Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
poo poo, may as well get this for Steam now too since I was willing to shell out the cash. Haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fuuuuuuck yeeeeeesss

I will pay for any DLC/cosmetic poo poo you want, Psyonix. You just gave me a rad loving $20 for free.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Boom.

Amazing way to get a community (a bigger one, anyway...)

Guess I'll also buy the PC version just for funsies.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Oh snap, that's going to do wonders to boost player count for sure.
I just don't see the game really hitting off or keeping it's player base up on PC.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Croccers posted:

Oh snap, that's going to do wonders to boost player count for sure.
I just don't see the game really hitting off or keeping it's player base up on PC.

I'd venture to guess that was the rationale behind releasing the game to popular streamers. That way, all the people who sit on their PCs anyway might see it and go "Oh wow, that looks pretty cool. I'll give it a shot." Also, It's super fun and cheap, so all the PS4 owners will be hyped, and all the Steam users who don't own PS4s will more than likely grab it and pass on how fun it is.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Would be quite interesting to hear business details behind this since this might be the first time at least on PS4 where a new release with a heavy focus on online play is given for free. Like, has Sony agreed to pay for the servers for a set period of time to make this happen or something like that? Don't expect icking fudiot to answer, but just wondering how Sony was able to entice you guys into doing this.

You guys better have a bunch of servers prepared for release day. :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Follow That Fish! posted:

Holy poo poo, that's amazing.

Would be quite interesting to hear business details behind this since this might be the first time at least on PS4 where a new release with a heavy focus on online play is given for free. Like, has Sony agreed to pay for the servers for a set period of time to make this happen or something like that? Don't expect icking fudiot to answer, but just wondering how Sony was able to entice you guys into doing this.

You guys better have a bunch of servers prepared for release day. :)

they've given several mp only games out free on day one but they all sucked like secret ponchos

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I'm only slightly better than plebs so giving the game free to lots of plebs is cool in my book.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Awesomenauts was free on Plus at launch and it bankrupted the company
Please don't be Awesomenauts :gonk:

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Real hurthling! posted:

they've given several mp only games out free on day one but they all sucked like secret ponchos

I can't think of anything else mp only on PS4 other than Secret Ponchos, but you're right, that one was so lovely it's no wonder I didn't remember. OlliOlli 2 has an online component, but probably not even close to requiring as much server power as Rocket League will.

Ninja edit: But I'm veering off topic, which is ROCKET LEAGUE!!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

checksin posted:

Awesomenauts, while a decent game, is a MOBA and frankly MOBAs are hard to be successful and/or good for a new player base. RL is pretty much the only game of its kind, it's got a great overall aesthetic to it, the gameplay is pretty diverse even against a MOBA (what with physics being both predictable and unpredictable and of course human decision making), and the developers are really open to their community and have been pretty darn transparent when it comes to sharing information.

I don't see how RL can fail unless matchmaking is completely broken and you've got guys like Fyshokid or Kronovi facing off against new players consistently. Even from what I've seen, the matchmaking in beta was pretty good and I never felt like I was constantly wrecking teams or being destroyed myself. Heck, even when Catpiss and I teamed up with one of the best players of the beta (Kahoma), we still lost games but it never felt unfun.

Edit: With Awesomenauts too, it relied super heavily on team based play. Rocket League games can be carried by one good player on a bad team or vice versa. The concept just seems to work so well. Yes I am drinking the koolaid.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 1, 2015

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Premium theme still gonna cost, I reckon. Finally I get to tive them some monies.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That better be a fat check from ps+. I was prepared to pay 20-30 dollars.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Given the release date I sort of suspected this would happen. As others have said I'm cool with allocating the well deserved money I would've spent buying the game on any dlc that'll show up.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

That better be a fat check from ps+. I was prepared to pay 20-30 dollars.

If you or anyone else with PS+ still wants to pay for the game, there is a small window to do that. When new games go up on PSN, they sometimes have their PS+ offers go up a little later, making it look like they don't have it. I think this lasts between 15 to 30 minutes before the PS+ offer pops up.

New games pop up between 10am to 1pm Pacific on PSN in the North American region, usually around 10:30am to 11:30am.

Either do that, or buy the Steam version after getting the free PS+ version.

PlayStation Europe recently announced that PS+ free games will go up on the first Tuesday of the month instead of the following Wednesday. The game will pop up on PSN in the European region either at midnight BST or sometime in the morning. Most likely, it will be up in the morning.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

checksin posted:

Weird, they announced a new patch coming soon.. or is this about the ps3 version?

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The publisher of Awesomenauts, dtp, went out of business, not the developer, Ronimo. And it happened before the PS3 version was launched.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Brightman posted:

Given the release date I sort of suspected this would happen. As others have said I'm cool with allocating the well deserved money I would've spent buying the game on any dlc that'll show up.

I'm actually curious if this changes their plans at all with regard to DLC. Their original pitch (SOCCER PUN!) was "Under 20 dollars and lots of post-release DLC for free!"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Feenix posted:

I'm actually curious if this changes their plans at all with regard to DLC. Their original pitch (SOCCER PUN!) was "Under 20 dollars and lots of post-release DLC for free!"

