Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, apparently you are required to run drag radials or other forms of slick tires. That's $500 I don't have, not to mention my truck is probably a lot slower than they normally get :v:

Also, when did BFG stop making drag radials?
I just wanted to watch! Nothing I have is close to as fast as most of the stuff running there.

Geoj posted:

In the early 2000s someone was selling cats genetically-modified to "switch off" the gene that results in the production of the protein that triggers allergies. For $3500.

Not sure if they're still around or being bred though...
I think this was a scam and they were selling Bengals which are naturally low allergen cats.

Great Beer posted:

More like rx8-> NB (98s are NB right?), if I'm able to find a buyer before the one I was looking at sells. Turns out 2004 rx8s with no ac, bad brakes, and 121k miles aren't very valuable. :saddowns:

Id love to get a folding hardtop model but there's no way I can afford one.
You deliver pizza in an rx8?
Uhh... Let me tell you about bad ideas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

mafoose posted:

You deliver pizza in an rx8?
Uhh... Let me tell you about bad ideas...

I know. If my jeep was running I'd use that. It wasn't exactly my intention but they're the only place I'd gotten a reply from in the last 10 months. :smith:

Fortunately the area is so spread out every run ends up being around 5 miles round trip, with a lot of that on the highway we're next to. And i have plenty of chances to redline it throughout the night. Plus I'm so busy the engine is never running cold. So hopefully the wear isn't too much worse than normal.

The gas mileage though... Ugh.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I love how this online school orientation course has a whole video dedicated to teaching you how to get your username and password to log into the school's student center website... which you already had to know how to do to get to the course in the first place.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Great Beer posted:

I know. If my jeep was running I'd use that. It wasn't exactly my intention but they're the only place I'd gotten a reply from in the last 10 months. :smith:

Fortunately the area is so spread out every run ends up being around 5 miles round trip, with a lot of that on the highway we're next to. And i have plenty of chances to redline it throughout the night. Plus I'm so busy the engine is never running cold. So hopefully the wear isn't too much worse than normal.

The gas mileage though... Ugh.

Between using a jeep or an rx8 for deliveries I'd rather blow my brains out

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The guys over at Hyundai must have been laughing their asses off when they put a fuel consumption gauge in my car.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The guys over at Hyundai must have been laughing their asses off when they put a fuel consumption gauge in my car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Great Beer posted:

...i have plenty of chances to redline it throughout the night...

...The gas mileage though... Ugh.

Related? Nah, couldn't be.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

Meat is right about interest rates, if that's all you're worried about you've got plenty of time.

As for home price, for the year you're buying a peak height of price so expect anything you buy to dip over fall to winter, then likely climb up and a touch over next summer (assuming we stay on the same trajectory). You're also competing against buys with kids right now who want to make the move over summer break. While inventory will be lower come fall, so will buyers and historically prices too.

What you didn't mention that I have to ask... Do you like the house? Does it have a decent garage and other stuff you like? Cause if you don't like it DEFINITELY don't buy it, but if you like it barring small details you might fix and it seems like a good decision, go for it.

And while I know the commute is long, just remember, it's pretty common to not stay in your first house more than 5-10 years. I stayed in my first five years and just past my sixth year here. I'm a little on the fence if I'm going to stay longer. If I do, I build a dream garage with a MIL above it, but I could also just move a bit out a city and get something that already has a huge garage and an acre of trees to boot. Point being, situations change over time, so even if you buy this now in the scheme of things you may not be there THAT long.

The house is fine - not my particular style but very few houses are. It needs about $20-25k of work (cabinet refinishes, floor refinish, additional lighting, new porch, bathroom remodel).

It's a perfect place for a family - block from a state park (forest with trails), play ground 2 houses down the street (Dead end), best schools in the state. It's mostly the commute and distance from things I like to do that concern me - I wouldn't hesitate to buy the house if it was closer in.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

My aunt just came back from Hawaii, and brought me a Hawaiian shirt. I'm a 6'0", 375 lbs lardass. I could use this shirt as a dress, or perhaps a small tent.

e. Looked at the tag. 10XLT :pwn: :btroll: :pwn:

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 12, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
So in Hawaii you're like a medium.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
It's, like, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole-sized.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The way I understand it, Hawaiian women love their big fat guys. If it wasn't for the insane cost of living, I'd be booking plane tickets now.

e.

