Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice
I've made the decision to finally go to a Baltimore Ravens home game, and since i'm from Europe hang out in the Baltimore region for a couple of days and do touristy stuff in Baltimore/DC too, so i'm looking for flights from AMS to either BWI/IAD or i guess PHL?

November 22 is game day, so l'd like to arrive a couple of days earlier and leave a couple of days later. Best I can find is around €670 (or €500, but that's with bmibaby and I don't know if I want to take them transatlantic), while AMS-NYC is 100+ euro's cheaper.

Should I hope for the €670 to come down to sub-600 euro prices? Or should I just take a flight to NYC and I guess Amtrak down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't overestimate public transportation in the US. Getting from DC to Baltimore is doable, but NYC to DC will cancel out your airfare savings.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yeah, I'd jump on that fare if it's into BWI. Anything else is going to have local transport costs that you'll need to factor in.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Also for what it's worth, IAD to Baltimore would be a huge pain. If everything is working correctly, you'd have to take a bus from IAD to the end of the Silver Line, Silver Line to Metro Center, transfer to the Red Line, Red Line to Union Station, and then catch an Amtrak of MARC train from there.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

Also for what it's worth, IAD to Baltimore would be a huge pain. If everything is working correctly, you'd have to take a bus from IAD to the end of the Silver Line, Silver Line to Metro Center, transfer to the Red Line, Red Line to Union Station, and then catch an Amtrak of MARC train from there.
....And that's assuming Metro is actually running :suicide:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oh and no weekend MARC trains rofl

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

So I've been eyeing flights from LAX to Bangkok for the past few months, I was seeing one way ticket prices at ~$500 one way in Sept-oct-nov on Google flights. Now prices are at $700, am I likely to see prices lower again?

Also what's the scoop on vayama/webair and other sketchy ticket resellers? Seeing $360 one way on kayak from these dudes, but with hundreds of 1 star reviews on Google. I'm a little hesitant to go that route.

But I'm ultra flexible, just want to cross the Pacific once it starts to get cold here around Oct, but then again I was also thinking I'd leave after Halloween. It doesn't really matter since I'll be traveling around for a long while. Help me find cheap airfare!

I won't be checking any bags if that matters, just me and my 32L backpack

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You should have taken the $500 one way.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

I know, a few were even at $480 :( has procrastination ever worked in my favor? Nope

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

peanut posted:

Oh and no weekend MARC trains rofl

This is no longer accurate.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Origin - DFW (or any Dallas airport really)
Destination - PLS
Duration of trip with dates - 7 days (Sept. 6th - 12th)
Flexibility If the deal is good enough I could probably move a day in either direction.

It looks like I don't have a ton of choices in flights, my question is really, is it better to buy in the next couple days or is there a good chance prices will come down a bit? I have been looking at trips with only 1 connection and not more than a 4 hour layover time.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dalstrs posted:

Origin - DFW (or any Dallas airport really)
Destination - PLS
Duration of trip with dates - 7 days (Sept. 6th - 12th)
Flexibility If the deal is good enough I could probably move a day in either direction.

It looks like I don't have a ton of choices in flights, my question is really, is it better to buy in the next couple days or is there a good chance prices will come down a bit? I have been looking at trips with only 1 connection and not more than a 4 hour layover time.

Doubtful that it will come down; limited service usually means higher prices, and it's peak vacation season. I see $675 through MIA if you go Monday the 7th.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have a Amex Delta Sky Miles card and I'm about to hit the bonus milage, which is enough for a free plane ticket. Do miles prices go up and down like air fare or are they set? I'm looking at either buying a cheap flight and hitting my bonus reward or just charging the rest of the amount I need to hit my bonus while I'm on my vacation (since I'll hit that easy).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

cheese eats mouse posted:

I have a Amex Delta Sky Miles card and I'm about to hit the bonus milage, which is enough for a free plane ticket. Do miles prices go up and down like air fare or are they set? I'm looking at either buying a cheap flight and hitting my bonus reward or just charging the rest of the amount I need to hit my bonus while I'm on my vacation (since I'll hit that easy).

