Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Why did this message require mass suicide, when normally astropaths can just psyk at eachother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ralith posted:

Why did this message require mass suicide, when normally astropaths can just psyk at eachother?

You ever get one of those stupid amber alerts on your phone? This but times a dozen. I think only one or two Verizon techies is sacrificed for one of those.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ArbitraryTA posted:

We totally do -not- need an Astropathic choir.

We just won't have the ability to. Y'know. Communicate with anyone across any meaningful distance.
It's basically our ship's CB radio.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

So where is Athena's avatar now? Is it going to be tagging along with us from now on as part of our retinue or is it going to vanish until we feel like talking to her again?

It would be nice to see how the Pillar of Suln affects her, given that it's supposed to be a weapon to defeat her. We should make nabbing Amacita a priority if for no other reason than securing that thing.

Arkanomen posted:

+1 to asking Athena for improvements. Ask her how to build memory storage drives, interfaces for us and her. Begin data dumps and backups and improvements to our-self to alleviate the "slow communication of the ship"

If we are going to be Prometheus, lets start stealing that flame.

This sounds like a good idea

The relationship we have with her has been mostly us giving her things, let's start getting some perks out of it.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

ElrondHubbard posted:

It would be nice to see how the Pillar of Suln affects her, given that it's supposed to be a weapon to defeat her. We should make nabbing Amacita a priority if for no other reason than securing that thing.

When did we learn that?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

ElrondHubbard posted:

So where is Athena's avatar now? Is it going to be tagging along with us from now on as part of our retinue or is it going to vanish until we feel like talking to her again?

Well, question for the thread. I don't want this to be the Athena show, where all the focus is on her. So while Golgotha makes a splendid macguffin, I'm concerned about how she would fit in narratively. Having her aboard lets me do some character development (who is the goddess?) but I don't want to make her a dues ex machina.

And in the maybe-world, your alternate said the Relic of the Lord-Marshall (the anti-tech thing) would help defeat Athena. I'm not sure what I want to do with the Pillar yet.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Athena is obviously busy with other things, but can spare a few cycles of her CPU to chat with us. She's refrained from doing much for us in the past and may not suddenly decide to single handedly solve all of our problems now. She may, in fact, be too preoccupied with Golgotha to help, even if she wanted to or she's testing our worth as a potential partner by forcing us to fix things ourselves. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a Goddess that's been kicked out of paradise and can't even remember why?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I’m going to start doing some galactic SoLs. They aren’t strictly contemporaneous with the main story, galactic travel being what it is, but they are close-ish. +- five years timey wimey you know the drill.

Slice of Life LIII

The Astronomicon flickered.

A beam of psyker energy seventy thousand light years long, it was the living embodiment of the God-Emperor. It had never failed, never stopped. It was the only way to navigate the Warp - and it was gone. In what was known as the Rupture (and later, the First Rupture), the Astronomicon was gone. Millions of ships suddenly found themselves sailing without a guide.

Trillions of souls were scattered across time and space - decades or centuries before or after they had left. Ships intended for one arm of the galaxy ended thousands or tens of thousands of light years away. Crusades were broken, armies shattered, wars started and ended by the cataclysmic phenomenon. Trillions of souls, less lucky, were broken and fed to the ever hungry maws of Chaos.

Instead of the Astronomicon, a single message, searing into every Astropath in the galaxy.

ALL SHIPS. REPORT TO GOLGOTHA. THIS COUNTERMANDS ALL PREVIOUS AND STANDING ORDERS.

And the Astronomicon flickered back on, guiding the might of the entire Imperium to this one, tiny, system.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I dunno, I kinda think they're halfassing their response here.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life LIV

That was when all the Astropaths fell over at once.

Warmaster de Vadallio looked at her bridge, then her sensor suite officers. “What? What is it?” An unpleasant thought occurred to her. “Have the Tyranids broached this system?” That would be a hell of a thing, with the supply lines at Golgotha just secured. The Crusade was actually starting to get momentum, two centuries into it, and the hive-ships were stacking up like so much cordwood.

