all their point if they're just Batman imagining it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 30, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alternately it's just a handy narrative device that's less cumbersome than a regular flashback.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, it absolutely is.

No it isn't. The scenes of the Joker showing what happened to Jason Todd only make sense if it is the Joker's memory. There is only one you can reasonably extrapolate as Batman having knowledge of and that is the one that the Joker explicitly was recording and later sent to Batman. "Oh, it's just Batman imagining what happened to Jason Todd" doesn't actually make much sense for that scene.

Except, again, we have a scene where he explicitly shows Batman what he did to Jason Todd in unambiguous detail. It was only recorded once (Bruce even refers to tape in singular when discussing it) while we have Todd's exact words that he was missing for MONTHS. The first scene is even Bruce already having recruited Tim to replace him. Those scenes lose all their point if they're just Batman imagining it.

The part where he shot Jason in the head was all from the video Batman watched. The part with the crowbar in the movie studios and stringing him up with chains was all Batman's imagination. They don't lose their point at all. He was angsting over the fallen Robin and imagined what sick and cruel things Joker did to him once he'd captured him. It makes complete sense given what we've seen. A lot more sense than "Joker's memories were somehow transferred via his blood" and he was overriding Batman's brain. There are no scenes in the game that make MORE sense as Joker's soul possessing Batman than if you assume Batman is hallucinating. You know, since he's drugged with 2 different drugs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bruce would have knowledge of the timeline, including that Todd was being tortured for that period, and when he would have recruited Tim. The brand is also visible on the video.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

The part where he shot Jason in the head was all from the video Batman watched. The part with the crowbar in the movie studios and stringing him up with chains was all Batman's imagination. They don't lose their point at all. He was angsting over the fallen Robin and imagined what sick and cruel things Joker did to him once he'd captured him. It makes complete sense given what we've seen. A lot more sense than "Joker's memories were somehow transferred via his blood" and he was overriding Batman's brain. There are no scenes in the game that make MORE sense as Joker's soul possessing Batman than if you assume Batman is hallucinating. You know, since he's drugged with 2 different drugs.

This is a plot point where people explicitly being acting and thinking like the Joker. Not just Batman but other characters. "The Joker's soul" isn't implied but there is straight-up no argument that the Joker's capabilities are transferred over. We see non-Batman people doing things that they wouldn't have the skills to do. That means either the Joker's memories are transferred over or, an even more ridiculous explanation, that the Joker illness somehow grants Joker knowledge without context.

I mean this entire plot point is basically borrowed from Return of the Joker which did a very similar thing. It didn't give Tim Drake the Joker's soul. It just transferred elements of him to him. It ain't as extreme in Knight but even the physical transformation element is there. Batman's eyes glowing green aren't just a visual effect, Tim comments on it when he first relaizes Bruce is infected.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 30, 2015

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

CJacobs posted:

I caught them shooting at it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Toady posted:

I caught them shooting at it.

It is black.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Saint Freak posted:

It is black.

:vince:

I haven't seen most of these things aside from the cops quickly walking away from it and saying "we didn't touch it, honest".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beef Chief posted:

Arkham Knight should've pulled off the mask and revealed himself as Troy Baker, that would've been a pretty cool twist.

Am I the only one who thinks Troy Baker and Nolan North sound alike? So it's like I hear one voice all the time in games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Am I the only one who thinks Troy Baker and Nolan North sound alike? So it's like I hear one voice all the time in games.

Troy Baker and Nolan North actually have a fair bit of variety. The problem is that they're cast in very similar roles frequently. Troy Baker is asked to play the same role, using the same voice, all the drat time.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

It is black.

:drat:

Does the Jokermobile skin ever become available for use? If not, why does Rocksteady hate fun?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Troy Baker is the gruff, angsty guy. Nolan North is the gruff, goofy guy. Otherwise they're completely unrecognizable until you look them up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

:drat:

Does the Jokermobile skin ever become available for use? If not, why does Rocksteady hate fun?

You unlock it after you finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

Troy Baker and Nolan North actually have a fair bit of variety. The problem is that they're cast in very similar roles frequently. Troy Baker is asked to play the same role, using the same voice, all the drat time.

It's the Steve Blum Effect. He actually has range, but everybody tells him "Do the Spike/Wolverine voice!"

• Locked thread