Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SynthOrange posted:

This gamedev is going to be filled with out of control cars. :v:
Clearly, you should've made an aquarium game without fish, so it's just thousands of out of control ragdolling shrimp, and the player's desperate attempts to keep their population under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Whuff, finally gotten some time to sit down and design doc the idea, which is a completely different one to the one I had at the beginning. Already thinking how to put a cat in there, because it must have a cat. Not to mention how to quickly model and animate a cat. That could be a problem.

EDIT: For anyone else who is brave or foolish enough (or both) to be a first timer wanting to mess with procedural map generation, a start in Unity can be found here. Shared because it's an interesting Unity tutorial for first timers, and because I like seeing people mess with Procedural Generation.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 8, 2015

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I did it I did it I did it!!!

I spent two days worrying that this (having the character stay on top of a moving platform) would be really hard, after looking at a tutorial that was rather unnecessarily convoluted. After briefly taking a look at an entirely different tutorial, however, I realized the solution was as simple as adding n, where n equals the platform's speed (with "speed" measured in pixels per second) to the player's x and y values, where necessary. This is so shockingly simple and lightweight that I'd be frustrated about spending so long deliberating over the matter if I wasn't so happy that it just works!

Other than this, I've also added functional (but extremely bloated) lasers. I'm getting very close to having all the elements I need to make proper levels in this game. My next challenge is figuring out how to call the identities of specific instances in some way or another - I have something I'd like to do where the player can zip into a very certain object and then immediately teleport to another of that same object with the same color.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
There's a bunch of game making related stuff up on https://www.humblebundle.com/ right now for cheap that might be useful

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Awright it works!

Still to do:
Gameplay: Scoring, delivery zones and victory/failure states, enemy vehicle ai?
Graphics: More models, levels!
Sound: Oh god I need a sound person! HELP

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A bus that just shotgun blasts people out the front when it crashes? :allears:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I mean I'm gonna miss the buss that had a million people spraying out of it in every direction but this is good too.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Starting late, but I'm signing up as one-man Team MilSperg and I'm making a strategy war game where you don't do any of the fighting.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Starting late, but I'm signing up as one-man Team MilSperg and I'm making a strategy war game where you don't do any of the fighting.

Battlefield Manager!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SynthOrange posted:

Awright it works!

Still to do:

I'm excited about this game.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

SynthOrange posted:

Awright it works!

Still to do:

Pretty sure you have gameplay. If you could just drive around a neighborhood/city/hellscape and lauch screaming children from your bus, I'd be good.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Wow, that's way better than my idea.

I've really been struggling coming up with anything that's both not too much work and also has gameplay, I've been working a lot recently so tomorrow I'll try actually getting started on my game.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

psivamp posted:

Pretty sure you have gameplay. If you could just drive around a neighborhood/city/hellscape and lauch screaming children from your bus, I'd be good.

Oh my god. Perfect use for this idea. School bus that can drift, and launch children from the rear using the drift to propel them. Your gameplay is getting the kids home from school fast, in a Crazy Taxi/Paperboy mashup. Score points based on target accuracy and lose points from crashing and damaging the bus. The Critical Omission: A safe driver with concern for the life of his passengers.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

G-Prime posted:

Score points based on target accuracy and lose points from crashing and damaging the bus. The Critical Omission: A safe driver with concern for the life of his passengers.

Bullshit, no lost points for anything and points gained are solely based on speed of delivery. Fire those kids off like a machine gun, at least one of them will get into the house expecting a kid to be dropped off there, MISSION COMPLETE

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SynthOrange posted:

Awright it works!

Still to do:
Feature request: play a party blower "pweeee!" sound every time children are launched.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Shalinor posted:

Feature request: play a party blower "pweeee!" sound every time children are launched.

One sound per child launched, though.

Ooh, or the Grunt Birthday Party sound effect.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Got some map highlighting going on.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Got some map highlighting going on.

