Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

So what you're actually saying is that we shouldn't respect soldiers at all because they're basically a bunch of uselss drunken morons and that most of them never actually do anything?

yeah and when they do something it's nothing good anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

yeah and when they do something it's nothing good anyway

What about humanitarian aid?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

What about humanitarian aid?

most of which gets stolen and appropriated by local warlords but yeah alright they get some points for that

although you could say they do it to cover their true shittiness in the same way major corporations have HR departments

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

FreudianSlippers posted:

So what you're actually saying is that we shouldn't respect soldiers at all because they're basically a bunch of uselss drunken morons and that most of them never actually do anything?

They fight for your freedom.

Moridin920 posted:

most of which gets stolen and appropriated by local warlords but yeah alright they get some points for that

Still a better track record than the Red Cross.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

although you could say they do it to cover their true shittiness in the same way major corporations have HR departments

A starving child that just received food from a US soldier: "I can't accept this food in good conscience, knowing it is nothing better than a disingenuous attempt to distract the American public from the cruel reality of your primary mission, which is to kill anyone who threatens your nation's hegemonic interests. Please take it back and leave our country in peace."

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Applewhite posted:

The valor being stolen is the fraudulent exploitation of the public perception that veterans are heroes and deserve special treatment.
Whether or not you believe that valor exists or whether it even objectively does exist is immaterial because it's still fraud and thus wrong.

remember when you were funny lol

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Applewhite posted:

A starving child that just received food from a US soldier: "I can't accept this food in good conscience, knowing it is nothing better than a disingenuous attempt to distract the American public from the cruel reality of your primary mission, which is to kill anyone who threatens your nation's hegemonic interests. Please take it back and leave our country in peace."

its weird how that child just popped out of another dimension fully formed but starving. oh well here have a snickers kiddo *steps over parents bodies*

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tezzor posted:

remember when you were funny lol

No.
And what I have to tell jokes all the time now? I'm not your clown, Trezzor.

Tezzor posted:

its weird how that child just popped out of another dimension fully formed but starving. oh well here have a snickers kiddo *steps over parents bodies*

Why would a child that popped out of another dimension, fully formed and starving have dead parents in this dimension?
Caught in your own logical contradiction.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Applewhite posted:

No.
And what I have to tell jokes all the time now? I'm not your clown, Trezzor.

Why would a child that popped out of another dimension, fully formed and starving have dead parents in this dimension?
Caught in your own logical contradiction.

way to miss the point goodsir. nuke your brain with aids. my 1s

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tezzor posted:

way to miss the point goodsir. nuke your brain with aids. my 1s

Yeah yeah. Your point is that, somehow, US soldiers are responsible for all the world's orphans and that every single person we help is also somehow our victim.
I guess the Navy causes all those hurricanes just so it can look good building sandbag dams and delivering bottled water, too?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Applewhite posted:

Yeah yeah. Your point is that, somehow, US soldiers are responsible for all the world's orphans and that every single person we help is also somehow our victim.
I guess the Navy causes all those hurricanes just so it can look good building sandbag dams and delivering bottled water, too?

it's cool when people try to defend the dignity of the largest killing machine in the history of man because for PR it incidentally and marginally helps some people, many of whom it victimized a few decades prior. theological question: in Hell, how many sandbags must you lay and how many water bottles do you think the devil makes you distribute as punishment for just one murder?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tezzor posted:

it's cool when people try to defend the dignity of the largest killing machine in the history of man

That seems unlikely. I think you just made that up and it's not true.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tezzor posted:

it's cool when people try to defend the dignity of the largest killing machine in the history of man because for PR it incidentally helps some of the people it victimized a few decades prior. theological question: in Hell, how many sandbags must you lay and how many water bottles do you think the devil makes you distribute as punishment for just one murder?

Trick question: punishments in Hell are eternal and thus not assigned on a per-crime basis.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

boom boom boom posted:

That seems unlikely. I think you just made that up and it's not true.

i know! it seems implausible, but they do it!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I bet the Mongols killed way more people than the US military has.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

I was thinking that exact thing.
I bet the US isn't even in the top ten.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

boom boom boom posted:

Stupid comparison. Let's talk recent times.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i didnt say they killed the most people. i said they built the largest mechanism for killing, but that's cool because sometimes amongst the torrential ceaseless vomit of bombs and flotsam from Moloch a few water bottles land roughly near some thirsty people

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Applewhite posted:

