Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

hellraiser 2 was the best because it's this fun adventure movie that kinda feels like Labyrinth only instead of a jim henson wonderland it's hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hellraiser: Hellhole, was pretty bad. It's the one where the portal to hell is a glory hole in a dingy truck stop bathroom. There are only so many ways you can show dudes sticking their dicks into hell before it gets stale.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

the one where the girl runs into the church and is all
"father there is a demon after me"
and he's all
"demons are just aren't real. they're just parables"
and then pinhead shows up
and the camera zooms in on her and she's all
"then what the gently caress is that?!"
that owned. hellraiser movies own.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

ProfessorMurder posted:

If Doug Bradley isnt Pinhead, I'm out

you know that is not a barometer for quality

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Today I learned that James Cameron wrote Rambo First Blood Part 2.

Anyway franchises are poo poo. The reason the first two Terminators are awesome is not because they're about future robot assassins; it's because James Cameron wrote and directed them. The reason the first two Alien movies are good isn't because they're about creepy aliens; it's because Ridley Scott and James Cameron did them. The reason the first two Hellraiser's are (according to people that like that kinda thing) good isn't because they're about creepy demons; it's because Clive Barker wrote them.

Friday the 13th has just gotten better with each movie

The one in space was legit

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdzmcJrG-MY

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

so the cenobytes are from another dimension and not hell right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

im pooping! posted:

No, they're from hell.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

cenobytes always sounded like a delicious snack

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

This, but get the Netherrealm guys to go around collecting more movie licenses and use the Mortal Kombat X engine to make the best fighting game of the 21st Century.

Just using 80s slashers/monsters alone you've got a potential roster of:

* Freddy
* Jason
* Pinhead
* Michael Myers (would be very hard as his elements were ripped off so thoroughly by Jason, but he's such an icon you can't leave him out)
* Leatherface
* Alien
* Predator
* Chucky
* Killer Klowns
* The Thing
* An American Werewolf in London
* Ash/Deadites
* Brundlefly
* Someone from either the Lost Boys or Fright Night, take your pick. A cool 80s vampire is what we're after here.
* Herbert West/the Re-Animated
* Gremlins/Billy Pelzer/Gizmo
* Kirsty Swanson from a Deadly Friend (evil robot)
* Pennywise (kind-of cheating because the TV miniseries was the 90s but **come on** it's Pennywise, and the book IT was 1986 so...)
* Pumpkinhead
* The ghost from Poltergeist?
* Isaac and the Children of the Corn

Tell me that wouldn't work like gangbusters.

* C.H.U.D.
* Bud the C.H.U.D.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
First one was really good, second one was good also.

All other ones suck.

Nightbreed was OK.

Not sure if I would like Weaveworld or not, maybe, if Barker stays involved, but a good horror directors often turn to poo poo when they get old (Romero, Argento).

Read Barker's Hellbound Heart if you haven't, it isn't long, and is good.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Also watch this if you haven't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eea8W6g-5OU

You can see the nail grid that inspired Pinhead, a guy getting his skin peeled off at the end, and it also features a naked Clive Barker spinning around like a ninny whilst sporting an erection.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Maldoror posted:

First one was really good, second one was good also.

All other ones suck.

Nightbreed was OK.

Not sure if I would like Weaveworld or not, maybe, if Barker stays involved, but a good horror directors often turn to poo poo when they get old (Romero, Argento).

Read Barker's Hellbound Heart if you haven't, it isn't long, and is good.

Nightbreed! I used to walk past that VHS, pick it up, look at all the pictures, re-read the synopsis and then put it back because I was 8 and couldn't rent it. Every single time I went to the supermarket. I don't know why but it fascinated me and I completely forgot about it until just now.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I read Imajica by Clive Barker. It's filled with sex magic gay demon butt loving.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ProfessorMurder posted:

I'd like to see Pinhead vs. Freddy vs. Jason vs. Leatherface vs. Chucky

I want the Expendables with slasher villains.

So guys, we need to slaughter this orphanage. Jason you take the roof, Chucky you enter the basement window

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Nightbreed! I used to walk past that VHS, pick it up, look at all the pictures, re-read the synopsis and then put it back because I was 8 and couldn't rent it. Every single time I went to the supermarket. I don't know why but it fascinated me and I completely forgot about it until just now.

It's actually pretty good, even if it's not REALLY a horror flick. It should still be on Netflix if you want to shatter the mystique.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

TheJoker138 posted:

For real though, it's the newest one, Revelations. It was basically an ashcan movie made only so the studio would keep the rights, was made in less than a month, and was so bad even Doug Bradley, who had played Pinhead in every single one before it, refused to come back because he thought it would hurt the good name of the franchise.

This is Doom House with pins.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

im pooping! posted:

TheJoker138 posted:

No, they're from hell.

Not exactly. First two films imply they were beings who worship Leviathan, another entity in the biblical universe. And their worship is the experience of extreme pleasures that came from pain.
The third and later films implied they were from hell.
One of them (forget which one) that said they were just the agents to deal out the pain on the way to hell.

Wost Hellraiser has to be all after the second, as they are poo poo in a different way.

