Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Goddamn long-ears comin' up here and takin' the jobs of hard-working Dalmascans! Go back to your trees, ya drat rabbits! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Scalding Coffee posted:

Of course there are.

There is a species of female only lizards so anything is possible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_whiptail

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Schwartzcough posted:

Goddamn long-ears comin' up here and takin' the jobs of hard-working Dalmascans! Go back to your trees, ya drat rabbits! :bahgawd:
I think it is more like them's be loitering all o'er and panhandlin' until someone tells them to get a life.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Xlyfindel posted:

Ashe is so forgettable that I was thinking Vagrant Story Ashley until the pics got posted of her. Seriously, Fran Cid and Balthier carried 12.

:colbert:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Silegna posted:

There is only one confirmed one . In tactics advance, there's a male Viera summoner.

Is it Hugh Hefner?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The reason the viera are bad is nothing to do with them being a race of Playboy mascots in metal bikini.

They are frigging elves in disguise. :bahgawd:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

George posted:

I'm going to be charitable and assume you mean because the sound samples have some static?

Here I was thinking because her accent is un-loving-intelligable. She opens her mouth and the sound of a dying whale comes out.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

FillInTheBlank posted:

There are male Viera but they live in their own settlements and do not interact with female Viera much.

Let it never be said that Square doesn't know their audience.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Male and female Viera are almost indistinguishable. The one posted on the last page was definitely male.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Is it Hugh Hefner?

:boom:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

EggsAisle posted:

I can't remember if it was mentioned or not in this thread, but IIRC one of the Star Ocean games features a protagonist named "Edge Maverick". That almost crosses the line from "ridiculous" to "sad". Almost.

This name kicks rear end. I have never played any SO game so I'm gonna use it for a character somewhere.

Also I never really liked FF12, it felt like a single-player MMO. I haven't really touched it since my initial playthrough, but I recall going from some city, past a desert, through some oil field(?), through some forest where there were some farmable cats, through some OTHER field before finally ending up in a snowfield which was where my destination was. I might be misremembering slightly but it really felt like an endless slog. And I kept thinking "Really? It just goes on and on. Is there no more story?"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Foxhound posted:

This name kicks rear end. I have never played any SO game so I'm gonna use it for a character somewhere.

Also I never really liked FF12, it felt like a single-player MMO. I haven't really touched it since my initial playthrough, but I recall going from some city, past a desert, through some oil field(?), through some forest where there were some farmable cats, through some OTHER field before finally ending up in a snowfield which was where my destination was. I might be misremembering slightly but it really felt like an endless slog. And I kept thinking "Really? It just goes on and on. Is there no more story?"

I really loved traveling in FF12. It felt to me like a natural progression from a world map like the earlier FF games, and I liked to poke around and explore for rare monsters and treasure. Everyone hates the Yensa Sandsea (the oil place you were talking about) but it was one of my favorite areas in the game :shobon: Similarly, the Pharos at Ridorana is probably one of my favorite final dungeons in any RPG ever. But you're right, the game does get incredibly thin on the plot in the middle, and it actually gets even worse about it past the point where you stopped playing. After you leave Rabanastre to go see the Gran Kiltias all the way till when you go to Archades towards the end, they pad out story scenes too much. It's probably the biggest problem with the game along with bad audio quality.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

FF12 would've been better with multiplayer IMO.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

I really loved traveling in FF12. It felt to me like a natural progression from a world map like the earlier FF games, and I liked to poke around and explore for rare monsters and treasure. Everyone hates the Yensa Sandsea (the oil place you were talking about) but it was one of my favorite areas in the game :shobon: Similarly, the Pharos at Ridorana is probably one of my favorite final dungeons in any RPG ever. But you're right, the game does get incredibly thin on the plot in the middle, and it actually gets even worse about it past the point where you stopped playing. After you leave Rabanastre to go see the Gran Kiltias all the way till when you go to Archades towards the end, they pad out story scenes too much. It's probably the biggest problem with the game along with bad audio quality.

I also liked travelling across those areas in lieu of a world map. The problem I found was that the traditional 'dungeon' areas were terribly uninteresting.

The first mine area was fun especially the gimmick of chasing down tge bugs tgat steal the electricity but after that there are 2 more mine dungeons, 2 fortress type areas and the worst final dungeon ever, that airship.

