Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i just went with it, i was going to do a factory reset but i'm kind of afraid to now after yesterday working so well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Radical. Downloading now. :woop:

E: Jesus have mercy this thing is even faster (somehow) with Lollipop. :stare:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 7, 2015

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Kyrosiris posted:

Radical. Downloading now. :woop:

E: Jesus have mercy this thing is even faster (somehow) with Lollipop. :stare:

Here's the 3dMark result from immediately after installing 5.1:

Either Lollipop did some serious under-the-hood optimization or I have the Joey's Rattata of Droid Turbos.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mine are pretty comparable, so I think it was under the hood improvements:

I'd already spent a couple hours playing with things so it's not "fresh new 5.1" but drat.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Yeah the 5.1 upgrade made the Turbo feel like a new phone again. All the waiting and nerd tears on the Motorola forums were worth it.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I'm dumb and I didn't back up my photos that were on my phone before I upgraded to lollipop on my turbo. Is updating supposed to wipe out your photos/some other data?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Nope, not unless you do a factory reset.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Nope, not unless you do a factory reset.

Man...wtf... There's nothing left in my Gallery app from before the update.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Man...wtf... There's nothing left in my Gallery app from before the update.

Good thing they're all backed up to Google photos right?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Since it appears that VZW is now whitelisting Nexus 6's, is there any reason to pay a premium on a VZW branded one over an unlocked one?

Edit: There's a corporate seller on Swappa selling VZW N6's for $419 or the Unlocked N6 for $398.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 11, 2015

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

JayKay posted:

Since it appears that VZW is now whitelisting Nexus 6's, is there any reason to pay a premium on a VZW branded one over an unlocked one?

Edit: There's a corporate seller on Swappa selling VZW N6's for $419 or the Unlocked N6 for $398.

My playstore N6 works like a dream. And it's unlocked....

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Anyone with an iPhone 6 have issues with LTE? I consistently need to reboot or toggle airplane mode for it to actually transfer data with 4+ bars of LTE. I have reset network settings and the whole phone. I'm not jail broken or anything. Phone problem, general network congestion or...?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Protocol7 posted:

Anyone with an iPhone 6 have issues with LTE? I consistently need to reboot or toggle airplane mode for it to actually transfer data with 4+ bars of LTE. I have reset network settings and the whole phone. I'm not jail broken or anything. Phone problem, general network congestion or...?

I've had this issue before if I've recently been in an area with poor signal strength (usually dropping to 1x). It's like the phone tries to keep on LTE for a short while and then gives up and stays on 3G until I pop it into airplane mode.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

duffmensch posted:

I've had this issue before if I've recently been in an area with poor signal strength (usually dropping to 1x). It's like the phone tries to keep on LTE for a short while and then gives up and stays on 3G until I pop it into airplane mode.

Happens to me in downtown Denver which is by no means a low signal area. But funnily enough that sounds about right.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I'm in NJ close to NYC. Since the last carrier update or the one before LTE has been a bit flaky. I have had to toggle airplane mode when network connectivity seemed to become non responsive loading websites. I've also had to toggle airplane mode when I go from a crappy reception area to better one to get LTE back quickly instead of it taking a while to switch over automatically. That could be some flakiness with iOS though I guess.

Forgot to mention this is with an iPhone 6.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Protocol7 posted:

Happens to me in downtown Denver which is by no means a low signal area. But funnily enough that sounds about right.

I get that in some stores in Tempe. I can get full bars outside some buildings, walk inside and just watch the signal tank.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah, I get the same thing, only in Uptown.

68Bird
Sep 2, 2004
Has anything changed regarding grandfathered unlimited data plans and adding tethering? My girlfriend says Verizon told her she could only add a 2gb tethering plan despite the fact that she still has unlimited data; I've also kept unlimited all this time and added a tethering plan with no problems last year, so I'm not sure if they were just bullshitting her or not.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

68Bird posted:

Has anything changed regarding grandfathered unlimited data plans and adding tethering? My girlfriend says Verizon told her she could only add a 2gb tethering plan despite the fact that she still has unlimited data; I've also kept unlimited all this time and added a tethering plan with no problems last year, so I'm not sure if they were just bullshitting her or not.

