Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I've found two other uses for vergil's concentration meter beyond more damage and bigger judgement cuts

when the meter is maxed his beowulf moves get a third level of charging (level 3 just charge and distorted uppercut is hilarious) and if you let him put his katana away all summoned swords embedded in enemies instantly explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Pureauthor posted:

Nero's method for dealing with the swordfish are to render them completely helpless punching bags anyway, so it's not like they're a marvel of design for either character.

True. I'm glad they are a rare monster.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

darealkooky posted:

If you let him put his katana away all summoned swords embedded in enemies instantly explode

I thought that only worked with Yamato combo B (DMC3 Yamato combo basically)? drat now I need to screw around some more.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

darealkooky posted:

I've found two other uses for vergil's concentration meter beyond more damage and bigger judgement cuts

when the meter is maxed his beowulf moves get a third level of charging (level 3 just charge and distorted uppercut is hilarious) and if you let him put his katana away all summoned swords embedded in enemies instantly explode

I'm pretty sure it gives a pretty big buff to hitboxes/range too, some of his Yamato strikes with max concentration cover an absurd amount of distance and width.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I've been fooling around with Lady a bit and I think I was too hard on her handguns earlier. They're honestly really good. Not as good as the shotgun but she has one of the more flexible movepools with them out and the charge shot is still absurdly good.

Honestly I'm starting to favor them over the shotgun and KA. They're not as powerful but since the charge is so short you can be dropping it CONSTANTLY and the actual time is so brief that you don't have to wait, the animation for any of her move is long enough to get off at least a L2 charge.

Yeah, I like them much more than the shotty, actually. The launcher into twosome-time is great for crowd control.

And even for a scrub like me... LDK mode is REALLY fun. Just seas of enemies and SSS ranks.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I just barely started playing Vergil and I decided to do it in LDK. Any tips for the hordes of Frosts? I get through it okay with spammed sword formations and Starfall 2 for stuns, but I want to do better.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

J2DK posted:

I just barely started playing Vergil and I decided to do it in LDK. Any tips for the hordes of Frosts? I get through it okay with spammed sword formations and Starfall 2 for stuns, but I want to do better.

from my experience so far in ldk as vergil (my only experience):

devil trigger and sword formations are your friend
especially blistering swords and spiral swords

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Endless DT'd rapid slashes are amazingly fun against hordes of scarecrows. Also nthing the sword formation love, they feel overpowered as hell on lower difficulties.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

just found out there`s actually an unlisted spiral sword move

after you have the tutu out, if you hold the button again the swords will get in really close and hold around you, then shoot out in all directions when you let go

you can do this while you taunt too so you can do stuff like spiral swords, taunt to get most of the meter back, release the swords if anyone gets close since these specific swords knock enemies back

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

darealkooky posted:

after you have the tutu out, if you hold the button again the swords will get in really close and hold around you, then shoot out in all directions when you let go

you can do this while you taunt too so you can do stuff like spiral swords, taunt to get most of the meter back, release the swords if anyone gets close since these specific swords knock enemies back

i swear this move was in dmc3 but i can't seem to do it so lol welp

there are way too many blitz in bloody palace
i just wanna beat it as trish but it's blitzes as far as the eye can see and i only have so much dt meter

on the plus side i discovered that her DT actually lets her attack the cloak guys with her melee so those rooms are a joke now

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Use Pandora rockets on Blitzes. If you're in the air, the transformation is stupid fast and you can get a couple shots off each time it appears.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

By the by, in case anyone is curious about what Ninja Theory is up to these days, they're working on the combat system for Disney Infinity 3.0

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

By the by, in case anyone is curious about what Ninja Theory is up to these days, they're working on the combat system for Disney Infinity 3.0

I'd poke fun, but Platinum are making a friggin' Transformers game (which I'm totally gonna buy, because G1 Transformers and Platinum games are both my jam, but still, poo poo's weird and clearly a cash-in quickie)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

They're also working on Hell Blade (which despite the name has nothing to do with Heavenly Sword). I vaguely recall them talking about its development as experimental - trying to lower the cost of production by having only 16 or so people working on it, while still have triple A production quality. Or some such.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I feel like ninja theory making DmC was an insanely missed opportunity.

Because they should've made a new onimusha game instead.

Series was always trying to be cinematic and flashy first and being a fun swordfighting game was always a distant second, which is the exact same philosophy that made heavenly sword. Having to make a game about samurai stabbing demon samurai and not over the top anime man dante flipping out and insulting people would probably result in way better writing/animation quality than DmC got, too.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

darealkooky posted:

Series was always trying to be cinematic and flashy first and being a fun swordfighting game was always a distant second, which is the exact same philosophy that made heavenly sword. Having to make a game about samurai stabbing demon samurai and not over the top anime man dante flipping out and insulting people would probably result in way better writing/animation quality than DmC got, too.

That, and it would be potentially reviving a dormant franchise. Not trying to strangle an active, and still profitable one.

Yeah, Onimusha would have been a good fit for NT.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

This is exactly what I said when the game was coming out. Onimusha would have been a WAY better fit for them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Wait, am I to understand that if you play as Vergil and play like his boss fights, he gets stronger? Like walking and sheathing his sword and stuff like that is an actual game mechanic? I need to buy DMC4. I loved 3. Thought the reboot was mediocre. Might as well give DMC4 a shot. It's gotta be cheap by now, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Wait, am I to understand that if you play as Vergil and play like his boss fights, he gets stronger? Like walking and sheathing his sword and stuff like that is an actual game mechanic? I need to buy DMC4. I loved 3. Thought the reboot was mediocre. Might as well give DMC4 a shot. It's gotta be cheap by now, right?