Also the towns were very hollow beyond accepting sidequests. Remember when events used to happen in or involve towns? My fav sequences from older games are stuff like sneaking out of South Figaro in VI or Wall Market in VII. Since FFX, towns have devolved into hubs where you watch a cutscene and go shopping.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
The first thing I ever saw of FFXII was the part where Vaan ran around Bhujerba yelling "BAUSCH LIVES!!".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I rwally like FF12s fields. The best dungeon is Giruvegan and the mist forest and ruins right before it. Also the Necrohol is amazing since its Final Fantasy Chernobyl.

I also like the implied histories that you come across. Rabanastre has a shitload more ruins and dilapidated structures all over the place than Archades, which just built tall over its old. It supports the datalog (one of the best 'datalogs' ever since nothing plot critical is contained, its all well written fluff) very nicely.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I thought that Fran's accent was cool and an interesting bit of worldbuilding. She's a bunny and has big bunny teeth so her voice patterns are altered accordingly - it's not dissimlar to the sound of people with real-life speech disorders, the kind you might have if you had a hare lip or some other form of articulation variation.

Not sure if it was intentional or if it's even canon that bunny girls have big teeth, but I liked it as an idea

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Rooreelooo posted:

I thought that Fran's accent was cool and an interesting bit of worldbuilding. She's a bunny and has big bunny teeth so her voice patterns are altered accordingly - it's not dissimlar to the sound of people with real-life speech disorders, the kind you might have if you had a hare lip or some other form of articulation variation.

Not sure if it was intentional or if it's even canon that bunny girls have big teeth, but I liked it as an idea

I just thought they went for an Icelandic accent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X1xcfcDjT0

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sordas Volantyr posted:

The first thing I ever saw of FFXII was the part where Vaan ran around Bhujerba yelling "BAUSCH LIVES!!".

In context, it's Vaan making a stir by exposing a political cover-up to get the mayor of flying mine town's attention, because the party needed to reach him for assistance.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm BASCH FON RONSENBERG OF DALMASCA!

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's kind of weird how openly xenophobic you can still be about accents these days.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

In context, it's Vaan making a stir by exposing a political cover-up to get the mayor of flying mine town's attention, because the party needed to reach him for assistance.

Yeah, I know, I later picked up the game myself.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Renoistic posted:

I just thought they went for an Icelandic accent.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s17dABc0cWBg

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
When I heard Fran speak, my first thought was, "Man, someone on the localization team really likes Bjork..."

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

TommyGun85 posted:

I also liked travelling across those areas in lieu of a world map. The problem I found was that the traditional 'dungeon' areas were terribly uninteresting.

The first mine area was fun especially the gimmick of chasing down tge bugs tgat steal the electricity but after that there are 2 more mine dungeons, 2 fortress type areas and the worst final dungeon ever, that airship.

Also the towns were very hollow beyond accepting sidequests. Remember when events used to happen in or involve towns? My fav sequences from older games are stuff like sneaking out of South Figaro in VI or Wall Market in VII. Since FFX, towns have devolved into hubs where you watch a cutscene and go shopping.

You should never set foot on the Bahamut. The game is over after the Pharos.

Also, the towns in FFXII involve at least as many story quests as previous FFs, and many very interesting side quests play out within them. Arguing that the story has too much Star Wars in it or is poorly paced is understandable, but arguing that the bonus content is lacking is simply wrong.

Also, yeah, complaining that a video game character has an accent is pretty trashy.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Actually, I always thought the game should have kept going after the final battle because, in typical Final Fantasy fashion, the party should have battled the Gods responsible for all this poo poo.

However, the final battle in itself is great, and the final battle music rivals One Winged Angel IMO. Hitoshi Sakimoto's music definitely holds its own against Nobuo's.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zenguitarman posted:

Actually, I always thought the game should have kept going after the final battle because, in typical Final Fantasy fashion, the party should have battled the Gods responsible for all this poo poo.

However, the final battle in itself is great, and the final battle music rivals One Winged Angel IMO. Hitoshi Sakimoto's music definitely holds its own against Nobuo's.

"Battle for Freedom" is amazing. Easily one of my favorite FF final boss themes, if not my absolute favorite. I have a hard time deciding.

