Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
gently caress yea I hope Obama brings them out on his last day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
what if aliens are kitties?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Lvv1f5Qu4

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
kill the xenos and take their worlds

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
Some numbers are bigger than other numbers

Just one man's (or alien's???) observation

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

kill the xenos and take their worlds

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I'm posting on the alien version of SA

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I hope there are sexy aliens.

Will they have three boobs?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Will they have three boobs?

They'd better.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Elukka posted:

If we spent some money on space telescopes there's a good chance we'd spot planets that likely have life. Or we wouldn't, which would be really loving weird too.

However we have have more important things to do, like mediocre fighter jets.

planets are next to stars which makes them pretty hard to see

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I mean if the difference between a Planck and a light year wasn't so ridiculously vast you might be on to something.

But they're defined by energy entering the system. You need infinite energy to break light speed (if you're not cheating) and any energy is too much to measure smaller than a Planck.

What I'm saying is it's really rude to put humanity in a virtual world and not give is gamesharks

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

What I'm saying is it's really rude to put humanity in a virtual world and not give is gamesharks

somewhere there's a team of scientists trying to work out how to break the FTL barrier and this whole loving thing is just a hyper advanced super computer's way of reaching an answer; simulate an advanced civilization and let them figure it out for you

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zLx_JtcQVI

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Moridin920 posted:

somewhere there's a team of scientists trying to work out how to break the FTL barrier and this whole loving thing is just a hyper advanced super computer's way of reaching an answer; simulate an advanced civilization and let them figure it out for you

Now we're talking my (programming) language

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also are we also simulated or just living in a prison

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
send your findings to nasa

this is a scientist

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Also are we also simulated or just living in a prison

You are currently trapped inside a hollow bone prison, with two holes that you can see out of.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
reality is a bunch of holograms, we are 9th dimensional beings, hail xenu

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Orkin Mang posted:

matter is the only true identity of stuff

this guy is a literal numbskull

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

VendaGoat posted:

You are currently trapped inside a hollow bone prison, with two holes that you can see out of.

It's more like being locked around a bone prison, rather than inside. We're not insects.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

notZaar posted:

It's more like being locked around a bone prison, rather than inside. We're not insects.

you're not your body DUMBASSSS

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!

:liara:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
no mention of the fermi paradox by page 2 wtf is wrong with you guys

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Necc0 posted:

chance of aliens exist is a+b+c+D+e+f+g but we dont se aliens??? what is wrong with maths

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Necc0 posted:

it was they just didn't name it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Protagonist posted:

you're not your body DUMBASSSS

Yes I am. The notion of the individual as a mass of neurons lumped together and isolated in the skull is ridiculous and simplistic.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

notZaar posted:

Yes I am. The notion of the individual as a mass of neurons lumped together and isolated in the skull is ridiculous and simplistic.

nope missed it again, you are actually a cyclic collection of neuron excitation playing out on the neuronal substrate

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Protagonist posted:

nope missed it again, you are actually a cyclic collection of neuron excitation playing out on the neuronal substrate

yeah there's all the chakras too

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i hope we get some big rear end telescope and peep on some alien's having sex

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im gay alien

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The Protagonist posted:

No I disagree.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
are they legal or illegal aliens

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

notZaar posted:

No I disagree.

And furthermore
:goonsay:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jluTLx9Kuc

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

notZaar posted:

No I disagree.

well how does it feel to be really wrong?

tell me, do you feel that you would continue to be you, if all brain activity stopped? :chord:

Nagato posted:

chance of aliens exist is a+b+c+D+e+f+g but we dont se aliens??? what is wrong with maths

the neat thing about the drake eqn is that since it's a series of huge and compounding assumptions then, yeah, you can get like a million civilizations per galaxy, but you can also get ~1... and hey, we already know of 1!

echopraxia
May 22, 2015
Human technical civilization is an anomaly stitched together by chance access to resources, an opportune physiology/biochemistry and the fragile illusory veneer of the separation between individuals and the external world. Everyone else out there in the dark is intelligent, non-technical and not self aware. The voice of God is whale farts.

Go outside and lay down in the woods until a predator eats you. It'll have the same end result on the universe as you living a fulfilling life.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Eventually we'll develop warp drives and be able to send billions of probes into the cold void of space to search for life and look for black holes and poo poo.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

dog buttz posted:

Eventually we'll develop warp drives and be able to send billions of probes into the cold void of space to search for life and look for black holes and poo poo.

Spoiler: we aren't gonna find poo poo

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
not if they look for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

notZaar posted:

Skeleton prison

Skeleton jelly

Also chakras are loving dumb poo poo peddled by new age hucksters for retards to buy along with a horoscope reading

• Locked thread