Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Welterweight. It owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Bundt Cake posted:

it was cool dont you remember when robbie went all out right off the bat and the whole fight kinda played out based on that. it was slow but i still liked it because i thought the idea that lawler did that initial huge attack was gripping. it could've been a huge mistake if he gassed himself without doing enough damage, but as the fight went on it seemed like he had landed enough knees to tire hendricks out more. to me, its really one of the more intriguing fights lately. cuz i guess we'll never get to know why Lawler did what he did, but it was a huge gamble that actually paid off and he got a deserved decision in a close fight against a guy who fares really well in close rounds because hes always coming forward and has the wrestling and power advantage against almost everyone. its up there with the Chuck moments we were talking about, for me
I enjoyed it very much aside from the round of attrition and the end was an all-time great MMA moment

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

and the end was an all-time great MMA moment

this can't be overstated.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i thought the fence hugging while not gripping was cool and played an important role in johny being able to have some good moments on the feet. it was one of hte most engaging and compelling fights i've ever seen

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I wanna see Hendricks fight robbie again, Rory multiple times, Matt brown again, Maia, dan Quinn, Jon Fitch again, Keith jardine, woodley, condit again, etc

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Lawlers gonna spend all fight shutting down rorys jab and beat the crap out of him, much like the first fight

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Aldo pissed clean but the NSAC have decided not to release the Irishman's results because it's the NSAC and they hate making sense

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Rory basically has to fight the perfect fight for 5 rounds and not get hit at all, I don't see it happening.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I hope Robbie beats the tar out of Rory.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

That's probably going to happen, unfortunately. I like Rory :smith:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

it's kind of baffling to me. since getting tuned up by robbie he very, very nearly lost to a criminally gassed maia, and was able to be same old rory against woodley and saffadeine. i've seen no significant improvement. since bashing up rory, robbie has had 2 really close fights against the next best guy in the division and murdered ellenberger / dominated matt brown. i don't see how people are seriously predicting a rory win

It's a fight that, for whatever reason, people remember really poorly. People have it as one of those fights where first round went to one fighter, second round to the other, and the third was a toss up. It really isn't. The winner of each round is pretty goddamn clear.

Skip My Posts posted:

Welterweight. It owns

It does, in fact own. A division full of handsome, rad fighters

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
Come and join my doomsday cult!

1st AD posted:

-Ronda has PPV points
-For at least one fight Zuffa paid for her to have a 2nd apartment so she wouldn't need to commute 4 hours a day between Glendale and Venice

Also going back to an earlier topic, I feel like lots of fighters could get more perks if they did the bare minimum to promote a loving fight. When they were doing promotion for Rousey/McMann, McMann was basically saying "well Ronda can do all the promoting and I'll just train," ignoring the fact that Liz Carmouche got backroom bonuses for playing along with the media and promotion in her fight. Then McMann got stopped in 17 seconds.

I agree with your overall point, but Sara McMann was taking care of her dying father at the time, cut her some slack (also she got stopped in 66 seconds, but whatever).

More recently McMann did an open call-out and managed to get a top 10 fighter lined up almost immediately. I think she's learning on the whole self-promotion thing. If I have a major criticism of McMann it's that someone with her wrestling pedigree and freakish athleticism should move to a gym where she can actually grow as a fighter instead of sticking in South Carolina.

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005
The UFCFIGHTERSiNFO Twitter bot is reporting the following profiles have been pulled:

Dudes we knew about :
-Brian Ebersole
-Luke Barnatt
-Dhiego "The Other One" Lima

13 New Firings:
SW:
-Jessica Rakoczy (0-2 UFC record)
-Lisa Ellis (0-2 UFC record)
FLW:
-Bentley Syler (lost in the 1st round of TUF Latin America, then got KO'd at UFC 188)
-Nolan Ticman (0-2 UFC record)
-Josh Sampo (1-3 UFC record, lost 3 in a row)
FW:
-Hatsu Hioki (lost 5 of his last 6, last two fights lost by stoppage)
-Robbie Peralta (this one's kinda confusing; lost 2 in a row, but 4-3 overall UFC record and his last 2 losses were hardly to scrubs (no matter what you may think of Clay Guida these days))
LW:
-Justin Edwards (lost 3 in a row and 4 of his last 5)
-Zhang Lipeng (2-2 overall record, but lost his last 2, both times to bad* fighters)
WW:
-Andrew Todhunter (late notice signee for Mexico City who fainted while trying to make weight; overall UFC record is 0-0)
-Wendell Oliveira (0-2 UFC record)
-Luiz Dutra (0-2 UFC record)
LHW:
-Ryan Jimmo (should have kept his union pinko Commie mouth shut)

*: by UFC standards

Chrom1um fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 7, 2015

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Hioki could be real fun in Bellator

Chrom1um
Dec 31, 2005

Lloyd Boner posted:

Hioki could be real fun in Bellator

Maybe. Peralta seems like an easy signing for Bellator (Coker already hired him once before when he got signed to Strikeforce). WSoF will take Jimmo if Bellator doesn't, and I could see the WSoF taking Josh Sampo for their new FLW division.

