Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

Dear Derek,

Whats it like living with full fledged autism? Second question, whats it like having an encyclopedia dramatica entry? I'm kinda jealous and need to know how this feels.

Edit: Eonwe - I love you, missed you, when are you coming over again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Infinitum posted:

Darren, what are your plans RE:Star Marine source code leak? When should we expect your Not-Star Citizen release on Steam?

I greatly enjoyed your recent Not-WoW game very much. Look at those numbers Daryl. If these Not-WoW numbers are anything to go by, then there's clearly a Not-Star Citizen market ready to be exploited.

I have not seen anything related to such a source code leak, and can't comment on it. And I'm not sure what "plans" I could possibly have, when a) it's not my game b) we already have a fully working first module in my games, including the upcoming Line Of Defense.

As to Alganon, well, it is what it is. I took over and funded that game since 2010, and it's coming in leaps and bounds. It's one of those things whereby, for me, as long as it continues to pay for itself, why take it offline? There are people still playing MUDS from over 20+ years ago, and they're still going strong. Just the other day, a bunch of us were discussing just how it is that Ultima Online, is still running.

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

Dear Derek.

I was just a kid when I heard about Battlecruiser 3000 AD. All the awesome features and possibilities. It caught my imagination and was supposed to be everything I wanted from a game. I could hardly wait to buy and try and play it. I have been waiting for years for the opportunity to say this.

gently caress you.

Edit: And gently caress your pride over the money you have. Part of that is in fact money I could have used for food but you cheated me out of it. You loving hack

SirTagz fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 12, 2015

SubMerged
Jan 14, 2003

SALT POTATOES

love cal, dave, and jordi
but derek i thought you were out

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

RattiRatto posted:

Hello Derek, thanks for staying with us today in this thread.
We were wondering, how many followers do you have? Trusted sources told us that your network is bigger than the SC one.
When is your project gonna land in kickstarter?

I have a pretty large following, and they are responsible for me being around this long. If we assume that 900K people - to date - who have pledged to Star Citizen make up the entire fan base, then yeah, I think it's safe to say that my install base is much larger.

I have money to fund my projects, so they aren't likely to end up in crowd-funding. I think the closest I will ever get to that, is Early Access (I have two titles on Steam Early Access) because it has more accountability for both sides of the equation.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

D_Smart posted:

I have not seen anything related to such a source code leak, and can't comment on it. And I'm not sure what "plans" I could possibly have, when a) it's not my game b) we already have a fully working first module in my games, including the upcoming Line Of Defense.

You mean this Line of Defense? The early access MMO with zero players, and somehow NEGATIVE players reported on Steamspy?

Oh, and the 111 players at peak was due to a store glitch that made the game F2P for a few hours, but nobody could log on.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

neonbregna posted:

Derek,

Here is a handy list of usernames of goons that may be interested in becoming a part of whatever the FTC moves forward with https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ag42gMGK9WrwdDlkdUM2NEhudW42MkNfWDhJYmhFSVE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=0

That list is beautiful.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dead Like Rev posted:

Edit: Eonwe - I love you, missed you, when are you coming over again?

we talkin about jabber or mumble?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

neonbregna posted:

Derek,

Here is a handy list of usernames of goons that may be interested in becoming a part of whatever the FTC moves forward with https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Ag42gMGK9WrwdDlkdUM2NEhudW42MkNfWDhJYmhFSVE&f=true&noheader=true&gid=0

pretend i posted the throwup gif here

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Eonwe posted:

we talkin about jabber or mumble?

You promised me dinner sir. DINNER AND A MOVIE.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SirTagz posted:

Dear Derek.

I was just a kid when I heard about Battlecruiser 3000 AD. All the awesome features and possibilities. It caught my imagination and was supposed to be everything I wanted from a game. I could hardly wait to buy and try and play it. I have been waiting for years for the opportunity to say this.

gently caress you.

Edit: And gently caress your pride over the money you have. Part of that is in fact money I could have used for food but you cheated me out of it. You loving hack

I wonder if in 15 years you'll be posting this to Chris Roberts on a forum thread somewhere about the next big space game.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Thanks, Derek Smart.

