Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Lord of Pie posted:

Larry the Cable Guy is from Nebraska, the beating heart of the South

this is actually true though, having been once to Nebraska

I will only return under the darkest of circumstance and cruelest of compulsions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Confederate flag people are sort of like the guys who collect Nazi war memorabilia, in that it's either a nerdy eccentric who swears up and down that he hates the guys but is just really suspiciously fascinated by that time period, or by a racist

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
there's a large confederate flag flying in the parking lot of some poo poo hole close to where i love

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Darth123123 posted:

Why do idiots c/p this poo poo? You look like a moron that everyone nods and moves away from at a bar.

Not in victory country AKA the fuckin' Union you offay ditch pig!

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I think I see more of the don't tread on me flags than the standard rebel flags, because the dukes of hazzard flag isn't loving nutso enough for the places I drive by.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Snark, nobody is seriously talking about outlawing the Confederate flag. We're just shaming the poo poo out of people who choose to fly it, wear it, put it on their tchotckes, etc. The First Amendment allows us to do that, just as it allows us to display different kinds of flags. Remember, the Amendment only protects us from government censorship - not from the criticism of our fellow citizens. Private citizens can keep their flag stuff, they just have to accept that some people will criticize them for it. Public and private museums can still incorporate the Confederate flag in their displays, too! About the only organizations that are instituting blanket bans are companies like Apple, which deleted all the apps with Confederate flags in them from the App Store. And a private company has the right to do that, just like a private citizen would! It's not government censorship at all.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

it's really the combination of southern pride and the idea that if something offends you that's your problem

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lord of Pie posted:

Larry the Cable Guy is from Nebraska, the beating heart of the South

we had a kid from nebraska move down here and we called him a yankee.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Pththya-lyi posted:

About the only organizations that are instituting blanket bans are companies like Apple, which deleted all the apps with Confederate flags in them from the App Store. And a private company has the right to do that, just like a private citizen would! It's not government censorship at all.

which is a tricky situation in itself - I heard that a lot of the apps Apple took down were basically analogous to games like Sid Meier's Gettysburg, which you'd be hard pressed to categorize as anything but educational. there's a fine line between that kind of application and celebratory merchandise that's going to be really difficult to tread

it just all goes to show gently caress you assholes for causing this loving nonsense in the first place - if you'd just loving realized "well poo poo maybe racist slavery really isn't a good idea" sooner we wouldn't have these retarded quandaries running circles around us two centuries later

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

argondamn posted:

we had a kid from nebraska move down here and we called him a yankee.

nebraska is the portrait of dorian grey for the rest of the midwest: generally speaking, all the bad things you can say about it are doubly true there but don't apply as much as you'd think elsewhere

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lord of Pie posted:

I think I see more of the don't tread on me flags than the standard rebel flags, because the dukes of hazzard flag isn't loving nutso enough for the places I drive by.

I have a do not trad flag. Flag, so what?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

One of those houses had a beer fridge on the front porch and the guy spray painted TRY IT AGAIN I GOT BULLETS on it

Then the next time I drove by somebody had stolen the fridge

Probably the bullets too, it could have been a fridge for bullets, i dunno

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my God who cares Jesus tatty loving christ

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

dad gay. so what posted:

i think its cool

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Harald posted:

where are those guys who come into every thread about this topic to post about how much they don't care?

oh nevermind here they are

actually if you were up last night you would have seen that was an edited quote that i post from this other butthole whose name doesn't matter

it was a pretty epic burn

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Ramsus posted:

actually if you were up last night you would have seen that was an edited quote that i post from this other butthole whose name doesn't matter

it was a pretty epic burn

Man, your life is a real stone cold bummer.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Darth123123 posted:

Why do idiots c/p this poo poo? You look like a moron that everyone nods and moves away from at a bar.

lol you dumb little fag.

most people ether agree with that article or find it really interesting, or both.

are you the inbred offspring of Gen. Fuckface Forrest or something? You are the only person I've ever seen get pissed about it

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Digiwizzard posted:

Confederate flag people are sort of like the guys who collect Nazi war memorabilia, in that it's either a nerdy eccentric who swears up and down that he hates the guys but is just really suspiciously fascinated by that time period, or by a racist

There's at least one cool rock star (Lemmy) who collects Nazi poo poo. There are only lame morons like Kid Rock who think the confederate flag is cool.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

ashgromnies posted:

It's fairly popular amongst white, blue collar, northern communities.