Yes, his gameplay mechanics are all designed to make you replicate how he fights as a boss.

DMC4:SE is $25 which is pretty drat reasonable for the price. You can get the original version way cheaper (like $5 on less during sales) on Steam but... well, get the SE.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

It's 25 bucks for the special edition, well worth it too. I'd have grabbed it if the only thing was a faster sprint ability start.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

SonicRulez posted:

If you loved 3 you should know that in the special edition of 4 that just came out you can play as Lady.

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH
I'm not sure I understand Vergil's Trick mechanic. It seems like if I have a Summoned Sword in an enemy, Trick Up gets replaced by Air Trick, even if I'm not holding RB like the movelist says. Is this intended or am I doing something wrong? I haven't played DMC3 Vergil in a hilariously long time.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Fereydun posted:

from my experience so far in ldk as vergil (my only experience):

devil trigger and sword formations are your friend
especially blistering swords and spiral swords

I discovered this playing today the day after I posted. Thanks a lot, though! :)

darealkooky posted:

Dope. Nice find.

I think you're right about Ninja Theory and Onimusha, too. It would be nice to see some activity in that franchise.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

AccountingNightmare posted:

I'm not sure I understand Vergil's Trick mechanic. It seems like if I have a Summoned Sword in an enemy, Trick Up gets replaced by Air Trick, even if I'm not holding RB like the movelist says. Is this intended or am I doing something wrong? I haven't played DMC3 Vergil in a hilariously long time.

Press the style button to do a trick up. Press the style button while locked on to a grip point or an enemy to do a teleport. That's all there is to it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just insta-killed Savior with Vergil's Distorted Shoryureppa :stare:

I am enjoying this pseudo-meta where everything Dante can do in DMC4, Vergil upstages in DMC4:SE

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

notZaar posted:

Press the style button to do a trick up. Press the style button while locked on to a grip point or an enemy to do a teleport. That's all there is to it.

I just double-checked and Vergil was definitely doing Air Trick (teleport to enemy) instead of Trick Up (teleport directly up) with no buttons held. My lock-on button isn't stuck or anything. As soon as the Summoned Sword expired, he went back to doing Trick Up.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think that has happened to me yet, that don't seem right. I guess in that case you have to DT and start doing trick backs when that happens. It's too bad they restrict that ability to DT only, I guess they found it to be OP during game balancing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I didn't realize that changing Dante's costume changes his costume for other characters boss-fighting him too. That kind of owns.

I just double-checked and Vergil was definitely doing Air Trick (teleport to enemy) instead of Trick Up (teleport directly up) with no buttons held. My lock-on button isn't stuck or anything. As soon as the Summoned Sword expired, he went back to doing Trick Up.

Yeah, a summoned sword changes your target to whoever it is impaled in.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 4, 2015

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Even the regular shoot button summoned swords will mark a target and change Trick Up to Air Trick.

EDIT: Also, Vergil is now my title screen voice. Neat.

EDIT EDIT: Trish's S rank taunt blows a kiss that does damage. Amazing.

Brutakas fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 5, 2015

AccountingNightmare
Oct 2, 2006

NOT ENOUGH RED ORBS ARGH

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't realize that changing Dante's costume changes his costume for other characters boss-fighting him too. That kind of owns.

Yeah, a summoned sword changes your target to whoever it is impaled in.

Brutakas posted:

Even the regular shoot button summoned swords will mark a target and change Trick Up to Air Trick.

EDIT: Also, Vergil is now my title screen voice. Neat.

Thanks! This is a shame; I thought Trick Up was going to be really useful for avoiding damage, but I have to remember to either stop using Summoned Swords or keep a stock of Trigger handy for Trick Down. It's a bit more effort than the other characters.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Brutakas posted:

vergil has a taunt where he spins a tiny summoned sword on his finger like a frisbee that also does damage

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

darealkooky posted:

vergil has a taunt where he spins a tiny summoned sword on his finger like a frisbee that also does damage

I'm having a hell of a time deciding which of these two is the best taunt in the entire series

Damone
May 3, 2009

darealkooky posted:

The "show me your motivation" also does damage.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm having a hell of a time deciding which of these two is the best taunt in the entire series

Sorry, Nero's Air guitar is still the best.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hel posted:

Sorry, Nero's Air guitar is still the best.

But you can juggle dudes with Vergil's spinny sword!!!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

toasterwarrior posted:

But you can juggle dudes with Vergil's spinny sword!!!

Sure, but that doesn't magically play a guitar solo.

BTW Can anyone read Agnus notepad? I can make out "Nero=Dante=???" as a headline but I wonder if there is actually more text on it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
How many demons do you need to kill to unlock the EX colors? I got 20+ but that wasn't enough. I didn't feel as though I was slow either.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

notZaar posted:

How many demons do you need to kill to unlock the EX colors? I got 20+ but that wasn't enough. I didn't feel as though I was slow either.

I was able to get it after 30 with Vergil.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm having a bit of trouble with Vergil. I can get AT enemies, but getting away from them is really hard. Like, with the fight with Berial, he'll wind up for his big "I'm gonna blow everything up" attack, and I can't figure out how to ever get away in time. The only time I haven't been hit was when I just happened to be really far already.

Is the only real defensive option that Vergil has just kinda include ground rolling?

Edit: I got the EX Vergil costume with exactly 30 kills. At the end screen, it says "You got 30+ kills!" so I think that's the bare minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Yeah, for Lady and Trish it's 20 but for Vergil it's 30. Took me like a dozen tries to get it, you just want to revolve entirely around staying motivated and getting enough DT for Judgement Cut End.

• Locked thread