I hope that a few years from now I can warmly recall the time that Derek Smart brought down Chris Roberts' ponzi game.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

D_Smart posted:

I have a pretty large following, and they are responsible for me being around this long. If we assume that 900K people - to date - who have pledged to Star Citizen make up the entire fan base, then yeah, I think it's safe to say that my install base is much larger.

I have money to fund my projects, so they aren't likely to end up in crowd-funding. I think the closest I will ever get to that, is Early Access (I have two titles on Steam Early Access) because it has more accountability for both sides of the equation.

Hey Derek, what's your favorite anime?

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Hey Derek, what's your favorite anime?

I bet its something with tentacle rape or school girls.... Or Gundams.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Derek Smart is better and more qualified to judge what is happening to this game than any of you faggots

Maltag
Oct 1, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Darren, what are your plans RE:Star Marine source code leak? When should we expect your Not-Star Citizen release on Steam?

I greatly enjoyed your recent Not-WoW game very much. Look at those numbers Daryl. If these Not-WoW numbers are anything to go by, then there's clearly a Not-Star Citizen market ready to be exploited.

You suck at posting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Derek Smart who would win in a fight? Joseph Joestar or The Punisher?

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

AP posted:

I wonder if in 15 years you'll be posting this to Chris Roberts on a forum thread somewhere about the next big space game.

No, I learned my lesson with Derek here already.

But I bet someone will and we can only hope the 'gently caress you' will be also just a feeble shout at the forums - considering I was only out some 40$ but these people are burning their life savings and breaking up families.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestonJew posted:

jojo always wins

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Hi Derek

1) I was just wondering, do you have any information on some of the reasons why employees were let go? I understood that the Supervisory Art Director Lance Powell and Jenny Varner from the Community Team got recently fired. I also wondered why Martin Galway was gone so quickly as Audio Director.

2) Also, if Chris Roberts would offer you an executive role on his team, would you take it and help in getting this production back on track? If yes, what would be your first action in that role?

3) Last Question, when looking at the Ship Status List, what do you personally think how long it would take to implement all these ships?

4) Also do you have any further information on the relationship between CIG and Crytek?

5) Last Question is "Smart" your real last name or is this a stage name? :)

Cheers & thanks for popping in and spreading some facts.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 12, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Dear Derek,

I was actually completely serious about asking for a job.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

Is this Battle Tendency or Stardust Crusaders Joseph? Is The Punisher thoroughly prepared or caught unaware?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

sorla78 posted:

Based on your background and expertise and taking into account the outsider perspective, what do you think where the technical challenges reside that CIG might encounter and has to overcome?

Also, lacking the experience in Programming myself to have an educated opinion - but I am also wondering how their current progress on expanding/implementing additional capability into the CryEngine (such as 64bit precision) compares, are people with the relevant background actually impressed about the progress or are there unexplainable delays?

Hi, as I mentioned in my Interstellar Citizens article, the technical challenges loom large, but they are not insurmountable. The biggest problem is going to be execution and time. Just because you can do something in one month, doesn't mean it's going to work when it's done. And you could find yourself iterating for months on end. Then by the time it's done, there's no hw to run it.

Implementing 64-Bit precision into the CryEngine was, imo, not necessary if all they were looking for was to build a large scene. I have built massive game worlds (please go check Universal Combat CE on Steam - it's free) without that level of precision.

The thing is that, while it's nice to have, they could have still built the PU without it, by connecting all the systems via jump gates. And each of those systems, linked by jump gates (which is what I did here with my galaxy), would have been scaled to fit within the CryEngine3 max scene limits.

My guess is that they chose to do it this way because they wanted to have everything, and everyone, within the same space. Which is very - very - bad. By splitting it up, you have more control over clients, updates etc.

I did the same thing with Line Of Defense in splitting up the game world. Even though we could have fit all the world within one big scene, I opted not to do that. Instead, I split it up into 13 (4 space, 4 planets, 4 stations, 1 carrier) sections, all connected by jump anomalies. This allows us to do super fast updates whereby people in Heatwave, don't need to know anything about people in Frostbite. Win.

