Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

ACEofsnett and I just hotwired a broken mobility scooter he found dumped in the metal recycling dumpster at his shop, after welding an old office chair to it and removing the speed controller and brakes entirely.

it has a loving wheelie bar. it needs it. i can do a drag strip style wheelie and hold it indefinitely, and chirp the tires on launch, on a slight uphill, but the tire pressures are screwed up or something and it corners hard to the right so you have to drop the front before going off the "track."

:iia:

Time to slap a Hobbyking Jasontroller on that bitch and get regen and lipo support.

http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=1688

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

Naw, there's a ton of ways out of a house contract that cost you nothing. The deal isn't done until the closing.

I dunno about where you are at, but "earnest money" in the area I'm at basically means "Oh, I'm thinking about putting an offer in on the house you're selling, here's 5K for fun" and you never ever see it again.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Apparently I need to take an 8 hour nap to shake a hangover now. drat cheap red wine.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Sigma X posted:

I dunno about where you are at, but "earnest money" in the area I'm at basically means "Oh, I'm thinking about putting an offer in on the house you're selling, here's 5K for fun" and you never ever see it again.

In my state you generally get earnest money back if the inspection results are not satisfactory. I have a few days until earnest money is due and am having a contractor come estimate some repairs before then so I have a clearer picture what I'm in for before the paid inspection.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

ACEofsnett and I just hotwired a broken mobility scooter he found dumped in the metal recycling dumpster at his shop, after welding an old office chair to it and removing the speed controller and brakes entirely.

it has a loving wheelie bar. it needs it. i can do a drag strip style wheelie and hold it indefinitely, and chirp the tires on launch, on a slight uphill, but the tire pressures are screwed up or something and it corners hard to the right so you have to drop the front before going off the "track."

:iia:

Oh man, please bring this murder-scooter to NEAI. I wanna do a wheelie while holding a beer in one hand, that probably wont work so well on the mopeds :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh man, please bring this murder-scooter to NEAI. I wanna do a wheelie while holding a beer in one hand, that probably wont work so well on the mopeds :v:

I would assume it has cupholders. They're disabled, not savages.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Well you have to hold the handlebars with one hand (tried steering with my feet and it's concerning at best) and the binary throttle switch in the other, because it is a GMC 1500 cargo lamp dash switch ganked out of a junk truck, and we couldnt find a good way to mount it.

After a few hours of loving around with it and attempting a dirt hillclimb we managed to slag the relay, fortunately it is just a regular bosch auto relay so I have a whole bucket of spares at home.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would assume it has cupholders. They're disabled, not savages.

but then my poo poo would spill from being tilted at a 45* angle. Holding it in my hand prevents this, and makes the inevitable youtube video approximately 10x more authentically redneck.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, I'm impressed. Not so much by GM (though they did pick up 100% of the tab for the repairs.. on a 10 year old car with nearly 120k, so they've stepped up their game a bit), but by the dealer. Called them, said I think it might be covered by <x> bulletin, they said drop it off, we'll check it out, and if it costs anything, we'll let you know. Showed up at the dealer today a freshly cleaned car that shined like it had new paint (definitely has a coat of wax on it anyway).

Second time they've had their hands on it. Same thing both times, and all it took to pick it up was walking in, saying "Hi I'm here to pick up the Saturd", signing a piece of paper that showed a balance due of $0.00, and walking out with the key. Both times they've been great to deal with, even though we all know they're getting shafted on the work since it's been either recall or special coverage. So uh, yeah, next car I buy will be from them, I think they've earned that much from me already.

Used UberX to get a ride to the dealer. I didn't expect a loving Mercedes to pull up. drat thing looked flawless inside and out, then I looked at the odometer and did a double take. Almost 100k on it, looked and felt like it was brand new. By far the quietest car I've ever been in, I didn't think it was possible to make a car that quiet or smooth (or keep piano black paint looking new more than a couple of months). I kept glancing at the tach to see if it was still running.

CannonFodder posted:

Clean out your receipts dawg :)

No kidding. drat thing was in the car.. :downsgun: Couple that with dropping the car off at a shop yesterday and I feel supremely stupid.

The Locator posted:

Roger Waters, or Pink Floyd? I saw the Floyd concert. I think they are the only group that I've seen on multiple concert tours, I'm really not much of a live concert goer, but I'm really glad I got to see Pink Floyd live - The Wall, Momentary Lapse of Reason, and Division Bell tours. A rare benefit of being one of the oldest guys here I guess. The first tour was back before online ticket sales were really a thing - we camped out in a parking lot for 2 days to get those tickets.

You have no idea how jealous I am right now.

Great Beer posted:

60% humidity, 90 degrees, and day 8 of no air conditioning in my car. I might die on my shift tonight. I can't even get it fixed because I need new brakes and a wheel bearing first. Which I also cant afford.

