Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

karma_coma posted:

Had a girlfriend from the Quad Cities and she had the worlds most annoying Midwest nasal bullshit accent but only when she got mad and I made her mad a lot !!!!

even jastiger would be pissed at your tiny dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

Now there's also Vietnamese that we hate so drat much.

haha, mark wahlberg is from boston you little scamp *tousles hair*

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

it's a college football rivalry and it even has its own wikipedia article, way to be giant loving nerdo, nerdo

I am 100% sure its gophers v badgers and no one gives a gently caress about Iowa

source: I went to college in MN

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i do like the idea of quad cities tho. i also like the idea of quint cities. and more cities.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
lol iowa is that state still around?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

you irl posted:

lol iowa is that state still around?

pretty sure it's a wholly owned subsidiary of monsanto now

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ok good, I've got reports lined up for all of you that dare insult the great state of Iowa in the thread about the South. Derails are unacceptable!

Modest Mao posted:

I'm from MN and I looked at some iowa universities during highschool. I showed up and they were like "heh MN boy coming down here, you must get a lot of hate" and I was like ??? and they explained that iowa people believe Iowa and MN have a huge rivalry.

Iowa's biggest rival is unaware the rivalry even exists, that's how pathetic and backwoods iowa is. I don't even know what the capitol of iowa is lmao

ps. that porkchop was sad as gently caress

I can help you with that, sir/maam

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Iowa is famous for nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZZ6JD0g9Y

In other news, here is some important historical points relevant to the OP.
http://reverbpress.com/news/kkk-rally-sc-support-confederate-flag-white-culture-not-racist-symbol/

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i watched your video and he neglected to mention your beloved iowa chop

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Literally the only college football rivalries that matter is that the SEC hates everyone else in the SEC. Especially Florida.

Also, the only college football teams that matter are in the SEC. And sometimes Oregon and Ohio.

Thanks for reading my 100% correct fact-based post.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3GT9UN7nDo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

didnt iowa state almost do a thing in the NCAA tournament this past year

if by "almost do a thing" you mean "lose in the first round" then yes, yes they did! :downs:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Modest Mao posted:

I'm from MN and I looked at some iowa universities during highschool. I showed up and they were like "heh MN boy coming down here, you must get a lot of hate" and I was like ??? and they explained that iowa people believe Iowa and MN have a huge rivalry.

Iowa's biggest rival is unaware the rivalry even exists, that's how pathetic and backwoods iowa is. I don't even know what the capitol of iowa is lmao

ps. that porkchop was sad as gently caress

the capitol of iowa is, get this

the iowa state capitol

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Move over, Shark Week. The new summer craze is Varg Week.

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

The only thing sadder and more boring than Iowa is that guy who's proud of it lol

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Decrepus posted:

You retart, didn't you read that it is seasoned and has the bone on it!

flat out lies. i don't appreciate this, rear end in a top hat. not one bit

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

the capitol of iowa is, get this

the iowa state capitol

looks nice

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Remember that confederate flag rally where the idiots rear-ended each other's trucks?

Well, here they are:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
A black friend of mine grew up in atlanta w me and lived in the south his whole life and just moved to wisconsin earlier this year. He says he has experienced more racism in just 3 months there than he ever did in the south and that it's even more segregated than most areas of the south.

This isnt the first anecdote of the sort i have heard from friends that have moved to the north, to LA, to the midwest. It's almost as if racism is everywhere in the USA...

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Well it's Wisconsin's first black guy. All those cheese eaters are probably thrilled to finally get a chance to say racist words at that actual race.

They don't have bigot fatigue like southerners do.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
He is black and gay and moved up w his (brand new) black husband so ... Lol wisconson aint know what hit em

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

to not be technical at all and instead focus on the salient point, the problem with the confederate flag is not that the people who flew it owned slaves, the problem is that the entire reason it ever existed was because the United States was starting to come around to the fact that owning slaves is wrong

Even worse than that, almost everywhere it did come down after the civil war. It went back up later, to protest the civil rights movement. The specific one most in the news, at the SC capital, went up shortly after the Brown v Board of Education mandating desegregation of schools. It was a symbolic protest like Governor Wallace blocking the schoolhouse door with his own body to make sure no black people got in to learn. The only bit of "heritage" it was celebrating was one where whites were legally superior to blacks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

to not be technical at all and instead focus on the salient point, the problem with the confederate flag is not that the people who flew it owned slaves, the problem is that the entire reason it ever existed was because the United States was starting to come around to the fact that owning slaves is wrong less profitable than employing wage laborers

fixed that for you. the north didn't give a poo poo about freeing slaves so long as the south was profitable to northern exporters

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

fixed that for you. the north didn't give a poo poo about freeing slaves so long as the south was profitable to northern exporters

yes that's what the underground railroad and abolition movement were all about

making them dollas

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yes that's what the underground railroad and abolition movement were all about

making them dollas

yeah, people had been doing that poo poo for a hundred years prior and the norths response was fugitive slave laws, not invading the south and freeing the salves. i guess i should have been more specific in saying, no one in the north who had any kind of power gave a poo poo about slaves until there was an economic incentive