Respect, yo. I did that in javascript once...I still have nightmares about it...

p3r
Oct 14, 2012
First time using the box2d engine, think I've got the basics down. https://streamable.com/vmm9

Thinking about Trials like game without breaks. Already got a crude way of making polygon based levels but now I need to create something resembling a vehicle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What are you writing it in? Because that doesn't seem to lose any frames when things get busy.

p3r
Oct 14, 2012

xzzy posted:

What are you writing it in? Because that doesn't seem to lose any frames when things get busy.

I'm using love2d. I have pretty a beefy CPU (4670k overclocked to 4.2 ghz) so that probably helps keeping the framerate higher than most computers.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Progress!

This one took two epiphanies and a bit of work to figure out, but I now have a way to set up two (or more) points that the player can teleport to just by dashing into whichever one. This ended up being more difficult than I expected. At first, I thought it would be as easy as declaring two variables (port#x and port#y) for a specific port number, then calling port1X/port1Y, port2X/port1Y, etc. depending on the port number of the specific object. After about an hour of messing with things, I suddenly realized that this solution wouldn't work because each instance of the object had its own value of port1X, port2X, and so on, rather than referring to the other instance's values. With that in mind, I created a new object that holds onto those values, so the actual, visible objects can refer to them when necessary. It seems rather obvious in retrospect, I suppose (and it's probably blindingly clear to those of you who actually have any sort of experience with this), but ah well. I may later trash the extra object and just store those values with the other global variables.

At this point, all the main, difficult tasks are out of the way. Now I just need to go back through everything and clean up, polish, tweak etc. until I feel comfortable designing proper levels.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've basically got the basics of a light ProgressQuest clone with a completely useless town map:
http://tristram.atzok.com/HelloWorld.html

It's already strangely hypnotic to watch, mostly because of the randomized monster names.

edit: My favorite so far is "Boiling Dog"
... or "Gelatinous Unicorn"

SlightlyMadman fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 8, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Guess who's back!

I promise the game will be less painful to play this time.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Guess who's back!

I promise the game will be less painful to play this time.

Yaaaaay!

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Let's talk resolutions.

I'm bad at drawing. Fortunately, through the magic of a scanner, potrace (magically traces a vector image from a bitmap), Inkscape, and inverse kinematics I can create passable artwork. But this is absolutely the smallest it can get:

How many people would balk if my game's resolution were 1152 x 864 in order to support my beautiful, glorious artwork?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

had an insanely productive night last night, so today i can sink hours into yoshi's woolly world guilt-free.

most of the core stuff is done. title screen, transitions, game end situation, score counter, diver controls. wahoo! as well as generic things like cloud shapes and background colours, a bunch of other stuff is randomised in it too. i've got it generating birds in random positions with increasing intensity the further you fall. now for the rest of the month i can get busy on other enemies (witches / sentient thunderclouds, / maybe other skydivers?) and their behaviour, and hopefully spend the last week tuning it so it's addictive. if it's a stupid simple idea like this ideally the game shouldn't be bogged down in too much crap, it should just be addictive to play and easy to hit 'start again'.

(if it's not really clear i'm having a super super fun time just making this poo poo. can't believe i haven't done this before.)

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

(Large version)

Right now I'm still focusing on the core gameplay, and trying to make sure that the act of driving is consistently fun.

A big part of that has been working on the physics, and trying to get that just right. I'm mostly letting Unity do the heavy lifting for me, but I've been tweaking physics values and messing with collider shapes to get things working better. My number one improvement so far has been getting the car to flip onto its side and back less so you can go wilder with the bouncing and not have to worry so much. I think I'm pretty close to what I want, except for a few bugs that show up every now and then.

The other big thing I've been working on is trying to figure out what makes levels work, and how I can set up obstacles so that you have the best chance of bouncing off of them in interesting ways. I've still got a ways to go on that.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

This looks awesome! Is it a first time game? If so congrats!

