Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

When are people going to stop making ugly pixel graphics games that look like nothing that was ever produced on old hardware? This is a legitimate question.

Like I've reached this point where when I see games that look like this I immediately forget they exist because there's nothing that can be done to salvage the irreparable laziness this 'style' brings forth.

I wasn't really trying to emulate any specific old hardware? The fun part about games for me is just making what I like and see if people want to buy it.

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

khwarezm posted:

Hasn't Bard's Tale IV reached its goal though and still has a week to go? Did somebody at IneXile express their disappointment at the amount of money they have received so far?

Pillars of Eternity also had a rather modest Kickstarter goal, but we also know that we would have had a much lesser game, if they had only hit minimum funding.
Bard's Tale is aiming for some impressive graphics, I can imagine it will be hard to get both that and any kind of impressive game at 1.3 million $

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Colon Semicolon posted:

When are people going to stop making ugly pixel graphics games that look like nothing that was ever produced on old hardware? This is a legitimate question.

Like I've reached this point where when I see games that look like this I immediately forget they exist because there's nothing that can be done to salvage the irreparable laziness this 'style' brings forth.

Did you watch the video in Coldrice's previous post? I mean, I get that you don't like the way that the game looks, but it 100% looks like something I might have played on my 386dx-33 in the early 90s.

Also, I think I've seen a post like this from one of the threads I lurk in that is fairly relevant.

"Art's a pretty self-serving thing. Most of it is not meant for anyone but the artist's own interests"

spoiler: that was you

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Oasx posted:

Pillars of Eternity also had a rather modest Kickstarter goal, but we also know that we would have had a much lesser game, if they had only hit minimum funding.
Bard's Tale is aiming for some impressive graphics, I can imagine it will be hard to get both that and any kind of impressive game at 1.3 million $
Good thing he doesn't think that either.

quote:

inXile has established revenue streams from its back catalog, including Wasteland 2, The Bard’s Tale, as well as the upcoming Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition. This revenue is invested directly back into the games we’re working on – we will be investing at least a matching $1.25 million should Bard's Tale IV fund. These revenue streams will allow us to improve the quality of Torment and The Bard’s Tale IV, and provides additional security to see the project through to completion.
I think he invested another 3 million into Wasteland? I have little doubt he'll do at least that much into Bards Tale in the end.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I forget if this thread does the occasional "mock a lovely project" thing, but I figure what looks like HuniePop by way of the gender-swap visual novel guy is probably worth pointing and laughing.

Especially since that last project is still unfinished years later.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Yo serious question: Why do people make thing I don't like?? Also I know nothing about thing but here's a list of ways to fix thing:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

I forget if this thread does the occasional "mock a lovely project" thing, but I figure what looks like HuniePop by way of the gender-swap visual novel guy is probably worth pointing and laughing.

Especially since that last project is still unfinished years later.

Well, at least the art is better than Gender Bender. I guess.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ghostlight posted:

How is that the issue when, as responses point out, they aren't trying to emulate anything.

He's conflating pixel art with 8-bit revivals. God help him if anyone starts emulating the ZX Spectrum in seriousness.

"One color? This is just lazy, there are literally tens of colors available!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I mean god did you guys see Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP I don't think the people who made that even played an 8-bit console, that was totally inaccurate. :bahgawd:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 30, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Memento posted:

Also, I think I've seen a post like this from one of the threads I lurk in that is fairly relevant.

"Art's a pretty self-serving thing. Most of it is not meant for anyone but the artist's own interests"

spoiler: that was you

That doesn't entirely count when you are attempting to make a product. you really want to try harder to make something appealing and look good.
Like you guys are being deliberately obtuse here.

Hope this explains what I'm trying to say better. i haven't pixelled in ages but whatev

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 30, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Colon Semicolon posted:

That doesn't entirely count when you are attempting to make a product. you really want to try harder to make something appealing and look good.
Like you guys are being deliberately obtuse here.

Hope this explains what I'm trying to say better. i haven't pixelled in ages but whatev

I like the first one the most.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I mean god did you guys see Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP I don't think the people who made that even played an 8-bit console, that was totally inaccurate. :bahgawd:

Superbrothers is seriously one of the worst games I've ever played.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Wendell posted:

You shut your whore mouth.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ravenkult posted:

You shut your whore mouth.