:smithicide:

Welcome to Pizza Hut!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Well you have to hold the handlebars with one hand (tried steering with my feet and it's concerning at best) and the binary throttle switch in the other, because it is a GMC 1500 cargo lamp dash switch ganked out of a junk truck, and we couldnt find a good way to mount it.

It's the year 2015, surely you must have had a surplus Clapper lying around or something.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

The Locator posted:

Roger Waters, or Pink Floyd? I saw the Floyd concert. I think they are the only group that I've seen on multiple concert tours, I'm really not much of a live concert goer, but I'm really glad I got to see Pink Floyd live - The Wall, Momentary Lapse of Reason, and Division Bell tours. A rare benefit of being one of the oldest guys here I guess. The first tour was back before online ticket sales were really a thing - we camped out in a parking lot for 2 days to get those tickets.

Just the Roger Waters show, but still, really well done show.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I finally got it:

1990 Mazda Miata w/ ~75k miles on it. No plates yet so I can't drive it. I'm stoked to finally have it though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm finally not being stupid and have my leg up on a couch and resting up the cracked knee. Is this what they call a "rest day"? It's nice.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Sigma X posted:

Earnest money shows you ARE going to buy the house pending inspection, appraisal, etc. If it fails inspection, you get it back. You MAY get it back if you change your mind and the seller is feeling generous (I would tell the proverbial you to get bent). You're not even guaranteed to get it back if your financing falls through.

Point I was making regardless of the earnest money is that making an offer on a house you aren't 100 percent on intending to buy (assuming passing inspection, appraisal, etc) is seriously dumb. Being cavalier on a purchase that is two or three times your salary just isn't smart. I just can't fathom the thought process of "ehhh not really sure about this couple or three hundred thousand dollar house but I'm going to put in an offer, put down earnest money, and potentially waste a bunch of people's time".

The again I could be :sperg: ing out about a badly worded post that I misinterpreted :iiam:

Tide fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 12, 2015

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I'm so sure that the Miata is mine that I signed up for an autocross in two weeks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

I finally got it:

1990 Mazda Miata w/ ~75k miles on it. No plates yet so I can't drive it. I'm stoked to finally have it though.

goatse guy posted:

I'm so sure that the Miata is mine that I signed up for an autocross in two weeks.

YES. MIATA FOR EVERYBODY.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

some texas redneck posted:

You have no idea how jealous I am right now.

This subject in the thread reminded me how long it's been since I have really listened to Floyd, so for most of the day while assembling furniture for the hobby room, I've been flexing the main stereo in the other room, which rarely gets used because I'm almost never in there, and I've never listed to the Wall on it. 2400+ glorious watts of Floyd through 4 towers and 2 subs. Hopefully the neighbors like their music too. :v:

I might be somewhat deaf now, but all the furniture is assembled!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

This subject in the thread reminded me how long it's been since I have really listened to Floyd, so for most of the day while assembling furniture for the hobby room, I've been flexing the main stereo in the other room, which rarely gets used because I'm almost never in there, and I've never listed to the Wall on it. 2400+ glorious watts of Floyd through 4 towers and 2 subs. Hopefully the neighbors like their music too. :v:

I might be somewhat deaf now, but all the furniture is assembled!

I'd find it really hard to hate on someone blasting Pink Floyd; I'd probably walk over, bang on the door, and ask if you could turn it up loud enough that I could hear the lyrics inside my place. :colbert:

... and maybe ask if you have a bong handy.

I never got into them until Division Bell came out, but that's also the only album they put out when I was really starting to get into music. Looks like they've put out one (studio) album since then, and I didn't even know about it until now.

e: I don't think I've ever cranked this stereo. Yet. My old one was with me from 1994 until a couple of years ago, and it pissed off plenty of people. Replaced it when it finally got to where only the front channels worked, and it got demoted to living room TV duty. Now only 1 channel works, and it sits in the closet. :sigh: I need to tear into it and fix it some day, the manual claims 0.01% THD @ 120W per channel. The Onkyo that replaced it claims something laughable like 5% when cranked, so I'm pretty hesitant to actually turn it up high enough to actually hurt anything. The speakers it's hooked up to are older than some goons..

e2: also need to fix the mid 70s Sansui in the garage. It works fine, just needs new caps and new lights.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 12, 2015

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

goatse guy posted:

Goddamn I would give one of my limbs to see Pink Floyd live. I saw Roger Waters play The Wall a few years ago, and I've seen several Floyd cover bands, but I would give anything to see the real thing.

I'm pretty sure, from the trailer footage, this is going to be the concert this is from.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

YES. MIATA FOR EVERYBODY.

I'm about to trade my rx8 in for one too. :bandwagon:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A Wild Rosie appears!

