Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Shoeless posted:

I figure this turn is either going to go amazingly well for us, or incredibly, devastatingly badly for us.

Same thoughts for my side, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Hey Gnoman, any idea on if you'll get the turn processed tonight, or should I go to bed?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It's not going to be until later, I'm afrad.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Gnoman posted:

It's not going to be until later, I'm afrad.

I figured you probably have a lot of damage rolls to do, lol.

Coolio, I'll head to bed and check it in the morning then.

Thanks for running this! I'm having lots of fun

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Gorn ships using tactical maneuvers

Kzinti ships speed 9

Serpenticon fires a strength 60 plasma torpedo

Devouerer Of Souls fires 3 drones, speed 12
Ravager Of worlds fires 4 drones, speed 12

Both Kzinti ships lash the Serpenticon with overcharged disruptor fire. At such close range, the jamming does little to hinder Ravager's fire, and both bolts cut through the small amount of general reinforcement and tear into Serpenticon's #3 shield. Serpenticon shield 3 at 50%! Devourer doesn't handle the jamming as well, and misses cleanly.

Ravager Of Worlds rolls (with +2 malus) 3,5 (HH)
Devouer of Souls rolls (with +2 malus) 8,5 (MM)

Impulse 2

Ravager of Worlds fires her phaser-1s as soon as they cool down enough from their previous firing, sending the temperature of the phaser compartments skyrocketing and making Engineer rather concerned. It was not worth the strain on the systems, as the jamming caused one beam to miss completely and the other to only graze Serpenticon's shield. Even a graze does some damage, and Serpenticon's shield drops to 37%

Impulse 3

The salvo from Ravager approaches the Gorn ships, and is torn into by phaser fire from the Sauricon's 2 starboard phasers and the Serpenticon's 2 aft phasers. The Gorn defensive coordinator failed to account for the durability of heavy drones, and only one drone is destroyed. Sauricon also uses 1 starboard phaser to destroy the remaining drone from an earlier salvo.

Devouerer of Souls fires vainly at the incoming plasma torpedo with phaser-3s, inflicting 21 damage points on it and reducing the warhead to 50.

Phaser rolls for anti-drone fire
Phaser Rolls for anti-torpedo fire

Impulse 4
Strength 50 enveloping plasma torpedo impacts on Devourer of Souls. General reinforcement reduces the warhead slightly.
Devourer of souls shield 1 at 66%!
Devourer of souls shield 2 at 63%!
Devourer of souls shield 3 at 63%!
Devourer of souls shield 4 at 68%!
Devourer of souls shield 5 at 68%!
Devourer of souls shield 6 at 63%!

Serpenticon turns to face B

Serpenticon and Sauricon do not have enough phasers available to stop the inbound drones, so they each drop a Wild Weasel shuttle. All drones are now tracking the wild weasel. Tractor beams break lock due to fire control disruption

Impulse 5
4 Type-III-M drones impact on Serpenticon Wild Weasel. 7 points of collatteral damage inflicted on Sauricon #4 shield. Sauricon shield 4 at 70%! 3 points of collateral damage inflicted on Serpenticon #1 shield. Serpenticon shield 1 at 90%!

Impulse 6
3 Type-V drones impact on Serpenticon WW. 8 points of collateral damage inflicted on Sauricon #2 shield. Sauricon shield 2 at 66%! 8 Points of collateral damage inflicted on Serpenticon #5 shield. Serpentico shield 5 at 66%!

Impulse 8
3 Type-V drones impact on Serpenticon WW. 8 points of collateral damage inflicted on Sauricon #6 shield. Sauricon shield 2 at 66%! 8 Points of collateral damage inflicted on Serpenticon #2 shield. Serpentico shield 5 at 29%!

Devourer of Souls fires her phaser 1s at Serpenticon. Despite heavy jamming from the destroyed weasel, both manage to impact the #6 shield, dropping it to 66%.

