Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Charlotte is throwing me red flags that I'm going to end up very depressed at the end of it. I'm expecting some sort of curveball now that we know there's the Sword of Damocles hanging over their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Rokka is still good. I'm always down for a fun fantasy adventure anime, so I suspect that this'll be a keeper.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like that it's been really clear about the time scale and how long it's taking for things to happen. Wish if they were going to spend nearly the whole episode on horseback that they would have done a better job with the horses (guess that's pretty standard for anime though).

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Rokka is still good. I'm always down for a fun fantasy adventure anime, so I suspect that this'll be a keeper.
It looks like it will be the unexpectedly decent show of the season. I like the main character's fighting style, and it will get even better judging by the capoeira bit in the OP. The monster designs are cool too with passable CG, and the whole Meso-American inspired setting is a refreshing change from the standard fantasy medieval Europe or Japan.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Looks like Rokka's directed by the same guy as Spice and Wolf and Maoyuu. The former was great and gives me hope, the latter was a bit of a boring adaptation, as I recall. I'll probably make a thread for it soonish if no-one else has.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was thinking about it but I'm lazy so you can.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Shimoneta had an amusing guest appearance by That Pool.

I liked Charlotte's second episode more than the first, but couldn't really say why.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Has the robot merchant fairy guy showed up in Chaos Dragon yet.

I want to know if he singlehandedly saves the show.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

I liked Charlotte's second episode more than the first, but couldn't really say why.

I liked the first episode for the budget Lelouch, which didn't really happen this episode. Also, I was totally sober this episode, which probably didn't help matters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Narita was always going to be the best part of the show so i've no idea why anyone would bother watching it before his character even shows up.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

No, the preview at the end of the (terrible) 2nd episode shows a clip of his reveal. Guess they were saving him to make nerds give it the full 3 episode test instead of dropping it right away.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Second episode of Charlotte had some good points, but the mad scientist angle rubs me the wrong way somehow. The way Nao explains it implies to me that the evil scientists basically operate with impunity and there's nothing that can be done about it. This might be a misleading impression - possibly the guy who funds the school is also working to get mad scientists arrested or whatever - but as it is so far, it feels pessimistic in an unrealistic way. Watching Nao beat up the kids who use their superpowers to be assholes is fun, but it doesn't seem like she's doing much about the really bad people.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 12, 2015

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I would love for Charlotte to be about pretty much annnnnnnnything other than what it is. Everything about it is fantastic except for uh... the actual things in it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

Second episode of Charlotte had some good points, but the mad scientist angle rubs me the wrong way somehow. The way Nao explains it implies to me that the evil scientists basically operate with impunity and there's nothing that can be done about it. This might be a misleading impression - possibly the guy who funds the school is also working to get mad scientists arrested or whatever - but as it is so far, it feels pessimistic in an unrealistic way. Watching Nao beat up the kids who use their superpowers to be assholes is fun, but it doesn't seem like she's doing much about the really bad people.

My thoughts: There is an organization that is seeking to collect people with special abilities, they perform these experiments. However there may be an alternative organization that seeks to prevent this, and does so by getting these kids into their protective custody. This protection is contingent on the kids keeping a low profile. They don't seem to be operating under assumed identities so it's probably an issue of jurisdiction. The 'evil' organization isn't allowed on the other organizations turf; but if the kids act up or are caught doing crimes with their abilities, the protection ends.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Rokka no Yuusha is still going strong. I like that they haven't jumped right into the "Who's the fake Brave?!?" premise yet and are methodically building up to it with a restrained pace. It still looks and sounds great as well.

Charlotte's second episode was more fun than the first, but they may be pushing the Evil Scientists thing a bit too far. Also Maeda's new soundtrack is pretty great, as expected. Overall still good, but it hasn't totally grabbed me the way Angel Beats or Clannad did.

Gate: In which all fantasy humans are comically incompetent arrogant fucks. This isn't even fun to watch. It reeks of so much elitism and arrogance that I almost feel physically sick. gently caress this poo poo. gently caress the author. gently caress the producers.

Gatchaman is still a joy to watch, but I wonder if the writers have gone a bit out of their range. The new villain is just plain stupid and annoying, despite what they were going for. I don't think the idea is bad, but they don't know how to make it work. Also Gel's existence continues to be totally pointless. I'll give it one more episode, but I don't think it'll work.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Anybody know if Crunchyroll ever does a second pass on their subtitles to improve them? Just asking because there's several weirdly-translated lines in Charlotte so far. 'A certain person', 'that person', 'back at that time' and so on, instead of 'someone' and 'back then' and the like. Not too big a deal, but it's pretty irritating and not something I've noticed being much of an issue on previous things I've watched on Crunchyroll. Perhaps it'll improve. After all, the show's only two episodes in.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

crunchyroll is still somewhat lackluster as far as sub quality goes, unfortunately. i don't think they'd do a second pass unless they outright made mistakes, and even not neccesarily then

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only time I've ever seen CR redo something was Punchline when they stupidly translated Uber as Yuber for like the first two thirds of the series.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
CR fixed a typo where Jotaro claimed that his jacket was worth 20,000 yen instead of 2,000. Only one I've witnessed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ViggyNash posted:

Gate: In which all fantasy humans are comically incompetent arrogant fucks. This isn't even fun to watch. It reeks of so much elitism and arrogance that I almost feel physically sick. gently caress this poo poo. gently caress the author. gently caress the producers.