No idea, but if you're feeling handy, just root and can fix that issue quite eaily, heh.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Is it inevitable that Verizon will force us to give up our grandfathered unlimited directly, and do we know if that time is close? I had resigned myself to the fate due to not wanting to drop a bunch of money on an off-contract phone, but I've held off picking up a new phone to better examine how much data I've been using in recent times and.. It's more than I thought it'd be. Enough that I will miss out on a 2GB line (nothing vital, but it will suck). Now I'm just sorta looking at Swappa a bunch entirely not sure what I want to do.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

68Bird posted:

Shouldn't have - just go online. It allows you to add it right from the MyVZW app or website.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Lothire posted:

Is it inevitable that Verizon will force us to give up our grandfathered unlimited directly, and do we know if that time is close? I had resigned myself to the fate due to not wanting to drop a bunch of money on an off-contract phone, but I've held off picking up a new phone to better examine how much data I've been using in recent times and.. It's more than I thought it'd be. Enough that I will miss out on a 2GB line (nothing vital, but it will suck). Now I'm just sorta looking at Swappa a bunch entirely not sure what I want to do.

I don't expect they'll force anyone anytime soon. I'm assuming there aren't very many people left with unlimited anyway. My wife and I both are still on unlimited and consider the full price of phones an easy cost to swallow relative to the convenience and usefulness of the unlimited plan.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Lothire posted:

They have been offering more data for less money over time, and I am paying less now than I ever have been with a smart phone. As time goes on I don't think unlimited data will be a major issue.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

68Bird posted:

I have 2 lines of unlimited data and use one for the main internet at the house with the Verizon hotspot feature and I have never had any problems (Somehow one month I went over 1 TB of data and still was not throttled).

Sirbloody fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 15, 2015

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Looking at getting a used Droid Turbo 64gb or HTC One M9 off Swappa, now that the Droid has lollipop. Which is the better buy? Last two phones were a Droid Maxx and Moto E, which I loved for the twist to launch camera ability. Moto E is great except for small app storage, low ram, and no flash. I tried a G4 for a few days but it was too wide, 5.2" is my limit. I need 64gb or MicroSD because I keep lots of music/videos/photos on my phone. Looks like HTC has a better processor, but the camera isn't any better than the Turbo. I've loved battery life with my Moto E, so HTC may be a step down.

My work will cover up to $400 to buy a phone, but they own the phone. I lose anything extra I pay if I leave and return it, so I'd love a Galaxy S6 but can't justify the $200-300 premium. I may wait for the Moto X 2015 to get announced to see what it costs. Aside from the poor camera and Doggcatcher getting closed due to ram use I could get by with this phone.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WeaselWeaz posted:

Looking at getting a used Droid Turbo 64gb or HTC One M9 off Swappa, now that the Droid has lollipop. Which is the better buy? Last two phones were a Droid Maxx and Moto E, which I loved for the twist to launch camera ability. Moto E is great except for small app storage, low ram, and no flash. I tried a G4 for a few days but it was too wide, 5.2" is my limit. I need 64gb or MicroSD because I keep lots of music/videos/photos on my phone. Looks like HTC has a better processor, but the camera isn't any better than the Turbo. I've loved battery life with my Moto E, so HTC may be a step down.

My work will cover up to $400 to buy a phone, but they own the phone. I lose anything extra I pay if I leave and return it, so I'd love a Galaxy S6 but can't justify the $200-300 premium. I may wait for the Moto X 2015 to get announced to see what it costs. Aside from the poor camera and Doggcatcher getting closed due to ram use I could get by with this phone.

Sounds like you should just go for the Turbo.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Sounds like you should just go for the Turbo.

