Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
What are some other dumb fun ways to play by giving yourself rules?

Sometimes I'll build a base in a mountain near a village and decide that I am some kind of future / distant past before an atomic war man living in a bunker and I must keep my machines underground to not raise suspicion from the Luddite villagers. Alternately, do this with magic and try and make sure they don't realize you're a witch.

Someone make a torch and pitchfork mod, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Quick, non-spoilery answer, what season of mindcrack uhc is the best and from whose perspective? Watching kurtjmac in season ten (he's with two other people, one of whom is avidia, can't remember the other guy's name) and it's pretty good.
Etho in season 8 is pretty ridiculous, Season 10 is fuckin' awesome from PauseUnpause's perspective.

Also, the best moment in any UHC. No spoilers, this is just one moment from a livestream charity UHC where people could donate money to charity to give players items.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
There is(was?) a UHC happening recently(now?) and I couldn't even really be bothered to watch for some reason. Has it been any good?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

There is(was?) a UHC happening recently(now?) and I couldn't even really be bothered to watch for some reason. Has it been any good?

I watched a couple episodes because I was shocked Mindcrack was still a thing. I thought they disbanded or something because nobody was making any more videos on the server/with each other.

It seemed really really boring, and at least from the perspective I watched, like it was being done out of obligation. Then they died and I didn't care enough to check out anyone else.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I feel that it's just never grown as a thing for why it's boring or uninteresting to me now. I tried to watch some of the more recent seasons, and just got bored episode one.

They really need to try adding mods or unique maps or challenges. More than just "vanilla, but here's some rules on top". There's just no real point if the gameplay is the same every time. There's only so many times you can stretch something out before it gets tired.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

This has been a really boring UHC. It's six episodes in and there's been one (technically two) fights.

The 'gimmick' this time around is the first player you see, you have to say their name in chat, and the two of you then team up and get on a Skype call together. The two best moments of this happening were (spoilers, even though it's super dull):
  • PauseUnpause seeing Aureylian and then getting chased away by two skeletons, which she proceeds to destroy to save him
  • OMGChad and AndersZEL meeting up in the Nether, seconds after Anders said to his viewers "the last person I want to be teamed up with is Chad."

In terms of fights, there's been Chad/Anders taking down Guude/Doc, and VintageBeef getting attacked by Vechs and Nebris and managing to escape and survive on one heart. Both of these happen in episode 3.

For unspoilered recommendations: watch episode 3 from AndersZEL's point of view, then from VintageBeef's point of view, if you want to see literally the only two exciting things to have happened.

Bel Monte posted:

They really need to try adding mods or unique maps or challenges. More than just "vanilla, but here's some rules on top". There's just no real point if the gameplay is the same every time. There's only so many times you can stretch something out before it gets tired.
The best things they've done are shrinking world borders and the locational audio plugin. If they combined those with this season's "max spawners" and "team up with the first player you see" they'd have something hilariously awesome going on.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 11, 2015

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I used to get so hyped for new seasons of UHC, but now it's gotten to the point where I just have no interest in checking them out any more. :(

E: I agree they should bring back the Mumble(?) thing. That was my favourite of all the gimmick seasons.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Butt Detective posted:

I used to get so hyped for new seasons of UHC, but now it's gotten to the point where I just have no interest in checking them out any more. :(

Man, I still get really into them, I just wish more was happening this time around. I'm watching from like four different viewpoints and this season has become more background noise to me than anything.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The best possible outcome in this season of UHC is Beef turning it around, and killing Nebris. Oh, such salt there would be.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I've been considering playing around with an older version of MC, but can't find any texture packs in the style they were in before resource packs were a thing. Am I out of luck?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I have some old John Smith ones if you want, although I don't know exactly which version of MC they were for.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
I need to do some research myself on which version, but the last one before biomes, basically. Alternatively, a question probably better for the mod thread: any good worldgen mods so it's more like the old fractal generation instead of boring as poo poo biomes? I knew of a few a long while back but have since lost track of them.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Heavy Lobster posted:

I need to do some research myself on which version, but the last one before biomes, basically. Alternatively, a question probably better for the mod thread: any good worldgen mods so it's more like the old fractal generation instead of boring as poo poo biomes? I knew of a few a long while back but have since lost track of them.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1281910-teds-world-gen-mods-realistic-world-gen-alpha-1-3

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Eesh that's old.
But as long as none of the art moved, a later old texture pack should be backwards compatible with the earlier versions of minecraft. Not a garuntee, but it would probably work no problem.

It's possible you would need to rearrange a tile or two though.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Bel Monte posted:

Eesh that's old.
But as long as none of the art moved, a later old texture pack should be backwards compatible with the earlier versions of minecraft. Not a garuntee, but it would probably work no problem.

It's possible you would need to rearrange a tile or two though.

Since the new ones are tile-based as separate files, and you can programmatically combine .png files into one contiguous texture, there's definitely a way to turn new packs into old packs of any version.

Whether any such tool EXISTS I'm not sure of, but it is certainly possible to do.

