Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
What do you all think of non-unanimous conviction, as seen in Louisiana? This isn't a FTP post, but it certainly seems problematic that Louisiana started this as a response to blacks being allowed into juries.

Full disclosure: my dad is a PD in Louisiana and rather hates it of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

mlmp08 posted:

What do you all think of non-unanimous conviction, as seen in Louisiana? This isn't a FTP post, but it certainly seems problematic that Louisiana started this as a response to blacks being allowed into juries.

Full disclosure: my dad is a PD in Louisiana and rather hates it of course.

Seems problematic. The whole point of unanimity is to force jurors to actually deliberate. FYI military juries also do not need unanimity.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Military justice is pretty interesting and given the briefings we receive and dumb answers commanders and NCOs give to JAG when asked the most basic of legal questions, I feel for military legal workers.

There are STILL senior officers and NCOs walking around saying that they get to just go search private housing off post because of general military authority.

Of course if commanders screw up legal proceedings there are plenty of ways to administratively hammer someone.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
NM

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

flakeloaf posted:

And the criminalization of poverty. Get a $125 red light ticket that's inflated to $400 with fees, don't pay it cause you don't have $400, get sent to jail, can't get bail, plead guilty to a questionable charge to get out so you can go back to work and try to hold your family together because you'll never afford the legal fees and it sucks to defend yourself from inside jail, and on your way home a cop sees you, a black man, fail to park and shut his car off at a red light and decides to write you for it, repeat.

That's poor reasoning, in part because you've conflated about 5 different factors. The root cause here is that the actor in question is poor relative to the initial fee.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Combining them in a short story seemed to flow better than listing all of the various ways the disconnect between the price of justice and the means of your average offender can lead to unnecessary incarceration.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
This is probably more appropriate for the debate the criminal justice thread.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Yeah, sorry that was me.

Pro se defendants: Are they all insane disruptions or have you seen any pull some pretty clever moves out of nowhere?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Obdicut posted:

Sociology, criminology, public health?

I'm sociology/public health, mostly a focus on immigrant issues.

Yeah, Criminology / public health here.

Right now gun violence is up moderately from last year in a few cities I'm working in. It has the public and the Chiefs of police pretty upset. There's a number of possible causes, but the least helpful one I've heard is that "the Ferguson riots have made police too scared to arrest black men."

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Yeah, sorry that was me.

Pro se defendants: Are they all insane disruptions or have you seen any pull some pretty clever moves out of nowhere?

Some are batshit. But more are just difficult and refuse to cooperate with their counsel. Either way, I've yet to see a pro se do well.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Doesn't pro se screw you out of a ton of appeals simply because you can't say your lawyer was poo poo?

Hot Dog Day #38
May 16, 2004

ShadowMoo posted:

Doesn't pro se screw you out of a ton of appeals simply because you can't say your lawyer was poo poo?

I'd think that unless you were actually deprived counsel because of something the court did you might be prevented from any sort of ineffective assistance of counsel claim, yeah.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ShadowMoo posted:

It's like saying not buying a lottery ticket screws you out of 500 million dollars.
If you represent yourself you can't raise ineffective assistance of counsel.
However, if you are represented by counsel, you chances of prevailing on an ineffective assistance of counsel claim are very, very, small.

flakeloaf posted:

There was this one guy who kept getting arrested for trespassing at his church. He kept getting charged, and kept representing himself against the baby DAs and winning because he knew the law and they didn't. Somebody finally gave the church a clue and they learned how to forbid him from returning, so he stopped.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

What?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

What?

Don't worry about it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Some are batshit. But more are just difficult and refuse to cooperate with their counsel. Either way, I've yet to see a pro se do well.

I ask cause we had one guy, Wahab Dadshani, score a partial win after chasing a drug dealer into a video arcade and killing him with a sword. He had amici for some of the process, but the trial judge called him intelligent and articulate and stopped shy of congratulating him for doing a seriously good job; the jury convicted him of manslaughter (he was charged with first degree murder). Then later the parole board called him a dangerous, violent, high-risk offender with serious anger and self-control issues so maybe he should still be in jail, but everything up to that point was pretty impressive.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 1, 2015

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Is it rare for the defense to call police officers as witnesses?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
IIRC calling up police in their official position they have a requirement to act in the best interests of the state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
This is actually a really interesting perspective and explanation of various legal tactics used in court specifically as it relates to cases directly involving witnesses https://youtu.be/cTs-ZKxS9SA?t=2m5s

