Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Post some of your favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I always feel like the guy calling them out in like 90% those videos is a bigger douche than the guy pretending to be GI Joe for a free dessert at Applebees

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Booblord Zagats posted:

I always feel like the guy calling them out in like 90% those videos is a bigger douche than the guy pretending to be GI Joe for a free dessert at Applebees

My service meant something damnit!

Bowlcutbarricade
Dec 27, 2014

I'm too much of a pussy to watch videos like this because it gives me third person anxiety

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tricky D posted:

My service meant something damnit!

Mine didn't. Except free college and spending a bunch of weekends in San Diego, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara and LA

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

dont like 75% of vets flunk out of free college lol

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Mine didn't. Except free college and spending a bunch of weekends in San Diego, Palm Springs, Santa Barbara and LA

Don't do that! Don't belittle your service! You probably got some consumer electronics out of it too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Booblord Zagats posted:

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
It's fun to embarrass your horribly disfigured friend, with scars from a horrific car accident, by saying he was wounded in Iraq as a way to get girls numbers for his ugly mug.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:yikes:

Pro-click though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Booblord Zagats posted:

I dont know, if I saw my friends get killed in some dumb loving war and ran into some wannabe military fattie cosplaying and trying to get free discounts and poo poo despite not being able to climb a set of fuckin stairs without toppling over and dying, I'd be pretty loving pissed too

military worship is stupid but it's easy to see why some people get really loving angry over people pulling that poo poo

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Booblord Zagats posted:

A douche would never wear a t-shirt like this. Or this.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The fact that we have to call it "stolen valor" instead of just fraud is pathetic as hell.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

don't we already have a cosplay thread :rolleyes:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Booblord Zagats posted:

thats pretty good, thats like 20-30k and Santa Barbara and San Diego own. that reminds me, I need to take another vacation down to SB->SD. Last time I stayed on coronado island which wasnt bad but super far from anything.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
taking the golden corral cornbread right out of veterans' mouths

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shout out to all the cucked troops so far away from home

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Obligatory

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
These videos are the worst because catching some jerk pretending to be in the military is an instant ticket to youtube high-horse town and now every shitlord ex E-4 in the loving universe is super interested if I wear an old PT shirt to go to Home Depot or wherever. The first time it happened like a month ago I just assumed it was the friendly "Where'd you serve" rear end-sniff of former military bros but last weekend this dude had his phone out as he walked up to me. Pretty sure that the old lovely jeans are a dead giveaway that I'm not pretending to be in the Army anymore genius.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tricky D posted:

The fact that we have to call it "stolen valor" instead of just fraud is pathetic as hell.
It's not really fraud without material gain, though.

I mean maybe getting free appetizers or whatever would sort of count, but mostly people seem to do it for more abstract benefit, to which fraud would not apply.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N

Booblord Zagats posted:

I imagine the guy calling out fake veterans has probably confronted many true veterans in his quest to find one fraud. It's like when Fox News goes out and talks to like 100 people on welfare, and finally finds one that is fraudulent and they jump all over that one guy like, "See, he's totally gaming the system!"

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
As a vet I never really cared. I mean if someone wants to play dress up and look dumb wearing a uniform in public (cause ya do) then all the power to them. Heck the construction workers on our post often wore like 3/4ths of a uniform because they're cheap as poo poo, durable, and practical for that kind of work. When did camouflage suddenly become a sacred piece of clothing?

Also I've always wondered - for every 1 video where someone successfully accuses someone of stolen valor, is there 10 where someone sees a guy in uniform and goes and makes a total rear end of themselves because the person is legit?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Strudel Man posted:

It's not really fraud without material gain, though.

I mean maybe getting free appetizers or whatever would sort of count, but mostly people seem to do it for more abstract benefit, to which fraud would not apply.

I was going with the common definition and not necessarily the legal one. Impostor works too.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
why did marines stop fighting dragons? the fuckin lizards are rampaging over our volcanoes like they own the place and our president 'Obama' does nothing about it? this would never have happened under Mitch Romney.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

is there an expectation that the person has to have seen combat? "where did you serve" seems to imply that. can you just say "yeah i farted around in ft. meade for a few years then got out"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Pumroy posted:

is there an expectation that the person has to have seen combat? "where did you serve" seems to imply that. can you just say "yeah i farted around in ft. meade for a few years then got out"

Sure. But if that's the case the vet isn't going to care too much. It's only if you say poo poo like "Yea I was in elite special forces, Spec-ops edition, I'm a General." The video is a pretty good example since his uniform was all hosed up, obviously didn't know any of the regulations, had three pins which you could only get from 3 different campaigns etc and the dude claimed to be an "army ranger."

