Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Feenix posted:

We Speak Chinese is a great track.

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

This loving music is terrible. It's like a worst-of list of A State Of Trance before the current decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I think it works well for the game.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people?

This loving music is terrible. It's like a worst-of list of A State Of Trance before the current decade.

Playing w/ the soundtrack rockin all the time has made the game much more enjoyable.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Libertine posted:

I straight up cannot get match-made into a game that doesn't have AI players scoring hat-tracks. Just played four straight matches and every single one of them was decided by AI players. I would gladly wait longer for match-making and take pauses in between guys dropping/quitting to re-fill to not have any AI players at all. Going to play something else for awhile until some of my buddies come on or something to queue up with a larger team.

play ranked?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

queeb posted:

play ranked?

Or 1v1. If you 1v1 it doesn't take too long to skill up enough where you can mostly run circles around the matchmade AIs. But yes, I agree that the AIs are at a level that most of the community's not at yet, and really really sucks for new players.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Played a lot of fun 3v3 and 4v4 with PSN dudes today. Played probably from 630-10 and the time just flew by. Game is fun.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

queeb posted:

play ranked?

I can't get into a ranked game at all on Oceania servers queue just times out, and my ping is garbage for NA/Europe.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
it is amazing to me how many people don't follow the basic "if you are farthest back, you take goalie position for the face off" rule

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

morallyobjected posted:

it is amazing to me how many people don't follow the basic "if you are farthest back, you take goalie position for the face off" rule

I just start jumping so I can intercept it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

matchmaking giving anyone else lopsided ranked matches? 1v2 is such a waste of time the lone guy always drops

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The concept of actively defending your goal is so alien to me that I did not even consider it until I read about it in this thread.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I know to do that but sometimes I get players who don't actually go for the ball and I'm awful at goaltending, so I have to hope I at least disrupt the opponents free shot because I'm not stopping it otherwise

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Let's rocket some leagues! I'm on now, psn harton84.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Somberbrero posted:

The concept of actively defending your goal is so alien to me that I did not even consider it until I read about it in this thread.

I don't like the concept unless it's in a 4v4 or something. Putting someone in the goal in a 3v3 for the whole match seems like a waste, I like a rotation system better and that goalie can also roam the backline waiting for an opportunistic strike. Obviously if the ball looks like it'll be coming back again then planting someone in the goal is good, but a dedicated goalie is going to be bored a lot. This kind of works better with communication though.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
You definitely need enough communication to know when the goalie has come out that someone else needs to get ready to cover. It's so easy to score on an empty goal and backtracking to block a shot takes a ton of practice.

The goalie often is in the best position to score on a centered ball but the passer should probably double back quickly.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

No dedicated goalie, but always have someone far enough back who's able to intercept any possible shots from the opposing team. Words of wisdom from Kronovi.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwtiOyRYHzY

Nothing crazy but I'm getting better at connecting while flying.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Feenix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwtiOyRYHzY

Nothing crazy but I'm getting better at connecting while flying.

Aaaa that camera angle!! You monster!!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

a cop posted:

Aaaa that camera angle!! You monster!!

Yea sorry I had just discovered what you could do with the replay editor...

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
If you're just starting out with this game I recommend forcing yourself through the 10 rounds of advanced aerial training. I feel like Caronaldo now.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Knightmare posted:

I don't like the concept unless it's in a 4v4 or something. Putting someone in the goal in a 3v3 for the whole match seems like a waste, I like a rotation system better and that goalie can also roam the backline waiting for an opportunistic strike. Obviously if the ball looks like it'll be coming back again then planting someone in the goal is good, but a dedicated goalie is going to be bored a lot. This kind of works better with communication though.

OP didnt say that tho, and they're right that the furthest person back needs to get into goal for the kick off

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just picked this up an hour ago. No games has any business being this loving fun. :stare:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

If you're just starting out with this game I recommend forcing yourself through the 10 rounds of advanced aerial training. I feel like Caronaldo now.

learning aerial really is the key to becoming good at this game, and boy does it take a lot of practice. I can consistently get 80-100% in the basic training now but I'm still hopeless at the mid-level one, judging moving shots is really hard.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I always get a kick out of cars trying to pull off bicycle kicks but not getting the flip right and just landing on their roofs and the ball moving a few feet.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

How are people doing with a controller? I find that doing rolls while boosting is really hard, have people rebound the keys or anything? Since you need to hold slide to roll midair.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I put boost onto RB instead of B (using a 360 controller on PC), I think it's much better that way.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah I rebound roll to L1, it's way more convenient.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
Holy crap this clutch play on both ends felt great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMfKk9grsXQ

(Also note the score and the timer)

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Follow That Fish! posted:

Holy crap this clutch play on both ends felt great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMfKk9grsXQ

(Also note the score and the timer)
Nice clutch!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I love playing against guys who say nothing but "no skill just luck" and then proceeding to score 600+ points on them 3 games in a row. My aerial game is starting to get much better and it's helping making saves that much better. You goons shouldn't be afraid to throw invites out to peeps, I'll likely start doing the same when I hop on tonight.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Lblitzer posted:

I love playing against guys who say nothing but "no skill just luck" and then proceeding to score 600+ points on them 3 games in a row. My aerial game is starting to get much better and it's helping making saves that much better. You goons shouldn't be afraid to throw invites out to peeps, I'll likely start doing the same when I hop on tonight.

I had a guy who opened the match by spamming "eat my 8========D" and I scored two long distance goals on him in a row immediately.

incidentally, if anyone wants to play, I'll be on for a couple hours probably (PSN: StainedGlass4)

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

kemikalkadet posted:

halfway through a game i started getting weird graphical artifacts on the ball like a badly rigged 3d model, they got bigger and bigger until they completely filled my screen then the game crashed. Now whenever I load up the game it gobbles up memory and my computer hardlocks in about 30 seconds. verify game files didn't help either.

well this is interesting.. turns out Rocket League will run on your integrated graphics by default if you're on a laptop with an nvidia card. I wondered why the game only ran passably at low graphics settings when I can run GTA5 on high. Found this guide on the community hub and now I'm running maxed graphics at a stable 40 FPS.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=479625273

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
I played this for the first time last night and oh god why do I have to be stuck at work all week instead of playing this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I made my very first aerial takeoff and save last night and I felt like God had touched me, it was so good. I'm gonna have to figure my way 'round the replay editor now though.

i was supposed to be on a metroidvania bender, I don't have time for this :unsmith:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Can't wait until I get home so I can download and play this!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Can I bring a guest online in splitscreen, or do they need their own PS Plus account?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

wa27 posted:

Can I bring a guest online in splitscreen, or do they need their own PS Plus account?

I think they need their own account, but not PS+ account.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

KingShibby posted:

Can't wait until I get home so I can download and play this!

Don't do it. It's all you're going to want to do... WHY IS THIS GAME SO AWESOME

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

wa27 posted:

It won't work if you use the Guest login but it works fine if they make their own (free) PSN account. I'm pretty sure that's been the case in every PS4 game I've played, which is nice -- as long as the primary account has PS+ any other users on the PS4 get to play online/play free PS+ games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This game is so amazing and it absolutely breaks my balls that they can't figure out their server/matchmaking issues. You either can't matchmake or when you do half the other team leaves after the first goal with no repercussions. I was in a 3v3 that was really great for the first minute, we score, two people leave on the other team, the third guy tries to gut it out then leaves after another few goals. Very next game two of my teammates leave in the first 30 seconds after a long shot goal. This is at like rank 900ish too where players are at least a little bit competent.