Arriviste posted:

It's, like, Israel Kamakawiwoʻole-sized.

How did I never know this guy existed? I know what I'm playing on Youtube the rest of the day.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 12, 2015

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Thelonious posted:

Any rust belt goons at Iola? I've been here for three hours and could already make sizable posts in both the awesome and terrible threads.

I was there.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Truck is currently getting 11mpg. :toot:/:smithicide:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy shitballs going from a first gen iPad to an Air 2 is like :stare:

My first gen has been an absolute tank. Will likely relegate it to garage duty. It's been thru me, wife, kid...Still works, just slow from all the iOS upgrades. Going on what...9 years of use? Not bad.

Tide fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 12, 2015

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Guys there's this really cute cat on my porch, should I keep it? It doesn't have a collar.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Guys there's this really cute cat on my porch, should I keep it? It doesn't have a collar.

Get out there and pet that thing, nothing could possibly go wrong.

Alternate plan - if you already have anther cat, send it out as an emissary to greet the new fellow.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Is it missing a leg?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLEfrulUEcs

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Locator posted:

Ah the fun of rotary engines, particular the one in the 8. I'm beginning to think the entire project was a massive 'gently caress you' from Mazda to new buyers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The rotary was the science experiment that almost bankrupted the company twice. Yeah, it's neat, but it's a novelty and there is much more to lose than gain by chasing the rotary dragon.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Hey at least your m3 has the nice oil temp gauge instead of the fun-o-meter my e36 m3 has.

The Locator posted:

You kinda have to do that because they'll get loaded up with carbon on short trips.

With all the money on gas and wear, would it work out to be a cook instead?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mafoose posted:

Hey at least your m3 has the nice oil temp gauge instead of the fun-o-meter my e36 m3 has.

But it doesn't have a dipstick so you can simply check your loving oil.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Well, I guess I can cross that off the list of ever wanting to own one.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

mafoose posted:

Also the dealer needs to reprogram the alternator if you swap the battery or it'll eat itself alive.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

mafoose posted:

You kinda have to do that because they'll get loaded up with carbon on short trips.

With all the money on gas and wear, would it work out to be a cook instead?

The gas compensation they give me is surprisingly accurate for what I'm using so that parts not horribad. By my math I'm doing around 14-16 MPG. But the only position available was driver and Ive made a living doing it before so I knew what I was getting in to. Its just super frustrating that everything is getting more expensive but I'm making less than I was 5 years ago. With the hour restrictions part time places have now doing cook work would necessitate another job, while delivering I can theoretically do one long enough to find something in my field and move on. And as much as I complain about it, I really do enjoy the hell out of driving the RX8. I even like its stupid engine. This job is just not anywhere close to what it was designed for.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So... apparently I bought a set of whitewalls. Bridgestone B420 (:350:) for the foz beater. Whitewalls are going to be pretty pimpin :dukedog:

Couldn't really tell they were whitewalls from the sellers picture, and in person I didn't really notice it either.

Spent about an hour scrubbing away and now they're all shiny and magnificent

Pretty good deal at $60 for the set. They're old, but the rubber isn't dryrotted and they have almost no wear on them. Pretty sure they were bought NOS and then put on for part of a season then stored in his shed for the last couple years.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What's the date code on those? The only time I ever saw a set was on my dad's Voyager when I was like 16.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bajaha posted:

So... apparently I bought a set of whitewalls. Bridgestone B420 (:350:) for the foz beater. Whitewalls are going to be pretty pimpin :dukedog:

Couldn't really tell they were whitewalls from the sellers picture, and in person I didn't really notice it either.