But this is the choice they made, and my guess is that it's not going to work out as expected.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Infinitum posted:

Is this Battle Tendency or Stardust Crusaders Joseph? Is The Punisher thoroughly prepared or caught unaware?

battle tendency and lets say they both have had time to prepare

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Still awaiting on the cease and desist on this thread

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
So this thread is now a Derek Smart AMA thread? I want to know about SC crashing and burning or Chris Roberts owning all y'all with the best game ever!

Disclosure not a backer just enjoying the drama. Keep posting updates about what you find Derek. :)

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 12, 2015

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Derek Smart seems to be the indie dev version of the Gary Busey character in 'Point Break'

Angelo Pappas, Derek Smart's Alter Ego posted:

Listen you snot-nose little poo poo, I was takin' shrapnel in Khe Sanh when you were crappin' in your hands and rubbin' it on your face.

(this is a good thing)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

OhDearGodNo posted:

Not to be funny.

I thought about it last night and now have complete confidence in this game. I know CR talked about using VMs with the GIM and it worries me but I realize they meant Containers and ZeroMQ although it was never actually mentioned, and Google is going to do it for free because crowdfunding against publishers rocks.

This game is going to be the poo poo. Even if the technology doesn't exist CIG has filled it's resource base with the best and brightest innovators to push gaming to the next level.

No. It won't work. Besides, unless you've been following their dev notes, you should know by now that they've ripped out swathes of stuff in the past, stuff they were confident would work. I have NO confidence that the PU will become a reality, or that RSI will still be around to see that happen. Yes - you may bookmark this response.

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

Dear Derek,

Whats the best Gundam? Unicorn, 0083, The Original Gundam, or Gundam X?

Whittle
Sep 18, 2011

Derek,

Is there any part of the Star Citizen concept that as a gamer you would genuinely be intrigued to play / want CIG to deliver? **

Just asking for a friend.

o7

** other than a refund :sun:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Whittle posted:

** other than a refund :sun:

He hasn't asked for a refund from what he's said.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
A nerdy question probably not worth answering, but do you still play video games a lot and what are your all-time favorites?

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Derek, if cases get heard, and better yet have any chance of success they need to be based on fact.

quote:

- the project slipped it's original Nov 2014 ship date as promised in the Oct 2012 Kickstarter pledge

So what - how does this become an FTC/Legal matter? It could be argued that as due to the success in the project they have been working to build a stable base game that would facilitate the stretch goals and and making it better than intended? Of course the development time will extend, but even kickstarter backers will end up with a better game.

quote:

- almost four (1 year prior to KS, 2 years pledged timeline, 8 months delayed) years, they have not delivered a game; of any scope as originally pitched in 2012

First year you quote was spent on the tech demo. It's not dev time. Again, missing a release date is not a legal issue.

quote:

- key people (we have a running list) have been leaving, some for patently dubious reasons / - some ex personnel have already taken to places like glassdoor to voice concerns

It was said Wingman wouldn't move to Chris's location where he needed his leads. Another left to look after a sick family member. Glass Door reviews are not glowing, but hardly shocking. For a company of CIG's size it's just natural attrition. People leave due to job satisfaction reasons all the time without it leading to the company becoming involved in FTC. Do you have any evidence to the contrary?

quote:

- key modules are either completely broken (Arena Commander), or put on indefinite hold (Star Marine fps module)

Something can be said to be broken when they are released as crap and then told it is "working as intended" with no progress. CIG can argue they have worked very hard to keep us informed and more open than any developer ever. Drop the "indefinite hold" rubbish as it is just a third hand clickbait title. You need to do better.

quote:

- technological hurdles, and the limitations of the CryEngine3 they chose, have only now started coming to light as recently as June's dev update

An argument could be made that focus was initially on the 64bit engine conversion until the netcode issue was more clearly understood so that it could be solved more efficiently. People coming off the conversion are now working on netcode.

quote:

- chris had already stated that the game needed $20 million, on the minimum side, to be made. We're $85m in. No game / - they continued to increase the scope of the project, not only as a way to continue raising money through stretch goals, but also thereby putting the project at risk of never being completed as originally visioned; as doing so, makes it a very expensive proposition

The game of the initial scope. No one disagrees that the game increased in scope - but did so with backer enthusiasm and approval based on funding levels achieved.

quote:

- they continue to crowd-fund and raise money...

