Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a step back from RE4 in pretty much every way. Though I hear the recent patch improved some stuff though, like getting rid of the lovely letterbox effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mak0rz posted:

I was extremely interested in the evil within because it's a shameless re4 clone.

then I discovered that it doesn't have the goofy campiness of re4 and I don't like the sound of that one bit!!

It does not, no, the main protagonist is pretty much a non-character and the villain is just the regular kind of serious instead of the over-the-top evil serious. It does have RE4's penchant for weird poo poo that makes you go "huuuh??" when you look at it though. There's a part where the walls start dribbling this weird ooze which then turns into like a dozen teeny tiny calf-high versions of the normal bullet fodder enemies, who then start running around aimlessly and screaming.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a step back from RE4 in pretty much every way. Though I hear the recent patch improved some stuff though, like getting rid of the lovely letterbox effect.

I wouldn't say that, I think there are a number of cool things that the RE series still doesn't have today like the crossbow and its exploding/freezing/harpoon/electric trap bolts. The crossbow really is a cool gimmick weapon, there's a lot you can do with it. The game also has pretty good stealth mechanics a la The Last of Us and the AI isn't all that bad to match.

As for the letterboxing, it's gone in the gameplay if you toggle it off but it's baked into the cutscenes, so every time there's a cutscene the letterboxing slides back in and then slides out again after, which is pretty funny

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 16, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Either way it's def. worth 12 dollars imo if you're even a little interested, which is like 70+% off from its usual steam price

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

The game also has pretty good stealth mechanics

haha yeah okay sure buddy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you don't get enjoyment out of sneaking up to a zombie, throwing a bottle at his head, and then sprinting right up to him and stealth killing him, I'm sorry but you don't actually like video games

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Either way it's def. worth 12 dollars imo if you're even a little interested, which is like 70+% off from its usual steam price

curious what your av is from; is that the dude from black sails? am I missing new black sails where he has a revolver instead of a flintlock?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jon Do posted:

curious what your av is from; is that the dude from black sails? am I missing new black sails where he has a revolver instead of a flintlock?
It's Barry from Resident Evil Revelations 2.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

theultimo posted:

Jesus last time I played warframe was a year ago, man did they flesh it out. Seriously check it out, some of the best coop play I've had.
Did they fix the randomly generated levels making big huge rooms where the only way to proceed is to find the one open vent out of 30?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Great Joe posted:

Did they fix the randomly generated levels making big huge rooms where the only way to proceed is to find the one open vent out of 30?

I've had that happen still sadly :/

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Guild of Dungeoneering is super fun and has charm out the rear end

maybe not worth $15 for everyone, i'm sure it will be on sale for $5 or $10 pretty regularly like every other indie game on Steam, but i didn't want to wait and i don't regret buying it full price

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In Training posted:

Guacamelee is much much better.

Seems to have a much more amusing premise, anyway

Is it more platforming or exploration focused? Ori was more platforming/movement and combat than exploration/finding hidden poo poo, and I really liked that about it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

Is it more platforming or exploration focused? Ori was more platforming/movement and combat than exploration/finding hidden poo poo, and I really liked that about it
It's more focused on beat-em-up style combat and platforming.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

It has beat em up combat that utilizes new moves in the fights and for navigating the environment. It's very cool, not heavy on exploration though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It is also rich in hot memes. Really good game though

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It is also rich in hot memes. Really good game though

It's literally neck deep in memes. Really old ones to boot. Still, very good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
The memes are mostly just posters in the background, there aren't any characters going around talking about cake or taking arrows to the knee.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

The memes are mostly just posters in the background, there aren't any characters going around talking about cake or taking arrows to the knee.
one of the recurring bosses spins his revolvers around and shouts "TROLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

one of the recurring bosses spins his revolvers around and shouts "TROLOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!"

Good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Anyone who can't play Guacamelee because of the memes deserves to get mocked.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol I played that character from beginning to end and I never noticed that, lucky me I guess

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel bad for you if memes have genuinely consumed your life so much that you can't enjoy any media that has a meme in it

Memes suck and are the lowest common denominator of humor but letting that suck the enjoyment out of a genuinely good game like Guacamelee makes you the chump in that situation

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what part of me saying "really good game" translated as "I do not like this game"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In Training posted:

It has beat em up combat that utilizes new moves in the fights and for navigating the environment. It's very cool, not heavy on exploration though.

That's fine by me, I don't enjoy exploring in video games in general let alone metroidvanias. Maybe that's why I liked Ori so much, it was much more technique than hunt-the-pixel

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Which way does Axiom Verge lean on that scale, anyway, it looks like it might be kinda pixel-hunt-y :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

what part of me saying "really good game" translated as "I do not like this game"

I didn't say you didn't like the game, I said that letting something as dumb as memes drag it down for you is pointless

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
why is every god drat thing on the internet called a meme now???

invent some new words people. i don't call every band that uses the Western musical scale "a rock band"!!!!!

:mad:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Which way does Axiom Verge lean on that scale, anyway, it looks like it might be kinda pixel-hunt-y :(

Axiom Verge belongs to the the Metroid 2 school of wondering around until you find the next path.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

axiom verge is all about using the right thing on the right pixel which may or may not be visually distinct from the background. its also all about bad boss fights and saving all the movement upgrades that make the game less tedious to play for the final act

definitely one of the more overhyped games this year.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 16, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

precision posted:

invent some new words people. i don't call every band that uses the Western musical scale "a rock band"!!!!!

I remember when the word meme was only used in conversations about the plot of MGS

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

axiom verge is all about using the right thing on the right pixel which may or may not be visually distinct from the background. its also all about bad boss fights and saving all the movement upgrades that make the game less tedious to play for the final act

Well that's pretty damning, maybe I'll give that one a pass after all :(

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

I remember when the word meme was only used in conversations about the plot of MGS

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

:perfect:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

precision posted:

What other word is there for massively repeated jokes that spread throughout a culture without becoming timeless?

And don't forget, man, memes are the DNA of the soul.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Well that's pretty damning, maybe I'll give that one a pass after all :(

its fun, i beat it, but you have to be really bored of playing super metroid to enjoy it because it does things differently just to do them differently and subvert your expectations but a lot of the time its something dumb like a fake boss fight (there's a long stretch of consecutive boss fights that are fake and not actually boss fights in a game with too few bosses that aren't poo poo) or an item that is a pain in rear end to use until the end of the game.

oh also the enemies in the final sections of the game are really bullshit and the sound effects throughout are aggressively bad.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 16, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

What other word is there for massively repeated jokes that spread throughout a culture without becoming timeless?

How is the smug face of willy wonka not the most timeless and epic thing, come on

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
True

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I feel bad for you, son.
This guy's got 99 problems but a meme ain't one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do "99 Problems" at karaoke a lot. It's a good song.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

I do "99 Problems" at karaoke a lot. It's a good song.
You hate women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

How is the smug face of willy wonka not the most timeless and epic thing, come on

I prefer the animated gif of him doing the angry "YOU LOSE! GOOD DAY SIR!"

applicable to many gaming situations.

• Locked thread