Pretty good deal at $60 for the set. They're old, but the rubber isn't dryrotted and they have almost no wear on them. Pretty sure they were bought NOS and then put on for part of a season then stored in his shed for the last couple years.
You say that till one tire decides to peel itself like a grape at 60mph.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Joined the catte crew yesterday. Coworker's mom had a mother and some kittens dropped off at her place and was trying to find homes for them. Going to have to get out my real camera but after a bunch of attempts I managed to get two non-action (blurry) shots.

Ada Lovelace loafin:

Splunk actually sitting still for more than half a second:

Ada is about 1.5 years old and as far as they (and I) could tell is basically perfect. She's super chill and loving and does all the things you want a cat to do like use the litterbox, not destroy stuff, and manager her own food intake. Splunk is pretty loving as well and really playful and is also do well with the cat things. Didn't really want to get a cat yet but they're awesome and my coworker's mom has already covered all the vet bills for getting them fixed and their shots as well as supplying the necessities (food, litter, etc.) for the next ~6 months. Couldn't say no to that.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

But it doesn't have a dipstick so you can simply check your loving oil.

My E60 had the dip stick less engine. What a dumb loving idea, especially an engine that likes to burn oil for dinner.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Date code was for 03, so drat old, no idea how they survived this far.
They only have to last a few months before winter, getting proper winters for it, but in the mean time I needed the cheapest tires that'll pass a safety inspection. They don't check dates, only tread depth and if they're dry rotted which the (much newer) tires currently on it are.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Date code was for 03, so drat old, no idea how they survived this far.

Yeesh. The original spare on my Ranger, which was only a couple years older at the time, lasted about 20 miles of extremely cautious city driving. So, uh, please don't kill yourself.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Bajaha posted:

these need to be mounted on steelies with poverty-caps to be :perfect:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeesh. The original spare on my Ranger, which was only a couple years older at the time, lasted about 20 miles of extremely cautious city driving. So, uh, please don't kill yourself.

I'll try not to, I hope. I've seen others driving on ticking time bombs that have pre-2000's date codes. Always makes me go wtf as to how they haven't blown out yet.

The minimum I need them to last is for the drive to the shop for a safety and back. Thinking of going with the cheap favorite winter tire, firestone winterforce, at least 205/70R15 is a cheap size.

E: also thinking rubber survives the cooler climate in the frozen north than the scorching hellscape of Nevada/Arizona. We get to deal with rust, not brittle and broken plastics/rubber

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 13, 2015

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
At a light, this father was crossing with his 6/7 year-old son. The father was pointing at this cherry BMW 3.0 CS, saying, "I had one just like it, a 1974 3.0 CS... son? Look!"
And the kid wasn't paying attention at all :smith:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

mafoose posted:

If you're put off owning amazing cars because they are more complex than a Volvo 240.... you might be an AI poster (outrageous laugh track)

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

CA crossover, but I've been shopping bikes lately after I sold mine and I rode a V4 Aprilia Tuono today. I am a generally risk-averse sensible person... I care deeply about things like Wise Purchases, Cost-of-Parts, Probability of Police Attention, etc. Then I rode this stupid bike under an overpass at 6000rpm in 1st and the sound nearly brought me to orgasm (that's a stock can, mine had an Akra). The drat thing will do like 90 in 1st and I was on side streets/test riding someone else's bike, but when I hit 2nd with gas it tried to get out from underneath me and I loved it.

I didn't buy it yet because I'll:homebrew:probably:homebrew:lose:homebrew:my:homebrew:license:homebrew: but I can't stop thinking about it

hel;p

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

Is it missing a leg?

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but that's a bobcat and bobcats have bobbed tails

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

rndmnmbr posted:

I'm pretty sure, from the trailer footage, this is going to be the concert this is from.

That's loving awesome. In have a brother in with a ton of great acid fueled Pink Floyd concert stories.

For sheer energy at a concert I've always liked this one... https://youtu.be/_W7wqQwa-TU

Just look at that poo poo. I cannot imagine the vibe in the middle of that crowd.

• Locked thread