Devourer of souls phaser 1 rolls (with +4 malus) 5, 5

Impulse 9

Serpenticon's destroyed weasel ceases to provide protection, and Serpenticon begins to bring fire control back online.

Impulse 10
Devourer of souls launches 1 speed 12 drone.

Impulse 14
Serpenticon's fire control comes back online, too late to prevent the impact of a Type-V drone on shield 6. Serpenticon shield 6 DOWN! Shrapnel lashes the ship, destroying the port impulse engine, the forward crew quarters on the port side, and opening the entire science department (all labs) into space. 2 Impulse destroyed.

Serpenticon launches a speed 6 plasma torpedo. Devourer engages with 4 phaser IIIs, which reduce the warhead to 53

(DAC roll: 6)

Impulse 15
Plasma torpedo impacts on Devourer of souls.

Devourer of souls shield 1 at 29%!
Devourer of souls shield 2 at 27%!
Devourer of souls shield 3 at 27%!
Devourer of souls shield 4 at 27%!
Devourer of souls shield 5 at 31%!
Devourer of souls shield 6 at 27%!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Query sent as Where my Torps at?.

Edit: Also holy crap Plasma Torps look like they hurt. Remind me never to fight against the Romulans or Gorn.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 8, 2015

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Are you sure all my drones should have launched like that? The end of last turn notifications said my A and B racks needed to wait to fire.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I never said to overload the torpedoes, I actually didn't want to so I would punch through the shields. I mean it's not a huge problem, I should have been more specific.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Shoeless posted:

Query sent as Where my Torps at?.

Edit: Also holy crap Plasma Torps look like they hurt. Remind me never to fight against the Romulans or Gorn.

The best defense against plasma is range and speed. The maps that are being used here don't show that clearly, but you do have a lot of room to run away if you need or want to.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Query Drones? sent

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

My apologies - you and Shoeless have had the same orders so much that I must have read the word "enveloping" when it wasn't there.

EDIT:

One thing that I overlooked in the post. Sauricon's wild weasel was in the same hex as the gorn blob when the drones started hitting, and was hit by collateral damage like everything else, and was destroyed. Sauricon's fire control is online.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Orders Missile Sponge sent. Like I have options at this point.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Which one of ya'll is commanding which ship?

Working on my orders now.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Thalantos posted:

Which one of ya'll is commanding which ship?

Working on my orders now.

I'm the Sauricon.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Orders Not Much Else I CAN Do sent

And that turn was actually not as bloody as I thought it was going to be, for either side actually.

Dwanyelle fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 8, 2015

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Shoeless posted:

I'm the Sauricon.

Cool.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Added Space posted:

Orders Missile Sponge sent. Like I have options at this point.

Yeah, sorry guy :(

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Turn orders Fire ze missiles! sent.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Thalantos posted:

Yeah, sorry guy :(

You should be sorry you did not destroy me! :hitler:

I don't mean to sound negative, I'm having a lot of fun.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Added Space posted:

You should be sorry you did not destroy me! :hitler:

I don't mean to sound negative, I'm having a lot of fun.

lol, it's all good! Im enjoying it, too!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Turn III impulse 17
Sauricon launches 2 strength 60 plasma torpedos.

Ravager Of Worlds decides to fire all phaser-IIIs at the torpedos instead of tearing Serpenticon to pieces with them. One torpedo is reduced to strength 41.

(GM's note - Did I give anyone the impression that Phaser-IIIs couldn't be fired at ships? If so, this is wrong, and Ravager could have inflicted massive amounts of damage on Serpenticon with them due to sheer number. 10 phaser-3s is up to 40 points of damage at this range, firing into a down shield)

Impulse 18
Devourer vainly attempts to outrun the incoming torpedos

Impulse 19
Strength 41 enveloping torpedo impacts on Devourer of Souls #4 shield
#4 Shield DOWN - 1 point gets through
Damage to BRIDGE
(DAC Roll:2)
#5 Shield DOWN
#6 Shield DOWN - 1 point gets through
Damage to BRIDGE
(DAC Roll:2)
#1 Shield at 4%
#2 Shield Down - 2 points get through
Damage to Right Warp Engine, Aft Hull
(DAC Roll:5)
#3 Shield Down - 2 points get through
#12 phaser destroyed, damage to TRANSPORTER
(DAC Roll: 4)