Well, it's polarizing at least.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wendell posted:

I will destroy you in the face.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hav posted:

Well, it's polarizing at least.

In the same way war crimes are, sure.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Colon Semicolon posted:

People can disagree about aesthetic preferences. It's obvious that you are not a fan of the flat shaded low resolution pixel art, but art is subjective. Personally, I care much more about consistency than visual fidelity, and more simple pixel art styles tend to look more consistent for indie games on small budgets.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whatever your opinion of Superbrothers is, it's a good example of the fact that Pixel Art has more goal in mind than just 'replicate old consoles'.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly it just reads like an example of how to make the most bare minimum of art and make it work (which honestly Kirby held that one for a long time)

Like I dunno I'm all about the dynamic and over-exaggerated stuff. It's not like I want straight up Metal Slug for every game, but you can really do alot without sacrificing dynamics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx2hm2Zhccs
most stuff uses 2, maybe 3 shades for characters there, but it looks really nice. (and nobody has to spend 50k to make it happen)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 30, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That looks absolutely atrocious though

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Uh oh Now Two Months Late, Star Citizen FPS Module Delayed Indefinitely

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

There's a bit of a difference between "delayed indefinitely" and "delayed and they can't set a precise date yet".

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Megazver posted:

There's a bit of a difference between "delayed indefinitely" and "delayed and they can't set a precise date yet".

We'll just have to wait and see if that's true.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Megazver posted:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That sure is an opinion, right there.

If that isn't a fakepost then I would be willing to bet the author wears a fedora (it's not a fedora you SJW rear end in a top hat, it's a trilby!) and carries a copy of Atlas Shrugged at all times, while not actually being a contributor to society or the economy at all.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 30, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Man that sounds like they took copy from Fox News and replaced Liberal with SJW, Mainstream Media with Gaming Media, and The Conservative Party with Star Citizen.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 30, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Please don't forget to send your monthly tithe to the Cult of Christ Robots.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

"[SJWs are] about to achieve stealth Global Governance through the Trans Pacific Partnership"

also: "females"

Please tell me that's fake.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Reading through the official forums I'm seeing a lot of references to being victims of the liberal gaming media so I'm going to lean towards real.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is it really that weird that that game would attract a lot of Randian weirdos?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Colon Semicolon posted:

I've had this same beef for years. It's like, people use "pixel art" as an excuse to not hire actual artists. I get that a lot of these games are produced on a budget like 1/20th the size of all the Genesis/Snes classics, and as such they can only do so much, but the games shouldn't look like Police Quest just because they're hiding behind pixel art as a style.

This is pixel art.

This is dumb bullshit.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Is it really that weird that that game would attract a lot of Randian weirdos?

Ah, I'm not familiar with their forum or whatever. I just assumed it was meant to be/imitate a blog post from a dev or something.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I've had this same beef for years. It's like, people use "pixel art" as an excuse to not hire actual artists. I get that a lot of these games are produced on a budget like 1/20th the size of all the Genesis/Snes classics, and as such they can only do so much, but the games shouldn't look like Police Quest just because they're hiding behind pixel art as a style.

This is pixel art.

This is dumb bullshit.

Yeah I like the bottom one better v0v

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

This is pixel art.

This is dumb bullshit.

I'm pretty sure that's all dumb bullshit.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Coldrice posted:

Yeah I like the bottom one better v0v

e: Look, objectively, if you didn't like Superbrothers, you're a piece of poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sad lack of appreciation for skeletal dragons ITT

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Super Time Force seems like a really strange thing to take a shot at. That game looks fantastic.

As far as skeleton dragons go, that one is only okay. C+ skeleton dragon at best.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Lurdiak posted:

This is pixel art.

This is dumb bullshit.

I've had this same beef for years. It's like, people use "cubism" as an excuse not to commission actual artists. I get that a lot of these paintings are products on a patronage 1/20th the size of classics like "Girl with a Pearl Earring", and as such they can only do so much, but the paintings shouldn't look like a square just because they're hiding behind cubism as a style.

This is art.

This is dumb bullshit

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

all art should be burned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Lurdiak posted:

This is pixel art.

This is dumb bullshit.

Are Breath of Fire 2 and Super Timer Force even somehow comparable? First one being a Capcom game with a crew who worked on the first title, the second one being something thought up on a game jam event?