Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Its a california rent joke. Rent is high in SF. That townhouse is a unbelievable find that could easily go for $4000 per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I think it is reasonable that an 11 year old girl didn't research comparative rents in the region that her family moved her to. She was comparing a smaller place that hadn't been decorated or fixed up to her old home that was familiar and comfortable. Of course she might judge it negatively.

Personally I liked the Lava short. It wasn't as good as what they usually do, but it was charming and had a real feeling of being a Hawaiian myth.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

KirbyKhan posted:

Its a california rent joke. Rent is high in SF. That townhouse is a unbelievable find that could easily go for $4000 per month.

I honestly don't think it's a joke. I mean, I live in California and am well aware of housing costs et cetera. I just don't think there was a joke there to be had. A kid isn't going to care. And I don't really think it could even be a hidden 'adult' joke, because okay, so what, they live in a potentially expensive place and...their daughter is unhappy by the move, ha ha ha?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I was 10 years old I moved from a two story house in Kansas with a backyard big enough to play baseball to a 1 story house in Los Angeles with a backyard that felt like an alleyway with grass, and 10 year old me absolutely hated it. As an adult now I'm glad I moved to Los Angeles.

I dunno if it was meant to be a joke, but it felt like a pretty good joke.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 1, 2015

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Drifter posted:

A kid isn't going to care.

I'm guessing you didn't move (far away from home, at least) when you were that age. They care a whole lot.

Edit: Oh, you meant she wouldn't care about the rent issue ... sorry. That's undoubtedly true. One's parents' money situation tends to be mysterious voodoo stuff until you move out on your own and finally realize how money actually works.

Chicken Butt fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 1, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chicken Butt posted:

I'm guessing you didn't move (far away from home, at least) when you were that age. They care a whole lot.

I'd care about what it looked like, not what its market value was.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

e: Also, there are five emotions, mapping to the "main" five creative people over Pixar's history (Docter, Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Brad Bird, and Lee Unkrich).

So Joe Ranft is Bing Bong then?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

With the concern over whether Riley properly understands the real estate market I'm now pretty sure that goons aren't born, but emerge fully grown from fluid sacs.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Surlaw posted:

With the concern over whether Riley properly understands the real estate market I'm now pretty sure that goons aren't born, but emerge fully grown from fluid sacs.

There goes my spore theory. :geno:

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Drifter posted:

I'd care about what it looked like, not what its market value was.

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood your post – I thought you meant that kids don't care about being moved far away from their hometowns.

They do care about that, obviously, that's kind of an essential plot point of the movie. Would be very hard to find a kid that cares about real estate values though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Drifter posted:

I honestly don't think it's a joke. I mean, I live in California and am well aware of housing costs et cetera. I just don't think there was a joke there to be had. A kid isn't going to care. And I don't really think it could even be a hidden 'adult' joke, because okay, so what, they live in a potentially expensive place and...their daughter is unhappy by the move, ha ha ha?

I didn't think it was a "joke" in the sense that it was supposed to provoke like, actual laughs, but I do think that it was a kind of Easter Egg for adults who have lived in or around metro California. They certainly went to more trouble than they had to to make their townhouse look like a very specific (and very expensive) neighborhood.

It's not that I expected Riley to know it was expensive, or expected her to react positively, I just was agreeing with the guy who said that since I've lived there I was like "holy poo poo I'd kill for that place".

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I think it is reasonable that an 11 year old girl didn't research comparative rents in the region that her family moved her to

Chicken Butt posted:

Edit: Oh, you meant she wouldn't care about the rent issue ... sorry. That's undoubtedly true. One's parents' money situation tends to be mysterious voodoo stuff until you move out on your own and finally realize how money actually works.

Surlaw posted:

And I'm pretty sure that goons extrapolate the most ridiculous extreme position possible from every post.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The joke is that the new house is a shithole.