Strength 60 enveloping torpedo impacts on Devourer of souls
#4 Shield DOWN - 10 points get through
#11 Phaser destroyed, Aft Transporters destroyed, Right Warp heavily damaged
(DAC Roll:4)
#5 Shield DOWN - 10 points get through
Forward Hull destroyed. Impulse Engine Destroyed. Labs damaged.
(DAC Roll:6)
#6 Shield DOWN - 10 points get through
#1 Phaser destroyed, Right Warp Engine Destroyed, Heavy Damage to aft hull. 1 Shuttle bay destroyed
(DAC Roll:4)
#1 Shield Down - 9 points get through
Aft Hull destroyed, APR destroyed
(Dac Roll: 8_
#2 Shield Down - 10 points get through
Damage to left Warp Engine, aft batteries destroyed, labs destroyed, Drone Rack 1 Destroyed
(DAC Roll:9)
#3 Shield Down - 10 points get through
Shuttle destroyed, Damage to SCANNER, tractor 1 destroyed, left Warp badly damaged
(DAC Roll: 8)

Total damage: 4/5 Transporters gone, labs gone, 1 Drone Rack gone, 2 Phaser III and 1 phaser-1 gone, 3 Impulse Gone, 3 APR gone, 18 Warp gone, Scanner operating at 1 (all direct fire weapons add 1 to the range due to fire-control damage), both shuttles destroyed. 1 Tractor destroyed. All shields DOWN.

Impulse 20
Serpenticon turns to direct the #1 shield at the Ravager and hide the downed #6 shield, Sauricon turns to facing A with the same eventual intention.

Impulse 22
Saricon turns to face F along with the Serpenticon.

Impulse 32

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Gnoman posted:

(GM's note - Did I give anyone the impression that Phaser-IIIs couldn't be fired at ships? If so, this is wrong, and Ravager could have inflicted massive amounts of damage on Serpenticon with them due to sheer number. 10 phaser-3s is up to 40 points of damage at this range, firing into a down shield)

Nah, I know you can fire phaser-3s at whomever.

I'm having trouble figuring out what facings are going to be where at which time. It requires me to make advance guesses about where and how everything's going to move and it makes it...difficult.

That being said, Phaser-3s are more powerful at short range. With as bad as I got hosed up, it probably would have been a good idea to cripple the Serpenticon.

As it is, the Devourer is basically gone, and I'm still fighting two relatively unharmed ships. I don't see how I can win this one, so I'm going to get my last lab scan in and then withdraw. If you really want me to plot out course and energy I can, but I bet I can get the Ravager away, doubtful about the Devourer.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
At this point I would hail the enemy and offer to let them surrender in exchange for not finishing off Ravager. According to various laws of war we could legally destroy them, even if they surrendered and the other ship was running. However, if they're not receptive to a surrender of both ships I guess we'd finish blowing up Ravager then start rescue efforts.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Added Space posted:

At this point I would hail the enemy and offer to let them surrender in exchange for not finishing off Ravager. According to various laws of war we could legally destroy them, even if they surrendered and the other ship was running. However, if they're not receptive to a surrender of both ships I guess we'd finish blowing up Ravager then start rescue efforts.

Agreed.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

I'd still bolt.

Good game! Thanks, ya'll. Count me in for another game if no one else steps up.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Thalantos posted:

I'd still bolt.

Good game! Thanks, ya'll. Count me in for another game if no one else steps up.

Same. Would you mind a bit of feedback on how the game went? And/or have some for me and Added?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Shoeless posted:

Same. Would you mind a bit of feedback on how the game went? And/or have some for me and Added?

Absolutely! Once I got confirmation from Gnoman on the game ending I was planning to write up an AAR. I'd love to hear ya'lls thoughts as well.