One constructive thing: The player being so far down screen makes for a nice speedy feel but doesn't offer much reaction time. Assuming the obstacles come from below you are basically putting 3/4 of the screen real estate in the rear-view mirror.

\/\/\/\/

Not a unity guy, but can colliders and rigid bodies be bound? It seems like you should be able to make a bottom heavy roll-caged mass out of a box and cylinder if the box can take brunt of the mass distribution. Maybe that's what you are doing :)

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 9, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:argh: I've been having the same issues. The bus loves flipping the gently caress over once it runs into low obstacles.

I hope we're running divergently enough though that we're not ending up with identical games. :v:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

SynthOrange posted:

:argh: I've been having the same issues. The bus loves flipping the gently caress over once it runs into low obstacles.

I hope we're running divergently enough though that we're not ending up with identical games. :v:

I was able to mostly solve the flipping issues by lowering the center of mass on the player car. That produced some other issues, with the car spinning in completely bizarre orbits, or sometimes being too stable, but it's helped a lot with that.

And yeah, I hope we don't have identical games, too. :v: But seeing as there's competition in no-brakes car land, I've been leaning more into the fast, frictionless, and super-bouncy part of my idea. I think it should make our games feel pretty different to play even if our premises are pretty similar.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BossRighteous posted:

This looks awesome! Is it a first time game? If so congrats!

One constructive thing: The player being so far down screen makes for a nice speedy feel but doesn't offer much reaction time. Assuming the obstacles come from below you are basically putting 3/4 of the screen real estate in the rear-view mirror.

it is! thanks! not to worry, that's just the gif - the dude is much closer to the top of the screen than it indicates (it's about double the size downwards, a narrow column.)

edit: i can honestly not wait to play Bouncy Times Car Annihilation, it looks like crazy taxi on acid

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is basically all I enjoy doing in gta v so I guess that means you're going in the right direction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Takanago posted:

I was able to mostly solve the flipping issues by lowering the center of mass on the player car. That produced some other issues, with the car spinning in completely bizarre orbits, or sometimes being too stable, but it's helped a lot with that.

And yeah, I hope we don't have identical games, too. :v: But seeing as there's competition in no-brakes car land, I've been leaning more into the fast, frictionless, and super-bouncy part of my idea. I think it should make our games feel pretty different to play even if our premises are pretty similar.

Oh yeah I guess that could be the easy option :v:

I was worried I'd have to do a constant orientation correction thing: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/10425/how-to-stabilize-angular-motion-alignment-of-hover.html

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
Late to the party but I finally started working on my entry!

All I've done so far is the basic model of the player character, there is also gonna be a bad-rear end motorcycle at some point

Svampson fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 9, 2015

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power

alf_pogs posted:

had an insanely productive night last night, so today i can sink hours into yoshi's woolly world guilt-free.

most of the core stuff is done. title screen, transitions, game end situation, score counter, diver controls. wahoo! as well as generic things like cloud shapes and background colours, a bunch of other stuff is randomised in it too. i've got it generating birds in random positions with increasing intensity the further you fall. now for the rest of the month i can get busy on other enemies (witches / sentient thunderclouds, / maybe other skydivers?) and their behaviour, and hopefully spend the last week tuning it so it's addictive. if it's a stupid simple idea like this ideally the game shouldn't be bogged down in too much crap, it should just be addictive to play and easy to hit 'start again'.

(if it's not really clear i'm having a super super fun time just making this poo poo. can't believe i haven't done this before.)

Goddamn, dude's loving producing!

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
The no breaks thing gave me the idea for a no steering game. You just accelerate or break and then would have to rely on the terrain to turn you.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

"Them duke boys never shoulda' started with crystal meth."

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Aredna posted:

The no breaks thing gave me the idea for a no steering game. You just accelerate or break and then would have to rely on the terrain to turn you.

This would totally work in a monkeyball sort of scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Aredna posted:

Reminds me of that bizarre japanese game where you drift trains

• Locked thread