AFAIK, DLC will be cosmetic stuff only. Maps are free and I imagine some cosmetics will be added with each update.

icking fudiot, is there any plans for more cross-promotions like the Sweet Tooth vehicle? It'd be sweet to have things like the batmobile or say the vehicles from the Wipeout series.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Or the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

What the fuuuuuck? Like, this is incredible, insanely ridiculously incredible, because ps+ games always have active communities pretty much forever, guaranteed.

On the other hand I'm sure a ton of people would have bought this and they could have accomplished the same thing releasing it next month or whatever.

Still, awesome. Gonna buy a ton of DLC to make up for not buying the game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think it's kind of crazy, but on the other hand, it's only free for one month.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Feenix posted:

Original (and current) pitch was/is MAP DLC will always be free. We always planned to do paid cosmetic DLC if there was a demand. This did move the timetable up a bit.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ufarn posted:

I think it's kind of crazy, but on the other hand, it's only free for one month.

It will be the greatest month of my life. I might be like those korean guys who die playing WoW though.

I'm most excited because this probably means that 1v1 will actually be sorta-kinda active. It was by a vast margin the least-populated playlist in beta but with it being free on ps+ I have a feeling more lone-wolf types will pick it up. While I love the team play in Rocket League the 1v1 really is like a different game entirely and I loved doing it more than anything when beta first dropped because your game improves at an absurdly fast pace compared to team games (because you get more opportunities to hit and maneuver with the ball, you're both striker and goalie, etc).

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

a cop posted:

It will be the greatest month of my life. I might be like those korean guys who die playing WoW though.

I'm most excited because this probably means that 1v1 will actually be sorta-kinda active. It was by a vast margin the least-populated playlist in beta but with it being free on ps+ I have a feeling more lone-wolf types will pick it up. While I love the team play in Rocket League the 1v1 really is like a different game entirely and I loved doing it more than anything when beta first dropped because your game improves at an absurdly fast pace compared to team games (because you get more opportunities to hit and maneuver with the ball, you're both striker and goalie, etc).

Strap on your butt for 1v1 Ranked Mode then.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

icking fudiot posted:

Strap on your butt for 1v1 Ranked Mode then.

I'm ready to get hosed hahaha. So many SARBC gods are going to return :ohdear:

Oh also

icking fudiot posted:

Definitely talking about something lobby-esque for revision 2. Rev 1 will be much less elaborate.

This is great news. Looking forward to whatever drops post-release, you guys are awesome!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I really want to know what the adoption and activity curve will look like on it. I imagine it'll explode to start with, but it also seemed like everyone was going to play Demon's Souls, when I got started playing it, and it took a while for the franchise to catch on.

I assume PlayStation are smart enough to compensate Psyonix in accordance with the popularity. It'd be smart of them to make it a PlayStation-exclusive franchise.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I would've paid the now-standard $80 Cdn for this game. Will DLC the gently caress out of it

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Is it 7 July yet?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

dog nougat posted:

Is it 7 July yet?
Back to bed.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Luckily I'm on vacation until the 6th, so I won't have Rocket Leagueless PS4 taunting me with potential fun/good times. On the plus side, now that it's free on ps+ I can double dip on steam and not feel like a total tool buying the game twice, only when I buy the dlc twice will I feel that way. It's the little things :v:

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Soundtrack is up on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bucvnee4qfe55gadci4ebk6sy5e&tid=song-T27modke4zroo3ynagjgmty7ufi

Not recommended if you're driving near a soccer field full of kids and can't resist the urge to start chasing the ball with your car

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This soundtrack is really good. Sold.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

checksin posted:

Soundtrack is up on Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bucvnee4qfe55gadci4ebk6sy5e&tid=song-T27modke4zroo3ynagjgmty7ufi

Not recommended if you're driving near a soccer field full of kids and can't resist the urge to start chasing the ball with your car

Totally forgot about this. If you're getting this on PS+ just buy the album instead and use the rest of the money for DLC! Added to the OP.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'm going to buy a shitload of DLC to make them some money.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

orange sky posted:

I'm going to buy a shitload of DLC to make them some money.

Even though I have PS+, I might just buy the "normal" game from the PSN store anyway, because they should get my money.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lumpy posted:

Even though I have PS+, I might just buy the "normal" game from the PSN store anyway, because they should get my money.

Don't think it will let you while your PS+ subscription us active.

But bring on the DLC!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Just saw a tweet from the RL folks that the soundtrack is on Spotify now, in case you don't want to pay money for that either

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There's absolutely no reason to think that they are not getting paid from Sony and are just doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

sellouts posted:

There's absolutely no reason to think that they are not getting paid from Sony and are just doing this out of the goodness of their hearts.

That's not at all what anybody seems to be thinking, but they do not get full retail price from sony for each PS+ download and knowing how much enjoyment I will get from their product, I'd like to find ways to give them a little more support.