Miles prices are static based on the level and class of the ticket and can be seen here since Delta removed the charts from their site. I'm not certain what determines the level of the ticket. I think it depends on both travel time and Delta releases limited amounts of the lower levels but I can't find any exact information.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

asur posted:

Miles prices are static based on the level and class of the ticket and can be seen here since Delta removed the charts from their site. I'm not certain what determines the level of the ticket. I think it depends on both travel time and Delta releases limited amounts of the lower levels but I can't find any exact information.

I did some checking on pricing and decided to pay for my flight to Denver out of pocket and will be going to Portland or Maine in the spring-ish time. Really want to see the redwoods.

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
So how might one utilize the theoretical tourism hotspot that is Orlando as a travel tool? Similarly, if I can't find a cheap way to get an extended weekend out of this loving crater, what is the best way to kill myself?

Thanks for the help, I'm entirely open to suggestions. I'm very much excited to travel anywhere. I would truly like to check out a few more places before I slit my throat (again still open to suggestions)...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cuba

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

a nigga who smoke posted:

So how might one utilize the theoretical tourism hotspot that is Orlando as a travel tool? Similarly, if I can't find a cheap way to get an extended weekend out of this loving crater, what is the best way to kill myself?

Thanks for the help, I'm entirely open to suggestions. I'm very much excited to travel anywhere. I would truly like to check out a few more places before I slit my throat (again still open to suggestions)...

Google Flights has a map feature that will show you prices for a duration of time. Use it and need to kill yourself less.

BigStu
Apr 16, 2011

cheese eats mouse posted:

Did you get 30,000 for $1000 spent? or 50,000 for $2000 spent?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a site that can give you a huge spread of prices for varying dates / timeframes?

I'm looking to travel from Portland, Oregon to Milan, Italy from one to two weeks, anytime from tomorrow until September 10th, and I'm willing to take any airports and travel between them in the US or Europe (like I'll travel to Seattle or Munich or whatever and train it over if it's cheaper), and I'm looking for the cheapest option.

It seems that with this much leeway sites can't figure out what the best options are.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Google Flights is your best bet, but you'd have to manually change your search for each airport you're considering unless it's like NY or DC where multiple airports are right on top of each other.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Rome2Rio is the site I know that'll show you multiple modes of transportation like that, but it doesn't cover the whole range of dates that you're looking for. You can, however, search for multiple airports at a time with google flights. Just enter something like PDX, SEA, YVR into the from field and MIL, VCE, TRN into the to field and use the calendar view to search for 13 days +/- 3 days, and 17 days +/- 3 days. Airfare will likely be your largest cost, so get an idea of what train tickets are like between these other airports and Milan and mentally add it to the cost.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've been waiting a couple months now for a startup company I'm with to get a USAID contract bid in Liberia, but it's taking them forever to announce the decision. Figuring in for a penny, in for a pound, I'm debating just flying down to Monrovia from Portugal (where I am now), throw caution to the winds and all and just gamble on either us getting it, and/or me pitching in with their other smaller contracts for a slice of the pie.

Poking around, the cheapest tickets bought as one itinerary are from Brussels, but they involve multiple stops over a couple days (some of which stops seem really redundant back-forth) and run like $1600. However, I noticed that flights from Paris to Abidjan (Ivory Coast) are like US$300-400, even if buying only a week in advance, with just one stop in Tunis on the way down. And flights from Abidjan to Monrovia are like $200.

Does Paris-Abidjan-Monrovia seem like a reasonable way to go? Is the huge difference in price just because Kayak and other sites aren't going to piece together two different legs with unrelated airlines for you, so booking them separately is the way to go?

The US Embassy page for Ivory Coast notes that have e-visas, but those appear to be for actually staying there, and require an invite letter from a person/company, stuff like that. The only stuff I'm seeing about Transit Visas is on those sketchy "Get your Ivory Coast Visa" sites which all appear to be commercial entities semi-masquerading as official, not seeing anything about that elsewhere. If I have a flight into Abidjan Airport (IC), and a flight that same day onward to Monrovia, am I likely good to go as long as I don't leave the international area of the airport? Or am I in great danger of getting kicked back to Paris for lacking a visa? Is just proof of onward travel and not leaving the secured international area of the airport usually enough? Or is it a problem if I have my tickets booked as two separate legs vice one cohesive set of tickets with a single airline?

Is my safest bet just calling the Ivoirian Embassy in the US over Skype and asking them about Transit Visas?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've been waiting a couple months now for a startup company I'm with to get a USAID contract bid in Liberia, but it's taking them forever to announce the decision. Figuring in for a penny, in for a pound, I'm debating just flying down to Monrovia from Portugal (where I am now), throw caution to the winds and all and just gamble on either us getting it, and/or me pitching in with their other smaller contracts for a slice of the pie.

Poking around, the cheapest tickets bought as one itinerary are from Brussels, but they involve multiple stops over a couple days (some of which stops seem really redundant back-forth) and run like $1600. However, I noticed that flights from Paris to Abidjan (Ivory Coast) are like US$300-400, even if buying only a week in advance, with just one stop in Tunis on the way down. And flights from Abidjan to Monrovia are like $200.

Does Paris-Abidjan-Monrovia seem like a reasonable way to go? Is the huge difference in price just because Kayak and other sites aren't going to piece together two different legs with unrelated airlines for you, so booking them separately is the way to go?

The US Embassy page for Ivory Coast notes that have e-visas, but those appear to be for actually staying there, and require an invite letter from a person/company, stuff like that. The only stuff I'm seeing about Transit Visas is on those sketchy "Get your Ivory Coast Visa" sites which all appear to be commercial entities semi-masquerading as official, not seeing anything about that elsewhere. If I have a flight into Abidjan Airport (IC), and a flight that same day onward to Monrovia, am I likely good to go as long as I don't leave the international area of the airport? Or am I in great danger of getting kicked back to Paris for lacking a visa? Is just proof of onward travel and not leaving the secured international area of the airport usually enough? Or is it a problem if I have my tickets booked as two separate legs vice one cohesive set of tickets with a single airline?

Is my safest bet just calling the Ivoirian Embassy in the US over Skype and asking them about Transit Visas?

Transit should not require a visa, but it would be best to check with the Ivorian embassy in Spain (Madrid) and make sure they don't have any issues for that. Most airports have a transit or connecting flights area where you go through security and return to the gate area for your onward departure.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mackieman posted:

Transit should not require a visa, but it would be best to check with the Ivorian embassy in Spain (Madrid) and make sure they don't have any issues for that. Most airports have a transit or connecting flights area where you go through security and return to the gate area for your onward departure.

I need to go to Paris anyway to fly down, so I'm thinking to Express mail my passport, vaccination card, photos etc. to the Liberian Embassy in Paris. In which case, I can always swing by the Ivoirian embassy if I have to. I tried calling their embassy in the USA but just got bounced around voicemails. I would expect I'd be fine so long as I stay in the International area of the airport, and I'm seeing some vague things along those lines like on the Lonely Planet forums and all, but that's not completely convincing and also since I'm taking two different airlines in and out of Abidjan, I don't want to get caught in any kinks.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I need to go to Paris anyway to fly down, so I'm thinking to Express mail my passport, vaccination card, photos etc. to the Liberian Embassy in Paris. In which case, I can always swing by the Ivoirian embassy if I have to. I tried calling their embassy in the USA but just got bounced around voicemails. I would expect I'd be fine so long as I stay in the International area of the airport, and I'm seeing some vague things along those lines like on the Lonely Planet forums and all, but that's not completely convincing and also since I'm taking two different airlines in and out of Abidjan, I don't want to get caught in any kinks.

It occurred to me that it makes more sense just to go to Paris on Sunday so I can just walk into the Paris Liberian embassy in person bright and early on Monday and file my docs, rather than trying to mail things in, and it's only $50 for next-day turnaround.