Rosie used headbutt. It's super effective!

You captured wild Rosie!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That cat looks exactly like my mother in law's cat that died today, was the sweetest cat ever, the only cat my son knew well and now he's crushed and has been crying all day :(

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

No kidding. drat thing was in the car.. :downsgun: Couple that with dropping the car off at a shop yesterday and I feel supremely stupid.
I hope that the way they shined up the outside meant they would be cool if they found it cleaning the inside.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

You captured wild Rosie!

Looks like your pants have captures a large part of the wild Rosie!

Cat hair and dander are why I can never live with one. Even with treatment, I basically can't breath in a 'cat' house, and after about an hour my eyes start to swell closed. If one scratches me, that appendage swells up like a balloon almost instantly. Dunno why, but god decided that cats are my nemesis.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

leica posted:

That cat looks exactly like my mother in law's cat that died today, was the sweetest cat ever, the only cat my son knew well and now he's crushed and has been crying all day :(

I'm gutted for your son and mother in law :(

The Locator posted:

Cat hair and dander are why I can never live with one. Even with treatment, I basically can't breath in a 'cat' house, and after about an hour my eyes start to swell closed. If one scratches me, that appendage swells up like a balloon almost instantly. Dunno why, but god decided that cats are my nemesis.
Get a sphynx cat?

They are a little more labour but you're good to go:

quote:

Sphynx: The hairless Sphynx is the cat most often associated with being hypoallergenic. Being hairless does not mean they're maintenance-free, however. Your Sphynx will need frequent baths to remove the gummy buildup of oils on her skin, and her large ears will also require frequent cleanings.

http://www.catster.com/cat-breeds/hypoallergenic-cat-breeds

Plus when you go off the deep end into full cat lady status you can make little sweaters for them :3:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Get a sphynx cat?

A lot of (most?) people who are allergic to cats are allergic to a protein in their saliva, not the fur itself.

Content:

Buying a poster of this (and getting it framed) for my wife.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm gutted for your son and mother in law :(

Get a sphynx cat?

They are a little more labour but you're good to go:

http://www.catster.com/cat-breeds/hypoallergenic-cat-breeds

Plus when you go off the deep end into full cat lady status you can make little sweaters for them :3:

While Geoj is right that it is by no means a guarantee to reduced cat allergy... how is it that for once I'm not the one posting a sphynx first?

There's supposedly a deleted scene from one of the Austin Powers flicks where Dr. Evil remarks that it's like "holding an rear end".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

A lot of (most?) people who are allergic to cats are allergic to a protein in their saliva, not the fur itself.

Sounds like you'll have to do all the spitting on the cat for it. This is a small price to pay.

Or I bet there's some super risky Chinese gene therapy or some poo poo you can get that will either make you non-allergic to cats or kill you outright, which is a gamble you should be willing to take as life without cats is not worth living.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Great Beer posted:

I'm about to trade my rx8 in for one too. :bandwagon:

You technically already have a hard top NC...or is this a RX8->ND in which case, rock on!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Or I bet there's some super risky Chinese gene therapy or some poo poo you can get that will either make you non-allergic to cats or kill you outright, which is a gamble you should be willing to take as life without cats is not worth living.

In the early 2000s someone was selling cats genetically-modified to "switch off" the gene that results in the production of the protein that triggers allergies. For $3500.

Not sure if they're still around or being bred though...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm pretty sure, from the trailer footage, this is going to be the concert this is from.

I've been watching that nonstop for over an hour. Goddamn, makes me salty all over again over my parents refusing to let me go see Pink Floyd when Division Bell came out. I've seen a few cover bands over the years to make up for it.

CannonFodder posted:

I hope that the way they shined up the outside meant they would be cool if they found it cleaning the inside.

Judging by the contents left in the vape and the very dead battery, they probably helped themselves to some of it. Not gonna bitch about losing a couple of bucks of weed or having to recharge my vape, they just got GM to pay for a ~$500 repair... then washed and waxed the car, AND detailed the interior on top of that. All on a shitbox worth probably $2500. Honestly I'm impressed with how they treated both myself and the car, so no complaints whatsoever. I'll just have to figure out where to best hide a nug for them when I trade it in.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 12, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

blk posted:

House stuff

Meat is right about interest rates, if that's all you're worried about you've got plenty of time.

As for home price, for the year you're buying a peak height of price so expect anything you buy to dip over fall to winter, then likely climb up and a touch over next summer (assuming we stay on the same trajectory). You're also competing against buys with kids right now who want to make the move over summer break. While inventory will be lower come fall, so will buyers and historically prices too.

What you didn't mention that I have to ask... Do you like the house? Does it have a decent garage and other stuff you like? Cause if you don't like it DEFINITELY don't buy it, but if you like it barring small details you might fix and it seems like a good decision, go for it.