It's devoid of most of its historical context; it's become a symbol of "redneck pride" rather than implying any sort of allegiance to the confederacy or its specific values (the "heritage not hate" thing popular in the south isn't as common amongst northern flag-bearers).

See Kid Rock's love of the flag. He has lived in Michigan for most of his life, represents himself as a Detroit (a critical port to Canada during the Underground Railroad era) badass in his music, yet he loves the stars and bars.

There's a reason places like Detroit have so many people with "southern pride". Blacks weren't the only ones to move north in the Great Migration. The Dixie Highway and the lure of factory jobs in the North facilitated the move of a lot of Southerners to places in the industrialized North.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Hobohemian posted:

Man, your life is a real stone cold bummer.

wow rude

BigBoss posted:

There's a reason places like Detroit have so many people with "southern pride". Blacks weren't the only ones to move north in the Great Migration. The Dixie Highway and the lure of factory jobs in the North facilitated the move of a lot of Southerners to places in the industrialized North.

they had to get someone to fill those positions after they abolished child slavery in the north

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

I saw some dude in West Virginia on the 4th July with a Confederate Flag with "REDNECK" emblazoned on it hanging from the back of his truck.

I understand that WV is culturally southern in many ways but it wouldn't even exist without defecting from the Confederacy lol

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I saw some dude in West Virginia on the 4th July with a Confederate Flag with "REDNECK" emblazoned on it hanging from the back of his truck.

I understand that WV is culturally southern in many ways but it wouldn't even exist without defecting from the Confederacy lol

Something like 10,000 West Virginians served in the Confederacy (of course, three times that fought for the Union). And 17 delegates from what's now West Virginia voted for the Ordinance of Secession (of course, 30 voted against). I mean, it's easy enough to say West Virginia was pro-Union anti-Confederacy but the real history is that a big enough minority really was pro-Confederacy.

As dumb as the Confederate flag talk usually is, it's cool to talk about the actual history.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

I grew up in semi rural mass and I see this all the time actually

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Omi-Polari posted:

gently caress poo poo kill Yankees burn the South

Manassas more like man asses

I live in Manassas right now, and I frequently have to spell it out for people on the phone as "M-A-N-A-S-S-A-S, like Man-rear end-as".

But for real though, we can't erase the fact that this war happened, and it is entirely to our detriment as a nation to whitewash the whole thing. Take the flags down in state capitals, because it never should have been there in the first place; but leave it alone at memorials and battlefields, because that's exactly where it belongs.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

BLARGHLE posted:

I live in Manassas right now, and I frequently have to spell it out for people on the phone as "M-A-N-A-S-S-A-S, like Man-rear end-as".

But for real though, we can't erase the fact that this war happened, and it is entirely to our detriment as a nation to whitewash the whole thing. Take the flags down in state capitals, because it never should have been there in the first place; but leave it alone at memorials and battlefields, because that's exactly where it belongs.

do the memorials have to be sitting right outside the black part of town after getting moved there during the Civil Rights era is a perfectly cogent question, however

it's not as if their centuries-long rest is being broken for the first time in millenia

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

do the memorials have to be sitting right outside the black part of town after getting moved there during the Civil Rights era is a perfectly cogent question, however

it's not as if their centuries-long rest is being broken for the first time in millenia

No, the memorials should be sitting by actually memorial-worthy sites, like battlefields, or graves, or whatever.