So, this was not a standoff slugfest. I had to be near the fed convoy to get scientific data from the ships, which means I had to hang around them. This put the Kibosh in my original plan, which was to run circles around around while sniping at medium range with disruptors.

I had bought a mix of drone upgrades. Half of my drones were Type III, with as many of those as I could having the -M upgrade. The rest were Type V.

When it comes to fighting the Gorn, I have a copy of the Gorn Heavy Cruiser with me. All those Phaser-1s are scary. I wonder about the best way to approach it.

I was trying to space out my missile launches...I figured you would try to shoot down missiles before launching a WW, and I wanted to make you expend your resources enough but not waste all my drones on your decoy.

I feel like Phaser-3s are not so good against plasma torpedoes. Which hurt, BTW. I also need to take a closer look at how, exactly to go about using my own WWs.

I was caught back by your rushing in on the 2nd turn. I suppose I rushed a bit also, by not backing off to avoid your plasma.

I was, of course, trying to focus fire on one ship and take it out as quickly as possible.

Your staying together in the same hex made it hard to adopt my original approach which was to gang up on one, but this way you could mutually support each other.

I was also out of drones and needed to reload, which was slow and was eating up your phasers.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
To comment, I could have been a little more aggressive with my phasers, but I was the one under fire so I pushed everything I could into defending. We also should not have used enveloping fire, it seems like a straight injection of 30 damage would have caused deeper wounds then 6 shots of ~10 damage. It looks like enveloping fire is more for long-range harassment to counter strength loss due to range.

It also seemed, Thalantos, that you undervalued the role of specialized shuttles. Most of our contingency planning was built around you launching a scatter pack. I think launching one on turn 2 at range 9 (ideally in a prolonged salvo to minimize weasel influence) is just about the best move. You certainly seemed surprised by the emergency WW which cut your drones' damage by about 80%. As it was you were stuck in our ideal range and we could easily burn one of your ships.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Honestly, I was most surprised that you didn't have a Wild Weasel on hand to deal with our plasma torpedoes. We spaced out our plasma torp launches, figuring that if we launched them all at once, you'd have had a contingency to launch a WW and they'd all explode on that. That's also why we set them to Enveloping- if they're gonna impact in different impulses, they might have hit different shield facings, and thus you'd be able to absorb non-enveloping fire with minimal internal damage. Enveloping though meant we'd bring down all your shields, and the fourth we figured would do full damage to the inside, which it did.

I had wondered why you stayed so close instead of hanging back and keeping us at a distance with drones and picking away with your phaser 1s and Disruptors, but I guess we know now. We also had some special conditions similar to yours, scanning the convoy. That's why we rushed in. It seems that our special conditions made it so all of us wanted to get in the same close area, which really benefited us more than you, Thalantos. I was gonna say that you probably shouldn't have gotten so close, but, knowing your objective was to scan the convoy I understand that that wasn't necessarily an option.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Yeah, I was kinda like "gently caress!" but that's part of what makes playing scenarios fun, is sometimes you get a job that you're not necessarily suited for.

As it is, I'm already contemplating tactics for next time. It seems that if I launch a full drone barrage, you would be distracted by my drones and I would be able to slip into close range and unload everything. I've got a lot of phaser-3s, but they really don't look like they're effective beyond range 2 or so, and I don't want to get hit with phaser-1s at that range, it would hurt. But, I started out facing away from ya'll, so I'm not sure that would have necessarily been any faster.

I launched different speed drones at different impulses, hoping to get them close enough that you would pop a WW. I actually wanted to try to push ya'll back, but it was not effective enough. The heavy drones are nice, but expensive in that I only get half as many. It also takes twice as long to reload them(which is another reason I resigned; I had no drones left in my racks and and needed to spend the next turn reloading, so I couldn't even launch them as ablative measures to soak up your phasers.

