Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also if the gay lifeguards make the mistake of saving you they're totally gonna turn the mouth to mouth resuscitation into a passionate gay makeout with tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spindle posted:

It's a fw:fw:fw: tactic. You're supposed to phrase it as "afraid they will discriminate against Christians", because they're trying to link it to the confederate flag. Petty misdirected revenge is the best.
Yeah immediately after this Confederate flag issue blew up, a bunch of hate groups tried to paint the Rainbow flag in the same way, and it was so obvious and dumb.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:kimchi:

So happy to see our plan to shake the very foundations of human social order is working.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

What is this poo poo? It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Professor Bandit Face.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

quote:

And they might have a point, as lifeguard flags are used to cue people in to weather conditions. So unless there are mermen swimming near shore, the new rule sounds solid.
And if hunky gay mermen start frequenting that shore, I want to be there to watch. :allears:

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Centripetal Horse posted:

What is this poo poo? It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Professor Bandit Face.

Listen, sometimes a raccoon just wants to put down his rockets and be a good wife, you know?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

What's next, humans marrying multiple raccoons?!

VitalSigns posted:

No face, no chat no CPR. Fem only, no whites just a preference
goddammit I laughed out loud at this

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If a raccoon has enough awareness to squee over a marriage proposal, I'd say it's probably earned it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 13, 2015

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If a raccoon has enough awareness to squee over a marriage proposal, I'd say it's probably earned it.

You give it anything shiny pretty sure it'll make that expression

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
http://m.thesalemnewsonline.com/mobile/news/local_news/article_e2b4e196-2994-11e5-813b-739421b68bb6.html

Apparently Dent County, Missouri will be flying flags lower than half-staff to "mourn" marriage equality.

Sometimes I hate living in this state...

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

jivjov posted:

http://m.thesalemnewsonline.com/mobile/news/local_news/article_e2b4e196-2994-11e5-813b-739421b68bb6.html

Apparently Dent County, Missouri will be flying flags lower than half-staff to "mourn" marriage equality.

Jesus christ

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

jivjov posted:

Ehhhh, let's just pretend they're honoring Satoru Iwata.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

jivjov posted:

For a point of comparison, horrific mass shootings get like 5 days max of half-staff. National or state heroes get one day.
Lower-than half staff for this length is pretty loving insulting(which is the point exactly, but not just to the group they intend to denigrate through their symbolism).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

jivjov posted:

For a loving year? :psyduck:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Motto posted:

They're mad.

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!
Eh. They're using the mourning of marriage as a pretense. Really Larry the County Flag Raiser has been getting terrible arthritis in his shoulders and they thought this would make it easier on him. Of course, for the sake of HIPPA they had to make up an excuse.

That insulted many constituents.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I hope putting them that low makes it so someone with a good ladder can come by and steal them all.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Motto posted:

The most tragic thing about this--as much humor as it's allowing me to enjoy--is that if these fuckers just put it out of their head for like a week, they'd be over it. Unfortunately, fear and rabble-rousing make such a good business for the religious right that they're opiating themselves with it.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Motto posted:

I wonder how long they had the flag at half-mast for 9/11.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Deuce posted:

I wonder how long they had the flag at half-mast for 9/11.

The gays have tricked us into courting a million 9/11's worth of God's wrath

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Motto posted:

No, just a normal year.

:v:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Motto posted:

Yeah, forgot to mention that bit in my post...but yes, two men or two women getting married is over 50 times as horrific than a mass shooting.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
And 12 times worse than the death of Saint Reagan.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

I hope putting them that low makes it so someone with a good ladder can come by and steal them all.

This was my first thought, but it would be so much cooler just to hoist them back up again. Or maybe stick the ol' rainbow stripes way up at the top.

E: It'd probably be even more fun to just sue their asses - it shouldn't be too hard to show that the half-mast flight is a religious or political display, neither of which should be appropriate for a courthouse. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that though!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 14, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Clarification on the Dent County thing; it's just on the 26th of each month, not for a year solid.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

jivjov posted:

jivjov posted:

Clarification on the Dent County thing; it's just on the 26th of each month, not for a year solid.