If Lisa Ellis doesn't retire, she's a natural Atomweight and theoretically could be useful in Invicta if they wanted to really develop that division.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'll bet Hioki really wishes he could time travel back to 2011 when he was the uncrowned champ of featherweight.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think Robbie Peralta was a Coker signing, Coker wasn't in the arena when he fought Takaya and I really think he was just some local undercard guy brought in to fill cardspace as per Strikeforce's MO.

The only Zuffa guy who even saw that fight at ringside was Reed Harris.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Hioki needs to go back to Japan where the competition is easier, but for real not as an ironic joke about how bad Chris Leben got his rear end kicked

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

NASAC released Aldo's tests because he is no longer fighting, Chad and Conor will have theirs released after 189 as per policy.

https://twitter.com/marc_raimondi/status/618197669584859136

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

is Zhang Lipeng the fastest release of a TUF winner

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Firas did a pretty great breakdown of Chad/Conor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=016paChdm2I

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Aurain posted:

Nope, but trying to give yourself the old self-suck for a bad reason is better than for no reason. I dunno if there's a good reason for it.

You seem to be insinuating that sucking your own dick is a bad thing?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
What did Ryan Jimmo say to earn the cut?

/edit
Oh, his Reebok deal criticism?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 7, 2015

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
drat, I had just ordered my $95 Bentley Syler Reebok Fight Kit Jersey.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What did Ryan Jimmo say to earn the cut?

/edit
Oh, his Reebok deal criticism?

Who would have thought that we'd be here, two weeks shy of 3 years since Jimmo one punch kayoed Anthony Perosh and Hippo would still be a UFC fighter and Jimmo would be gone?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I remember FD saying that was going to be an ugly fight in all senses of the word and dyin laughing

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Firas did a pretty great breakdown of Chad/Conor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=016paChdm2I

Its a pretty horrible breakdown tbh, its more like a list of some moves that the guys do. Its not a bad video but i was just sad that there was no insight in it

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

manyak posted:

Its a pretty horrible breakdown tbh

manyak posted:

same tbh

manyak posted:

sounds like your drat gf

FYI TBH that video is 2G2BT, SRY

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 7, 2015

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Oh. Good one

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

manyak posted:

Its a pretty horrible breakdown tbh, its more like a list of some moves that the guys do. Its not a bad video but i was just sad that there was no insight in it

That is one way of putting it I suppose! I wouldn't agree though, I think a showcase of their most commonly used moves and how they put them together is all you want before a fight. Anything else would be speculation at best, which is fun but no more informative than a lack of it. I'd love to see him to a breakdown of the fight afterwards far more than before!

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

the fight network in canada is good at doing analysis of fighters' nuances and technique but the guy who does it looks weird !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2M6b16FpAk

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

That is one way of putting it I suppose! I wouldn't agree though, I think a showcase of their most commonly used moves and how they put them together is all you want before a fight. Anything else would be speculation at best, which is fun but no more informative than a lack of it. I'd love to see him to a breakdown of the fight afterwards far more than before!

Theres not a lot in there about how they put them together though, or why what they do works or doesn't work, or how it might work better or worse against this specific opponent

I just expected more from firas than stuff like "conor throws a lot of weird kicks, if the wheel kick lands it could be a knockout" well yeah. I agree

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

When I really want to see how a fight is going to go I usually read Sherdog

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

acai moonsault posted:

the fight network in canada is good at doing analysis of fighters' nuances and technique but the guy who does it looks weird !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2M6b16FpAk

Yeah this is pretty good even though he is weird

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Robin Black is a former fighter who was a former drug-added glam-punk frontman. His life has basically been a sequence of things that mash your brain and make you weird.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Brutal

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

CommonShore posted:

Robin Black is a former fighter who was a former drug-added glam-punk frontman. His life has basically been a sequence of things that mash your brain and make you weird.

Oh poo poo thats Robin Black?! He is loving unrecognisable now.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

I think Fozzy the Bear is trying to mock Manyak for using tbh once. Really loving stupid imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
It isnt the first and wont be the last time i get owned online. But i hope we can all move on to greener pastures

• Locked thread