And while I know the commute is long, just remember, it's pretty common to not stay in your first house more than 5-10 years. I stayed in my first five years and just past my sixth year here. I'm a little on the fence if I'm going to stay longer. If I do, I build a dream garage with a MIL above it, but I could also just move a bit out a city and get something that already has a huge garage and an acre of trees to boot. Point being, situations change over time, so even if you buy this now in the scheme of things you may not be there THAT long.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Driving back home from the country today, weather is shithouse, cold and wet.

On the freeway doing 110km/h when I feel the power drop in my car. I look at the rev counter then the speedo and noticed the speedo was saying 160km/h. The passenger side front wheel must have hit some oil or was on a very slick surface and just started spinning. Thankfully after a few seconds it gripped up again and continued on as if nothing happened.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Time to slap a Hobbyking Jasontroller on that bitch and get regen and lipo support.

http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=1688

So weird seeing my friends crazy poo poo linked in AI

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

You technically already have a hard top NC...or is this a RX8->ND in which case, rock on!

More like rx8-> NB (98s are NB right?), if I'm able to find a buyer before the one I was looking at sells. Turns out 2004 rx8s with no ac, bad brakes, and 121k miles aren't very valuable. :saddowns:

Id love to get a folding hardtop model but there's no way I can afford one.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I've been watching that nonstop for over an hour. Goddamn, makes me salty all over again over my parents refusing to let me go see Pink Floyd when Division Bell came out. I've seen a few cover bands over the years to make up for it.

The crowd response when David Gilmore suddenly shows up is absolutely incredible.

For reference, it's been widely thought that you would never get David and Roger on the same stage and friendly towards each other ever again. There was considerable bitterness between the two of them over The Wall. There's a companion video to that one, with Roger Waters, David Gilmore, and Nick Mason all three on stage, along with Water's backing band, performing "Beyond the Wall" at the end of the concert, and in it Waters actually apologizes to Gilmore for the split that ended Pink Floyd. It brought tears to my eyes, that these two finally reconciled.

I will state that I don't consider The Division Bell to be a Pink Floyd album - Roger Waters was involved with a legal dispute with the other three over who had rights to the name of the band, and had absolutely no part in the album's production. It's just not Pink Floyd without both Gilmore and Waters.

e. It's just an opinion, of course. There are plenty out there who will claim it's not Pink Floyd without Syd Barret, even though he was only present for the first album and a handful of singles before quitting due to massive mental health problems.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jul 12, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mariooncrack posted:

I finally got it:

Very nice. Did it come with a service history? That's low enough miles that you should know about the timing belt / small crank nose issue and whether that has been addressed or not. http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

Man, I'm kinda surprised that a Miata popped up that was low mileage enough that I'd give that advice, it's been a long time.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Very nice. Did it come with a service history? That's low enough miles that you should know about the timing belt / small crank nose issue and whether that has been addressed or not. http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

Man, I'm kinda surprised that a Miata popped up that was low mileage enough that I'd give that advice, it's been a long time.

No service history. I know it has newer tires and I think the master slave cylinder was replaced recently. I bought it off a friend, who had it less than a year, who bought it from his girlfriend's dad. Before that, it was owned by a Miata enthusiast. It's completely stock.

Timing belt/water pump is a little out of my level of comfort right now so I think I am going to take it to a shop get that taken care of. I checked the VIN before buying it for the short nose crank issue and it's not affected.

Any other maintenance issues I should look out for? I am hoping to use this car to learn how to wrench. I was planning on doing brakes/shocks/spark plugs soon.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

I checked the VIN before buying it for the short nose crank issue and it's not affected.

Any other maintenance issues I should look out for? I am hoping to use this car to learn how to wrench. I was planning on doing brakes/shocks/spark plugs soon.

You can always do a visual check as well, the front pulley is completely different for short and long nose. Other than that they're fairly bulletproof. I bought one sight unseen with no service record marked "for restoration or parts" for about $800 equivalent last autumn, expecting to maybe work on it a few months before putting it through inspection but when it turned up on the truck the drat thing was absolutely fine. I only changed the oil, put on new tires and it passed inspection with no problems. No idea what the seller was thinking but that's the second hand car market in Japan, if it's not impeccable, it may as well be scrap. :downs: About the only thing that's tugged on my balls so far in half a year of ownership was the ECU coolant temp sensor* dying but it's a cheap part and a relatively easy fix. The occasional sudden loss of power building up to it not starting at all one day just made it seem a whole lot worse than it was.

*There are 3 different sensors on the 1.6. One for the ECU, one to activate the cooling fan and one for the dash gauge. :smithicide:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mariooncrack posted:

Nothing major, they are very simple machines, making them perfect for learning. Enjoy it, then put a turbo on it and watch a fun car turn simply silly.

• Locked thread