Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

hakimashou posted:

He has a point though.

Dr Smart If you make a thread in the main forum called GBS asking lowtax to please remove those images that is the best way to remedy this situation because goons ruin everything but lowtax has the last word but he only reads GBS every day so you have to post there for him to see.

Goons definitely ruined this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
too bad, there was a lot of potential comedy with having him here. you guys blew your load way too fast

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

lowtax doesn't read SA. He might actually be dead.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is your real name Johnny Clever?

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

There's a lawsuit for Goons against CIG for USD 85MM on forum moderation damages... Goon Citizen, sounds good.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
I stop reading for a few days and this thread takes a turn for the hilarious.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You only get one shot at Derek Smart and you just blew it bub.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

That Works posted:

I dunno he took his ball and went home like a bitch

Sounds good to me

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

"Will not tolerate"
*totally tolerates*

Why are you such a loving liar Derek? Not even gonna back up your words? I'm right here man. Being Not-Sued when you said you'd sue anyone NO EXCEPTIONS. Anything to say?

Typical empty words of a hack developer of bad ripoff games.

You are in deep poo poo Infinitum.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
A quick caricature to mark this occasion.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

AP posted:

lol

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
meh now all the shitposting will happen on twitter

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am loving shocked that Derek Smart and goons don't get along.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AP posted:

This is really happening :allears:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

D_Smart posted:

Sure. Here are some excerpts:

Putting aside his giant crybaby take my ball and go home routine, it turns out, Dr. Smart is the exact caricature of the average brown sea sailor, just with a louder megaphone and more resources to make everyone listen to his wails.

"I gave Christ Robots money so now I'm his boss and entitled to his company's internal information!"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Chris Roberts should give all goons some free idris corvettes for defeating Derek smart in only 30 minutes

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Did he just run away? drat son, learn how to internet.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh wow I was gone for an hour and already you guys drove him away. hahaha

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Did he just run away? drat son, learn how to internet.

He ran away and has gone to complain to Lowtax because he couldn't ignore one dude on a forum asking the real questions.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
So whose side do we take now?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AP posted:

I hope so, otherwise Derek Smart is a loving liar. I'd hate to see him tarnish his name so.

I emailed him in an attempt to correct this.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

iGestalt posted:

He ran away and has gone to complain to Lowtax because he couldn't ignore one dude on a forum asking the real questions.

To be fair, when it comes to terrible video game failures the man is a clear expert and we should listen to everything he says.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Octopode posted:

Putting aside his giant crybaby take my ball and go home routine, it turns out, Dr. Smart is the exact caricature of the average brown sea sailor, just with a louder megaphone and more resources to make everyone listen to his wails.

"I gave Christ Robots money so now I'm his boss and entitled to his company's internal information!"

So what's the gossip that we have so far,

Sports cars, expenses on goods of outrageous luxury, a trip to Monaco with a stay on the most expensive Yacht, Private Jets, Swiss and Luxembourg Bank Accounts, Mexican sweatshops, sociopaths, Drugs and Employees dropping out of their contracts like flies - gives the Star in Star Citizen a totally new meaning. Chris Roberts is the only Star Citizen there ever will be and we are funding the game that he always wanted to make. Maybe the game is about developing Chris Roberts...

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The excerpt he posted was really more of the same "I've got SOURCES and EVIDENCE and you'd better admit your mistakes or else Chris Roberts!!!"

Some of his criticisms are on point about feature creep and such but his reliance on "just wait until you read my next, even more secret missive" approach to spacejournalism leaves something to be desired.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

AP posted:

Oh man, this is about to get even better. :munch:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been able to stop by earlier, I've been totally swamped with work, research, attorneys etc

Also, my 2nd Star Citizen article was pushed to Mon to give legal the chance to review a last minute revision. So I had to deal with that.

Anyway, as you guys who have followed my industry shenanigans for many years now, when I wrote the 1st article, I knew that I was going to get attacked by a new generation of people who have no clue who I am. Those are the people who go around taking all kinds of bits and pieces from the Internet, and without any context (or humor), take them as fact. Which is how the Gaming Urban Legend article came about. Legal had a field day with that one; but I did get to cuss a lot in there. I had a quota to meet, you see. :)

Anyway, when you guys read the new article, if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or whatever, please let me know.

ps: I'm an old fart now, so I probably can't keep up with all the wit, and whatnot. So go easy on me :)

For what it's worth, I really like your games, or at least the idea behind them. What you were trying to accomplish was really amazing and apart of what made me so into space sims.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been able to stop by earlier, I've been totally swamped with work, research, attorneys etc

Also, my 2nd Star Citizen article was pushed to Mon to give legal the chance to review a last minute revision. So I had to deal with that.

