Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Kinematics aren't just important dog fighting, they're also incredibly important in beyond visual range combat. The goal is to a) defect your opponent first b) close to range asap (which means maximising speed and altitude) c) fire your missiles d) get the gently caress out of the dodge before the enemy has a chance to shoot back. You can't do this with an underpowered piece of poo poo like the F-35, especially considering it already has terrible range and guzzles fuel when trying to go anywhere in a hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The list of poo poo that is wrong with the F35 is so big that "not being able to dogfight" is further down the list than you'd think.

Yeah there used to be a big D&D thread on it with a fascinating list. Things like not being able to take off on hot days because the fuel gets too hot for the F-35 to use. Computer system vulnerabilities, can't fly for longer than 2 hours without being at risk of crashing (literally I think there were time brackets within which chance % for crash increased massively), and so on and so forth. It's like watching the idiots from Snatch stagger around barely managing to not kill themselves scene after scene only it's not so funny anymore because you remember that the LNALP (LNP/ALP) for some reason gave them tens of billions of taxpayer dollars (it'll outstrip the $12billion for sure).

e: As of 2014 we've allocated $12bn to dig a firepit and then already allocated a further $12bn to manage the burning of our money

(Joe Hockey sure extricated us from that budget emergency super quick, hey)

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 1, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

open24hours posted:

You're talking about someone who is a member of a government that facilitates the abuse of refugees on island prisons, and threatens to take away people's citizenship without judicial oversight. If you think offensive tweets should disqualify someone from being given a voice but that shouldn't then you really need to reevaluate your priorities.

I'm happy with my priorities just the way they are.

As I posted last week the ABC gifted the Government something very special in the form of Zaky Mallah on Q&A. It was a significant factor in why the issues you raise pretty much sunk without a trace before the winter Parliamentary break.

I think young Zaky has all the voice he needs through channels I don't pay for. The ABC has admitted their gently caress up. They just need to find smarter ways to tackle the issues and drop all this "gotcha" poo poo.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'm happy with my priorities just the way they are.

As I posted last week the ABC gifted the Government something very special in the form of Zaky Mallah on Q&A. It was a significant factor in why the issues you raise pretty much sunk without a trace before the winter Parliamentary break.

I think young Zaky has all the voice he needs through channels I don't pay for. The ABC has admitted their gently caress up. They just need to find smarter ways to tackle the issues and drop all this "gotcha" poo poo.

The only gently caress up the ABC has admitted is letting him ask the question in the studio, rather than a pre-recording/video link. It was an issue of physical security not what he had to ask you obtuse gently caress.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Kim Jong ill posted:

The only gently caress up the ABC has admitted is letting him ask the question in the studio, rather than a pre-recording/video link. It was an issue of physical security not what he had to ask you obtuse gently caress.

Please go and take a walk in your local "hall of mirrors" for a bit.

Tony Jones posted:

And finally, the Q&A team were not aware at the time Zaky Mallah appeared of the very offensive misogynistic tweet that he put out about two female journalists. Had we known, we would have rejected his participation.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Please go and take a walk in your local "hall of mirrors" for a bit.

I'm sorry, I still don't see where the ABC have said that what he had to say, based solely on it's own merits, was inappropriate.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
You're posting it wrong. It needs to be non timg'd, like this:

Oh, and since everything else going to poo poo, have a kitten standing up for itself:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Graic Gabtar posted:

Serious question from someone who knows little about unions.

If employers are all evil why has union membership tanked in the last.. I dunno, 30 years?

I think a big factor in falling Union membership numbers is the increasingly obnoxious and apathetic attitude of the younger working class. A lot of union arguments are too 'long'/'complex' and 'boring' to fit into a 7 second vine video or 3 word slogan so they just tune out to it.
Theses days young people in a unionised work force are far less likely to be as militant as their predecessors were. I think it just reflects the attitude of today's world. They won't care about unionisation until they are stripped of their job and then go "hang on a minute where was the union?". A lot of financial members also do practically nothing except pay their dues and tick the box, with little or no involvement in anything/

I worked with my ex-girlfriend on a ship and she refused to join the union purely because she was a tightass and didn't like the idea of paying her loving $10 a week membership dues or whatever it was, regardless of how hard I tried to persuade her otherwise. She was, however, quite happy to enjoy to good money and leave balance that had been won over by the hard work of negotiating unions.

I'm not sure about other industries, but I know that there are probably a couple of unions out there that aren't 'Left' so to speak, I THINK AWU is one of them? I could be wrong.

With the LNP's increasing attack on unionised workforces I like to think that it may stir up a little bit more activity (I am probably one of those swept up in the new wave). As far as shipping alone goes, if Truss gets his way with the deregulation then we are entirely hosed and we have a foundering union fighting incredibly hard to maintain the jobs we have.

TO answer your question I think a lot of people just don't appreciate the work their respective unions do for them, and have little interest in learning, basically.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 1, 2015

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
"Border Force commissioner says operational matters won't be discussed publicly
The commissioner of Australia's newly created Border Force says details of the agency's "operational matters" will not be discussed publicly."

so.. literally 0% accountability and due process??

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
For Mafia Goons and Auspol newbies:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728873
Format Wars will run when Birdstrike's game concludes. Signups are open.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Yeah there used to be a big D&D thread on it with a fascinating list. Things like not being able to take off on hot days because the fuel gets too hot for the F-35 to use. Computer system vulnerabilities, can't fly for longer than 2 hours without being at risk of crashing (literally I think there were time brackets within which chance % for crash increased massively), and so on and so forth. It's like watching the idiots from Snatch stagger around barely managing to not kill themselves scene after scene only it's not so funny anymore because you remember that the LNALP (LNP/ALP) for some reason gave them tens of billions of taxpayer dollars (it'll outstrip the $12billion for sure).

e: As of 2014 we've allocated $12bn to dig a firepit and then already allocated a further $12bn to manage the burning of our money

(Joe Hockey sure extricated us from that budget emergency super quick, hey)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694048

It's now a GBS thread.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Lascivious Sloth posted:

"Border Force commissioner says operational matters won't be discussed publicly
The commissioner of Australia's newly created Border Force says details of the agency's "operational matters" will not be discussed publicly."

so.. literally 0% accountability and due process??

This national security magic wand is fantastic, I can't wait til we go full fascist and start locking up unwanted ethnic minorities in concentration camps beyond our national borders to minimise legal footprint.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

To be fair, it was always a gbs thread

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Les Affaires posted:

To be fair, it was always a gbs thread

yeah right and we've always been at war with eurasia too

I actually have no idea if it was ever in D&D, i just assumed because... GBS

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

what the gently caress posted:

I think a big factor in falling Union membership numbers is the increasingly obnoxious and apathetic attitude of the younger working class. A lot of union arguments are too 'long'/'complex' and 'boring' to fit into a 7 second vine video or 3 word slogan so they just tune out to it.

:allears:

kids these days, huh? that's such a copout, and perfectly demonstrates the way older workers tend to undervalue and disparage their younger counterparts.

it's actually because most younger workers don't know what the union movement really stands for; the media constantly shows "union thugs" and big businesses crying about what bullies the unions are, followed by corrupt union boss after corrupt union boss. Of course, in reality, the truth is that unions are largely beneficial for most workers to be in despite opportunistic corruption; most workers (not just young ones) don't really understand the amount of work that is (and should be) happening behind the scenes to protect their conditions/pay/etc.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yep. "Corrupt union boss", "union thugs" etc are all great super-impactive buzzwords that will stick and instantly tarnish a union to an otherwise uneducated layman.

Really disheartening to go to our monthly branch meetings and see our State Secretary obviously massively frustrated at the poor turnouts but with endless expectation from the general membership that the union is gonna help us all and pruh-tect err jerbs

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Yep. "Corrupt union boss", "union thugs" etc are all great buzzwords that will stick and instantly tarnish a union to an otherwise uneducated layman.

Really disheartening to go to our monthly branch meetings and see our State Secretary obviously massively frustrated at the poor turnouts but with endless expectation from the general membership that the union is gonna help us all and pruh-tect err jerbs

It just really shits me when people complain about how terrible younger workers are these days, when generally it's just about lack of work experience and inability of workplaces to adapt to the quickly changing technological context (as well as, in this case, the general anti-unionist media environment) rather than stupidity or attention span.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This national security magic wand is fantastic, I can't wait til we go full fascist and start locking up unwanted ethnic minorities in concentration camps beyond our national borders to minimise legal footprint.

:stonk:

I'm not certain how seriously to take this post.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

There also needs to be a "which union is for me" internet page, where you type in the company you work for, and it spits out the union that deals with that company. It doesn't help that many unions are reeeeally behind the times in terms of internet use/campaigning. The only reason I know which union is relevant to me is because a family member is in the same sector and pointed me towards it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Sorry, I just picked up on your dig at me. I'm in my mid twenties, so I'm not 'older'. In my industry I have worked with a lot of people from all age brackets and I recognise it is indeed true that there is not as much interest from the younger members as there is from the older, but this of course could probably just me a maturation issue and they come into it later on. But even hearing reports that at the last couple of meetings more than half of the turnout has been from veteran/retired members as opposed to the younger/active crowd. I agree though that the general public is copping an absolute earful from the media regarding unions, any article in the Herald Sun et al about bikies/underworld crap will try desperately cram an irrelevant mention of unions in there somewhere.

Again though, my industry is relatively homogenised and getting smaller and smaller as we lose ships to foreign vessels, so people are quick to become familiar and have ample opportunity to be educated as to the union from older members that they are literally living with for weeks on end.

I will say there is lots of youth involvement within our union, plenty. But as a lot of older members said it's getting hard today with a lot of us knowing that it's getting really cut throat and there's a lot of people just going every-man-for-himself and undermining the work the union is doing to provide jobs to their members.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

It'll never happen here (because, legally speaking, it's happening over there)

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Sorry, I just picked up on your dig at me. I'm in my mid twenties, so I'm not 'older'. In my industry I have worked with a lot of people from all age brackets and I recognise it is indeed true that there is not as much interest from the younger members as there is from the older, but this of course could probably just me a maturation issue and they come into it later on. But even hearing reports that at the last couple of meetings more than half of the turnout has been from veteran/retired members as opposed to the younger/active crowd. I agree though that the general public is copping an absolute earful from the media regarding unions, any article in the Herald Sun et al about bikies/underworld crap will try desperately cram an irrelevant mention of unions in there somewhere.

Again though, my industry is relatively homogenised and getting smaller and smaller as we lose ships to foreign vessels, so people are quick to become familiar and have ample opportunity to be educated as to the union from older members that they are literally living with for weeks on end.

I will say there is lots of youth involvement within our union, plenty. But as a lot of older members said it's getting hard today with a lot of us knowing that it's getting really cut throat and there's a lot of people just going every-man-for-himself and undermining the work the union is doing to provide jobs to their members.

Didn't mean to dig at you or call you ald, sorry. I was speaking more of the general attitude of older workers towards younger ones, as if being young in and of itself is somehow a character flaw. The idea that we have seven-second attention spans, no work ethic, are job snobs who don't want to work hard, etc etc.

I have been reading too many online news coments.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

wtf, spearmint leaves own. yet another reason to hate first dog.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Mithranderp posted:

Didn't mean to dig at you or call you ald, sorry. I was speaking more of the general attitude of older workers towards younger ones, as if being young in and of itself is somehow a character flaw. The idea that we have seven-second attention spans, no work ethic, are job snobs who don't want to work hard, etc etc.

I have been reading too many online news coments.

I'm probably equally as guilty as a lot of other members my age. I come and go, my personal life gets well and truly in the way of any consistent union activity so I feel like a oval office.

I think the proof is kind of in the pudding though with falling memberships and less apparent interest of current, employed and financial members to even show up at their stop work meetings to even find out what the gently caress is going on in their own industry or workplace.

Are you in a union, Mithranderp?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

I'm probably equally as guilty as a lot of other members my age. I come and go, my personal life gets well and truly in the way of any consistent union activity so I feel like a oval office.

I think the proof is kind of in the pudding though with falling memberships and less apparent interest of current, employed and financial members to even show up at their stop work meetings to even find out what the gently caress is going on in their own industry or workplace.

Are you in a union, Mithranderp?

I am a full time uni student who works casually. I have close to no disposable income so union fees aren't really a thing I can pay at the moment. But the minute I graduate and (dream of dreams) find a full time job, I will definitely join a union.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Kids don't join unions because their minimum wage casual non fixed hours job leaves them too financially unstable to commit the membership fee.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If there was a union for IT/tech workers, I'd join. If the IWW accepted online membership registration (and not insist I go 32KM across the city to a meeting), I'd join.

Alas...

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
That, or their union is the SDA and they end up wondering what the hell their money is even going to every time their union signs them up for a universally worse contract that Fairwork has to come in and fix up, or lobbies to prevent same-sex marriage.

I didn't parse it at first but soon after I got my current job, SDA negotiated away saturday award pay somehow.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

d3rt posted:

If there was a union for IT/tech workers, I'd join. If the IWW accepted online membership registration (and not insist I go 32KM across the city to a meeting), I'd join.

Alas...

"If the union set up shop in my living room such that i just had to roll out of bed, put on a towel and attend a meeting, I'd join".

This is how Worker Rights Are Defended

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Union fees shouldn't exist for students :v:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Les Affaires posted:

"If the union set up shop in my living room such that i just had to roll out of bed, put on a towel and attend a meeting, I'd join".