Might want to ask Kas if he still has the old script to do it since that's how the Painterly Pack chooser worked back in the day. It would probably need some changes to work with the current batch of packs, but it's definitely doable. If it runs in Python or whatever, you could just run it locally.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Jamesman posted:

I watched a couple episodes because I was shocked Mindcrack was still a thing. I thought they disbanded or something because nobody was making any more videos on the server/with each other.

I know BDubs, GenerikB, and Etho all dropped mindcrack because the main group wanted them to sign some weird legal/copyright agreement they were uncomfortable with. I don't know anything more specific but yeah, I was surprised to see SethBling start posting UHC videos because I thought it had died amid legal stuff.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah Guude has turned Mindcrack into a brand and a YouTube video network. People were asked if they wanted to be on the network to protect against copyright, get better ad revenue, music choices etc etc. but a lot of the big guys didn't want to commit it sounded like and bailed. Unfortunately he's seemed to have done it as the well is drying up. Contents been pretty stagnant and no ones really ever on the server anymore.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The Mindcrack server's resetting for 1.9, so a lot of folks are kind of stepping away from playing on the minecraft server. The switch to 'branded' Mindcrack has been financially a good decision for people who weren't making as much from views and stuff; it was pretty much just a business decision that didn't make sense for some of the guys who already had shitloads of viewers and already made a living off videogames. It's this weird thing that looks like more drama than it really is, because it's the internet and it's teenagers and it's videogames. None of those guys are 'banned' from playing with anyone (Zisteau is doing a Terraria series with Etho right now) and sure, there's hurt feelings, but ultimately? Folks make money off playing videogames, some of them didn't want additional contractual obligations to keep using a brandname they didn't get anything out of.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My favourite UHC was probably the first competitive one, 3 I think. It has Baj starving to death waiting for wheat to grow, Guude off just kinda playing normal minecraft, and then a huge clusterfuck of everyone stumbling on the same cave/nether portal.

Though the funniest one was probably Season 7, when Guude and Bdubs were drunk in a dangerous cave, and covering their nether portal with dirt to hide it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

7 was a fuckin' great season. Beef and Pause made their 'camoflage' skins, followed by Pause immediately killing both of the folks who took Beef out followed by almost everyone stopping to talk about how Pause was totally going to murder, Guude/BDubz getting drunk as hell, all the attempts at making traps, Zisteau/Kurt and MC/Pakratt both freaking out about each other's teams at the same time, even Nebris (who I usually don't like) was great and had two of the most unbelievable kills in UHC (even if he did treat just_defy as an assistant).

The only thing that tops how much I laughed at 7 is watching Drunk Lava Zisteau in UHC 6, then switching to Kurt after Zisteau dies. I couldn't stop laughing at both Zisteau trying to make the world burn, and Kurt's issues with his wolf.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Did they ever go back to everyone being in the same channel but with positional audio? That was a great gimmick, I was disappointed when they dropped it for the next season.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Which season was it where someone set up a lava trap in a cave, not only did someone actually stumble upon it and fall for it, but they totally knew who set it?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Which season was it where someone set up a lava trap in a cave, not only did someone actually stumble upon it and fall for it, but they totally knew who set it?
Season 10, and it was Etho and Pakratt's trap.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
This one has definitely been one of the more dull ones, though there were finally some satisfying bloodbaths in today's batch of episodes. At this point, I don't even watch the episodes so much as I mouse over the progress bar and look for frames that contain people talking in chat or death messages. Just not willing to slog through 9 sets of 20 minute videos anymore.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Edminster posted:

I know BDubs, GenerikB, and Etho all dropped mindcrack because the main group wanted them to sign some weird legal/copyright agreement they were uncomfortable with. I don't know anything more specific but yeah, I was surprised to see SethBling start posting UHC videos because I thought it had died amid legal stuff.

Whalley posted:

The Mindcrack server's resetting for 1.9, so a lot of folks are kind of stepping away from playing on the minecraft server. The switch to 'branded' Mindcrack has been financially a good decision for people who weren't making as much from views and stuff; it was pretty much just a business decision that didn't make sense for some of the guys who already had shitloads of viewers and already made a living off videogames. It's this weird thing that looks like more drama than it really is, because it's the internet and it's teenagers and it's videogames. None of those guys are 'banned' from playing with anyone (Zisteau is doing a Terraria series with Etho right now) and sure, there's hurt feelings, but ultimately? Folks make money off playing videogames, some of them didn't want additional contractual obligations to keep using a brandname they didn't get anything out of.

It makes sense that those three were the ones who backed out since they probably are the three biggest channels of all the Mindcrack people that I can think of. Interestingly enough, Pause is also part of a Twitch network/group thing (I don't know how those work) with some pretty moderate sized streamers. I don't know if he streams very often though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Trouble is that losing the players with the biggest followings is a pretty serious blow to Mindcrack as a whole. Not sure what's going on behind the scenes there.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Didn't Etho also get e-stalked pretty hard? I'd heard that contributed to him stepping away from Mindcrack.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Clitch posted:

Didn't Etho also get e-stalked pretty hard? I'd heard that contributed to him stepping away from Mindcrack.