RonMexicosPitbull fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 1, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Watermelon City posted:

Yes, but it is not uncommon.
I've had a number of cases where I would have called the cop if the DA hadn't beat me to it though. If the officer is just a witness to statements, not events, they may help you.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Watermelon City posted:

Happens quite a bit here. And no. They have an obligation to tell the truth. If defense subpoenas them they go.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ShadowMoo posted:

IIRC calling up police in their official position they have a requirement to act in the best interests of the state. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

This might seem like a dumb question, but what, exactly does the "best interests of the state" mean?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ShadowMoo posted:

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

This is actually a really interesting perspective and explanation of various legal tactics used in court specifically as it relates to cases directly involving witnesses https://youtu.be/cTs-ZKxS9SA?t=2m5s

Thanks guys, I needed some Alex Jones in my recommended videos.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
What's the reasoning behind reporting arrests independent of convictions, let alone a trial. Like if I get arrested for murder and it becomes so clear I didn't do it, or there's so little evidence, that the case is actually dismissed, an employer can still discover that I've been arrested for murder. I'm asking because it seems like this would be one of those ways that economic disadvantage get built into a system that targets certain classes of people even when it turns out they've done nothing wrong.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Actus I didn't know you were JAG. I've been involved in a ton of court martials in various capacities, but nothing big or important to the trial. Do you think the relationship between the prosecutors and defense attorneys is too close in the military? The group I knew constantly were in each other's offices, hanging out with each other on the weekends for BBQs and after work for beers. Just seemed really weird that they were on opposite sides of the court room but being in the same unit had them ending up as buddies.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

After having a prosecutor lie to my face in December, gently caress 'em. Next time they want me to give a statement they'll need a subpoena.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Shooting Blanks posted:

After having a prosecutor lie to my face in December, gently caress 'em. Next time they want me to give a statement they'll need a subpoena.

I...what? Those videos literally put Alex Jones in my recommended panel because that's the target demographic.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

I...what? Those videos literally put Alex Jones in my recommended panel because that's the target demographic.

My bad, I thought you were addressing the content of the videos, not what it did to your Youtube list.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Well, yes, my point is that the videos are aimed at antigovernment paranoiacs. They are literally for people who would like Alex Jones. That's why Youtube suddenly started recommending him.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, yes, my point is that the videos are aimed at antigovernment paranoiacs. They are literally for people who would like Alex Jones. That's why Youtube suddenly started recommending him.

And having had a prosecutor lie to my face doesn't exactly engender trust in the system, when there is no recourse for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Defenders: Are the prosecutors on the up-and-up, or do you suspect something like that Orange County misconduct scandal is going on in most of their offices?

Prosecutors: Are the defenders on the up-and-up? (I actually don't know of the ways a defense attorney can be corrupt, so if you've got stories to share ...)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Defenders: Are the prosecutors on the up-and-up, or do you suspect something like that Orange County misconduct scandal is going on in most of their offices?

Prosecutors: Are the defenders on the up-and-up? (I actually don't know of the ways a defense attorney can be corrupt, so if you've got stories to share ...)

In California, the majority of prosecutors are ethical (though often have a pretty simplistic world view), however unethical behavior is not punished by thier superiors and the bench and is often rewarded, so you have a shockingly high number of unethical prosecutors here.

There are also some amount of unethical defense attorneys, though they are almost always in the private bar. Most of the behavior has more to do with recruiting clients, but some will lie to das and judges or manipulate witness statements.

nm fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 2, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Most of the behavior has more to do with recruiting clients, but some will lie to das and judges or manipulate witness statements.

What's the client recruiting scam?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Discendo Vox posted:

The video I linked was a guy whos been an expert witness in literally hundreds of trials and written several books on the subject. Calm down and grow up a little.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

PostNouveau posted:

nm posted:

In California, the majority of prosecutors are ethical (though often have a pretty simplistic world view), however unethical behavior is not punished by thier superiors and the bench and is often rewarded, so you have a shockingly high number of unethical prosecutors here.

There are also some amount of unethical defense attorneys, though they are almost always in the private bar. Most of the behavior has more to do with recruiting clients, but some will lie to das and judges or manipulate witness statements.