Kind of like Elite Dangerous right?

quote:

selling virtual items for a game that doesn't exist

yet? Shroud of the Avatar did the same thing selling virtual block of land before the game is out?

quote:

...and based on a TOS that all but guarantees that people who pledge, will have no recourse to get their money back, unless they sued and got the TOS tossed (as we suspect that it will, if the FTC doesn't get there first) by a judge

Kickstarter agrees people don't get money back and need to evaluate risk. They do say "The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers." So the TOS appears in line with established law.

Note this however :

quote:

A creator in this position has only remedied the situation [If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards - not this is not about delays] and met their obligations to backers if:

1. they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
2. they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
3. they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
4. they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
5. they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.

It can be argued that they have done 1, 2, 3 (unless you have evidence it is in fact being spent on drugs) and they don't need to do 5 unless the project is aborted. Does failed communication to backers constitute a "material misrepresentation" however? Perhaps what you need is the deleted pages from the RSI site which are pulled when "they are no longer accurate".

quote:

- investigations in the past weeks, and discussions with various people, have led to some very alarming, and disturbing things that, I'm not even going to bother making public - yet.

Most importantly, did you put those on facebook too?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Octopode posted:

Mr. Smart: The FTC is fairly transparent in that it intervenes when there is compelling evidence that actual violations of law are at stake. With that in mind, what aspects of CIG's crowdfunding campaign or behavior do you believe have actually caused concern that an actual law is being broken, and what law is that? With specifics, please. CIG is not, legally, a public company and crowdfunding backers are not public investors in that company, under the definition of the law. Because of that, CIG does not have a legal duty to act in the best interests of crowdfunding backers, so complaints such as frivolous spending of the money on private jets and the like aren't actually criminally valid so long as CIG can show progress continues to be made towards delivering the promised product (which they have a solid history of doing, legally).

Despite your claims on twitter and here earlier, CIG and Chris Roberts don't have any disclosure requirements to backers; the law is very clear on what constitutes a public company, and the requirements thereof, and crowdfunding is not sufficient to meet those requirements. With that in mind, do you really believe that you, or any other backer, are entitled to see privileged internal company information, such as financial records? If I were to pre-order Derek Smart's Battlecruiser 5000AD, should I be privvy to your financial information? Why or why not?

I have never accused them of anything illegal, or any wrong-doing, other than having failed to deliver as promised. And contrary to the Internet lawyering, yes, if investigators find out that he's spending backer money on things that he shouldn't, they have a right to question it. Let me ask you this, if it is true that he's flying around on private jets, with backer money, don't you find that questionable?

Quoted from my upcoming article

quote:

This all came to a head when, after doing extensive research and investigation, my conclusion was derived from these events listed below. And this is just a short (the entire list, which I will make public soon, is currently 29 entries long, to date! UPDATE: the list is now 33 entries long) list of important key points:

- the project slipped it's original Nov 2014 ship date as promised in the Oct 2012 Kickstarter pledge

- almost four (1 year prior to KS, 2 years pledged timeline, 8 months delayed) years, they have not delivered a game; of any scope as originally pitched in 2012

- key people (we have a running list) have been leaving, some for patently dubious reasons

- some ex personnel have already taken to places like glassdoor to voice concerns

- key modules are either completely broken (Arena Commander), or put on indefinite hold (Star Marine fps module)

- technological hurdles, and the limitations of the CryEngine3 they chose, have only now started coming to light as recently as June's dev update

- chris had already stated that the game needed $20 million, on the minimum side, to be made. We're $85m in. No game.

- they continued to increase the scope of the project, not only as a way to continue raising money through stretch goals, but also thereby putting the project at risk of never being completed as originally visioned; as doing so, makes it a very expensive proposition

- they continue to crowd-fund and raise money, selling virtual items for a game that doesn't exist, and based on a TOS that all but guarantees that people who pledge, will have no recourse to get their money back, unless they sued and got the TOS tossed (as we suspect that it will, if the FTC doesn't get there first) by a judge

- investigations in the past weeks, and discussions with various people, have led to some very alarming, and disturbing things that, I'm not even going to bother making public - yet.

quote:

The Commission files a complaint when it has “reason to believe” that the law has been or is being violated and it appears to the Commission that a proceeding is in the public interest. Stipulated orders have the force of law when approved and signed by the District Court judge.

