Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004
Death. But not for you, Gunslinger. Never for you.

Problem description: I recently added a Netgear n300 wifi range extender to my house so I can have internet access in my workshop. Setup went smooth, and all devices can connect to the range extender (tablets, phone, laptop) except for the intended PC. When the PC tries to connect to the range extender, it asks for the security key, I put it in, and then it asks for the security key again. At this point, it tells me the security key is wrong (it isn't). Other times when I try to connect, it just tells me that it could not connect to the network.

Attempted fixes: Firstly, I brought the drat PC into the house, even though it isn't fit to live in here, and I tried to manually enter the network information. When I do this, it tells me "The settings saved on this computer do not match the requirements for the network." This is a bold-faced lie, as everything is set to WPA2-Personal AES (and once again, yes, the key is correct). If I turn security off entirely, the computer is able to connect. Also, the PC is able to connect directly to the router, which is using all of the exact same security measures.

Recent changes: Just buying the wifi extender.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit

System specs: PC: Intel core 2 duo 2.66, RAM: 2 gb, geforce 8500 gt

ASUS ERT-N66U router, Netgear n300 wifi range extender, TRENDnet TEW-623PI Wireless N Adapter

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you tried updating to the latest wireless adapter drivers?

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004

I have updated the wifi extender's firmware. Unfortunately, the most recent drivers released for the PC's wifi card are from 2009.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Searching on that card, this review from NewEgg might provide some possible help:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?reviewid=2038316

FlashFearless
Nov 4, 2004

Goddammit, son, you've loving done it! Those alternate drivers did the trick. It works like a champ now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FlashFearless posted:

Goddammit, son, you've loving done it! Those alternate drivers did the trick. It works like a champ now.

Cool - glad that helped get it sorted out.

• Locked thread