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
The "North" never invaded the "south" to free the slaves. The south seceded because they saw that soon the number of free states would outnumber them.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
wow its almost like money was actually the issue behind it all... makes u think

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The "North" never invaded the "south" to free the slaves. The south seceded because they saw that soon the number of free states would outnumber them.

the south seceded because Abe Lincoln was elected (without even being on the ballot in the south lol). lincoln was the obama of the 19th century

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Which is why it's not as bad for having been a confederate flag per se, as much as that it was brought back into service in the 50's specifically as a racist symbol.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
such murky intentions, clouded by self interest

maybe the truth is really.... somewhere in the middle?

oh no wait I still like the government that didn't succeed in armed rebellion to keep owning humans as chattel a lil better

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

wow its almost like money was actually the issue behind it all... makes u think

its why we went to war with britain and its why we went to war with ourselves

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Tasteful Nude posted:

oh no wait I still like the government that didn't succeed in armed rebellion to keep owning humans as chattel a lil better

lol don't pretend like the North was so much better when there were still slave states in the Union fighting the South; and the Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in rebellious states (not all slave states were in rebellion!)

poo poo was about money and power and lol if you think otherwise. it was about keeping the union together by any means necessary. the war goal became 'free the slaves' midway through the war as a propaganda tactic on the Union's part to raise war enthusiasm

the fact remains that afterwards black people still lived in effective slavery. yeah it wasn't chattel slavery but on the flip side they still did all the work for rich white people while profiting not at all.

yeah the abolition movement existed but that wasn't anything to do with the government, that was private citizens stepping up. don't credit the government with their hard work.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 1, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fetus Tree posted:

my biggest issue with tater tot casserole is that most of the recipes i see are so bad and if youre gonna have a potato+grease/cheese casserole theres gotta be so many more interesting ways to do it

but, midwest

That is literally just Shepard's Pie as made by Sonic

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Moridin920 posted:

lol don't pretend like the North was so much better when there were still slave states in the Union fighting the South; and the Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in rebellious states (not all slave states were in rebellion!)

poo poo was about money and power and lol if you think otherwise. it was about keeping the union together by any means necessary. the war goal became 'free the slaves' midway through the war as a propaganda tactic on the Union's part to raise war enthusiasm

the fact remains that afterwards black people still lived in effective slavery. yeah it wasn't chattel slavery but on the flip side they still did all the work for rich white people while profiting not at all.

yeah the abolition movement existed but that wasn't anything to do with the government, that was private citizens stepping up. don't credit the government with their hard work.

Im just not into being all that nuanced balanced and apologetic where a rebellious Confederacy founded upon chattel slavery by constitutional mandate is concerned

especially in the "lol south" thread

im not really saying you're wrong, except maybe I do think the North was a lot better, though maybe not "so much" i donno

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Im just not into being all that nuanced balanced and apologetic where a rebellious Confederacy founded upon chattel slavery by constitutional mandate is concerned

especially in the "lol south" thread

im not really saying you're wrong, except maybe I do think the North was a lot better, though maybe not "so much" i donno

they were definitely better and the south was definitely trash I just hate the idea of the North taking it upon themselves to go to war to free the slaves because they all knew it was wrong and etc. etc. when in reality it was just unacceptable to lose half the nation's territory and they were going to go to war over it even if the South seceded and freed all their slaves on their own.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Moridin920 posted:

they were definitely better and the south was definitely trash I just hate the idea of the North taking it upon themselves to go to war to free the slaves because they all knew it was wrong and etc. etc. when in reality it was just unacceptable to lose half the nation's territory and they were going to go to war over it even if the South seceded and freed all their slaves on their own.

if youre the victor you might as well write a nice narrative tho

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Moridin920 posted:

that's definitely true and lincoln said as much, he literally said if he could avoid war by promising not to free the slaves he would,and he literally also promised that during his election campaign

but the trend of states individually abolishing slavery and territories choosing to enter the country as free states is what backed the south into a corner

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

if youre the victor you might as well write a nice narrative tho

yeah

Ultimately we should be even more pissed at the South because they took the very real question of 'well if the states voluntarily join this union why can't they leave without having to fight a war over it?' and turned it into some racist bullshit and now the whole question of succession is forever quashed (seemingly) because it will always be associated with terrible lovely Southern values.

that's definitely true and lincoln said as much, he literally said if he could avoid war by promising not to free the slaves he would,and he literally also promised that during his election campaign

but the trend of states individually abolishing slavery and territories choosing to enter the country as free states is what backed the south into a corner

Well yeah, they saw the writing on the wall RE slavery and that's what caused them to want to secede in the first place.

I just sometimes feel like the coasts should secede from the idiot states but it won't ever happen.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
the souths good but the people are NOT good

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
any decent 'if the south had won' books out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU