Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

sounds like poo poo will be back to normal some time today.

some science dipshit posted:

NASA’s New Horizons mission is returning to normal science operations after a July 4 anomaly and remains on track for its July 14 flyby of Pluto.

The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter “safe mode” on July 4 has concluded that no hardware or software fault occurred on the spacecraft. The underlying cause of the incident was a hard-to-detect timing flaw in the spacecraft command sequence that occurred during an operation to prepare for the close flyby. No similar operations are planned for the remainder of the Pluto encounter.

so we won't get as cool of an approach animation since it didn't take pictures for a few days, that's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crazy that thing only has 8 gigs of memory.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

euphronius posted:

Crazy that thing only has 8 gigs of memory.

But is it DDR3 or GDDR5 and is there any on chip ESDRAM?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

they build that poo poo to run on super low power and to withstand all the radiation and poo poo in space, its a bit different from regular computers, also was built more than a decade ago

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
How long until conspiracy nuts take this glitch as a sign that something needed suppressing ?

also, could the probe detect a Jupiter mass planet/brown dwarf lurking in the Oort cloud ??

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Decebal posted:

How long until conspiracy nuts take this glitch as a sign that something needed suppressing ?

also, could the probe detect a Jupiter mass planet/brown dwarf lurking in the Oort cloud ??

thats probably too far away but idk

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Decebal posted:

the hubble telescope could detect that, we don't need probes to find things the size of Jupiter lol

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Rutibex posted:

the hubble telescope could detect that, we don't need probes to find things the size of Jupiter lol

since Hubble could barely make out Pluto I thought stuff that was farther away would be even harder to detect

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

they found malaysian airlines 370 and are hiding the evidence

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Hey, has anyone ever mentioned (possibly even itt?) that maybe there is something out there that we're not meant to see? Man that would be spooky!

Anyway, if not, I would like to be officially recognized for being the first to bring this up

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I always wonder that if NASA did find some poo poo if they'd let us know right away or not.

quote:

Please be informed that there is a santa claus
I'm no conspiracy theorist but the delivery of that line has always given me the creeps.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

Decebal posted:

Well, hubble isn't particularly useful for that, but they used the WISE survey to rule out Jupiter sized objects out to 26,000 AU. Also, it was able to detect some very very cool brown dwarfs as far at 10 light years out so it would seem there isn't going to be a brown dwarf in the Oort cloud.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Decebal posted:

since Hubble could barely make out Pluto I thought stuff that was farther away would be even harder to detect

Pluto is small (smaller then then the Moon). Jupiter is very, very large. Like it reflects thousands of times more light.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Decebal posted:

i thought they where using Hubble to detect Jupiter sized planets around other stars? not detailed pictures of course, but enough to know if something is there

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

The Protagonist posted:

I always wonder that if NASA did find some poo poo if they'd let us know right away or not.

Of course not

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Rutibex posted:

i thought they where using Hubble to detect Jupiter sized planets around other stars? not detailed pictures of course, but enough to know if something is there

that's the Kepler telescope

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

blugu64 posted:

Of course not

I mean thats my gut instinct too, but really in the context of say like curiosity spotting an isopod fossil or there being some obviously artificial feature of a distant dwarf planet, what real onus is there to conceal that?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Europa would have been a better target, but we get another 3 Mars missions instead :( James Cameron already made a sub that goes really deep so the work is 50% done. Sure you can't 100% sterilize it, but gently caress dying without seeing what's under that ice for that stupid reason.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Decebal posted:

Europa would have been a better target, but we get another 3 Mars missions instead :( James Cameron already made a sub that goes really deep so the work is 50% done. Sure you can't 100% sterilize it, but gently caress dying without seeing what's under that ice for that stupid reason.

nuts to sterilizing it, if there's no life in that ocean then there drat well will be when we're done with it :science:

Decebal posted:

that's the Kepler telescope
i am apparently behind in my space telescopes

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah that would be the ideal next grand probe mission: sub-carrying nuclear melt probe lander twins to go to Europa and Enceladus respectively. Ceres can come too maybe in this fantasy universe.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I thought the melt probe idea was on of those "sounds nice, but isn't really feasible" things? Wouldn't the water behind the probe freeze and then we're trying to communicate through many kilometers of ice?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

I thought the melt probe idea was on of those "sounds nice, but isn't really feasible" things? Wouldn't the water behind the probe freeze and then we're trying to communicate through many kilometers of ice?

