Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

quote:

That happens much less these days. But a few years ago I remembered it happening more often. Like a gay guy acted inexplicably rude to a friend of mine at a party, who then very cautiously probed me as to why. And it's like ... umm. I don't know? What kind of question is that, really? You're not thought of as an individual. I don't know this person. Maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat? Why are you asking me? How would I know?
My favorite response to things like this will always be "I'll be sure to ask about it at the next <minority> meeting".

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Thump! posted:

It's weird that a lot of people hold up the Constitution as one of these holy texts.

Lol if you think the Constitution wasn't written by Jesus.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

All I got from that is "being a loving bigot will loving bankrupt you"

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

This stupid macro is telling me to hate these people but they look so happy and sweet. :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FAUXTON posted:

All I got from that is "being a loving bigot will loving bankrupt you"

Is it really so hard to go "We're booked full, sorry"? These people wanted to be seen being bigoted, and don't appear to be enjoying their five seconds of fame.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just a reminder that the owners of the bakery were offered a deal but turned it down, so this is what they get. They broke state law, I have no sympathy.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Klaus88 posted:

This stupid macro is telling me to hate these people but they look so happy and sweet. :3:

Should've added quotation marks to 'wife' to make it more passive aggressive.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

And to think, if the bakery had sold the cake the couple wanted they would not only have saved the 135 000 dollars and whatever custom they have lost from exposing themselves as bigots, they would in fact be slightly richer by earning a profit on the cake.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
I bet you can get a really neat cake for 135k.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

• I thought they were given 135k + 105k?
  • The people who were being sued supposedly raised money (and were allowed to keep it after it was shut down.
  • Did the two women in the picture NOT "work for a living"?
  • Way to break the law, idiots
  • Despise the face of those Indiana pizza shop owners that didn't even get sued and raised a million dollars for saying bigoted things on the news!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Just a reminder that the owners of the bakery were offered a deal but turned it down, so this is what they get. They broke state law, I have no sympathy.

Er wait, they were offered a deal and didn't take it? What was the deal?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Any deal involved future compliance with state laws so it was a non-starter.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Aww what a lovely couple! :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Macaluso posted:

Er wait, they were offered a deal and didn't take it? What was the deal?

IIRC it was that they eat a small fine, like 1k I think? And in this case and the future they would have to comply with state law, they refused. :lol:

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I did not know this part of the story:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2015/03/halfway_through_sweet_cakes_by.html

posted:

the (lesbian) couple's contact information (home address, phone and email) was posted on Aaron Klein's personal Facebook page.

If you don't remember, local investigative reporters had a field day with their bullshit. Sweet Cakes had no problem quoting prices for cakes to celebrate children expected out of wedlock, divorce, stem cell research, and Pagan Solstice.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Still kind of amazed that the Supreme Court said in effect love conquers all. You can marry whom you love. :3:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Do It Once Right posted:

I did not know this part of the story:

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2015/03/halfway_through_sweet_cakes_by.html

If you don't remember, local investigative reporters had a field day with their bullshit. Sweet Cakes had no problem quoting prices for cakes to celebrate children expected out of wedlock, divorce, stem cell research, and Pagan Solstice.

You left out the part where the Kleins argued that the death threats and loss of privacy are the couple's fault because they brought the suit. :psyduck:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

IIRC it was that they eat a small fine, like 1k I think? And in this case and the future they would have to comply with state law, they refused. :lol:
Yeah I believe it was $1,000 and they had to comply, but I'm having a hard time finding the article I had seen before about that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They have almost reached their goal of 150k (99%)

https://www.continuetogive.com/4811392

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

So they made 109k from GoFundMe which they were allowed to keep even after that was shut down. And now they have made 150k from continuetogive. Maybe I should change my job to bigot

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

And if they hadn't been shut down they would be making a bunch of money too because members of the Christian Persecution Complex would all line up to buy cakes ala Chik Fil A

I'm not sure what people think they're donating to, if they open another cake shop or whatever they're going to a) betray the donators by complying with state law or b) just get their happy asses shut down again because you bet your rear end the first people through that new door is going to be a gay couple

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also, the people are donating money that goes directly to that beautiful couple. I guess they look at as "we are saving this poor family from bankruptcy"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Lowtechs posted:

Still kind of amazed that the Supreme Court said in effect love conquers all. You can marry whom you love. :3:

So when the U.S. Women's Soccer team just won their finals match against Japan, in the TV coverage of the post whistle celebration, Abbey Wambach ran over to the sidelines and kissed her wife. And it wasn't a thing. There wasn't shock or surprise or pearl clutching. It was just treated as a winning player celebrating with their spouse.

It's a little thing, but it really shows how much has changed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

So when the U.S. Women's Soccer team just won their finals match against Japan, in the TV coverage of the post whistle celebration, Abbey Wambach ran over to the sidelines and kissed her wife. And it wasn't a thing. There wasn't shock or surprise or pearl clutching. It was just treated as a winning player celebrating with their spouse.

It's not as big of a deal in women's sports, since there are many more openly gay players. There are virtually none in men's sports, especially now that Michael Sam is headed to the CFL and Jason Collins retired. I know there's frustration that in the wake of Sam and Collins coming out no one else really did, but considering what happened to Michael Sam I don't particularly blame them.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Omi-Polari posted:

I might go to that. But it'll make me :qq: because SO LONELY.

The good news is that it can be trained out of people through exposure.

So better start kissing! The more often in public, the better.

Oh with that person? Most definitely.