I know, just wishy washy about this. Is the Galaxy S camera worth an extra $260? My wife hot pictures printed from her Moto X and they weren't that sharp, although some of that may have been Shutterfly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Moto X (old and new) have completely different cameras from the Turbo.

It's not S6 levels of quality, but I actually find it to be quite good.

The biggest deficiency in the Turbo is the lack of OIS.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WeaselWeaz posted:

I know, just wishy washy about this. Is the Galaxy S camera worth an extra $260? My wife hot pictures printed from her Moto X and they weren't that sharp, although some of that may have been Shutterfly.

The Galaxy S camera is great, i'll give it that. I don't think it's worth over $200 more though.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Moto X (old and new) have completely different cameras from the Turbo.

It's not S6 levels of quality, but I actually find it to be quite good.

The biggest deficiency in the Turbo is the lack of OIS.

Turbo's camera takes very good still images but lol if you ever try to take a picture of anything that is moving at all

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I'm headed to Verizon territory and will be picking up an iPhone 6 64gb phone. What is the consensus on edge vs the 2 year contract plan?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Ropes4u posted:

I'm headed to Verizon territory and will be picking up an iPhone 6 64gb phone. What is the consensus on edge vs the 2 year contract plan?

Depends on your data plan, edge is likely better if you have 6 GB or more.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Eschatos posted:

Depends on your data plan, edge is likely better if you have 6 GB or more.

10 or more my current plan says I am burning 30 gig month but I don't see how. Will pick up a iPhone 6 or maybe a plus once I check out the size in the store

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else get an email about another soak test for the Turbo?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

serebralassazin posted:

I'm in NJ close to NYC. Since the last carrier update or the one before LTE has been a bit flaky. I have had to toggle airplane mode when network connectivity seemed to become non responsive loading websites. I've also had to toggle airplane mode when I go from a crappy reception area to better one to get LTE back quickly instead of it taking a while to switch over automatically. That could be some flakiness with iOS though I guess.

Forgot to mention this is with an iPhone 6.
I doubt it's an iOS issue as my Nexus 6 does exactly the same thing.

Lothire posted:

They don't really have a reason to. Unlimited customers cost them nothing in subsidies and have an incentive to stick with Verizon when they would likely switch to another carrier if Verizon cut their service.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

How is Advanced Calling? I'm considering activating it on my and my parents phones for video calling since I have Android and they have iPhone, and it's closer to how FaceTime works than dealing with a separate Skype app. 3G/4G handoff not working worries me, they're in Tampa and change antennas often while driving.

Got an HTC One M9 and loving it so far. Perfect size, G4 was a monstrosity to hold in one hand. Battery life is iffy, but I was spoiled by using a low power Moto E 2nd Gen which went a full day pretty easily. May buy a battery case though, if anyone can recommend one.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

WeaselWeaz posted:

How is Advanced Calling? I'm considering activating it on my and my parents phones for video calling since I have Android and they have iPhone, and it's closer to how FaceTime works than dealing with a separate Skype app. 3G/4G handoff not working worries me, they're in Tampa and change antennas often while driving.

Got an HTC One M9 and loving it so far. Perfect size, G4 was a monstrosity to hold in one hand. Battery life is iffy, but I was spoiled by using a low power Moto E 2nd Gen which went a full day pretty easily. May buy a battery case though, if anyone can recommend one.

I literally have had maybe, 2 chances to use it ever. Not really a big difference, I would say :shrug:

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

WeaselWeaz posted:

If you can activate it you should. Why wouldn't you?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cozmosis posted:

If you can activate it you should. Why wouldn't you?

Handoff issues for one. If you often transition out of LTE areas while on calls, Advanced Calling would be really annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

bull3964 posted:

Handoff issues for one. If you often transition out of LTE areas while on calls, Advanced Calling would be really annoying.

That and it'll likely cause problems if you use a network extender.

• Locked thread