I'm sure it varies, but up here in Alaska, the public defenders operate on their own totally separate rules of ethics and professional responsibility that are completely insane and change daily with the whims of whatever judge we happen to be in front of. It's nuts the stuff they can get away with, stuff that if I pulled I would be sanctioned and probably disbarred within like five minutes. Then we have a few true believer defense attorneys who are cookey outliers and think all cops are engaged in a broad conspiracy and blah blah blah tinfoil hats to protect us from gubbmint drone surveillance. The huge majority of defense lawyers are just normal people though, even if some operate under different rules than I operate under.

Fun story: we have this public defender up here who has a fantastic reputation for pulling the craziest poo poo in court. Someone once charged this gal for driving drunk and running over this little kid on a bike. The little kid was fine, she just had road rash, but it's still a felonious assault to drive drunk and cause an accident resulting in any injury in Alaska. Anyway, two days before trial this defense attorney convinces the judge that a) his client is like 8 and a half months pregnant, b) it's a super high risk pregnancy, c) she is going to have to do the trial from a hospital bed next to the defense's table, and d) the court is going to have to pay for a nurse to sit with her during the trial to monitor her. The judge buys it because the defendant has always appeared over the phone from her remote village and nobody has seen her since arraignment. The prosecutor of course freaks out and offers to continue the trial for several months but no no no, this defense attorney says his client wants to get it over with sooner than later and wants trial to start on Tuesday, not several months from now (in Alaska, with rare exception the defense bar unilaterally picks when trial gets scheduled for anything but murder charges or cases with like 30 witnesses). So the judge buys it, and orders the court administrator to organize and pay for a nurse to show up, but he also says the defense has to provide their own gurney. This was a phenomenally huge mess that had to go up several chains of command with emergency orders be issued to tap special Supreme Court funding and poo poo like that, because nobody had anticipated this crisis in the history of the State. Trial is set to start, we have a jury panel ready to go, and we have all the crap set up on Monday to start trial on Tuesday. And Tuesday morning in saunters the defense attorney and his client, who it turns out is 2 months pregnant, fine, and totally unaware of all the hullabaloo regarding her loins. Turns out the defense attorney just made the whole cockamamie story up just to rustle some feathers and have some fun at the court's expense. It worked, too.

That defense attorney has given more ulcers to lawyers in this state than Vodka, which is saying something. I think he's hilarious. During a basic weapons possession trial (possession of brass knuckles, which are illegal in Alaska), he brought his entire gun collection to court and lined it up in the back of the courtroom just to emphasize how stupid the brass knuckle law was when you can literally own as many bazookas as you want in this State. He also broke a podium with a prosthetic leg to show how his client was defending himself from a guy with one leg.

DAs are also just normal people doing our job. Though I am very glad that our DAs aren't elected officials and aren't swept aside every few years for an incoming governor's political buddies. Having political aspirations means having to make cases in the media, which leads to all sorts of hosed up conflicts for prosecutors. Nobody in my office needs to justify a win-loss ratio, so I have a lot more normalcy in my job than someone whose win-rate ratio is attacked by angry tea partiers every few years. I'm sure there are some true believer prosecutors that exist that will fight tooth and nail every low level drug charge, or get all unethical to avoid pleading out a big case, but I've not seen them up here.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Former JAG posters: our JAGs always talk about how fair they are compared to civilian lawyers because they don't get canned or lose elections for losing cases unless it's due to screwing up. They claim this makes them more willing to take on tough cases, such as difficult to prove sexual assaults.

Do you think they're blowing smoke?

They tend to back this up with a few local cases where the crime took place off post but the local DA wouldn't touch it for fear a jury would discredit a drunk woman or some such, and then the JAG prosecutors got a conviction at court martial. Or is this more that military conviction standards are looser?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Grem posted:

Actus I didn't know you were JAG. I've been involved in a ton of court martials in various capacities, but nothing big or important to the trial. Do you think the relationship between the prosecutors and defense attorneys is too close in the military? The group I knew constantly were in each other's offices, hanging out with each other on the weekends for BBQs and after work for beers. Just seemed really weird that they were on opposite sides of the court room but being in the same unit had them ending up as buddies.
The military is a bit different. Judge Advocates don't join as defense counsel or trial counsel. (prosecutors) They are assigned to those positions and will probably work both sides at one time or another. The trial counsel and defense counsel may have been working legal assistance together last year. The social organizing factor is more likely to be that they're all the same rank and age, rather than their duties at the moment. I don't think representation suffered on either side due to the closeness, and may have lessened the desire to be unethical because those were friends and future working colleagues (reputation mattered) Of course there were still unethical assholes, but you knew who they were and watched your back, no matter what job they were doing at that time)
On the other hand, that closeness lead the judges (at least where I was stationed) to be very standoffish to avoid any appearance of impropriety. You didn't go talk to a judge without opposing counsel. The end.
When I got out, it was the opposite. There wasn't a very good relationship between DAs and PDs, but the judges and DAs would have ex parte conversations all the time.