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Yeah, and it's only legit if you saw more combat than the guy confronting you.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Powercrazy posted:

Sure. But if that's the case the vet isn't going to care too much. It's only if you say poo poo like "Yea I was in elite special forces, Spec-ops edition, I'm a General." The video is a pretty good example since his uniform was all hosed up, obviously didn't know any of the regulations, had three pins which you could only get from 3 different campaigns etc and the dude claimed to be an "army ranger."

there was one of a fat kid working at a gamestop in a mall who actually invented new imaginary sniper positions that he had ranked up to

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xaris posted:

thats pretty good, thats like 20-30k and Santa Barbara and San Diego own. that reminds me, I need to take another vacation down to SB->SD. Last time I stayed on coronado island which wasnt bad but super far from anything.

gently caress that bridge traffic, dude. Just stay near a trolley stop, those go everywhere you want to go downtown but close enough to the I-8 so you can drive to La Jolla and go to the beach.

Awesome Welles posted:

I dont know, if I saw my friends get killed in some dumb loving war and ran into some wannabe military fattie cosplaying and trying to get free discounts and poo poo despite not being able to climb a set of fuckin stairs without toppling over and dying, I'd be pretty loving pissed too

military worship is stupid but it's easy to see why some people get really loving angry over people pulling that poo poo

Fattest people I've seen in uniform, and thats counting airsofters, youtube stolen valor dudes and IRL, have all been Active Duty military (mostly Army chicks). Something like 95% of the military will never see combat, the 5% that has normally have better poo poo to attend to than worrying about so fat kid trying to score a bit of chubby girl trim with a poorly sewn on nametape and a dumb story about being some manner of Rambo. That said, I've met like 7 guys who claimed to be SEALs while going out drinking, only one of them actually was, you could tell by the fact he spent more time bitching about how terrible being in the Navy is.

Booblord Zagats fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 8, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Booblord Zagats posted:

gently caress that bridge traffic, dude. Just stay near a trolley stop, those go everywhere you want to go downtown but close enough to the I-8 so you can drive to La Jolla and go to the beach.

I dont remember 75 being that bad, but I was mostly leaving early and coming back late. One thing that sucked is there was like nothing to loving eat there on a sunday.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
Real soldier swear to protect the Constitution, that means freedom of speech. Freedom of speech includes me claiming I'm a SEAL to gently caress chicks. Deal with it, nerds. :dukedog:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Regulations regarding continued wear of a uniform vary by service. In the Army:
  • a veteran can wear his or her dress uniform uniform to ceremonies, weddings, inaugurals, funerals parades, on holidays, etc if they served honorably during a declared or undeclared war. (You don't have to actually see combat, or even be in a combat theater. So my honorable service guarding the beaches of Italy during Gulf War 2 is good enough.)
  • a retiree can do all of that and wear the workout clothes
  • a medal of honor recipient can wear whatever the gently caress he or she wants whenever they aren't committing crimes, running for office, attending Klan rallies or calling for the overthrow of the government.

"Where where you?" like "What was your MOS?" are pretty innocuous questions that also function as Shibboleths depending on the response (:v: "I was a special Force Recon Seal!"). I'll proudly cop to my inexplicable and tremendously lucky stint as a REMF when asked and any poo poo I've gotten for that is appropriate poo poo that I would expect from another soldier.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I think MOH recipients should be allowed to commit one felony, that isn't treason.

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's

VendaGoat posted:

I think MOH recipients should be allowed to commit one felony, that isn't treason.

aren't most of them committing suicide these days, or is that a misdemeanor

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Will I get free poo poo if I dress up as Destro?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Rando posted:

Will I get free poo poo if I dress up as Destro?

Yes* if you wear it to the bank and tell them you want money.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Military worship is retarded and if girls are more likely to sleep with a guy just because they think he's military then they are retarded too. If you fake being a troop/veteran for free stuff/poon then I'm happy for you, rock on brother.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i'm the guy that gives a standing ovation when they truck out some fat air force mechanic at the ballgame in the 6th inning to thank him for his service

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Chomp8645 posted:

if girls are more likely to sleep with a guy just because they think he's military then they are retarded too.

that's ok, and doesn't matter though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

lol when he screams STOLEN VALOR! STOLEN VALOR! and that nice lady pleads with him to stop.

• Locked thread