I've got this feeling that specialized shuttles are kind of weak, but am I mistaken? maybe next time I'll try a scatterpack, I was still wanting to familarize myself with basic drone tactics and such.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Kzinti ships have a lot of P-3s because for the longest time, they were designed to fight other Kzinti, rather than external foes - that meant swatting down drones, and trying not to lose ships to massive damage from heavier phasers. Gorn Phasers are given all-round coverage with their ships at the expense of not being able to focus them on any one target to good effect.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Kzinti ships have a lot of P-3s because for the longest time, they were designed to fight other Kzinti, rather than external foes - that meant swatting down drones, and trying not to lose ships to massive damage from heavier phasers.

Oh man, that's what I'd been thinking! I love it when settings do that, have ships designed based on what the faction would have been doing. It really helps make a setting feel more whole and consistent.

Thalantos posted:

I've got this feeling that specialized shuttles are kind of weak, but am I mistaken? maybe next time I'll try a scatterpack, I was still wanting to familarize myself with basic drone tactics and such.

May I ask why you feel they're weak? I mean the Wild Weasel would have helped you a lot just by eating at least one of our plasma torps, and the scatterpack was another thing me and Added were afraid of- if you launched that along with drones on the same turn, you could suddenly have a lot of drones on the field at once, more than our phasers could handle.

Also, and I realize I might be shooting myself in the foot for later battles saying this, but tractor beams can only "fire" once per turn. If whatever they're holding is released, either willingly or by being destroyed, they cannot be used again that turn. So me and Added were holding a pair of drones in tractor beams each, if you'd launched more drones than you had capacity for, you could have selected the drones we were tractoring as the ones to self-destruct, thus allowing you to have more "active" drones on the field that we'd have to swat down.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

So the Kzinti ships surrendered? What exactly happened?

Added Space posted:

It looks like enveloping fire is more for long-range harassment to counter strength loss due to range.

The biggest use of enveloping fire is in cases where an enemy has a downed shield you can't hit - 10 points of internal damage +10 to each shield is often better than 20-30 damage to one shield.

Gnoman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 9, 2015

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Gnoman posted:

So the Kzinti ships surrendered? What exactly happened?

They both made a run for it. I think Devourer took too much damage to get a decent speed, and the gorn could def chase her down. Ravager was already heading away at speed nine, all I had to do was continue straight away.

I figured that I needed to get out with the info. :)

Thanks for running this, I'm quite enjoying it!!

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Shoeless posted:

May I ask why you feel they're weak? I mean the Wild Weasel would have helped you a lot just by eating at least one of our plasma torps, and the scatterpack was another thing me and Added were afraid of- if you launched that along with drones on the same turn, you could suddenly have a lot of drones on the field at once, more than our phasers could handle.

Probably due to my....not wanting to expend resources. I'm also the type of D&D player who hoards every potion they get and never uses it. I'm afraid of my shuttles exploding prematurely, lol.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Thalantos posted:

Probably due to my....not wanting to expend resources. I'm also the type of D&D player who hoards every potion they get and never uses it. I'm afraid of my shuttles exploding prematurely, lol.

Alright, if there's no objections, I'll assume that Ravager escaped and Devouerer was too damaged to do so and was captured.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Alright, if there's no objections, I'll assume that Ravager escaped and Devouerer was too damaged to do so and was captured.

That's fine with me, unless Added wants to play out attempting to catch up with the Ravager. Since we can only do max speed 10 this new turn, I'd agree it's likely it'd be able to outrun us.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, we couldn't get weapons to bear.

Honestly, unless both ships turned off fire control we'd have to destroy the Devourer instead of capturing it. We'd have to chase Ravager to make sure it didn't shoot at the derelicts, and we couldn't risk Devourer taking vengeful potshots while our backs were turned. That's just me :spergin: a bit, so yeah, that result is fine.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Gnoman posted:

Sounds good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Alright then. So we probably take a couple warning shots as it heads off, and then proceed to send over crew to enact emergency repairs and provide additional crew to the ships that need them and can get underway under their own power, and then escort the convoy to where it was originally headed I suppose.

• Locked thread