FFS one of them has a blue smurf Pinhead.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
was going to say the mansion one but op answered his own question

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

hellraiser 2 was the best because it's this fun adventure movie that kinda feels like Labyrinth only instead of a jim henson wonderland it's hell

that's legit how I felt about the movie as well. After that, well who gives a poo poo. I think a grim jumpscare reboot with really spooky visual cues would entertain modern horror movie goers, but I suppose if it doesn't have the guy from Insidious in it, people won't watch it.

MantisToboggan
Feb 1, 2013

ProfessorMurder posted:

Clive Barker is awesome and they should not do another Hellraiser unless he is involved

I'm a big fan of his older work but his latest novel, which is a sequel to Hellraiser and is all about Pinhead, is absolutely awful. It's the first book I've read that made me embarrassed for the author. It ends with Pinhead and Satan getting into a sword fight which reads like a fight from Dragon Ball Z. Yeah.

So The Scarlet Gospels is the worst Hellraiser, even though it's not a movie.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

MantisToboggan posted:

I'm a big fan of his older work but his latest novel, which is a sequel to Hellraiser and is all about Pinhead, is absolutely awful. It's the first book I've read that made me embarrassed for the author. It ends with Pinhead and Satan getting into a sword fight which reads like a fight from Dragon Ball Z. Yeah.

You've just convinced me to buy and read this book immediately.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I particularly liked the part where Pinhead was getting his rear end handed to him by Satan and Harry D'Amour's like, gently caress it, let's run, what's he gonna do, stop swordfighting Satan to chase us? Then Pinhead invoked the Final Configuration which is an eldritch incantation that opens a portal to uhh... Well the Universe is like a big rock and underneath the rock are some creepy crawly things, basically the Outsiders from Stephen King's Bag of Bones and Pet Sematary. So Pinhead has those creepy crawlies possess him to give him ultimate power, then he turns into a being of pure energy and hits Satan five hundred times at once, it really is an eldritch version of DBZ with Harry and the medium from Coldheart Canyon playing the roles of Krillin and Yamcha standing on the sidelines going, what power, what speed, his power level is off the scale!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MantisToboggan posted:

There was a series of Hellraiser comics and there were some pretty good ones that were just stand alone stories (like one about a gunslinger in the old west playing poker against guy who had a puzzle box and the guy is all "if you win I'll give you something beyond measure" then the gunslinger wins and the guy leaves with the box.) but then Barker started writing some and his were about a group of people who all get superpowers that let them fight the Cenobites.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I'm always shocked at how many people like #2 given that they beat leviathan with the power of pinhead's inner humanity and love and bleehhhhh

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I'm always shocked at how many people like #2 given that they beat leviathan with the power of pinhead's inner humanity and love and bleehhhhh

Dr. Channard is cool.

I own all of them except the newest. 1 and 2 I bought seperately, and the others came in a set with all the Prophecy movies. That cost me five bucks.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i only watched 1 and 2 and thought they were cool. i liked it when pinhead melted the cross on the priest's hand

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i only watched 1 and 2 and thought they were cool. i liked it when pinhead melted the cross on the priest's hand

I think that's number 3

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
Hellraiser da derpa derpa derpa derp

Until on day, da derpa derpa der!

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

I wish the entirety of Nightbreed would have been like the meat scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdcktta2BZk

also the villain had a great mask but i dont find cronenberg very scary (his movies are good tho)

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
1 and 2 are legit good movies the worst one is either the loving video game one or the boring as poo poo one about that dumb cult

the franchise in general is pretty sweet if demons and torture are your poo poo tho

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Uncle Wemus posted:

John Cenabite

U cant unsee me

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The space one. The worst film in every horror franchise is the one where they go to space. I wrote an article about it:
http://www.blastr.com/2014-10-2/7-horror-characters-who-never-should-have-gone-space

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I think that's number 3

oh really, my bad. it's been so long.

i like the idea of dudes who just got so physical sensation that they wraparound from pleasure to pain and it's all the same for them. it's a cool idea not just as a monster flick, but in general

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Huh? Pinhead and his whole crew got diced after trying to stand against Channard. Kirsty and Julia beat Leviathan with puzzle magic, spare skin, and feminine wiles.

Seriously, the scene where the cenobites remember they were human, turn against Channard, and end up getting slaughtered on the spot is one of my favorites. They don't make it to the final fight and are ultimately irrelevant. Their odd placement in the first two movies is masterful for a time that was desperate for iconic horror villains.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Knight posted:

Huh? Pinhead and his whole crew got diced after trying to stand against Channard. Kirsty and Julia beat Leviathan with puzzle magic, spare skin, and feminine wiles.

Seriously, the scene where the cenobites remember they were human, turn against Channard, and end up getting slaughtered on the spot is one of my favorites. They don't make it to the final fight and are ultimately irrelevant. Their odd placement in the first two movies is masterful for a time that was desperate for iconic horror villains.

I only saw it once a couple years ago I just remember hating that they were already giving pinhead a heart of gold deep down and I still had like 7 movies to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

MantisToboggan posted:

drat, sounds like Clive might have lost his talent. A sword fight with Satan? Satan must have a power level OVER 9000!

Why would he even want to fight Satan?

• Locked thread