The meta-joke is that adults are willing to pay millions of dollars to live in a shithole.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Sounds like Riley and company should check their privilege.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

computer parts posted:

The joke is that the new house is a shithole.

The meta-joke is that adults are willing to pay millions of dollars to live in a shithole.

If they were going with that they should have had them move into Brooklyn then.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Surlaw posted:

Folks are saying that they - i.e. the adult people watching the film - understand the real estate market.

The movie is entirely about a fairly rich kid and her dad's soon-to-be-massively profitable tech startup - which is not that unusual. It's the present-day equivalent of the usual Disney Princess.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'd like to add a note of appreciation for the made-up business names that are 100% believable: Brang (What did you bring?) and Yeast of Eden.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

U motherfuckre

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Vegetable posted:

What does it say about depression that it relies on the adventures of yellow and blue blobs of things in your head to fix you? I don't think the film is meant to say anything about mental illness; if it is, then it's not doing a great job at that.

It's obviously not a movie about the mental illness of depression but the way it portrays how "core memories" can turn sad and stay that way, and Joy being taken away from headquarters where her emotions ended up "not being able to make her feel anything" really resonated with me.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I saw this last week with my wife because of the good reviews. While I'm usually up for any non-Cars Pixar, this concept just didn't excite me going in, but the buzz got me to give it a chance.

I was pretty happy with it even if I thought it was a bit by-the-numbers. It was a cute film that had its fair share of emotional moments. I wouldn't rank it in the top tier of Pixar films (Wall-E/UP), but it wasn't too far outside. I thought it was kind of weird that Riley was the only character whose emotions were both male and female. I assume its a byproduct of the fact that the non-emotion/non-Riley characters aren't particularly developed, so they wanted to hit the limited notes they were aiming for hard. Still, it was a little odd.z

Going in my wife had a lot more reservations than I did. She has a PhD in cognitive psychology, and she studies memory. However, she read an article about the film makers consulting experts, so she decided to give it a shot. I think she was presently surprised at how they did even if there were inaccuracies to make for more cinematic moments (your memories don't just disappear, but that would undercut the Bing Bong scene if you stuck to it).

All-in-all, I'd say it was worth seeing.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
This was a really uneven film, there are parts that are pure brilliance, and other things that are just sorta sloppy, the trampoline with the fantasy boyfriends things wasn't very good, which when something like that mars your climax it sorta taints everything else.

Running Joy and Sadness through the abstraction chamber was pretty brilliant, if just because that's what this whole movie was doing anyway. The ability to walk the line of being extremely self aware and not annoying was really great. Just wish the weaker moments had gotten some attention.

Did anyone else get the feeling that Bing Bong was written with Dom DeLuise in mind?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Anti-Citizen posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that Bing Bong was written with Dom DeLuise in mind?

Only when he faded away.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yoshifan823 posted:

I could buy that, actually. This is a really interesting reading and I really wanna see the movie again/learn more about Pixar's history so I can click it together a little more snugly.

e: okay, yeah, I just googled Joe Ranft not knowing very much about him and this is very possible.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Anti-Citizen posted:

Yeah

Mostly cause he reminded me of Koosalagoopagoop and I could remember him but not where I'd heard Richard Kind's voice. Turned out it wasn't anything animated, his voice just sounds like it should be animated.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Chicken Butt posted:

Yeah, sorry, I misunderstood your post – I thought you meant that kids don't care about being moved far away from their hometowns.

They do care about that, obviously, that's kind of an essential plot point of the movie. Would be very hard to find a kid that cares about real estate values though

For that matter, I imagine it'd also be hard to find a kid who cares about the things that make people tolerate San Francisco housing prices.

precision posted:

If they were going with that they should have had them move into Brooklyn then.

But then the "You ruined pizza!" scene couldn't have happened.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

But then the "You ruined pizza!" scene couldn't have happened.