Aides were helping the Astropaths up. De Vadallio scowled. Whatever it was, it couldn’t have been worth taking out her communications out like that. What if something was happening with the fleets? Or one of the nearby systems? The Hive Mind was a wily beast, although she thought she was getting the grip of it. A few more decades, maybe a century, and the sector would be secured. A life well lived, that.

“Well?”
The first Astropath to return to consciousness spoke, haltingly. “The Fleet is to return to Golgotha.”
“What? We already sent a deci-billion troops there. The threat was resolved.”
“The Fleet is to return.”
“The entire Fleet?”
“All Fleets.”

Silence on the bridge. The Warmaster spoke carefully, like to an explosive with the timer running. “All Fleets. In the sector?”
“In the Imperium.”

A younger officer spoke, and De Vadallio was too flummoxed to discipline him. “Did a new Eye of Terror open?”
“A fully functional STC was found. And the Dark Mechanicus knows it’s there.”
“So we are to abandon the entire Crusade and return to Golgotha?”
“Immediately, as ordered by the High Lords of Terra.”

The Warmaster looked out the viewscreen, at all the systems she had saved, was going to save. All gone now, for the retreat to Golgotha. She took a breath, held it. Breathed out.

“Signal the fleets. All ships to Golgotha.”
“And the planets in the path of the Tyranids?”
She signed the Aquiliae. “May the God-Emperor have mercy on their souls.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 7, 2015

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrTsuvykUZk

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rip those guys lmao

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What does the full scale of all the Imperium's fleets even look like? :suspense:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life LV

Governor Malkum was not a happy man.

It was enough that the Tyranids had decided to strike his world, simply because it was supplying the righteous Crusade to crush the xeno. That had been going well enough, when the Mechanicus had found some super-serum to make them fall over dead. The inhabitants of the hives had been pushing chitin out of the streets for months afterwards.

And the foundries and factories were almost up to 75% pre-war. It had taken a lot of shopping around, buying a billion tech-serfs to replace the ones lost. But they were coming along nicely, and the Ork problem in the South-East wasn’t even that bad. Good live-fire training for the Planetary Defense Forces, although no one sane would let them past the feral stage. Those were bad enough.

And then a signal loud enough to kill the weaker Astropaths. Everyone else had had migraines for hours - it was as if the Astronomicon had been aimed directly at their planet in particular. Perhaps it had been, given what the news said. Plus side, STC on the planet, yay. Minus side, the Great Enemy knew, and Golgotha was going to get the worst working over of any system in millenia.

It’s not like the Hives weren’t already dedicated to the war effort, but this did give them a certain additional incentive.

Millions of artillery pieces were being cast, with troops being trained on them. Malkum wasn’t sure how much time they had, but he was militarizing the entire planet. His Sages were going through the old records, seeing how to best do it - turning a hive-world into a death world. Krieg was the obvious example, although he expected he wouldn’t have to launch the nukes himself. Those would be coming along shortly.

Aside from that, though, he had two main projects. One was finding a nice little bunker for the command staff of the world. He had wanted something kilometers down, and his scouts reported finding an old city near Hive Gamma. An old recycler warren, by the looks of it. It was already being fortified and rigged for command and control. And it was deep enough to survive everything up to and maybe including exterminatus.

The other project was getting into that damnable STC and opening it up for some defense plans. Rocket launched moon destroyers, or something. Finding it had been easy enough, surrounded by a thousand dead Cadians and near as many dead Tyranids. A stasis field wrapped around a complex kilometers long. Now it was just getting into it. Every Tech-Priest had used essentially every weapon, and no luck so far. They were still promising results though.