I always assumed there would be a fiber optic cable connecting it to the lander at all times.

loving NASA do Europa already you lazy jerks :argh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wilderthanmild posted:

i always figured the biggest challenge would be making the probe autonomous enough to function. the communication delay would be far to great for remote control, so they would need some kind of AI on the thing

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

^^^ Right, and there's a great deal of productive work already done on this. Gonna dig up a talk

e; here https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_stone_explores_the_earth_and_space

wilderthanmild posted:

You'd lay out cable from the traveling end that could be frozen around. Not to say the whole operation wouldn't be the most technically complex mission ever, it definitely would, but that's just the nature of things. It's worth doing, but the cost could easily run barely shy of a manned mars mission which every idiot would pick over this.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 6, 2015

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Environmentalists lose their poo poo over simple RTG's. Now try selling the public you are going to crash land a nuclear reactor and have it "china syndrome" through the surface in the place most likely to contain life in our solar system.
I have no problem with nuclear power and i'm not sure i could support dropping dirty bombs on Europa. Still plenty left to explore without resorting to things that sound really expensive that we might regret later.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

NihilismNow posted:

Environmentalists lose their poo poo over simple RTG's. Now try selling the public you are going to crash land a nuclear reactor and have it "china syndrome" through the surface in the place most likely to contain life in our solar system.
I have no problem with nuclear power and i'm not sure i could support dropping dirty bombs on Europa. Still plenty left to explore without resorting to things that sound really expensive that we might regret later.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Decebal posted:

we'd know there was a jupiter mass in the theoretical oort cloud just from math

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Decebal posted:

I always assumed there would be a fiber optic cable connecting it to the lander at all times.

loving NASA do Europa already you lazy jerks :argh:

gently caress you and your toy submarines....

e: :argh:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NihilismNow posted:

The Europa lander would have to more sterile than the Martian ones since the aqueous environment would be even more hospitable and a single microbe or virus left could potentially cause catastrophic contamination (or be the actual seed of life for that moon)

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

NihilismNow posted:

Sorry, but this is a stupid sentiment. And we launch RTGs without much issue, there was no public outcry about Curiosity possibly irradiating hypothetical germs on Mars. These are the best and most interesting places to explore and these are the tools we have to achieve it, the impact would be infinitesimal.

As spurious as I think the concern is, biological cross contamination is a far greater possible danger to any possible life than the powersource for the probe.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

NihilismNow posted:

The medium around Jupiter has the most intense radiation anywhere in the Solar system. A small nuclear reactor from earth wouldn't make much difference. Also, wouldn't all that rad. sterilize the lander ?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Decebal posted:

The medium around Jupiter has the most intense radiation anywhere in the Solar system. A small nuclear reactor from earth wouldn't make much difference. Also, wouldn't all that rad. sterilize the lander ?

Tardigrades might survive and we'd be setting ourselves up for an invasion in a few million years.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

NihilismNow posted:

Scale, man. Whatever a nuclear reactor contains is not going to do a whole lot on a planetary (moon..ary?) scale.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
are we there yet

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
Enceladus is where all the 1% will live after the runaway greenhouse gas effect turns earth into Venus

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

khwarezm posted:

are we there yet

I swear to God, I will pull this probe over and you'll regret it.

Do you want me to turn this probe around and go home?
Do you? Because I will

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Do It Once Right posted:

I swear to God, I will pull this probe over and you'll regret it.

Do you want me to turn this probe around and go home?
Do you? Because I will

I wonder what new horizons would look like hitting the earth at whatever crazy speeds it would reach from pluto's orbit.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Did they calculate where it will end up ? Will it pass any stars/solar systems like Voyager ?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Decebal posted:

Did they calculate where it will end up ? Will it pass any stars/solar systems like Voyager ?

they haven't decided where they're going to send it next yet. it's going to go look at another kuiper belt object after pluto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Decebal posted:

more importantly did they put a golden picture directing aliens invaders to earth on it?

• Locked thread