Agreed – that would have instead been a scene of Joy saying, "Congratulations, Brooklyn – you have made pizza… unbelievably awesome!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Good point, California ruining pizza was one of the funniest parts of the movie because it is so, so loving true.

That said there is one pizza joint in San Diego that I've found that actually totally rocks and is two blocks from our apartment. Surf Rider Pizza, check it out!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I was at Subway and some guy in front of me was getting a kids meal. He told the guy behind the counter (middle aged Hispanic guy, not likely to have seen the movie) that it was for his son, so he grabbed the Sadness tote bag because blue = boy. Made me chuckle, and also appreciate that the emotions aren't really colored coded in a gendered way.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Joy is colour coded to be Marge Simpson.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Joy is colour coded to be Marge Simpson.

Only in some instances of rule34 with Sadness.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
I really liked this movie. After five years of sequels and princess movies from Pixar, this was the first original thing they've made since Up, which was, unsurprisingly, directed by the same person. John Lasseter is the worst thing for Pixar right now as all he cares about is building franchises, and they need to keep him and his ilk (I'm looking at you, Lee Unkrich) far away from the director's chair if they want to make original films.

I thought that the movie's overall message about how growing up comes with emotional complexity was gracefully done, especially in the relationship between Joy and Sadness. As has been said here before, Lewis Black and the peeks inside the mother and father's heads were the best parts of the movie; that dinner scene was one of the best-written pieces of a movie I've seen all year, as it turned what would otherwise be a very standard "You guys just don't understand!" conversation into an action scene.

As a native of that city, the little jokes about San Francisco were spot-on. They snuck in a joke about bears!

Surlaw posted:

And that only came after a page of argument over whether the 11-year-old girl in the movie is bisexual!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The movie is about child psychology.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I was the only one who laughed at the bear joke in the audience. :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Steve Yun posted:

I'm curious how toys are doing for this movie. It seems like a not-very-marketable movie. At Subway they had tote bags, each one with a different Emotion on it, and I thought, why in the world would anyone want Fear or Disgust or Sadness merchandise?

Talking Anger toys however, make too much sense.

It's me. I'm the one that wants a Sadness plush. :3:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spatula City posted:

That's like a half-step away from being a furry. Get your poo poo together, guys.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I came to this subforum for the first time to discuss Inside Out because it resonated with me so strongly because I was depressed for most of my life, and then I left after there was a multi-page argument about the sexuality of the child character even after the creator said that there was nothing in the movie to do with her sexuality. Creepy.

Still, awesome movie and I can't wait to buy it on blue-ray.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I came to this subforum for the first time to discuss Inside Out because it resonated with me so strongly because I was depressed for most of my life, and then I left after there was a multi-page argument about the sexuality of the child character even after the creator said that there was nothing in the movie to do with her sexuality. Creepy.

Still, awesome movie and I can't wait to buy it on blue-ray.

Hi, you must be new to the Cinema Discusso forums. :)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Spatula City posted:

Disgust is my spirit animal.

The Disney toy machine will absolutely destroy with this movie. I dont think it'll hit Frozen levels of merch saturation, but it'll do really really well.

Anyone seen how Tumblr reacted to this movie? I see this film giving flimsy validation that the headmate community will latch on to. Its like the 11 year old demographic from 10 years ago never stopped buying.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the idea that a child being LGBT and aware of said LGBT-ness is somehow creepy needs to die yesterday, regardless of whether it applies to this movie.

def want a Sadness plush though

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KirbyKhan posted:

Anyone seen how Tumblr reacted to this movie? I see this film giving flimsy validation that the headmate community will latch on to. Its like the 11 year old demographic from 10 years ago never stopped buying.

e: seriously -

computer parts fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

the idea that a child being LGBT and aware of said LGBT-ness is somehow creepy needs to die yesterday, regardless of whether it applies to this movie.

def want a Sadness plush though

I'm open to the idea that Riley is something other than 100% hetero, which is well past due, I just don't think the argument was convincing.

• Locked thread