Come to Northern Virginia, and walk around the Manassas Battlefield Park. Pretty much all of the civil war was fought in VA, with a big chunk of that being fought in Northern Virginia, two major battles of which were fought in and around Manassas (one won by the south, the other technically a union retreat rather than a confederate victory), and we still have a thorough and objective account of the whole war in all of our state and city run parks. Take a cruise down route 11, and you'll find a lot of the less glorious stories of the war on state sponsored placards and markers, and the occasional statue. Hell, I just recently found one within Manassas about a half assed Confederate fort- Hooe Fort. They put a bunch of fake cannons on a hill and hoped nobody would notice, but the Union army totally did (after a while), although it didn't make much difference either way.

Stories like that were all over the war- like Fort Macon in North Carolina. It was a seemingly indefensible position that was really ingeniously defended; and then was basically defeated by itself, and also what was at the time some of the biggest artillery ever deployed. It's a very interesting place to visit, and also has beaches, so it's pretty awesome.

Nobody wants to talk about that though. It's all about how some loving retard shot up some loving church because they were black or some poo poo. Okay, whatever, that's a lovely reason to shoot up a place, if you're concerned with racism, and not a mass murderer. The battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia didn't force him to shoot anybody, and it's a stupid thing to focus on, and it detracts from the real issues of poverty and race relations in the south.

Yeah, we have a ton of roads named after Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee, and Stonewall Jackson, and occasionally James Longstreet, but they were all extremely influential Virginians(with the exception of Davis) before the war. It was a big deal that these West Point educated officers effectively defected to run the Army of Northern Virginia, but to call them traitors and label their battle flag a terrorist symbol seems a bit retarded.

Disclaimer- I don't endorse or condone slavery, and my family was either too poor to own slaves, or was too busy being in Europe at the time of the Civil War.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 15, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

BLARGHLE posted:

but to call them traitors and label their battle flag a terrorist symbol seems a bit retarded.

I don't get it because you can just say the truth (that the Confederacy fought for slavery) and they're still bad guys. You don't need to resort to name-calling with "traitors" or "terrorists" (which you could also call the colonials who fought for America in the Revolutionary War). It's enough that they fought to enslave other human beings.

Hell, the whole traitor thing just lets them say "yeah they were traitors like our Founding Fathers" and then that just serves to prop up the Confederacy. Just stick to the slave aspect, please.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 15, 2015

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

burritolingus posted:

I don't get it because you can just say the truth (that the Confederacy fought for slavery) and they're still bad guys. You don't need to resort to name-calling with "traitors" or "terrorists" (which you could also call the colonials who fought for America in the Revolutionary War). It's enough that they fought to enslave other human beings.

I never said that the Confederates were the good guys.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 15, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

BLARGHLE posted:

I never said that they Confederates were the good guys.

I realize this.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

True, but how far do you have to move them before you either see the proposal to remove them, or just accept that as an inert memorial incapable of actually so much as yelling slurs at people- perhaps it's best to just get over their existence and remember history is first and foremost a catalog of human failing short of causing extinction. For us. All of us, anyway.

Really, if it's that bad just... I don't know, modify the monument to either more accurately represent the sinister aspects of the south or maybe a small sign saying "OWNED" or "DESTROYED".

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

which is a tricky situation in itself - I heard that a lot of the apps Apple took down were basically analogous to games like Sid Meier's Gettysburg, which you'd be hard pressed to categorize as anything but educational. there's a fine line between that kind of application and celebratory merchandise that's going to be really difficult to tread

it just all goes to show gently caress you assholes for causing this loving nonsense in the first place - if you'd just loving realized "well poo poo maybe racist slavery really isn't a good idea" sooner we wouldn't have these retarded quandaries running circles around us two centuries later

It's not tricky so much as stupid and the natural outcome of getting really exciting about fighting THE BAD FLAG. If the flag is so very BAD, why tolerate it's existence at all? What? You don't want it purged from museums?

Why do you NEED the flag to be there instead of maybe a short paragraph describing how it looked with appropriate trigger warnings? Is that closet racism my self-ignorant desire to prove more righteous in front of our peers detects in you?

Meanwhile you keep typing like the Confederate Army is milling around outside your home with a hangdog expression. "gently caress YOU GUYS! YOU DID THIS! YOU DID THIS!"

