Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
when he sent Kyle reese back in time did he know he was gonna bone his mom, cause that would be awkward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Harald posted:

when he sent Kyle reese back in time did he know he was gonna bone his mom, cause that would be awkward?

entire series wouldve been 100x better if john connor says "hey kyle..." and then throws up the shocker sign when he went into the time machine

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Clipperton posted:

idgi, what am i supposed to be looking at here

Her emoting more than in any of her roles

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Harald posted:

Not really, physics nerds believe time travel would be causal.

By trying to get rid of John Connor, Skynet actually creates him in a way.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
T1 and T2 were better than T3, but T3 was good. Salvation sucked. Genisys was pretty good as a sort of side-adventure to the Terminator series. It was a little goofy at times but definitely entertaining.

I liked the grey-haired Arnold Terminator and that he had a little bit of a personality this time (albeit a weird one, he is a robot)

General Tofu fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 5, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harald posted:

Yes he knows, the original film is a closed loop.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
When are they gonna bring back the T-1,000,000?

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
I would like to have seen the T-X make a reappearance. She was cool. The new terminator design with the magnetic dust was a good idea though

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
It's okay to like things

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

memetic poly alloys

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mulli posted:

It's okay to like things
yes and calling bad things bad is a thing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Clipperton posted:

probably won't see it (busy, moving house) but it sounds like a good idea for a new terminator movie, not sure why its getting all the hate
Because Genisys

Bitches who made the movie can't spell

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Clipperton posted:

idgi, what am i supposed to be looking at here

are not prehensile eyebrows unusual where you come from?

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

quakster posted:

yes and calling bad things bad is a thing

good

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mulli posted:

It's okay to like things

It is not ok

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Does Emilia Clarke jiggle at all in this movie

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
They don't tell you in the trailers but Genisys is a product in the movie, so it makes sense.
At first I thought it was just a silly title thing

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
The first hour was fun in the way MK 9's story was fun, taking a thing you know and turning it on it's head. Once they went to 2017 it got dumb fast but had decent enough action to almost hold one's attention, the bridge chase was neat, the very opening attack on future LA looked cool and the laser guns sounded like they did in the old movies.

It's like someone found the "Sarah Connor Chronicles" coffee can buried in the backyard, took a few of those ideas, added some dumb social media twists and viola, new Terminator film.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
does the arnold robot have a metal cock underneath the skin? this is important asking for a friend

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Watched original today and I wonder what the terminator would've did had Sarah Connor not called her friend. He seemed to think he killed her, would he have just sat around and wait until doomsday or something? Just chillax and do terminator poo poo?

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Kuato posted:

Watched original today and I wonder what the terminator would've did had Sarah Connor not called her friend. He seemed to think he killed her, would he have just sat around and wait until doomsday or something? Just chillax and do terminator poo poo?

Secondary objectives like the future general teens in T3, work behind the scenes to ensure the existence of skynet (back rubs and reassuring positive message posters for miles dyson), self-termination via melting pool to cleanse the future of "temporal debris", get a job in construction until it's inevitable layoff.

Edit: I know the answer is "there would be no movie otherwise" but while thinking about Terminator the other day I came to the conclusion that the T-800 infiltration model and most of the machines of war skynet made were real dumb. Instead of Terminators the size of men, which are easily shot and sniffed out by dogs, skynet shoulda went small. An army of robot flies or gnats would be much better infiltrators and much harder to track and kill.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 6, 2015

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Astrolite posted:

It was way better than T3 at least. Buncha homages to the only good Terminator movie, which is T1. Still, it felt kind of like the only point of it was to lay Ahnulds most famous character to rest.

Woah woah woah. T2, in my opinion, was not only an excellent Terminator movie but one of the best action films ever made.

Are you sure you have seen it?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

General Tofu posted:

I liked the grey-haired Arnold Terminator and that he had a little bit of a personality this time (albeit a weird one, he is a robot)

Who said he never did before eh?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I liked it as well. I could tell that the director wanted to make an R-rated movie, but was constantly harassed by executives to make it PG-13. The movie was fun, but didn't have the same sense of dread that T1-3 had. It is very obviously having fun with time travel and takes advantage of the gimmick to start over while still keeping T1-3 in some kind of tact. It truly does care about the franchise, and does it a great service while also being hosed up by Chad, The Marketing/Social Media Expert.

Overall, it's a big dick with no testes.

porkchop_express
May 27, 2004
but then who's to mind the stepchildren?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the futa of terminator...