This is how Worker Rights Are Defended

More or less. also thing is that for workers in our union a lot of the time members are incredibly remote and travelling to meetings is quite hard. For us our branch is at the north of the state, to travel is 3/4 hours.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Anidav posted:

Union fees shouldn't exist for students :v:

Or at least be tax-deductable. I'm not sure if you still can but I've been able to claim back my union dues on the last few tax returns I've done.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://m.smh.com.au/comment/comment-eric-abetz--on-gay-marriage-20150701-gi26gi.html

Ericabetz having a fit over same sex marriage, cites Antonin Scalia as to why we mustn'0t allow it here

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Also literally "think of the children"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The decision in the USA is an interpretation of the highest law in the land. The other is politicians having a vote. 2 different things.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Seagull posted:

Kids don't join unions because their minimum wage casual non fixed hours job leaves them too financially unstable to commit the membership fee.

Yep. A lot of them also have no presence, I think United voice sends me a magazine maybe twice a year and occasionally posts on their Facebook. Plus hospitality staff are bumped to the liquor and hospitality division not UV itself. I also asked them in emails how I can be more involved and that I was and am working with hundreds of exploited workers and they basically ignored that part of my email to give me a one sentence reply to something else. I was really proud to join the union but they haven't given more than a wet fart of a letter to my previous employer who owes me over 10k in unpaid overtime (almost a year now). I guess I should call them and ask how I can be more involved but whenever I have spoken on the phone I have mentioned my interest and it just doesn't seem like they care.

I wanted to use this underpayment claim as proof the unions can help the people I work with. None of them have any hope and if I had a win it would make a world of difference. I really really wanted to be an active member of the union but if they aren't going to bother I don't really know what to do. You'd think if a new young member joined up and was enthusiastic about the union you'd at least suggest some ways they can help out or be active.

They need more of a social media presence and to introduce a variety of membership fees so that students and part time/casual workers can afford it. $20 a fortnight doesn't seem like much but when you're barely scraping by while studying and working absolute poo poo jobs, paying stupid amounts of rent for a dodgy room in a sharehouse it is a little hard to justify. Especially when you can lose that job really at any time. Honestly they should give more of a poo poo about communicating with their members or what do they expect? I posted before how I went to the union rally here in Sydney and ran into UV who hadn't posted or sent out anything at all about the rally to their members, why not? All I ever really see from them is their poo poo labor party involvement.

Edit: they are tax deductible which surprises a lot of people when I tell them. It still is hard to lose the money upfront when you're in casual employment, as a union that mainly covers casual workers UV should really understand that.

turdbucket fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 1, 2015

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

I'm not sure about other industries, but I know that there are probably a couple of unions out there that aren't 'Left' so to speak, I THINK AWU is one of them? I could be wrong.

AWU are a scab union of the highest order, second only to the SDA in fuckery. TWU are right-wing but reasonably militant. AMWU go back and forth, as do the CFMEU (CFMEU are right or left wing depending on which industry - Energy donate to the Greens, Forestry are practically Liberals).

FBEU are hardcore, as are NUW. Teacher's Federation are lovely and lefty, but not at all militant, and my union (the NTEU) are far-left well-meaning cottonballs. CPSU/PSA would cave in enterprise bargaining in unis before even the NTEU did, but then they go and do something like declare a general strike across the entirety of Centrelink. It's weird.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lid posted:

Also literally "think of the children"

quote:

Study after study, time and time again, shows that children benefit from having a father and mother.

This is bullshit, and the studies only demonstrates that having a mother and father generally has better outcomes for the children than single parents.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Quantum Mechanic posted:

AWU are a scab union of the highest order, second only to the SDA in fuckery. TWU are right-wing but reasonably militant. AMWU go back and forth, as do the CFMEU (CFMEU are right or left wing depending on which industry - Energy donate to the Greens, Forestry are practically Liberals).

FBEU are hardcore, as are NUW. Teacher's Federation are lovely and lefty, but not at all militant, and my union (the NTEU) are far-left well-meaning cottonballs. CPSU/PSA would cave in enterprise bargaining in unis before even the NTEU did, but then they go and do something like declare a general strike across the entirety of Centrelink. It's weird.

poo poo I think NUW covered my last job but not my current job. I wish I could join one of the cool unions :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
When I was a poor student I used to work as a casual pool life guard. I was pretty tempted to go join the union but couldn't make the meeting to discuss the changes management were forcing on us and everyone was really unhappy about. The centre manager turned up, took down the names of everyone who was there and then mysteriously they didn't receive any hours until they quit.

Then they hosed us all out of weekend loading.

Anyone know anything about "Professionals Australia" as apparently they're my union but I've never heard of them.

• Locked thread