I can recall several times when straight friends have tried to cautiously prod me into "explaining" some behavior by a gay person they witnessed that they disapproved of, that they wouldn't have batted an eye about if it was a straight person doing it. And the sad thing about it is that they are at least ostensibly pro-gay, tolerant, "progressive" people. At least they believe they are.

But they're still heterosexuals. And it's very hard if you're a heterosexual who grew up at least where I live to deprogram yourself from a lot of that. Many of them don't consciously mean any ill.

That happens much less these days. But a few years ago I remembered it happening more often. Like a gay guy acted inexplicably rude to a friend of mine at a party, who then very cautiously probed me as to why. And it's like ... umm. I don't know? What kind of question is that, really? You're not thought of as an individual. I don't know this person. Maybe he's just an rear end in a top hat? Why are you asking me? How would I know?

Or even positive behavior. A straight friend points out a gay couple in public to me. Like I would appreciate that? I swear to god. I would rather wish it was just treated normally.

Chill out?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pot Pie posted:

So they made 109k from GoFundMe which they were allowed to keep even after that was shut down. And now they have made 150k from continuetogive. Maybe I should change my job to bigot

Crime Pays.

Fried Chicken posted:

Go look through right wing forums and media (or even the Freep thread here) and then review your statement.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
The right-wing sites are up in arms about a gag order placed on the Sweet Cakes ruling.

Kelsey Harkness of the Daily Signal posted the actual section on twitter, but managed to leave the actual wording out of her article - I'm assuming because it's a lot easier to manufacture outrage for "EVIL MAN SILENCES CHRISTIANS" than "BAKERS GUILTY OF DISCRIMINATION TOLD TO STOP SAYING THEY WILL KEEP DISCRIMINATING".

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Australian minister: 'Gay marriage could damage our cattle exports'

An Australian minister warned that gay marriage could damage the country's cattle exports because it is seen as "decadent".

Agriculture minister Barnaby Joyce warned of the impact on trading partners in Asia of legalising gay marriage across Australia.

"Where we live economically is south east Asia, that's where our cattle go," Mr Joyce told the ABC network.

"When we go there, there are judgments whether you like it or not that are made about us. They see us as decadent.”

Barrie Cassidy, the host of the Insiders programme on which Mr Joyce was appearing, replied: "Would they see us embracing gay marriage as decadence?”

"I think that in some instances they would, yeah," Mr Joyce then answered.

The issue of gay marriage has returned to the political agenda in Australia after a Liberal MP revealed he would introduce a private member's bill to legalise it when the country's parliament resumes next month.

But Prime Minister Tony Abbott suggested the bill would be unlikely to reach voting stage.

"It's quite unusual for private member's bills to come on for debate and vote in the Parliament," he said.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/australian-minister-barnaby-joyce-gay-marriage-could-damage-our-cattle-exports-10367811.html

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So they're going to impose heavy taxes on the rich and on luxury goods to avoid hurting their image in Southeast Asia? That's surprising to hear!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Suddenly it's very important what people in developing countries think

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Barnaby Joyce sounds like the name of an antagonist in a Charles Dickens novel.

E: if it didn't impact Iowa's exports it sure as gently caress won't be damaging Australia's.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Steers go well with queers, damnit!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember the brothers who were going to have an HGTV show but then it was discovered that they were bigoted against gays

quote:

"As our faith comes under fire – with today’s attack on religious liberty – we must remember that God uses fire to purify our faith. Fire draws a line in the sand: Are we in or out? With Him or against Him? There is no in between. We’ve heard some say, 'I’m just riding the fence, sitting quietly, waiting to see what happens.' To them we respond, 'The devil owns the fence. Choose which side you’re on, and jump to it. Besides, you can’t stand strong on top of a fence.' The Supreme Court’s ruling on gay 'marriage' made it painfully obvious that religious liberties, especially for Christians, are now in the cross-hairs of the militant, secular agenda that is fundamentally changing our country. This means we need to get off the fence and stand up. We’ve got to decide beforehand, i.e., today, what we’re going to do when our faith is actually under fire." - Jason and David Benham

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I still don't understand where people get "our religious liberties are under attack!!" out of all of this. They literally are not. But no matter how much you prove this to people they just scream louder.

I keep finding it hard to believe that people out there legitimately believe that their religion should be able to dictate law and oppress people.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Remember the brothers who were going to have an HGTV show but then it was discovered that they were bigoted against gays
To be fair to them, unlike admonitions against homosexuality, there are actually passages in the Bible where Jesus strictly condemns being morally lukewarm, and that it is better for a person to definitively pick a side.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

jivjov posted:

I still don't understand where people get "our religious liberties are under attack!!" out of all of this. They literally are not. But no matter how much you prove this to people they just scream louder.

I keep finding it hard to believe that people out there legitimately believe that their religion should be able to dictate law and oppress people.

They're human garbage who believe their religious liberty is infringed when they can't treat gay people like second-class citizens and it makes me fairly happy to see them wailing and gnashing their teeth when they get slapped with lawsuits and forced to pay settlements over it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
who even gives a gently caress what paul the apostle said, he's not jesus

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Crime Pays.

Go look through right wing forums and media (or even the Freep thread here) and then review your statement.

"Seek and you shall find" is timeless wisdom for a reason. If I go looking for examples of people being lovely about any topic, I'll eventually find it in some corner of the id that is the internet. But absent going and expressly looking for people being assholes so I can get the catharsis of being pissed at them for being assholes, no one gave a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

FYI they export most of their beef to Russia and their camels meat to the Saudis but it's still a pretty stupid excuse. "Oh no, they aren't going to eat our meat because it comes from a country where gay marriage is legal".

• Locked thread