Anyway, when you guys read the new article, if you have any questions, comments, suggestions, or whatever, please let me know.

ps: I'm an old fart now, so I probably can't keep up with all the wit, and whatnot. So go easy on me :)
If you're the real Derek Smart, and not a troll, I'm eager to hear if you had a conversation with Tolito...

If so, is Kotaku going to cover your story?

How would you feel if your efforts actually did bring "the house of cards down" on CIG, starved them of future pledges, lead to cashflow death spiral, and forced them to release a messy, incomplete turkey next year? It seems like you're relishing the opportunity, and obviously, you don't care much about courting the contempt of gamers-- but would a suicide or two by some of the most invested and/or unstable fans weigh on your conscience? Out of nearly a million backers, some of them religiously devouted and palpably desperate to escape reality by living in The Verse for the rest of their lives, so this seems not an unthinkable outcome.

Also, to what extent, if at all, has the FTC really taken an interest in the complaints of frustrated backers? Is their really any investigation underway, or just a bunch of grumbling by malcontents with emailed IOUs fom 2012 for Idrises, Caterpillers, etc.?

Finally, (troll) Derek, what are the opinions of CIG by former employees you've had contact with?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

I hope so, otherwise Derek

Mr Smart is probably putting together a very powerful and convincing email to Lowtax right at this moment about you and the potential hindrance you've caused to his efforts to bring the crimes of RSI to light.

I think you're going to regret your actions this day.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

G0RF posted:

If you're the real Derek Smart, and not a troll, I'm eager to hear if you had a conversation with Tolito...

If so, is Kotaku going to cover your story?

How would you feel if your efforts actually did bring "the house of cards down" on CIG, starved them of future pledges, lead to cashflow death spiral, and forced them to release a messy, incomplete turkey next year? It seems like you're relishing the opportunity, and obviously, you don't care much about courting the contempt of gamers-- but would a suicide or two by some of the most invested and/or unstable fans weigh on your conscience? Out of nearly a million backers, some of them religiously devouted and palpably desperate to escape reality by living in The Verse for the rest of their lives, so this seems not an unthinkable outcome.

Also, to what extent, if at all, has the FTC really taken an interest in the complaints of frustrated backers? Is their really any investigation underway, or just a bunch of grumbling by malcontents with emailed IOUs fom 2012 for Idrises, Caterpillers, etc.?

Finally, (troll) Derek, what are the opinions of CIG by former employees you've had contact with?

Hey stupid rear end new guy, I don't know,if you saw or not but dr smart promised to burn down star citizen and then he bitches out because a goon read his Facebook. He promised.

And now he's just whining about dumb poo poo and running away and not suing anyone, he let us down and we are the victims here so pack it in.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

AP posted:

Mr Smart is probably putting together a very powerful and convincing email to Lowtax right at this moment about you and the potential hindrance you've caused to his efforts to bring the crimes of RSI to light.

I think you're going to regret your actions this day.

Derek Smart. You. Me. Mano e mano in the Terrordome. Lowtax make it happen.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=213

:toxx:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AP posted:

Mooooooooooooom, people are talking about me on something awful!!!!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

That Works posted:

Aww crap-- hes gone already?

I should've read thru to the end of the thread before sending questions-- I figured he'd at least be around for a couple of days!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

hakimashou posted:

Hey stupid rear end new guy, I don't know,if you saw or not but dr smart promised to burn down star citizen and then he bitches out because a goon read his Facebook. He promised.

And now he's just whining about dumb poo poo and running away and not suing anyone, he let us down and we are the victims here so pack it in.
Thanks for the update smart rear end old guy.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Aww crap-- hes gone already?

I should've read thru to the end of the thread before sending questions-- I figured he'd at least be around for a couple of days!

The brightest flame burns quickest.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Who wants an encore?

Derek Smart ‏@dsmart 1m1 minute ago
@omgangrybees well, you all there report those 5 posts with those images, notify me when gone, & I will come back. ty

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I said come in! posted:

For what it's worth, I really like your games, or at least the idea behind them. What you were trying to accomplish was really amazing and apart of what made me so into space sims.

shut up idiot

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sorla78 posted:

Who wants an encore?

@omgangrybees well, you all there report those 5 posts with those images, notify me when gone, & I will come back. ty

The mods are not going to remove the offending posts.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deakul posted:

shut up idiot

No you

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

sorla78 posted:

Who wants an encore?

lol someone bought him an AV with a link to the posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The mods are not going to remove the offending posts.

I'm somewhat new to the forum; are offending posts ever removed?

• Locked thread