Gonna spend the next two days getting my vaccinations and then lazing on the beach and surfing in Matosinos Portugal, flight to Paris on Sunday, got a whole week to deal with visa stuff, tie up loose ends, buy supplies the bosses need carried down. I'd been trying these tricky multi-leg trips to save money because most flights I was looking at to Liberia from Europe were like $1600 or more for one-way and take like 16-22 hours, but checked tonight and for whatever reason, tix on Maroc Airlines are $802 for an 8 hour flight via Casablanca, buying barely a week in advance, so I snatched that up and am feeling pretty satisfied.

Still my all-time coup was getting last year three one-way tickets from Bogota to Washington DC, direct flight on the cushy Avianca Airlines, buying like five days in advance, for US$1000.

I am so, so glad I quit a desk job where I never traveled anywhere. Though actually getting paid reliably would make this a lot sweeter. Crossing fingers that we land the fat contract that we're aiming for.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 17, 2015

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Get the transit visa in advance or risk not being able to board. Star Alliance has on their website a "visa" section that shows you what the gate agents see when they check whether you need a visa.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

BigStu posted:

Did you get 30,000 for $1000 spent? or 50,000 for $2000 spent?

30k for 1k. I don't spend 2k in 3 months.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Has there been a discussion about Avianca's LifeMiles program here?

Swung this yesterday: as internal flights are stupidly expensive in South America, they're all national carrier and price fixed.

BA > Lima, Rio > Bogota, Santiago etc are all $950-$1200 and they don't discount, and there's no value in one flight.

With this Lifemiles 'hack' managed to get Rio to Bogota on the last day of Carnival for $~700US for 2 PAX.

1. Flights are 15k miles each
2. Purchased 6k of miles on Mrs account and transfer them immediately to me (they currently have a 2 for 1 xfer Miles deal) ($33 per 1000 miles + $15 per $1000 miles to transfer so it's $48 per 2000 miles Vs $66 per 2000 miles without the promo. Total cost $~250 for 12k miles.
3. You can use 60/40 split of miles and $ component so the other 18k was ~$420

All ticketed and processed :dance:

This process seems to work for pretty much all Star Alliance routes, the business class legs are really cheap (about 50% more points than econ usually) so might be worth a look even if you're not going to S America.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Adnar posted:

This process seems to work for pretty much all Star Alliance routes, the business class legs are really cheap (about 50% more points than econ usually) so might be worth a look even if you're not going to S America.

Are other Star Alliance carriers like Air Canada in that they won't actually offer business class tickets on long flights through the frequent flyer program? I always get offered economy on my 9 hour segment, and then (for example) business class on a two-hour connection within Europe, all for basically twice the points as booking economy on all segments. Uh, no thank you Air Canada, please go gently caress yourself.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

Are other Star Alliance carriers like Air Canada in that they won't actually offer business class tickets on long flights through the frequent flyer program? I always get offered economy on my 9 hour segment, and then (for example) business class on a two-hour connection within Europe, all for basically twice the points as booking economy on all segments. Uh, no thank you Air Canada, please go gently caress yourself.

Yes, for the most part. Star Alliance flights are all offered to Star Alliance customers. Sometimes Air Canada will miss some, the ANA search engine is the best one and will give you all the available options for the entire *A network.

OneWorld is a bit better for long haul business segments, but in general if you want to book business rewards long haul you either have to book enormously in advance or be super flexible with your dates.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep
Hey all, I have some flights with super short international connections, and was wondering if they are possible.

Both are SCL-DTW, landing at approx. 6am, with 1 hour 30 minutes of layover, but one is IAH as the port of entry, and the other is ATL

I'm not an american citizen, so you know what that means

Thanks in advance for any help

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm going to be around 250k AA miles that I would like to burn on a business class round trip ticket somewhere (or two, if I can swing it - I did IAD - DOH - BKK - NRT - JFK - DCA earlier this year for 120k in biz).

Anyone have suggestion of countries I should visit? LOL. I know I want to go somewhere but have no idea where.

ready...set...go

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Adnar posted:

Has there been a discussion about Avianca's LifeMiles program here?