Malkum rather hoped they would get it before the Great Enemy showed up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Anticheese posted:

What does the full scale of all the Imperium's fleets even look like? :suspense:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere#Dyson_swarm

Multiple.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Dragging all the fleets in the galaxy over seems excessive. It would take decades, at least, for the furthest ones to get there.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Anticheese posted:

Several solar masses :unsmigghh:

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

RandomPauI posted:

Hmm. What if we bought a ship that had a choir on it and slapped it on to ours while we conducted our investigation?

We DO have the information that Agatha's World has multiple warp-capable vessels here. Could simply steal/buy/persuade them to join up with us. Best clean up the blood of our old choir first, though...

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I'm rather unsettled by Athenas insistence on bringing as many ships as possible, as well as her cryptic reference to "Prometheus." If she's planning to attempt to hijack the fleets of the Imperium writ large and take over the galaxy, the billions of naval personel dead will be a drop in the bucket as humanity violently resists what would rightfully appear to be the return of Iron Men. Through cooperation, there's a chance. Coercion? The possible death of Humanity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

I'm rather unsettled by Athenas insistence on bringing as many ships as possible, as well as her cryptic reference to "Prometheus." If she's planning to attempt to hijack the fleets of the Imperium writ large and take over the galaxy, the billions of naval personel dead will be a drop in the bucket as humanity violently resists what would rightfully appear to be the return of Iron Men. Through cooperation, there's a chance. Coercion? The possible death of Humanity.
She gave us the designation Promethius when we first encountered her.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why haven't the forces of Chaos/dark admech/whatever done this before? Kidnap a magos and inquisitor and/or trick a ship into sending the exact same message, but give coordinates for a black hole? Bam, good bye millions of imperium ships.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Outrail posted:

Why haven't the forces of Chaos/dark admech/whatever done this before? Kidnap a magos and inquisitor and/or trick a ship into sending the exact same message, but give coordinates for a black hole? Bam, good bye millions of imperium ships.
The paygrade required for a message like this being taken seriously is very high.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

JT Jag posted:

She gave us the designation Promethius when we first encountered her.

Ah, right. Ominous. I like our liver. :(

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
We are showing man fire with a complete STC.

For those unaware of the significance of this.

The Imperium of Man has been on the technological decline/stagnation for millenia.

A complete STC has the complete technical diagrams of every single thing, including the 70-80% or more that was lost during the Age of Strife before the Emperor came to be.

It would give the Imperium the kind of power that it had when it conquered the entire galaxy. Not the Crusades of the Emperor. I mean when humanity owned the stars almost in their entirety. It contains the entire manufacturing knowledge of all mankind at the absolute pinnacle of technological development.

It would mean the Imperium could win.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I do think the all fleets in the imperium might be over reaching- not because it's not basically the holy grail, but because it doesn't do any good if all humanity has been killed. Some of the fleets are near Cadia and the eye, some you really need to hold off other major threats, as well as to guard Terra and Mars. I could see a third or half going though.

Edit: also, some of them may not be feasible because they won't get there for decades, well after Athena is up and running.

Dunno. Either way, this is a great story!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

STCs used to be commonplace, they were the blueprints that contained everything you could possibly need to make a new colony. Then the Age of Strife occurred, and all the full STCs were lost. Anyone who recovers so much as a fragment of an STC, even for something seemingly useless, is given a planet.

A full STC is priceless.

Kinetica posted:

I do think the all fleets in the imperium might be over reaching- not because it's not basically the holy grail, but because it doesn't do any good if all humanity has been killed. Some of the fleets are near Cadia and the eye, some you really need to hold off other major threats, as well as to guard Terra and Mars. I could see a third or half going though.

I imagine there's a few fleets with the discretion to ignore this order. Not many.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is almost frightening to think what the Imperium could do with this technology, given that it is run by xenophobic religious fanatics, and yet they are still one of the lesser evils among the big races.