The valor being stolen is the fraudulent exploitation of the public perception that veterans are heroes and deserve special treatment.
Whether or not you believe that valor exists or whether it even objectively does exist is immaterial because it's still fraud and thus wrong.

good point we should nail actual army guys on stolen valor for going out and bumming free meals in their cammies too

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Tezzor posted:

i didnt say they killed the most people. i said they built the largest mechanism for killing, but that's cool because sometimes amongst the torrential ceaseless vomit of bombs and flotsam from Moloch a few water bottles land roughly near some thirsty people

Be fair, they are delivered directly to the thirsty people by hand a lot of the time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

good point we should nail actual army guys on stolen valor for going out and bumming free meals in their cammies too

Probably a lot of them, yeah.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

FreudianSlippers posted:

Lol the only people i knew in the military who died were killed in motorcycle accidents. iirc one of the dudes had been in combat before that too

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

dougdrums posted:

Lol the only people i knew in the military who died were killed in motorcycle accidents.

I know one who fell out of a guard tower.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Umm if we're including CIA initiated coups and the fallout following htem, along with countries the US has acted as a patron of while they committed atrocities, the US has easily passed the Mongols. The US has likely passed the Mongols even without those, due to the Vietnam War, the bombing campaign in Cambodia, Korean War, and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, if including the fallout of those countries due to the destabilization of their society and country. These numbers are again vastly increased if one includes the US corporations pursuing their interest as an extension of US hegemony in the international stage.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Tezzor posted:

It's not designed purely for killing. That title probably belongs to the holocaust, still.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sugar free jazz posted:

Umm if we're including CIA initiated coups and the fallout following htem, along with countries the US has acted as a patron of while they committed atrocities, the US has easily passed the Mongols. The US has likely passed the Mongols even without those, due to the Vietnam War, the bombing campaign in Cambodia, Korean War, and the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, if including the fallout of those countries due to the destabilization of their society and country. These numbers are again vastly increased if one includes the US corporations pursuing their interest as an extension of US hegemony in the international stage.

well yeah with bomber planes and total global hegemony it'd be pretty fucken shameful if we couldn't even keep up with some horse-riding motherfuckers from buttholestan

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

sugar free jazz posted:

According to the wikipedia, Vietnam War:1,313,000. Cambodia bombings: 40,000–150,000, Korean War: 3,045,709-3,428,708. Afghnaistan: over 28,000. Iraq: around 500,000

So, no.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
You guys are underestimating how many people the Mongols killed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

You guys are underestimating how many people the Mongols killed.

(Hint: it was basically every single person in asia who was not a Mongol)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

i wonder if the mongols punishment for stolen valor was

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

LeoMarr posted:

Trial by combat.
You either die a valorous death, or you've earned some valor by winning.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lolololol Mongols comparison

some say half of Europe can trace their lineage to John F Kennedy. They all have the Irish smile

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

LeoMarr posted:

They would yell at you in a shopping mall

It's just one of those things that's remarkably consistent across cultures.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

boom boom boom posted:

They would yell at you in a chopping mall

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

dougdrums posted:

Lol the only people i knew in the military who died were killed in motorcycle accidents. iirc one of the dudes had been in combat before that too

Motorcycle DUIs are pretty much the largest cause of death on active duty Sailors since WW2

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

According to the wikipedia, Vietnam War:1,313,000. Cambodia bombings: 40,000–150,000, Korean War: 3,045,709-3,428,708. Afghnaistan: over 28,000. Iraq: around 500,000

So, no.

Nice wikipedia you loving moron

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Applewhite posted:

(Hint: it was basically every single person in asia who was not a Mongol)

if you surrendered they would be pretty chill towards you. plus i seriously doubt some dudes running around on horseback 500 years ago were nearly as efficient at killing as we are rite now

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Hmm yes gonna just use numbers from wikipedia lets see how many people the mongols killed according to Matthew White, an "independent scholar" and "atrocitologist" because that's not fuckin retarded

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

babypolis posted:

if you surrendered they would be pretty chill towards you. plus i seriously doubt some dudes running around on horseback 500 years ago were nearly as efficient at killing as we are rite now

There's a lot fewer "kill everyone in that city" type missions nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im pretty sure the us wins because of the vast extense and lenght of the current hegemony, plus the brutal efficiency of modern killing methods

boom boom boom posted:

There's a lot fewer "kill everyone in that city" type missions nowadays.

on the other hand there is way more people living in densesely populated areas these days as opposed to all over the loving place such that such an act is not as extensive as it seems

• Locked thread