I'm not the only one waiting for it to turn to poo poo but up to this point so far I actually don't think you've watched the show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fantasy humans are jerks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I haven't watched the show but if the military destroys elves then, well, that's good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

elves suck

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They're the worst!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

military rules, elves drool

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Don't know what's going on in Shirouyuki as it seems like the main conflict was resolved in the first episode but I'm looking forward to her being that kingdom's head herbalist or something.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not the only one waiting for it to turn to poo poo but up to this point so far I actually don't think you've watched the show.

I didn't mean arrogance/elitism on part of the fantasy guys, but yeah I didn't make that clear.

I mean on the part of the super cool badass army that mows down all those ignorant brutes. It's like watching a WW1 movie where one side steamrolls the other, the end. There's no story about survival or heroism or a commentary of war to provide some thematic context. Just a bunch of people being massacred by the tens of thousands with no narrative purpose.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

smenj posted:

Anybody know if Crunchyroll ever does a second pass on their subtitles to improve them? Just asking because there's several weirdly-translated lines in Charlotte so far. 'A certain person', 'that person', 'back at that time' and so on, instead of 'someone' and 'back then' and the like. Not too big a deal, but it's pretty irritating and not something I've noticed being much of an issue on previous things I've watched on Crunchyroll. Perhaps it'll improve. After all, the show's only two episodes in.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's not technically wrong, so I doubt they'll go back and fix it, but its very amateurish and needs an editing pass. It's the worst I've ever seen from Crunchyroll though, so I figured they just stuck a new hire on this.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Clarste posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's not technically wrong, so I doubt they'll go back and fix it, but its very amateurish and needs an editing pass. It's the worst I've ever seen from Crunchyroll though, so I figured they just stuck a new hire on this.

Must've done. It's a little annoying to look at, since it looks like something that could be fixed in ten minutes or so, which makes it all the more strange. Most of the lines in question are ones it'd be pretty easy to think of a better-reading alternative for.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ViggyNash posted:

I didn't mean arrogance/elitism on part of the fantasy guys, but yeah I didn't make that clear.

I mean on the part of the super cool badass army that mows down all those ignorant brutes. It's like watching a WW1 movie where one side steamrolls the other, the end. There's no story about survival or heroism or a commentary of war to provide some thematic context. Just a bunch of people being massacred by the tens of thousands with no narrative purpose.

This disproportionate match up is something we've seen happen many times throughout history when a more modern force engages a less modern one. That isn't elitism or arrogance, it's just fact. The genre is "Humanity gently caress Yeah", the basic idea is "Can we with modern weaponry easily defeat a supernatural force (Or aliens)?" This sort of genre generally presupposes 'Humans win'. They're massacred (though with honourable charitable attempts at flexible tactical thinking by attacking at night) because they're literally a 1st century BC army with swords and steel armour attacking well dug in and prepared enemy positions with modern weapons. How is it supposed to turn out? Really?

It's only on it's second episode but I think it's fairly clear that the central focus isn't going to be about honest pitch battles between a modern army and an ancient one, because we all know there is only one result. Defeat. So the focus will switch to how the modern world interacts with a less modern one.

"No narrative purpose" is clearly wrong. It's the second episode, it's like saying the Red Wedding is about a bunch of dudes getting massacred for no reason until you see the rest, let's be honest here. We saw the battlefield and we saw the JSDF soldiers looking over the battlefield with discomfort, 'war is hell' would be an interpretation as to where the Studio may be taking the source material. The main character points out specifically that 120,000 dudes dying in a few days is messed up, his mind can barely process the scale of it.

I actually went into this show expecting it to be akin to something made by a Japanese Stuart Slade but I find myself enjoying it and I think your criticisms are as yet unwarranted. It is VERY easy to come up with justifiable interpretations as for what happened on screen and what meaning to the narrative it has.

Because a major detail it seems you missed is the Not!Roman Emperor using the obvious superiority of the JSDF to his advantage to eliminate his political rivals shows that this show has potential.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yes! Now my sins defending Mahouka will be forgotten! Take the stage, Raenir!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The really loving bananas stuff in Gate doesn't get going for awhile also please stick to the Gate containment thread

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Prison school isn't on Hulu plus still!!!! gently caress you funimation!!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So how's god eater been holding up since it's premiere?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

WickedHate posted:

Yes! Now my sins defending Mahouka will be forgotten! Take the stage, Raenir!

I shall humbly take this prestigious honour with due diligence.

I went into Gate really trying to dislike it but the show is too engineered to appeal to me and the MC is too relateable to me to be anything more than mildly concerned at some things. If/When it does get bad then yeah.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

God eater is lame. no personality and despite the neat art style the fights were boring as heck

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

righteous baps though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist had it's second episode and... it's still not bad. It could still drop the other shoe at any point and go downhill fast as the premise escalates, but thus far it at least seems to keep itself behind a self-set line and just be dumb silly fun. It's managed to avoid taking the easy fanservice route by not doing anything blatant (even when there's easy opportunities like grabbing a dirty magazine, all you see is what's in their hand in passing rather than gratuitous close-ups), and any time it does show something blatant, it's covered with one of the show's own censorship stickers to leave what's behind it to the imagination. Especially when part of the basic premise is that all the students have been raised to be so uptight and moral that most don't even know where babies come from beyond being given a handwavey explanation of "love".

Classroom Crisis still doesn't know what it wants to be, and the high school side of it's still pretty superfluous for a bunch of reasons. There is a stab at explaining how A-TEC (their class/division) works in the school and company, but it still doesn't really work when they're all clearly highly-qualified in their own right rather than students getting advanced education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I have worked out a deal where I and a friend must punish ourselves and are requesting the worst show of this season, you anim-havers.

• Locked thread