Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

This would have worked if they had gone for a Guardians Of The Galaxy route with this film. I'm not even sure why they have such a grimdark movie with a cast of unknown characters. I'm betting that the reason it's being made is because it's going to be more of a Joker movie than any of these characters (excluding Harley).

If the Suicide Squad were all rear end in a top hat wisecracking smartasses who were forced to work together even though they could barely tolerate each other (like the Guardians of the Galaxy) it could be an awesome fun movie but DC don't seem interested in making awesome fun movies.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpu6yPAFHrs He's not making that up, either. It's real, it's made by a lot of the old animated-series/JLA people, and it's dumb as hell.

I don't think she shows up in the movie, though. Pretty sure she's dead after that.

The other two shorts they made to hype this up don't mesh with this one at all. DarkWonderwoman just likes to have sex and is sort of snarky. DarkSuperman isn't even all that dark. He might kill a person if it looks like there's no other way, but he's pretty sorry about it and doesn't do it because he wants the blood inside them.

Nah, DarkSuperman kills the gently caress out of all sorts of people in the movie and doesn't feel the slightest remorse. "Oh you're a terrorist?" /snaps neck
Also in this version he wasn't raised by the Kents in Kansas but by Mexican immigrants (he's an illegal alien, get it?) so he's not so keen on all that "Truth, Justice and the American Way" stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So what's this, this movies gay? Are we supposed to be some sort of shitposting squad?

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

i'm the mario

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

dustyn_echoes posted:

why the gently caress did they cast zuckerbag

Seriously. I've hated that guy since he was Michael Cera.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
They can't cast a black guy as a main villain in a movie that's going to be torn asunder by Caucasian super heroes.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

DC don't seem interested in making awesome fun movies.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Taint Reaper posted:

So what's this, this movies gay? Are we supposed to be some sort of shitposting squad?

Are we supposed to be some kind of shitposting squad?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Applewhite posted:

Are we supposed to be some kind of shitposting squad?

gently caress you my day is ruined because Squirrel Girl is appearing in the second Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The Taint Reaper posted:

gently caress you my day is ruined because Squirrel Girl is appearing in the second Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Taint reaped again.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

If the Suicide Squad were all rear end in a top hat wisecracking smartasses who were forced to work together even though they could barely tolerate each other (like the Guardians of the Galaxy) it could be an awesome fun movie but DC don't seem interested in making awesome fun movies.

They wouldn't need to all be rear end in a top hat wisecracking smartasses (I mean, Groot wasn't and he definitely worked), but yeah, exactly, DC films just aren't fun, they're just kind of depressing, in part because it's disappointing that DC has fun characters that they refuse to have fun with.

Again, they really should have took a chance and made the Jack Black Green Lantern movie. Instead, they made a safe film and it was terrible. Or instead of casting Khal Drogo as Aquaman, given it to someone who is funny because Aquaman sort of is a joke no matter how hard you try to dial up the badass on him with hooks and beards and what not. Or do a Plastic Man movie with someone fun. Have a little joy in making these funny book movie.

Instead they think people want "badass" superheroes, and outside a few dumb fanboys who'd watch your films anyways, people really don't, DC. People want fun cape cinema.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jul 16, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A Jack Black Green Lantern might have redeemed superhero movies.
Can picture him singing a power ballad as he zooms through space.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Applewhite posted:

A Jack Black Green Lantern might have redeemed superhero movies.
Can picture him singing a power ballad as he zooms through space.

Remember when they cast Stallone as the Mask oh wait no they weren't idiots they gave that to Jim Carrey and he had a ball doing it and everyone had a good time seeing it.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
guys remember when seth rogen played a sugerhero in a movie? yeah me neither

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Remember when they cast Stallone as the Mask oh wait no they weren't idiots they gave that to Jim Carrey and he had a ball doing it and everyone had a good time seeing it.

But then they made a sequel and we can't ever risk anything like that happening ever again because JESUS loving CHRIST JUST LOOK AT IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4e2EBYu3l0

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Simstim posted:

guys remember when seth rogen played a sugerhero in a movie? yeah me neither

Seth Rogen should be Batman in the next Batman.

James Franco for Robin.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I'd kinda like to see a Patrick Warburton Batman. I know he's usually associated with Superman but maybe it's time for a change up.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
But seriously Son of the Mask and Green Hornet didn't work because they cast people who have never been funny in their lives. If they'd gone dark with either film, they'd be worse, not better.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Seth Rogen should be Batman in the next Batman.

James Franco for Robin.

Just think of all the Superhero movies we nearly had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEXyNl8OaV0

The fact that we had Michael Keaton play Bruce Wayne/Batman in the 1989 movie is still amazing but he wasn't their first pick:

quote:

Parallel to the Superman casting, a who's who of Hollywood top stars were considered for the role of Batman, including Mel Gibson, Kevin Costner, Charlie Sheen, Tom Selleck and Bill Murray. Burton was pressured by Warner Bros. to cast an obvious action movie star, and had approached Pierce Brosnan, but he had no interest in playing a comic book character. Burton offered Ray Liotta, then an upcoming actor, a chance to audition after having completed Something Wild, but Liotta declined, a decision he regrets. Willem Dafoe, whom was falsely reported to be considered for the Joker, had actually been considered for Batman early in development.

quote:

Tim Curry, David Bowie, John Lithgow and James Woods were considered for the Joker. Burton wanted to cast Brad Dourif, but the studio refused. Robin Williams lobbied hard for the part.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 16, 2015

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Just think of all the Superhero movies we nearly had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEXyNl8OaV0

Could have been good.