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

This movie was awesome. It was a giant time travel clusterfuck like BttF part 2 and it was glorious. I would hold it up to the first two films.

porkchop_express posted:

does the arnold robot have a metal cock underneath the skin? this is important asking for a friend

Metal no, fleshy yes. Watch the beginning of T1 again, you see it all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah I remember it having a graceful organic swing to it

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Please stop mentioning t3. It's triggering.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Flynn Taggart posted:

This movie was awesome. It was a giant time travel clusterfuck like BttF part 2 and it was glorious. I would hold it up to the first two films.

Metal no, fleshy yes. Watch the beginning of T1 again, you see it all.

http://i.imgur.com/zMrkmKk.gif

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Emilia Clarke would have been more believable with proper giant 80's hair.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Hmmm.... you're right. For some reason I have a picture in my head of them showing the T-800s looking like Ken dolls. Salvation maybe? My dreams?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flesh Forge posted:

are not prehensile eyebrows unusual where you come from?

she's like a sim

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Saalkin posted:

Please stop mentioning t3. It's triggering.

I don't understand why people don't like T3. I liked T3 a lot. The only thing I hated was when the terminatrix could control police cars, but other that that it was very good. It's not T2 good, but it's very unfair to compare any movie to T2. T3 was as good as it could be coming off of on the the top 10 best movies ever made.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

The first hour was fun in the way MK 9's story was fun, taking a thing you know and turning it on it's head. Once they went to 2017 it got dumb fast but had decent enough action to almost hold one's attention, the bridge chase was neat, the very opening attack on future LA looked cool and the laser guns sounded like they did in the old movies.

It's like someone found the "Sarah Connor Chronicles" coffee can buried in the backyard, took a few of those ideas, added some dumb social media twists and viola, new Terminator film.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles had an episode where a terminator got sent back in time to kill a politician in a specific building at a specific time, but it got sent too far back in time and it accidentally killed the architect who was going to make the building. So it became a 1920's crime lord and paid for the building's construction then went into hibernation mode and was going to burst out of a wall with a tommy gun to complete it's mission. They had some pretty good story ideas on that show.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For some reason there's a contingent of people who want the terminator movies to be more than what they are, which is a bunch of action popcorn flicks with time travel thrown in. When they try to be more than that we end up with a confused, forgettable mess like Salvation. Even T3 was a goddamn masterpiece compared to that dreck.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
didn't see it but i liked the preview where the bus hit something head on and somehow it did a full front flip like there was a launch pad under it's back tires that flung it up

also cool when this really girly girl opens a door and says now soldier as gruffly as she can but comes across as just cringeworthy

Prettz posted:

I'm not going to watch this movie because there are only 2 terminator movies. Putting the name "Terminator" in a movie that isn't a terminator movie is stupid.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Arnold Schwarzenegger might be the coolest human to have ever lived.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Woah woah woah. T2, in my opinion, was not only an excellent Terminator movie but one of the best action films ever made.

Are you sure you have seen it?

T2 theatrical release is an amazing movie. If he saw the director's cut that was on netflix last time I checked (been quite a while), then I could see why he would think it was a terrible movie. Those extra scenes are really loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The Sarah Connor Chronicles had an episode where a terminator got sent back in time to kill a politician in a specific building at a specific time, but it got sent too far back in time and it accidentally killed the architect who was going to make the building. So it became a 1920's crime lord and paid for the building's construction then went into hibernation mode and was going to burst out of a wall with a tommy gun to complete it's mission. They had some pretty good story ideas on that show.

Somehow I think I missed that episode but saw most of the run. I really enjoyed the first season, 2nd season was weird car crash tv which is fun to watch but cant sustain itself (show was gonna die anyway). On one hand you have the 1st season finale where the swat team catches up with the bad terminator and on the other hand is that episode where SArah Connor goes on a vision quest in the desert and sees a weird future drone or some poo poo, I could probably watch that series again at some point.

Ramsus posted:

didn't see it but i liked the preview where the bus hit something head on and somehow it did a full front flip like there was a launch pad under it's back tires that flung it up

Spoiler Alert. It didnt even hit something, kinda made it 10x awesome than the dumb thing I was expecting having seen the trailer. The evil terminator does a thing I dont quite understand cause it happened so fast and then flipping bus. The better part that isnt as exciting for trailers is right after when the bus rolls up into/across the cables of the bridge, it crashes gud and excited that part of my brain that enjoys a good demo derby. They took a thing I thought was dumb in the trailer and made it not off-puttingly bad. It's kinda my analogy for the movie, damning praise for sure, they could just call this stuff, Terminator 6:What more were you expecting?

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 6, 2015

• Locked thread