mlmp08 posted:

Former JAG posters: our JAGs always talk about how fair they are compared to civilian lawyers because they don't get canned or lose elections for losing cases unless it's due to screwing up. They claim this makes them more willing to take on tough cases, such as difficult to prove sexual assaults.

Do you think they're blowing smoke?

They tend to back this up with a few local cases where the crime took place off post but the local DA wouldn't touch it for fear a jury would discredit a drunk woman or some such, and then the JAG prosecutors got a conviction at court martial. Or is this more that military conviction standards are looser?
An old joke:
What do you call a defense counsel who wins a court-martial?
Lucky.

What do you call a defense counsel who wins two courts-martial?
Good.

What do you call a defense counsel who wins three courts-martial?
Trial Counsel (prosecutor)

(In the Marine Corps) Up until the 90s, both TCs and DCs were evaluated by the same person, and that person was evaluated by the person who decided who was going to be court-martialed and who wasn't. Eventually, DCs got a separate evaluator and high ranking advocate for general DC stuff. However, duty assignments were still determined by the guy who might have a conflict of interest. I think the navy has a personal representation (legal assistance, DC) assignment track and a government stooge (TC, staff attorney) assignment track to combat that problem.

TCs are more willing to take on hard cases because they don't have a choice if the non lawyer in charge of deciding who gets tried and who doesn't wants the case to go to trial.
Judge Advocates are much more free of local politics, and the military justice system has more money to take marginal cases than most civilian jurisdictions.
I'd say military conviction standards are tighter, assuming the non lawyer in charge of deciding who gets tried doesn't send ringers as jurors. (Yes, the same person who decides whether to press charges also decides who gets to be on the jury pool)
Guilty? You probably want a civilian court.
Not guilty? You probably want a(n unstacked) military court.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

The video I linked was a guy whos been an expert witness in literally hundreds of trials and written several books on the subject. Calm down and grow up a little.

This is, as per BigHead's example, a very poor standard, the man's self-curated wikipedia page notwithstanding.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

dogcrash truther posted:

What's the reasoning behind reporting arrests independent of convictions, let alone a trial. Like if I get arrested for murder and it becomes so clear I didn't do it, or there's so little evidence, that the case is actually dismissed, an employer can still discover that I've been arrested for murder. I'm asking because it seems like this would be one of those ways that economic disadvantage get built into a system that targets certain classes of people even when it turns out they've done nothing wrong.

I think it's mostly nobody noticing how far technology has advanced.
In the old days, the only stuff that got disseminated beyond the local area were arrest warrants and convictions, and only convictions were 'stored' in any real sense.
Now its all done electronically, automatically, and the information is hoovered up so quickly that it's hard to impossible to put back.
Arrests that don't lead to charges being filed have a much lower chance of getting disseminated, so there's at least some protection for the instances of clearly didn't do it and so little evidence.
For better or worse, public records are public, and that openness cuts both ways. The openness is generally good for society and generally bad for individuals. Perhaps its too easy to access that information and too hard to control it once created.

In my state, getting a record expunged costs money, because as a practical matter, it requires an attorney to make it happen.
Even then, the record isn't really expunged, because the DA and the police get to keep their copies, and the data collection agencies have no duty to erase their information.
I'll write letters and make calls for my clients to explain to employers and prospective employers what their expunged or deferred record means, but I can't make the information not exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

joat mon posted:

Arrests that don't lead to charges being filed have a much lower chance of getting disseminated, so there's at least some protection for the instances of clearly didn't do it and so little evidence.
For better or worse, public records are public, and that openness cuts both ways. The openness is generally good for society and generally bad for individuals. Perhaps its too easy to access that information and too hard to control it once created.

It seems pretty awful for society in the case in question.

• Locked thread