I think we should let Athena worry about the big picture, and investigate the planet ourselves. It would be a waste of all of the talents and resources we have gathered if we could just "cheat" with Athenas help.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ElrondHubbard posted:

Athena is obviously busy with other things, but can spare a few cycles of her CPU to chat with us. She's refrained from doing much for us in the past and may not suddenly decide to single handedly solve all of our problems now. She may, in fact, be too preoccupied with Golgotha to help, even if she wanted to or she's testing our worth as a potential partner by forcing us to fix things ourselves. Who knows what goes on in the mind of a Goddess that's been kicked out of paradise and can't even remember why?
Yeah, I think this would be a good way to keep her around, have her available for the occasional chat, but not to solve our problems for us.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Anticheese posted:

Imagine if the Vatican was a spaceship covered in skulls, and then imagine like 100,000 more of those or something.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I don't think there's enough space near Golgotha to fit every Fleet

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kinetica posted:

Edit: also, some of them may not be feasible because they won't get there for decades, well after Athena is up and running.

This is the kind of thing where you don't want not quite enough ships to show up, though. Better too many than too few, especially since we don't know the nature of the threat, nor how many of our own ships have been suborned.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Man, a mind-bogglingly huge amount of people are going to die because we didn't keep track of Mathias and sent him to the Magos with that one vote.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Isn't Athena wrapped in am impenetrable force field? So what if all the Chaos turns up?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

paragon1 posted:

Man, a mind-bogglingly huge amount of people are going to die because we didn't keep track of Mathias and sent him to the Magos WALKED INTO A FUSION BOMB DESPITE THE BIG WARNINGS with that one vote.

If had fate points to burn then this wouldn't have happened :colbert:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I don't think there's enough space near Golgotha to fit every Fleet

Space is pretty big.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Outrail posted:

Isn't Athena wrapped in am impenetrable force field? So what if all the Chaos turns up?

Well, physically impenetrable. I don't think either side has subjected it to the powers of the warp. That's when the fun begins!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life LVI

Patience watched the Imperial fleets enter warp, a sour expression on her face. “That’s it then?”
Herrion pulled out another readout, glanced at it, let it drop. “Full recall of all fleets. The sector is being abandoned.”
“And a trillion humans are converted to Tyranid biomass.”
“Yeah. I guess the cogitators were right. Ohone took the archaeotech away from Footfall. It somehow caused… all this.”
Patience sighed exasperatedly. “You give people one simple rule…”
“I know. I know.”
“And they gently caress it up and we have to clean up the pieces.”
They glanced out the windows. The Tyranid swarms were already overtaking the first of the inhabited planets in the system. Herrion imagined he could hear the screams of a world dying, even from here.
“It’s the Kryptman Protocol. You know it as well as I.”
“I know. I just thought… we’d be given another chance.”
Patience shrugged, not unfeelingly. “Know when to hold them, know when to fold them.”
Herrion reached out, his big bear hand holding hers.

They watched the Tyranids continue their invasion. There was a certain beauty to it.
“It’s that time.”
“Yeah. Yeah.”

They reached out, turned keys in the platform before them. Torpedoes loaded with virus bombs launched.

Exterminatus.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
We lack Promethean foresight. When Prometheus secreted fire within the sailors fennel stalk he well knew he would be chained at the end of creation for eternity having his liver eaten and regenerated daily. He did it anyway. The theft of fire while giving us all the arts and sciences also gave us knowledge of our doom. It gave us a kind of foresight.

1. Yes we need to find Amacita.
2. Did we really send that alarm without a plan for massive profit in place? Who are we?
3. What does Athena want? Apparently she has wants, which is a bit odd. Apparently she is nostalgic, which also seems a bit odd. There is the very notable presence of 'we' in her conversation with us. She will be procreating. No fun being able to throw around stars without someone to do it with who can appreciate it.

"The more ships that participate the better." Either they are raw material or a single source of toxicity is easier to eliminate or if at Golgotha then not somewhere else of vital importance. Why does star throwing Athena care about the Dark Mechanicus again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Slaan posted:

If had fate points to burn then this wouldn't have happened :colbert:

also true