Also "the gods responsible for all this poo poo" was Venat, who you killed along with Vayne when you beat The Undying.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Considering the thread was talking about FFT before, is War of the Lions any good? Saw it on the Google store and I want a good offline-game for my phone.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Carlioo posted:

Considering the thread was talking about FFT before, is War of the Lions any good? Saw it on the Google store and I want a good offline-game for my phone.

It is mixed.

The new translation is hit-or-miss depending on if you like the faux-Shakespearean dialogue, but is very comprehendible and thus an improvement over the original. The new content isn't bad (although I can't speak for the multiplayer, never played it) and it fixes most of the bugs. The bad part is that the sound was butchered and spell effects come with completely unnecessary (there's a fan patch that eliminates it even on the actual hardware) slowdown.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Gnoman posted:

It is mixed.

The new translation is hit-or-miss depending on if you like the faux-Shakespearean dialogue, but is very comprehendible and thus an improvement over the original. The new content isn't bad (although I can't speak for the multiplayer, never played it) and it fixes most of the bugs. The bad part is that the sound was butchered and spell effects come with completely unnecessary (there's a fan patch that eliminates it even on the actual hardware) slowdown.

Worth warning: The framerate being halved during spell-effects was an artifact of being on the hideously useless UMD format that PSPs used and doesn't actually need to happen if you're running it through a non-UMD option such as off a memory card or on an Android/iPad. The framerate cut during spell effects is still present in the Android/iOS version, as it is a straight 1:1 port of the PSP game. There is no fan patch for mobile, obviously.

War of the Lions is perfectly acceptable, but expect a lot of your flashy stuff like spells and summons and... well, basically everything that isn't "hit dude with stick" to run at 30FPS on a system made for 60.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Didn't the mobile versions get an official patch somewhere along the line that sped up their spell effects again?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vil posted:

Didn't the mobile versions get an official patch somewhere along the line that sped up their spell effects again?

If they did, I didn't hear about it; all I know personally is from user reviews, which aren't always up-to-date. If they did, then yeah, it's definitely worth picking up, no caveats.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
According to some post on Reddit, at least the Android version does not have the slowdown anymore. But it might be weirdly letterboxed to fit an iPhone aspect ratio.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Final Fantasy Tactics is the third best game in the franchise behind 9 and 7. So yes, definitely buy it. Or just read Orange Fluffy Sheep's excellent LP.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

KataraniSword posted:

Worth warning: The framerate being halved during spell-effects was an artifact of being on the hideously useless UMD format that PSPs used and doesn't actually need to happen if you're running it through a non-UMD option such as off a memory card or on an Android/iPad.

It's worse than that. It didn't need to happen on UMD either. You can run it full speed no problems if you install the patch and just run from your UMD drive instead of copying to your memory stick. Thanks, whoever ported that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Skyridge posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is the third best game in the franchise behind 9 and 7. So yes, definitely buy it. Or just read Orange Fluffy Sheep's excellent LP.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The Once and Double King The War of the Lions.

I still love the original, bad translation and all.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

FeyerbrandX posted:

I still love the original, bad translation and all.

It's really not that bad, just in dire need of an editor. There's a few truly bizarre parts like the end of Chapter 3, but most of it is just minor typing mistakes and the occasional data mishap (like the Blaze Gun being ice-elemental). The actual dialogue is generally pretty clear and sensible. Final Fantasy VII is the one where everything went to hell.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Also, I've never understood the hated for the War of the Lions script when I've never heard someone criticise the writing in any of the Fire Emblem games (hint: they're very similar).

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
FFT had a much worse translation than FFVII, good god. Even names are inconsistent.

Skyridge posted:

Also, I've never understood the hated for the War of the Lions script when I've never heard someone criticise the writing in any of the Fire Emblem games (hint: they're very similar).
Aren't Fire Emblem games given fairly modern translations (I've only played Awakening, mind), where WOTL is all flowery and desperately shakespearean to the point of being obfuscating and losing dramatic impact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Skyridge posted:

The Olde Timey talk in War of the Lions is laid on a bit thick compared to Fire Emblem, plus it's a retranslation so there's a lot of rose-tinted glasses being worn by those who play it.

A better comparison would be to Tactics Ogre games.

• Locked thread