The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357). The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 2,000 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad. The FTC’s website provides free information on a variety of consumer topics. Like the FTC on Facebook(link is external), follow us on Twitter(link is external), and subscribe to press releases for the latest FTC news and resources.

There are numerous articles already written about the crowd-funding fiasco; here is a quote from this one:

quote:

What can we learn from all of this activity? The Federal Trade Commission and the states are paying close attention to crowdfunding, and to the promises that entrepreneur are making to their backers when raising money in such campaigns. And although crowdfunding may seem like an easy way to raise money to make your fabulous new idea a reality, regulators will not shy away from applying the tried-and-true FTC Act and its state law equivalents to police any bad behavior; not only that there may be some new laws to contend with as well.

And here is another one, which I will also quote from:

quote:

The Federal Trade Commission makes and enforces rules to protect consumers from unfair or deceptive business practices, and its consumer protection principles apply to crowdfunding sites in the same way they apply to things like catalogs, direct mail and TV commercials, according to Helen Wong, an attorney with the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. Sellers can’t make deceptive representations, and they have to fulfill promises they’ve made to consumers, for starters.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yo Derek, I'm just wondering if you own the game?
If so what are your views on it as it stands - drama aside, do you enjoy what is there?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Skoll posted:

Dear Derek,

I was actually completely serious about asking for a job.
Maybe you two can develop a game together.

3000th Reich AD sounds pretty exciting.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

@ Derek Smart,

First, Thanks for coming back despite some grown adults acting like some of my high school students. I appreciate that.

Second, I was and still am a big fan of BC3000 and BC millenium, They are actually what I consider my entry into "space sims" it's unbelievably complicated but fun when you get it figured out. I appreciate the work and the hell that you had to go through with the project. - Not trolling I'm serious.

I'd like to ask a few questions:

1) You came up with a number of around 3 million USD going out and about 500k coming in currently. Beer4theBeerGod, a few others, and myself had a discussion in mid-2014 on the RSI forums that came up with a number around 2.7 million outflow. Where did you come about the 3 million number and can you cite a source for this?

2) What initially gave you thought to take this to the FTC instead of filing a civil class action suit? I'm curious why you want to go the FTC route, as a civil suit would allow your own attorneys the right of discovery and access to the CIG books.

3) How many backers currently are involved in the complaint to the FTC? I'm curious how much traction it's gained since your initial mention of getting them involved.

Also because of your posting here I followed you on twitter. Keep it coming. Don't mind the forum trolls you know how it is, some people don't have much better to do with their lives.

You should post here more regularly, the goons worth a poo poo actually want this game to be made but have a pretty healthy level of skepticism just like you do. You have more in common than you have differences and I think you'd be a good addition to the thread.

1) Sadly, as you know, I cannot cite sources. But think about this: how far is $3m from $2.7m? Especially considering that they have been ramping up with various activities, including SQ42 shoots and all that

2) I did not take it to the FTC. People who once felt that they had no recourse before, did that once I showed them how. As I mentioned in the previous answer, I gave bullet points why I chose to have the spotlight shine on this now, before it's too late. My next article, due out tomorrow (depending on legal clearance), sheds more light on this

3) I do not know, as I do not have access to the FTC numbers. What I do know from the attorney who had works closely on FTC cases, is that they have a criteria for picking out cases. And since this one has so much exposure, going by the amount of money involved, and the growing online dissent, they have no choice but to investigate. As I said in the podcast, they may not even find anything wrong. I don't care about that. What I care about is that they get the game done sooner, rather than later.

ps: If you liked those older games, you should see about getting the free version of Universal Combat CE on Steam

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I don't know about you but if I had $85 million in no strings attached money the first thing I would to would be open seven or eight separate offices with several hundred employees in some of the most expensive real estate regions in the world, it's just efficient business. :shrug:

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hey guys I like space and toilets. Should I buy this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't think this thread could get shittier.

• Locked thread