Swung this yesterday: as internal flights are stupidly expensive in South America, they're all national carrier and price fixed.

BA > Lima, Rio > Bogota, Santiago etc are all $950-$1200 and they don't discount, and there's no value in one flight.

With this Lifemiles 'hack' managed to get Rio to Bogota on the last day of Carnival for $~700US for 2 PAX.

1. Flights are 15k miles each
2. Purchased 6k of miles on Mrs account and transfer them immediately to me (they currently have a 2 for 1 xfer Miles deal) ($33 per 1000 miles + $15 per $1000 miles to transfer so it's $48 per 2000 miles Vs $66 per 2000 miles without the promo. Total cost $~250 for 12k miles.
3. You can use 60/40 split of miles and $ component so the other 18k was ~$420

All ticketed and processed :dance:

Nice find; the value isn't nearly as good without the promo but if you can make it work, go for it. BA offers deals like that with Amex -> Avios from time to time.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Souvlaki ss posted:

Hey all, I have some flights with super short international connections, and was wondering if they are possible.

Both are SCL-DTW, landing at approx. 6am, with 1 hour 30 minutes of layover, but one is IAH as the port of entry, and the other is ATL

I'm not an american citizen, so you know what that means

Thanks in advance for any help

1:30 is questionable for IAH given that the SCL flight arrives along with the GIG and GRU flights. Customs can really back up and that hoses anyone that doesn't have Global Entry (which you can't as a filthy foreigner ;)). I haven't done international arrivals at ATL so I can't comment there.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

dexter6 posted:

I'm going to be around 250k AA miles that I would like to burn on a business class round trip ticket somewhere (or two, if I can swing it - I did IAD - DOH - BKK - NRT - JFK - DCA earlier this year for 120k in biz).

Anyone have suggestion of countries I should visit? LOL. I know I want to go somewhere but have no idea where.

ready...set...go

Go to Chile, or Brazil, or Argentina. Plenty of options out of MIA or DFW on AA or LAN metal.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Mackieman posted:

Nice find; the value isn't nearly as good without the promo but if you can make it work, go for it. BA offers deals like that with Amex -> Avios from time to time.

I dunno, I would have been looking at $2kUSD and got it for $650 (would have been $800 without the transfer promo)

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Digging for an ORD-BKK flight that's ACTUALLY sub $1k. Departure date of December 8, 9, or 10. Return of May 16, 17, or 18.

Hipmunk and Kayak both link me to shadeball sites like Vayama and some other sketchass crap for around $850 with a single stop in Tokyo on both legs of the trip.

Looking at actual legit bookings, the best I can come up with is 2 stops ORD-SEA-ICN-BKK on loving Delta which I hate with a fiery passion for $834 via Priceline. The return flight I don't really care about, but I'd like the flight over to be as painless as possible. 1 stop on a legit carrier. Any pointers?

Edit: JAL has a flight ORD-NRT-BKK for $1206. Guess Sheep-Goats was right about that 1200 barrier :(

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 24, 2015

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FaceEater posted:

Digging for an ORD-BKK flight that's ACTUALLY sub $1k. Departure date of December 8, 9, or 10. Return of May 16, 17, or 18.

Hipmunk and Kayak both link me to shadeball sites like Vayama and some other sketchass crap for around $850 with a single stop in Tokyo on both legs of the trip.

Looking at actual legit bookings, the best I can come up with is 2 stops ORD-SEA-ICN-BKK on loving Delta which I hate with a fiery passion for $834 via Priceline. The return flight I don't really care about, but I'd like the flight over to be as painless as possible. 1 stop on a legit carrier. Any pointers?

Edit: JAL has a flight ORD-NRT-BKK for $1206. Guess Sheep-Goats was right about that 1200 barrier :(

Would you leave a day early to save $300?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

FaceEater posted:

Aside from the guy that posted the CX flight below, BKK is super well served by LCCs so maybe check Google flights for the cheapest destination in SE Asia and then Air Asia etc from there to BKK?