I don't see how anyone can take this seriously. It's so petty, juvenile, and ineffectual, that it's hilarious. These are adults having an infantile tantrum that nobody will notice. Just like a toddler kicking and screaming on the floor in a department store, these children will tire of their pitiable little protest and give up halfway through, when no one so much as bothers to look their way. Also like some brat having a meltdown in public, the rest of us will just figure those people had lovely parents, or else they wouldn't have turned out that way.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Well, at least as far as protests go, this one doesn't prevent people from getting their marriage licenses. I'll give them that small shred of credit.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

I don't see how anyone can take this seriously. It's so petty, juvenile, and ineffectual, that it's hilarious. These are adults having an infantile tantrum

I'll let them clarify and drive home that, yes, that was exactly their intent the whole time.

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/07/missouri-county-to-lower-flags-below-half-staff-for-yearlong-mourning-of-same-sex-marriage/

posted:

Skiles also commented on why the commission voted to fly the flags “just below half staff” instead of at half staff:

“I want to reserve that position (half-staff) for those who deserve that honor,” he said. But to grieve the decision that allows same-sex couples to marry, he explained, “I wanted to lower the flags to a level below that.”

Also, it's no longer happening since the bigots are getting unpleasant media attention:

posted:

the commission would hold a special session this week to rescind the order “out of respect for veterans and those currently serving in the military.”

Presumably that respect doesn't extend to gay or lesbians in active service or veterans.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Stickman posted:

This was my first thought, but it would be so much cooler just to hoist them back up again. Or maybe stick the ol' rainbow stripes way up at the top.

E: It'd probably be even more fun to just sue their asses - it shouldn't be too hard to show that the half-mast flight is a religious or political display, neither of which should be appropriate for a courthouse. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that though!

They simply don't have the authority to do so. The President has the authority, and the Governor has limited authority, but County Commissioners don't.

36 USC 175 posted:

(m) ... By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff....

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Do It Once Right posted:

I'll let them clarify and drive home that, yes, that was exactly their intent the whole time.

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/07/missouri-county-to-lower-flags-below-half-staff-for-yearlong-mourning-of-same-sex-marriage/

Also, it's no longer happening since the bigots are getting unpleasant media attention:

Presumably that respect doesn't extend to gay or lesbians in active service or veterans.

This is exactly what you do in these situations. Point out the backwards hicks and let the backlash take care of the rest.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
When are people going to get it through their heads that religious beliefs don't dictate law? Sure, being gay is an abomination before God. That has ZERO bearing on federal/state/local legislature.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

jivjov posted:

When are people going to get it through their heads that religious beliefs don't dictate law? Sure, being gay is an abomination before God. That has ZERO bearing on federal/state/local legislature.

Underlying issue with monotheism. Only one deity, his law is above all others.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

jivjov posted:

Because this is A CHRISTIAN NATION!!!! :bahgawd:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thump! posted:

Because this is A CHRISTIAN NATION!!!! :bahgawd:

I just don't understand why a 5 minute discussion about what actually is and isn't legal in this country doesn't shut that argument right down. I mean, sure, if you want to stick to your guns and claim "the bible dictates law"...why aren't you immediately kicked out of office for a gross misunderstanding of how america works?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jivjov posted:

I just don't understand why a 5 minute discussion about what actually is and isn't legal in this country doesn't shut that argument right down. I mean, sure, if you want to stick to your guns and claim "the bible dictates law"...why aren't you immediately kicked out of office for a gross misunderstanding of how america works?

Because their voters share that gross misunderstanding of how America works and will boot them out of office if they disagree?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

jivjov posted:

I just don't understand why a 5 minute discussion about what actually is and isn't legal in this country doesn't shut that argument right down.

You're not going to reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because if you boot them out of office for being Good Christians then you're only confirming the satanist infiltration of America.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
We are really goddamn serious about our flag, aren't we.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Because if you boot them out of office for being Good Christians then you're only confirming the satanist infiltration of America.

...exactly?

I mean...why isn't there a contingent in place for the President or Congress or whoever to just go "You are doing your job improperly, putting a religious text before the Constitution, you're fired." There's the potential for abuse; people getting booted for doing things that those in charge disagree with...but there has to be a better system than just letting people in governmental offices poo poo all over human rights.

• Locked thread