Or at least, wouldn't have been any worse than Returns.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

burritolingus posted:

Could have been good.

Or at least, wouldn't have been any worse than Returns.

I like Superman Returns, it is a fun film.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Good thing Robin Williams didn't play the Joker or he might have killed himself 20 years sooner.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The guy directing this also did Fury which was awesome as hell

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

The fact that we had Michael Keaton play Bruce Wayne/Batman in the 1989 movie is still amazing but he wasn't their first pick:

Bill Murray could have been a good Bruce Wayne.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Vegetable posted:

The guy directing this also did Fury which was awesome as hell

lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Bill Murray could have been a good Bruce Wayne.

Bill Murray as Batman and David Bowie as the Joker. I can't even imagine what it would have been like.

Also if anyone is still wondering why movie studios keep loving up certain iconic superhero characters they should watch this Kevin Smith clip if they haven't seen it already, it pretty much explains everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2KB1dEDdk

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 16, 2015

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Tim Curry Joker would've owned pretty hard, dang

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Why is Angela in the GotG comic? She looks like a lost traveler from a parallel universe of super edgy poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Germstore posted:

Why is Angela in the GotG comic? She looks like a lost traveler from a parallel universe of super edgy poo poo.

That's because she is a lost traveler from a parallel universe of super edgy poo poo.

Neil Gaiman was guest writer on one issue of Spawn and co-created the character with Todd McFarlane under the understanding that they would share ownership of the character but McFarlane later tried to gently caress him over and deny him any of the profits from the collected reprints of that issue amongst a bunch of other shady bullshit. Gaiman took him to court and won (and donated the money from that to charity) and in a later private settlement he gained full ownership of that character. He then immediately sold it to Marvel (allegedly for just $1) as the ultimate "gently caress you" to McFarlane.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

the red capes are coming

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

burritolingus posted:

But seriously Son of the Mask and Green Hornet didn't work because they cast people who have never been funny in their lives. If they'd gone dark with either film, they'd be worse, not better.

whoah forgot all about rogen's green hornet. was it his fault that movie was so forgettable? at the time i remember thinking he was good in the role but the film itself was unfortunately boring. funny guys being super is cool (the ironman is a good example, or barry lyndon in the film barry lyndon) but the story still has to be not dumb. seth rogen is definitely a funny enough dude even if his particular brand of rambunctious judaism is a little played.

im full of poo poo posted:

whats with all the movies about superheroes lately. how about a movie about some real american heroes, the police

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

umm dunno if you're kidding but the police are british. i bet leto would make a good sting if he only wears cool harkonnen outfits the whole time and occasionally flies like his fat wicked uncle

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I like Superman Returns, it is a fun film.

it is the opposite of fun

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Except for Winter Soldier, Marvel's latest films have all fallen a little flat for me, especially Age of Ultron.
It just bugs me how Blaze everybody is in the face of danger. One guy doing it would be cool. Two guys doing it would be believable for a team of superheroes, but to have every single character including non-superheroes be totally nonchalant in a deadly situation is just bad writing.

It really hit home for me when Ultron's goons pointed a gun in the face of the arms dealer guy and he didn't even blink.
Even dangerous men who live hard lives usually don't generally react well to having guns pointed at them, and this guy is relatively small time. There is no reason to believe he'd be totally unfazed at being on the wrong end of a firearm.

At no point do I recall anyone having to overcome fear in order to accomplish something difficult. Everyone is just automatically brave the whole time and snarky to boot and it sucks.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
"hey let's do that first superman movie all over again but make this one a cool enormous black hole of fun and personality so everyone is just dull and boring as poo poo so much that even kevin spacey is boring and lovely instead of a funny dude who munches on the scenery while everyone's funny bones are collectively tickled so it takes SA forums user gatekeeper a literal four attempts at trying to watch this movie before he can reach the end without falling asleep which is two more attempts than it took him to finish CLOUD loving ATLAS"

- a child predator

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

sorry forgot were not supposed to sign our posts

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

Except for Winter Soldier, Marvel's latest films have all fallen a little flat for me, especially Age of Ultron.

I'm gonna go see Ant Man tomorrow, let's see how their latest offering fares.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Haven't seen age of ultron yet

I havent been to the cinema at all this year. Missed Mad Max too, sigh

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

Haven't seen age of ultron yet

I havent been to the cinema at all this year. Missed Mad Max too, sigh

Don't both with Age of Ultron. If you want to see a Disney movie for children go watch Inside Out instead.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I'm not seeing another DC movie until they make one about Section 8 from Hitman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_(comics)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Also in this version he wasn't raised by the Kents in Kansas but by Mexican immigrants (he's an illegal alien, get it?) so he's not so keen on all that "Truth, Justice and the American Way" stuff.

You had me at Mexican

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I WANT MY MOVIES BASED ON COMIC BOOKS TO BE SUPER SERIOUS

• Locked thread