He has been for a while, though I don't think it had anything to do with Mindcrack. People found out where he worked and stuff and since it was a family operation were able to deduce where he or his family lived. I think he was worried his family might get dragged into it at one point.

But in regards to Mindcrack he had a lot of issues playing things like UHC because if a Mindcrack person killed Etho, the person who killed him would instantly get thousands of dislikes and reports on their videos. And that's just part of having a big channel but I know he quit playing UHC because of things like that.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

It makes sense that those three were the ones who backed out since they probably are the three biggest channels of all the Mindcrack people that I can think of. Interestingly enough, Pause is also part of a Twitch network/group thing (I don't know how those work) with some pretty moderate sized streamers. I don't know if he streams very often though.

Yeah. The folks who had no need for network support beyond what they already had were in no way interested in sharing the rights over who was allowed to negotiate for and enter into agreements with entities involving the use of their name and likeness. I don't blame them. Might have been interesting if a few of them had lawyered up and tried to negotiate a more limited license which still gave them final approval, but it was easier (and cheaper) to just leave. Not that it matters. The volume of Minecraft related content from the group as a whole has been next to nothing these past six months.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It might be possible that Minecraft as a Youtube phenomenon (maybe as a social phenomenon in general) has finally just about run its course, and streamers and viewers both are moving on to other things.

I know that pretty much all the big-time Youtubers have said publicly, quite a while ago, that they're worn out on Minecraft and to the extent they still play it at all it's to pay the bills, not for fun. It does seem like most of the Mindcrackers stopped really enjoying themselves playing UHC back around... season 15 or 16 or so?

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 12, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

GenerikB flat out stated that he was bored of MC during a Stranded Deep video he did months ago.

I am surprised that Etho was successfully stalked considering how secretive I always thought he was. He had never gone to a con that I know of and in most of the group things I have seen him participate in, no one ever seems to refer to him as anything but Etho, though I could have easily missed it. People are scary.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

he's publicly revealed over the course of his ~1000 videos that his family owns a botanical shop in most likely rural british colombia. i'm sure there's some really specific stuff he's revealed in passing as well. still weird though

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

I've been watching the Hermitcraft Amplified series lately and it seems like most of them are still pretty into the game.

The Hermit Thrills area on the map is really cool. Definitely can't wait for it to be released and to play some of those games. Redstone sorcery.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Saeka posted:

I've been watching the Hermitcraft Amplified series lately and it seems like most of them are still pretty into the game.

The Hermit Thrills area on the map is really cool. Definitely can't wait for it to be released and to play some of those games. Redstone sorcery.

I didn't realize that Hermitcraft was even still a thing.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I saw that Etho was doing something with that a few months ago but I never bothered watching. What exactly is it?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I saw that Etho was doing something with that a few months ago but I never bothered watching. What exactly is it?
Less "professional" Mindcrack. They're just another gaming Youtube group, but they don't spend as much attention on like, video quality and consistency and stuff. There's some fun people to watch, and I love that they have more than one woman, but honestly I kinda find myself forgetting they exist a lot of the time, unless I'm specifically looking up how to do something in a mod.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

EricFate posted:

This one has definitely been one of the more dull ones, though there were finally some satisfying bloodbaths in today's batch of episodes. At this point, I don't even watch the episodes so much as I mouse over the progress bar and look for frames that contain people talking in chat or death messages. Just not willing to slog through 9 sets of 20 minute videos anymore.

Well, it had a satisfying ending at least. It is nice to see Pakratt (of all people) put on a good showing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You mean he DIDN'T die first this time?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The ending series of battles were pretty satisfying.

Honestly, this was a really good one in a lot of ways. Yeah, there's a bunch of episodes where nothing happens, but that's how tension builds. It works best if you're worried for hours on end as the things ramp up, and then when it all goes down and people start dying there's a real "oh poo poo" atmosphere. It's the advantage this kind of thing has over just a deathmatch or something.

If you're too used to it and too comfortable though it just ends up being boring. You need to have that sense of tension. If you don't have the time/patience to build that... well, it's going to be pretty lame.

I'd imagine that it helped that for the tension building I was arbitrarily watching PauseUnpause, 'cause he teamed up with Aureylian. They ended up having pretty decent banter, and she freaked out over everything which definitely ended up creating the atmosphere you want for this, while he kept things on track so you weren't just watching a hopeless comedy of errors. They also took the the surface really early on, which is more interesting (and tense!) than endless mining.

Once poo poo started going down I just switched to whoever killed the person I was watching and I ended up with a pretty drat good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Hey guys, just wanted to draw attention to an application I've just published on Steam Greenlight, which is meant to help design structures, vehicles, or pretty much anything that is voxel cube based. It's still very early and has minimum amount of features, but I'm planning to add more features and make it much better. I'm calling it Cube Planner. Let me know what you think.