They're all dead, pal. They are physically beyond caring in the slightest about how much you hate the flag and if they could be brought back would still not give the slightest poo poo what you think about what, for the vast majority of them, wasn't even the Flag of the South in favor of perhaps going "HOLY SHEEIT, I'M ALIVE AGAIN AN' IT'S THE FUCKIN' FUTURE!"

Any spiting of them is going to be entirely in your head, so just grab a pair of Battle Standard of Northern Virginia boxers and a can of beans.

Let the hicks keep reminding us that first and foremost the South was profoundly, willfully ignorant.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

BLARGHLE posted:

making sense

please do be not making sense in the sjw flag thread

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

The Snark posted:

True, but how far do you have to move them before you either see the proposal to remove them, or just accept that as an inert memorial incapable of actually so much as yelling slurs at people- perhaps it's best to just get over their existence and remember history is first and foremost a catalog of human failing short of causing extinction. For us. All of us, anyway.

Really, if it's that bad just... I don't know, modify the monument to either more accurately represent the sinister aspects of the south or maybe a small sign saying "OWNED" or "DESTROYED".

It's not tricky so much as stupid and the natural outcome of getting really exciting about fighting THE BAD FLAG. If the flag is so very BAD, why tolerate it's existence at all? What? You don't want it purged from museums?

Why do you NEED the flag to be there instead of maybe a short paragraph describing how it looked with appropriate trigger warnings? Is that closet racism my self-ignorant desire to prove more righteous in front of our peers detects in you?

Meanwhile you keep typing like the Confederate Army is milling around outside your home with a hangdog expression. "gently caress YOU GUYS! YOU DID THIS! YOU DID THIS!"

They're all dead, pal. They are physically beyond caring in the slightest about how much you hate the flag and if they could be brought back would still not give the slightest poo poo what you think about what, for the vast majority of them, wasn't even the Flag of the South in favor of perhaps going "HOLY SHEEIT, I'M ALIVE AGAIN AN' IT'S THE FUCKIN' FUTURE!"

Any spiting of them is going to be entirely in your head, so just grab a pair of Battle Standard of Northern Virginia boxers and a can of beans.

Let the hicks keep reminding us that first and foremost the South was profoundly, willfully ignorant.

I know a lot of this is sarcasm, but god drat, this strawman argument makes me wish I could give a lecture on American history.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Gah, you're right. I have used strawmen entirely too often as of late. But it's so EASY! You can make them say whatever you like! It's great for comedic effect sometimes.

In all seriousness I need to work on moving away from it. I've picked it up like a disease.

Anyhow, feel free. It's not like the lecture's going to tank the quality of the thread.

On the contrary, one of the best things that can happen as a result from this silly flailing at symbols is that people learn more about history- including me.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 15, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

BLARGHLE posted:

I know a lot of this is sarcasm, but god drat, this strawman argument makes me wish I could give a lecture on American history.

Go for it.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
pulls out corn cob pipe, puts other hand on knee, takes a puff looks you square in the eye

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Too drunk to do it justice, and blah blah blah, it's 3:30 in the morning, and everything I have typed up has ended up sounding retarded.

I am going to bed, but everyone is welcome to read more at this loving page, assholes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's not like everybody who fought for the Confederacy did so because they loved slavery, just like I'm sure not every Nazi soldier wad an anti-semite. In the end you've got to fight for your home. Just because history has deemed one side's cause unworthy doesn't negate the heroism of a lot of the individual soldiers.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Posters Who Capitalize Every Word are loving Idiots

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Frackie Robinson posted:

It's not like everybody who fought for the Confederacy did so because they loved slavery, just like I'm sure not every Nazi soldier wad an anti-semite. In the end you've got to fight for your home. Just because history has deemed one side's cause unworthy doesn't negate the heroism of a lot of the individual soldiers.

If you're heroically fighting on the side of slavery/genocide then you are a bad even if you don't much care for slavery/genocide or were just following orders or whatever excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

This is OK I think. Use the original confederate flag and teach people why the current Georgia flag is kinda lovely.

• Locked thread