Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

like we won't ever meet them, but it's cool that they exist somewhere

this is true, right? i kind of just assumed based on math and science stuff i thought about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Gorsh!

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
matter is the only true identity of stuff

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah pretty much, OP.

Although possibly the earth first life forms were actually carried here on an space jetson from another plant, making all life on earth alien technically, meaning we are utterly surrounded by aliens every moment of every day.

Not a likely scenario, but apparently technically possible. so all in all pretty trip, if true.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Statistically speaking, I've had sex.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Check your numbers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

dr_rat posted:

Yeah pretty much, OP.

Although possibly the earth first life forms were actually carried here on an space jetson from another plant, making all life on earth alien technically, meaning we are utterly surrounded by aliens every moment of every day.

Not a likely scenario, but apparently technically possible. so all in all pretty trip, if true.

so like the aliens we've been searching for have been inside of us all along? pretty cool imo

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Professor Shark posted:

this is true, right? i kind of just assumed based on math and science stuff i thought about

definitely not

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Professor Shark posted:

and if any one of those aliens have created a working simulation of the universe, it is almost certain that you live in it

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dr_rat posted:

Probably just all the undesirables like Telephone Sanitizers and Hairdressers.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Roargasm posted:

and if any one of those aliens have created a working simulation of the universe, it is almost certain that you live in it

How is that almost certain? That doesn't make any sense.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we're all aliens to some other race

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
if aliens do exist they're probably some unintelligent gray goo thing, and we should actulaly be glad they're quadrillions of miles away and not anywhere near here. because we'd just get eaten

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i heard a genesis song the other day about aliens and apparently being an illegal one isn't very run so your stats kinda break my heart, I'm assuming neil degrasse tyson decides which ones are illegal now that coral Sagan is a ghost

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

notZaar posted:

How is that almost certain? That doesn't make any sense.

statistically speaking, provided any civilization rises to the point it can simulate the universe then it is, by virtue of being 'intelligently driven', more likely to operate on principles amenable to life than one driven by blind forces.

it follows that they'd make many iterations of their simulations, and as life arose within those simulations they would follow suit, leading to an explosion of simulated universes multiplying on far shorter timescales than cosmological processes

hence you're more likely to be simulated than real

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
cool. how retarded

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Protagonist posted:

statistically speaking, provided any civilization rises to the point it can simulate the universe then it is, by virtue of being 'intelligently driven', more likely to operate on principles amenable to life than one driven by blind forces.

it follows that they'd make many iterations of their simulations, and as life arose within those simulations they would follow suit, leading to an explosion of simulated universes multiplying on far shorter timescales than cosmological processes

hence you're more likely to be simulated than real
Hmm I disagree, our world works way too smoothly to be a computer game.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

notZaar posted:

Hmm I disagree, our world works way too smoothly to be a computer game.

yeah what bs amiright? i mean if this was all simulated you'd expect there to be boundaries to prevent inordinately large calculations, like a maximum speed limit or a minimum possible unit of distance :rolleye:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Read Asimov's "Extraterrestrial Civilizations"

The specific math it's based on is horribly outmoded, given that it was written 35 years ago and advancement in science since then have greatly altered our perceptions of the universe, however it provides a nice framework for the kind of calculation you need to do to determine the likelihood (and commonness) of life in the universe.

His central thesis that "the number of planets in our galaxy on which a technological civilization is now in being is roughly 530,000" is well-supported given the evidence he had access to, however the sting in the tail is that we'll likely never meet in person, and there's a probability that we'll never even make contact.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If we spent some money on space telescopes there's a good chance we'd spot planets that likely have life. Or we wouldn't, which would be really loving weird too.

However we have have more important things to do, like mediocre fighter jets.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

my dick is alien to me. i look down in my lap and see nothing that i recognize, although physically i know it is the same dick. my balls are fine though.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Protagonist posted:

yeah what bs amiright? i mean if this was all simulated you'd expect there to be boundaries to prevent inordinately large calculations, like a maximum speed limit or a minimum possible unit of distance :rolleye:

Wait now I get it. You're trying to work your way towards arguing that it's okay to marry game girls.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

notZaar posted:

Wait now I get it. You're trying to work your way towards arguing that it's okay to marry game girls.

no actually it's that genocide is okay since noone is real

e; probably

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
u mean nothing exists... whoa

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the logic is so tight... im nowhere

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Statistically speaking I'm dead.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
what does "Existence" mean since reality is always changing... just thought i'd drop a lil thought bomb in this thread cheers

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the speed of light, if u think about it, shows all there is is not not even the speed of lights max speed... im spriteman... im free

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Its possible that aliens genetically engineered bigfoot using human and nephilim dna

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

i wanna thank this universe's developers and programmers for allowing this kush to exist. Thanks, burning this one for y'all

e: :420::420::420::420::2bong:

Matey fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 13, 2015

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the flaming letters in hitchhikers guide was an easter egg some hyperdimensional software dev dropped in 'cus he felt bad about how horrible existence was going to be

he was later caught and fired

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

Yeah Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is a good comic.

But the simulated universe with multiple levels thing doesn't hold up because each simulated universe would place an exponentially larger strain on the universe above. Even accounting for godlike futuristic computer technologies the math doesn't support us being a simulation.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
if I ever met an alien I'd kill him, then sell his body and stuff for science to the highest bidder and be rich and famous as a result. and no court could convict me of murder and property theft since extraterrestrials aren't technically legal persons.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I hope there are sexy aliens.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

if we stick around long enough and get to enough places I bet we will make contact eventually.
big 'if' though.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

But the simulated universe with multiple levels thing doesn't hold up because each simulated universe would place an exponentially larger strain on the universe above. Even accounting for godlike futuristic computer technologies the math doesn't support us being a simulation.

good post but its just a hologram that doesnt exist...who am i... am i even

village catamite
Apr 7, 2009
probabilistically*

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Applewhite posted:

This is weird 'cus I was just looking up the fourier xform joke for my prof but didn't remember they also made this joke.

Applewhite posted:

The assumptions could go either way, insomuch as there may be no more 'strain' on the universe simulating a pocket of empty space than the heart of a star or a brain. Anyway they need not nest indefinitely, since a single civilization could lead to the creation of innumerable simulations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Let me just say this: SMBC is most definitely NOT a good webcomic. Not ever since he started trying to be Theoatmeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

it's not cool, and i hope we find a way to kill them

• Locked thread